The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

View Poll Results: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...
Love it! 92 36.51%
It's okay... 56 22.22%
Hate it! 104 41.27%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #76
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it?

I can't vote because the options in this poll IMO are flawed.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #77
TheCardPlayer
Side-Kick

Until the movie has been out in the US longer than a couple of hours....PUT SPOILERS IN SPOILER TAGS!!!!! - signed C. Lee

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
IMO, some people are trying to convince themselves and others that Killian wasn't The Mandarin because they desparately wanted something close to the original comic book version. And they had it in Kingsley but it got subverted completely.

Sorry but yes, in the cinematic MCU, Aldritch Killian IS The Mandarin. The tattoos, the slicing of the armor in half, tearing it apart...Even the motivation rooted in pure will to surpass any inherent flaw.

Basically, he is the comic book Mandarin in every way. Extremis replaces the rings. But he was the scientific genius with the intellect, and manipulative skills to be the head of a powerful organization that I thought I'd get in Kingsley. And he's the one villain to brutally and completely overwhelm Stark in the end.

Basically this is perma-white all over again. This is latin Bane all over again. People simply can't accept changes to characters and try their best to fit their square peg into the hole. And he's not even changed that much. Except for the robes and rings, THIS IS The Mandarin. Either you're a fan of a character because of their story and deeper roots or you just like their visual identity. And in that case IMO, you weren't a fan to begin with.

Last edited by C. Lee; 05-03-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #78
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Loved it. Perfect incarnation of a 21st Century Mandarin as he would be. Most formidable opponent IM has faced by far. I would have preferred more of a backstory and expansion on the character, a lot more than what was provided. Could have used more character development.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #79
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCardPlayer View Post
IMO, some people are trying to convince themselves and others that Killian wasn't The Mandarin because they desparately wanted something close to the original comic book version. And they had it in Kingsley but it got subverted completely.

Sorry but yes, in the cinematic MCU, Aldritch Killian IS The Mandarin. The tattoos, the slicing of the armor in half, tearing it apart...Even the motivation rooted in pure will to surpass any inherent flaw.

Basically, he is the comic book Mandarin in every way. Extremis replaces the rings. But he was the scientific genius with the intellect, and manipulative skills to be the head of a powerful organization that I thought I'd get in Kingsley. And he's the one villain to brutally and completely overwhelm Stark in the end.

Basically this is perma-white all over again. This is latin Bane all over again. People simply can't accept changes to characters and try their best to fit their square peg into the hole. And he's not even changed that much. Except for the robes and rings, THIS IS The Mandarin. Either you're a fan of a character because of their story and deeper roots or you just like their visual identity. And in that case IMO, you weren't a fan to begin with.

Could it not simply be a case of people not liking it because they feel cheated that what was being promised in the trailers and promotional material turned out to be false? Food for thought.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #80
jmc
callin' it like I see it

This is why this poll is flawed. Who is and who isn't the Mandarin isn't important, it's about which character people preferred.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #81
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

I loved IM3.....

Old 05-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #82
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpoiler15 View Post
link has been removed...it had a gazillion uncensored curse words in it...that is not allowed on the Hype.
I love Jeremy's reviews, and he made the perfect analogy in this video.

If you're made to believe that Santa Claus is real as a kid, and then one day you find out it's just an act and your father says "You wanted Santa Claus? I AM SANTA CLAUS!", that might disappoint you very much. Sure the whole thing was his idea and he takes credit for it (not the character himself, but the whole staged thing), so in a certain way, yes, he was Santa Claus, but you can't pretend that you got what you were let to believe you'll get. Even if he looks exactly like Santa Claus and has a white beard, a belly, and a red nose, he's not Santa Claus.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar

Last edited by C. Lee; 05-03-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #83
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I know the that Ben's Mandarin is just a front for Killan and he is just an actor. But consider this Bane in Rises was nothing more than a glorified henchmen for Talia. Sure Bane could go toe to toe with Bats in a fight but he was still pretty weak once you knew the end game.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #84
TheCardPlayer
Side-Kick

I don't see why spoilers rules would apply in a topic called The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it?

Anyone who clicks here obviously has seen the movie or wants to be spoiled in the first place. It's common sense that there would be spoilers here. Oh well, my bad. Won't happen again.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #85
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCardPlayer View Post
Until the movie has been out in the US longer than a couple of hours....PUT SPOILERS IN SPOILER TAGS!!!!! - signed C. Lee

Please read my post where I explain the reason why I (and I see others) were disappointed about this thing:

Old 05-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #86
C. Lee
SHH! Administrator

People...DO NOT post links to videos with a uncensored cursing in them....especially if they contain tons of it.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #87
C. Lee
SHH! Administrator

It's a personal thing...it bothered you and others....it didn't bother me and others. There are things in the other movies that absolutely pisses me off, but others could care less. That's life.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #88
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
It's a personal thing...it bothered you and others....it didn't bother me and others. There are things in the other movies that absolutely pisses me off, but others could care less. That's life.
I'm well aware, and I'm not suggesting otherwise. But since some people keep saying "Oh you didn't like it because you wanted it to be like the comics", when clearly other people didn't say or even suggest that, I felt the need to explain it. Yesterday, in the span of just 15 minutes I had 3 people apologize for misquoting or misunderstanding me and after they carefully read what I posted, they said they disagree with me because they liked it, but understand me and I get my point. And that's what I was aiming for.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #89
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Intense hatred. I was hoping for another twist by the end of the movie where he truly was a legit threat.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #90
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerspider View Post
Killian created the 10 Rings organization.
Killian was manipulating the world powers for his benefit
Killian created the name and persona 'The Mandarin' and was the brain behind him just like Tony Stark created the name and persona of 'Iron Man' and was the brain behind him. Killian controlled 'Mandarin' just like Tony controlled his Iron Man suit during the plane sequence. If Killian isn't The Mandarin, then most of this film, Tony wasn't Iron Man. AND thats the EXACT point of his final line: 'I am The Mandarin'. Its a direct parallel to the ending of Iron Man 1' I am Iron Man'. Killian wanted to seperate himself from the 'face of evil' he created, but he accepted that that was who he was all along. And like I said earlier, Pearce was very much like the Mandarin from the comics.
This x 100
They did a great job in adapting the Madarins persona and using the twist as a statement about general prejudice and xenophobia. Some people just WANT the middle eastern / asian guy to be the bad guy. that is the only way they can accept evil nowadays. Killian knew that and used it to his adavantage by creating a straw man and symbol that he had total control over and that would frighten the people more than a business guy with a suit.
It is very similar to what happens whenever something explodes and everyone and every news channel automatically shouts 'Al Qaida!'. This is the evil we can accept, the one we are used to, thanks to the media. Of course the explosion than happens to be a gas leak, homegrown terrorism or something completely different, but we just like to build or own image of evil to explain such things.
brillantly written by Black, amazingly acted by both, Kingsley and Pearce.
I just wish the Nolan brothers were half as good when they completely missed the point about the occupy movement

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 05-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #91
DarthDorranceBane
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoxer View Post
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I know the that Ben's Mandarin is just a front for Killan and he is just an actor. But consider this Bane in Rises was nothing more than a glorified henchmen for Talia. Sure Bane could go toe to toe with Bats in a fight but he was still pretty weak once you knew the end game.
No, Bane is not a glorified henchman. By that logic Darth Vader is a glorified henchman. I like IM3, and I think some fans are furious because they weren't given a good classic villain.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #92
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Um, Nolan's script was done before the occupy movement.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #93
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post

Could it not simply be a case of people not liking it because they feel cheated that what was being promised in the trailers and promotional material turned out to be false? Food for thought.
I bought a bottle of Mr. Clean yesterday, opend it and guess what? NO bald bodybuilder appeared. Clearly the advertising for this product was misleading. Do I get mad about it? Do I yell at Procter&Gamble and call them liars, boycott their products and behave like a fool? Or do I accept the fact that ads and trailers are here to sell a product.... hmmm...I go for the last option myself.

ZWERG/ELF

Last edited by Mister J; 05-04-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #94
Rocanrol
Psiconautiq

^Horrible example. I liked the Santa Claus comparison though.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #95
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
I bought a bottle of Mr. Clean yesterday, opend it and guess what? NO bald bodybuilder appeared. Clearly the advertising for this product was misleading. Do I get mad about it? Do I yell at Procter&Gamble and call them liars, boycott their products and behave like a fool? Or do I accept the fact that ads and trailers are here to sell a product.... hmmm...I go for the last option myself.
I'm sorry, but I just disagree with this mentality entirely, and the way you're giving it as an example like it proves someone wrong is silly. If a customer is mislead by the advertising of a product and gets something different than what he was promised, he has every right to be disappointed. There's nothing to accept. If you think everyone who didn't like the film are calling Marvel liars, or boycott their products, or behave like a food, then you're deeply mistaken.

There might be some people who act like fools true, but most of the people just express their opinion on whether it worked or it didn't work for them. There maybe are some people who go to extremes as demanding their money back or something like that, but then there are others who insult people who dislike the film and defend it before they have ever seen it for themselves. Both extremes are equally bad, but the assumption that everyone who has the same complain about something are being fools is ignorant.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #96
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
That is by far one of the most idiotic comparisons I think I've ever read in my entire life.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #97
TyrionLannister
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerspider View Post
Killian created the 10 Rings organization.
Killian was manipulating the world powers for his benefit
Killian created the name and persona 'The Mandarin' and was the brain behind him just like Tony Stark created the name and persona of 'Iron Man' and was the brain behind him. Killian controlled 'Mandarin' just like Tony controlled his Iron Man suit during the plane sequence. If Killian isn't The Mandarin, then most of this film, Tony wasn't Iron Man. AND thats the EXACT point of his final line: 'I am The Mandarin'. Its a direct parallel to the ending of Iron Man 1' I am Iron Man'. Killian wanted to seperate himself from the 'face of evil' he created, but he accepted that that was who he was all along. And like I said earlier, Pearce was very much like the Mandarin from the comics.
Brilliant post. Agree 100%

Old 05-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #98
Mr.M
Side-Kick

I was actually suprised at how accurate the Mandarin characterization was. It's already been mentioned by people in the thread, or other threads. Pretty much exactly what I would expect from a villain of that ilk. Was I disspointed he wasn't Asian and didn't have magic and robes? Kinda, but it's a stereotyped villain. They brilliantly avoided trapping themselves into that corner. Absolutely forgivable. Again, I am just suprised that we actually got a Mandarin as close to the source material as it was. Huge plus. The execution just could have been better.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #99
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
That is by far one of the most idiotic comparisons I think I've ever read in my entire life.
Of course it is. But people are complaining about trailers that DON'T GIVE AWAY THE PLOT TWIST OF THE MOVIE. some of those are the same people that were complaining that TRAILERS ALWAYS GIVE EVERYTHING AWAY. One has to adapt to that level of idiocy if one wants to communicate with them.

ZWERG/ELF

Old 05-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #100
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Of course it is. But people are complaining about trailers that DON'T GIVE AWAY THE PLOT TWIST OF THE MOVIE. some of those are the same people that were complaining that TRAILERS ALWAYS GIVE EVERYTHING AWAY. One has to adapt to that level of idiocy if one wants to communicate with them.
How unbelievably ignorant (or should I add arrogant) of you to say.

Even people who gave this movie a 10/10 and called it perfect acknowledged how misleading the trailers and promotion were, and now you want to say that people are idiots for falling for the marketing and liking something that was promised, but getting something entirely different and thus being disappointed because of it?

Closed Thread