The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 06-17-2015, 11:06 PM   #1
Avenging Angel
Gaurdian Angel

Default The Official X-Men 2 (2003) Appreciation Thread

I recently saw it again and I found a new love for the film. So I thought I’d make another appreciation thread for the second movie to the X franchise.

What I loved and remembered from X2:

Nightcrawler’s opening scene. It still gets to me how awesome it was shot. Bryan brought his A-game as far as the action goes.

The teen mutants: Rogue, Iceman, Pyro. I thought it was cool how well they bonded together. Going to Bobby’s house in Boston had some of the best dialogue next to DOFP. I loved the scene where Bobby “comes out” as a mutant was fantastically done. Pyro was a great outsider. I knew he would break away and join the brotherhood. Aaron is a mature actor for his age. I thought it was nice getting to know the younger mutants.

Stryker’s story line. I thought it was well-executed and Brian Cox is one of my favorite actors from the Bourne Identity series. He played an outstanding villain. Hugh battled with him nicely. He could have offed him easily but he let the dam do it for him.

Jean’s pre-Phoenix scenes. I still loved the destruction of the missiles, how just for dramatics and insecurity she could only destroy one with her mind. Jean’s end was tragic but I loved the foreshadowing scene in the water.

Scott and Logan sharing an emotional moment together was touching. Powerful acting from both James and Hugh in the climax of the movie.

Seeing it again and again makes me grow with it. I didn’t realize how well made it was when I initially saw it. The acting and script made the movie work. Seeing the mutants unite was almost poetic. The finale scene with the president and the team still gives me shivers.

Avenging Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:19 AM   #2
Kermit_The_Frog
Whip-laaaashh

Default Re: The Official X-Men 2 (2003) Appreciation Thread

X2 was freaking awesome. Nuff said.

Kermit_The_Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:59 AM   #3
Avenging Angel
Gaurdian Angel

I thought everyone was in their element with their characters and the story flowed naturally.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:36 PM   #4
Kermit_The_Frog
Whip-laaaashh

Same here. I don't get the whole, "It was Wolverine and Friends" complaint. I mean, yeah it was Wolverine's arc wrapping up, but Iceman, Rogue, Pyro, Nightcrawler, Stryker, Jean, and even Storm were all fleshed out. People act like Wolverine was the MAIN guy and everybody else were Mutes.

The only character that really got robbed of some screentime was Cyclops, but I liked when he broke down when Jean died.

I even liked Lady Deathstrike. I didn't care that she didn't talk. She was she was supposed to be. Silent. Deadly. Beautiful. Sucks that we didn't get a Mystique/Lady Deathstrike fight though.

Also, I LOVE that shot of the X-Men in the White House towards the end. That's probably the best, maybe even the only, team shot throughout the movies. If someone get screencap that for me, that'd be great.

X2 is one the best Superhero movies of all time. That movie hits every beat hard. It's got action, drama, emotion, good storytelling, strong character moments, a good villain, high stakes, etc.

Favorite Scenes:

Nightcrawler opening
School Invasion + Wolverine Berserker Rage
Magneto's Escape
Pyro's power display
Storm & Nightcrawler on the X-Jet
Mystique pwning Stryker's soldiers in the Dam.
Wolverine vs Lady Deathstrike
Jean's sacrifice

One of my favorite lines is after Pyro tells Magneto, "So, they say you're the bad guy" and Magneto responds, "Is that what they say?" Love it.

Last edited by Kermit_The_Frog; 06-20-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Kermit_The_Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:48 PM   #5
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

My love for X2 is already well-documented. I don't need to gush over it no longer.

EnDz0n3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:38 AM   #6
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

X2 is one of my 3 favorate comic book films.The other 2 being superman and the Dark Knight.

So yes X2 is not only favorate X-Men film but favorate marvel film.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:46 AM   #7
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit_The_Frog View Post
Same here. I don't get the whole, "It was Wolverine and Friends" complaint. I mean, yeah it was Wolverine's arc wrapping up, but Iceman, Rogue, Pyro, Nightcrawler, Stryker, Jean, and even Storm were all fleshed out. People act like Wolverine was the MAIN guy and everybody else were Mutes.

The only character that really got robbed of some screentime was Cyclops, but I liked when he broke down when Jean died.

I even liked Lady Deathstrike. I didn't care that she didn't talk. She was she was supposed to be. Silent. Deadly. Beautiful. Sucks that we didn't get a Mystique/Lady Deathstrike fight though.

Also, I LOVE that shot of the X-Men in the White House towards the end. That's probably the best, maybe even the only, team shot throughout the movies. If someone get screencap that for me, that'd be great.

X2 is one the best Superhero movies of all time. That movie hits every beat hard. It's got action, drama, emotion, good storytelling, strong character moments, a good villain, high stakes, etc.

Favorite Scenes:

Nightcrawler opening
School Invasion + Wolverine Berserker Rage
Magneto's Escape
Pyro's power display
Storm & Nightcrawler on the X-Jet
Mystique pwning Stryker's soldiers in the Dam.
Wolverine vs Lady Deathstrike
Jean's sacrifice

One of my favorite lines is after Pyro tells Magneto, "So, they say you're the bad guy" and Magneto responds, "Is that what they say?" Love it.
your speaking my song i have argured for years X2 wasn't just wolverine with everyone else in background.That critism works for Last stand not for X2.During climax of film wolverine was busy with his search while others stopped stryker and later magneto's plan and freed the prisoners.

Even in first X-Men wolverine didn't do everything while rest just stood around.

Yes Cyclops got short end of stick but someone had to.But,what he had to do
when on screen was effective.him and jean at museum,mind controlled ofrced to fight jean,and his emontional breakdown all good.

Deathstrike being mostly silent worked in film's favor

Old 06-21-2015, 09:16 PM   #8
Avenging Angel
Gaurdian Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
My love for X2 is already well-documented. I don't need to gush over it no longer.
There's no limit to the gushing.