The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #251
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Default Re: The Official Scarlet Witch Thread

If they escaped from a gypsy carnival, maybe that could explain why they are dressed in that way.

As to why they would dress that way afterwards, well it should've been something written into the MCU that all these characters decide to wear a colourful costume just because that is the world it is. It wouldn't then be a question of "why would they wear something like this in real life?" because that would be "real life" in that universe and something people do. At least that way everyone wouldn't be wearing almost the same generic jumpsuits/catsuits.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #252
the_ultimate_evil
CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

headpiece wise, would anyone be against something in a similar shape just going across her forehead but without the points ala the jim lee jean grey or the 90's wanda. just something to frame the face

And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
To view my site tumblr dev art twitter
Old 07-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #253
Iowa
Newbie First Class

I like the pointy head piece thingy , looks like devil horns

it's a good look for a witch.................lol

Old 07-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #254
VulcanVader
Side-Kick

Regarding why the siblings wear as they wear: I guess we could figure it out when we know the origin of their powers in the movie. If they are not mutants... what are they? aliens? where do they come from? that will explain many things.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #255
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

They might not be mutants but they could be mutates. Isn't that what all people who were either born or spent time on Wundagore mountain are like under the High Evolutionary? So they're not mutants (ie born with their powers) but they could have been evolved (ie mutated) using the HE's devices.

Yes, it sounds similar ("mutant" and "mutate") and someone could try to argue it's all semantics, but aren't all non-mutant heroes who gain powers some kind of mutate? Spider-Man qualifies as one, as do the Fantastic Four, Hulk, Captain America etc.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #256
Iowa
Newbie First Class

So their not even allowed to use the word "mutants" ?

I can understand not mentioning Magneto or any of the X-Men

But how can they not be allowed to use "mutants" , that's a pretty common word used in hunderds of films

Old 07-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #257
divan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa View Post

But how can they not be allowed to use "mutants" , that's a pretty common word used in hunderds of films
I don't get it either. I understand they can' mention thins like the X-Gene, which is exclusive of the MU Mutants, but the word 'mutant' (and its concept and implications) predate the Marvel Universe by several years, it's even a biological concept.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #258
TheFBI
Side-Kick

They should just be Inhumans, then they can wear whatever they want, and it opens up an Inhumans movie

Old 07-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #259
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa View Post

But "mutant" means a very specific thing in the context of a Marvel film. It's a stepping on toes kinda thing

Old 07-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #260
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

It's to do with Trademark law as applied within a specific context. So yes, the word "mutant" has existed before and does exist outside of Marvel and comics. But the word "mutant" within the context of comics and as applied to Marvel characters has a very specific meaning.

So Marvel, if they have managed to trademark that word, are trademarking it as it applies to comic characters born with special abilities. They aren't, for example, trademarking the use of the word outside of a comic context where it might be used in real world science or biology.

It's like the word "Amazon" or "Virgin". Those names are trademarked within specific business contexts to refer to an online bookstore or Richard Branson's company. However, that doesn't exclude the use of "Amazon" within other contexts eg calling Wonder Woman an Amazon or even using the name "Amazon" as a character name.

If someone within a business context wanted to use the word "Amazon" though, they wouldn't be able to. But someone wanting to call a character "Amazon" could.

That's why some of the Marvel characters are referred to as "Marvel's so-and-so" - eg "Marvel's Hawkeye" where you see a TM after the name, while others you just see the name "Captain America" or "Spider-Man". Hawkeye is a more generic name and has been used in other contexts, so they have to trademark it as "Marvel's Hawkeye".

Another example is Iron Man. With the space between the two words, that name is trademarked by Marvel as their character. But spell it as Ironman, and that trademark is quite possibly owned by Ironman Triathlon.

So with regard to "mutants", yes it's a generic term, but Marvel have probably trademarked it, and those IP rights were assigned to Fox when they gained ownership of the property. That means that no-one else within a comic context (be it comics or comic book movies) can use the term "mutant" (and probably not "mutate either" even though it refers to something different, because they've probably covered their bases with all variations). However, in a non-comic book movie, the word "mutant" might very well be able to be used, because it's used in a scientific context.

I remember when Marvel and DC jointly tried to trademark the word "Superhero" so that no-one else could use it. I don't remember if they were successful or not, but I get the feeling that they weren't.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #261
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

If they can't use 'mutate', how about 'evolve'? That would basically be the same idea.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #262
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Well when I say "mutate" in my above post, I'm meaning that it probably can't be used as a noun. They might be able to say that someone has mutated or that something has caused a person to mutate (using it as a verb).

Old 07-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #263
ares834
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
I think this costume from the 90s was pretty decent:

That's a great look.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:43 AM   #264
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
I think this costume from the 90s was pretty decent:

I could live with this. Just give her a red tiara.

Actually, that wouldn't work in a movie...

Old 07-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #265
StreetWarrior
Respectfully disagreeing.

Someone already touched on this but the Scarlet Witch is going to be really tricky to adapt correctly. As much as I welcome new characters, the Scarlet Witch is basically a walking plot device. A deus ex regularly abused for the convenience of the story. I can't remember the number of times an otherwise great Avengers story concluded with the (otherwise unbeatable) threat being conveniently defeated by SW's "magic".

The character (in both movies and comics) needs some limits and established power levels.

Still, crazy excited to see new Avengers on the big screen.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #266
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I think Whedon will handle Wanda's magic much in the same way he did with Willow in Buffy. She wasn't a perpetual deus ex machina and she had limitations too.

As for Quicksilver, I'm hoping he has a personality similar to Spike.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #267
StreetWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post

The actor who played Spike would actually be perfect if he was a little younger.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #268
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetWarrior View Post
The actor who played Spike would actually be perfect if he was a little younger.
Well about 25 years younger. He's 50 isn't he?

Old 07-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #269
VulcanVader
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFBI View Post
They should just be Inhumans, then they can wear whatever they want, and it opens up an Inhumans movie
That would solve many things... if they are from "outer space" (like Thor, etc) they can wear whatever strange (and cool) outfits.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #270
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFBI View Post
Thy wont introduce Inhumans 2-3 years before their movie comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divan View Post
I don't get it either. I understand they can' mention thins like the X-Gene, which is exclusive of the MU Mutants, but the word 'mutant' (and its concept and implications) predate the Marvel Universe by several years, it's even a biological concept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
But "mutant" means a very specific thing in the context of a Marvel film. It's a stepping on toes kinda thing
They Lready have an explanation for "mutations" taking place in normal humans in the MCU: Extremis.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #271
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
If they can't use 'mutate', how about 'evolve'? That would basically be the same idea.
"Natural changes in genes"?

Old 07-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #272
StreetWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
"Natural changes in genes"?
I think they should stick it to Fox by just not discussing it and letting people fill in the mutant blanks themselves. That way, Marvel doesn't have to change their origins and we can have unofficial mutants.

Cap: "Where did they get their powers?"
Fury: "That's classified. Let's just say they were born different..."

Or something about their dad being superpowered and genetics. Obviously they can't namecheck Magento or use the word "mutants" but there are some ways to legally work around the system and wink at the comic fans while doing it.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #273
T"Challa
Side-Kick

I'm thinking Marvel just uses the Terrigen mist as a substitute for mutation. Works just as well and sets the stage for an inhumans movie if they decide to do one.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #274
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I'd rather he had a personality similar to Quicksilver.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #275
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
I'd rather he had a personality similar to Quicksilver.

Oh, what's that, America? You love Chris Pratt? Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see the overnight ratings for this upcoming season of Parks and Recreation for me to determine how full of **** you are about that.

Closed Thread