The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #551
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Scarlet Witch Thread

Sounds like Elizabeth Olsen is perfect. I just hope Wanda keeps her probability manipulation powers and doesn't end up with something lame like telekinesis. That's Jean Grey's deal.

Also keep that Ultimates incest crap out of here. If that shows up in Avengers I'm out.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #552
Loki882
Side-Kick

I'm fairly certain that Disney isn't going to have ANY hint of incest in the movie. They may let Marvel do what it wants for the most part, but that would be a bridge too far. Also, they might give her the more general "magical" abilities that she has now.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #553
AvengerPA
Side-Kick

I'm now hearing that Saoirse Ronan passed on this role in order to try out for Star Wars 7. I don't see her as Wanda, but I think she would do well as Jaina Solo.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #554
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
I'm fairly certain that Disney isn't going to have ANY hint of incest in the movie. They may let Marvel do what it wants for the most part, but that would be a bridge too far. Also, they might give her the more general "magical" abilities that she has now.
I certainly hope so. That's just one of many reasons I hate the Ultimates. It's fine if they want to borrow some of the more modern visual elements but beyond that forget it.

Re: Wanda's "magical" abilities, I suppose we'll have to wait and see but probability manipulation is just such an interesting concept. I like the idea of randomness of the hexes and her powers behaving in unexpected ways. I think it would be cool to see her gaining mastery of her abilities and not be so powerful from the get go. In House of M she was basically omnipotent.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #555
metaphysician
Side-Kick

That's part of the problem, though. Her powers need to be defined enough that they aren't just an arbitrary deus ex machina.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #556
Chewy
REDACTED

Whedon said he sat down and strictly defined what her movie powers were gonna be

Old 09-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #557
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
That's part of the problem, though. Her powers need to be defined enough that they aren't just an arbitrary deus ex machina.
Yeah I agree with that. I just hope it's something fresh and not the usual spell casting or telekinesis yada yada.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #558
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Whedon said he sat down and strictly defined what her movie powers were gonna be
Did he indicate what they are? Or is that under wraps?

My concern is I saw a casting call sheet earlier that said her abilities would be "telekinesis" and "spells" which I thought was lame.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #559
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Then you should stop reading casting call sheets. problem solved.

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Old 09-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #560
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
Then you should stop reading casting call sheets. problem solved.
Awww but where's the fun in that?

Old 09-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #561
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post
Did he indicate what they are? Or is that under wraps?

My concern is I saw a casting call sheet earlier that said her abilities would be "telekinesis" and "spells" which I thought was lame.
No, just that he was very specific about it

But he did mention her weaving spells and having telekinesis when he went on Fallon. That might have been him dumbing it down a bit so he could quickly explain it, though

Old 09-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #562
gurkle2
Newbie First Class

Yeah, that casting sheet was just based on his description on Fallon; there's no official word other than that, plus Whedon's one cryptic statement that he has "set rules" for Wanda's power.

Mark Millar in The Ultimates, which Whedon is probably looking to for some inspiration (not the incest stuff, the stuff about how to portray them as young, aloof twins who don't get along with the Avengers at first) hinted that she might actually have to figure the probability of something in her mind before she figured out how much energy to use. I'm not sure if that would work in a movie though. Her original power was essentially that she didn't know what her hexes would do - so she would angst about whether she "dare" risk a hex at a particular moment - but it would usually work in her favor by bringing disaster on whoever she was aiming at. Eventually Steve Englehart had her study some magic to learn how to channel her hex powers into specific effects, but her role in the books was still to be the random, unpredictable one.

House of M is a complete outlier in her character history, loading her up with powers she never had before, because the plot required her to be both insane and omnipotent for no clear reason. This was later explained away as the result of her being hopped up on some kind of outside magical source, to explain why she couldn't just fix everything she did in that story, but because she was out of the comics for many years after House of M, it's kind of defined her for a lot of people who didn't read Avengers before the 2004 reboot.

Anyway, Whedon started reading the comics in the '70s when she was in almost every Avengers issue and her powers were kept within reasonable limits (most famously, she could hurt Ultron because he could not cope with her powers' random unpredictable nature). So I presume he's not going to go crazy with them. Another question is whether they'll tease the nature of her powers - the comics have always gone back and forth about whether they're science-based or magic-based, and hanging a question mark over that might be a way for them to set up the introduction of full-blown magic in a Dr. Strange movie.

Last edited by gurkle2; 09-19-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:57 AM   #563
AvengerPA
Side-Kick

Wanda's powers are both mutant-based and mystical. In addition to her genetic mutation, she was blessed by Chthon at birth, giving her the power to wield spells. She casts hexes and spells. Her "hex power" is an attempt by a youth not really understanding herself to explain what she is doing. Her "hexes" are a form of telekinesis different from that of Jean Grey's. Wanda's telekinesis affects quantum units of energy which change probabilities favorable to her. Her spells come from the study of sorcery, and she is still a learner in that regard. Her ability to levitate appears to be a magic spell and was only acquired in the course of Volume 3 of Avengers. Wanda is also a Nexus Being, existing in all realities, and the ramification of that have never been fully explained.

Last edited by AvengerPA; 09-20-2013 at 01:03 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:23 AM   #564
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvengerPA View Post
Wanda's powers are both mutant-based and mystical. In addition to her genetic mutation, she was blessed by Chthon at birth, giving her the power to wield spells. She casts hexes and spells. Her "hex power" is an attempt by a youth not really understanding herself to explain what she is doing. Her "hexes" are a form of telekinesis different from that of Jean Grey's. Wanda's telekinesis affects quantum units of energy which change probabilities favorable to her. Her spells come from the study of sorcery, and she is still a learner in that regard. Her ability to levitate appears to be a magic spell and was only acquired in the course of Volume 3 of Avengers. Wanda is also a Nexus Being, existing in all realities, and the ramification of that have never been fully explained.
Wanda's powers were originally described an energy field that alters probability at her direction, not telekinesis. If the telekinesis bit is a retcon, it's another stupid and unnecessary one.

Also, Wanda was not "blessed" by Chthon. That was a curse, in that the demon's aim was to attach its power to Wanda, with a view to possessing her at adulthood.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #565
Loki882
Side-Kick

The probability stuff was always rather confusing, even to a Wanda fan like myself. I think that Whedon will probably modify her powers somewhat. They'll be more "magical" but to what degree remains to be seen.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #566
AvengerPA
Side-Kick

Since they are planning a Doctor Strange Film, they could make Wanda his apprentice.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #567
Wine-N-Cheese
Side-Kick

It's not that confusing. It's just changing the likelihood of an event occurring. Or if you want to simplify it to her early appearances, she dishes out "bad luck".

Old 09-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #568
Loki882
Side-Kick

Whedon's admittedly brief description doesn't sound like "bad luck" powers to me.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #569
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
The probability stuff was always rather confusing, even to a Wanda fan like myself. I think that Whedon will probably modify her powers somewhat. They'll be more "magical" but to what degree remains to be seen.
It doesn't seem like a difficult concept to me. Say a person is standing on a section of roadway that has a 13% probability of collapsing at any given moment. Wanda unleashing her "hex" powers at the area in which the person and road are located increases the probability of collapse to 100%. Thus, the roadway crumbles and sends the person standing on it tumbling into an underground pit. The same principle can be applied to any possible scenario.

Wanda's power is very brilliant as Stan Lee first defined it. It is supremely useful, not as magic but as a manipulation of physical laws.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #570
Wine-N-Cheese
Side-Kick

Yeah, I quite liked the original hexes. There was really no need to complicate it with some pseudoscientific explanation imo.

Quote:
Whedon's admittedly brief description doesn't sound like "bad luck" powers to me.
Yes, well, I hope he was just nervous or something when he mentioned "telekinesis" and "get inside your head". It would be lame if her powers were watered down to vague magical stuff for convenience.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #571
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

I never expected her powers to be hex related, I just assumed it would be "magical", like TK or spells. Which I prefer. I always felt Wanda was a walking plot device.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #572
Silvermoth
Avenger

If marvel are still looking for a younger wanda why not give felicity jones a call?

She's a very talented young actress, a star on the rise and she has the same sort of look as Taylor jones if they're still trying to get him too

Old 09-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #573
Just_Human
Side-Kick

She would be a great plan B

But Olsen is my number 1 choice .... Im intrigued

Old 09-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #574
marcvader
Lurker #1

Who's Taylor Jones?

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 09-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #575
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I don't understand how they'll explain where how powers derive from.