The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > SHH Community Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #76
NickNitro
Extra Terrestrial
 
NickNitro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Second Star to the Right
Posts: 8,222
Default Re: Why are people so skeptical of UFO's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
Are UFOs ever seen in any country outside of the US?
One of the most famous UFO and extra terrestrial sightings ever

Rendlesham Forest - Suffolk, England

http://www.therendleshamforestincident.com/

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper Maru View Post
What really happened at Roswell?
Roswell cover up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roswell_UFO_incident

__________________
Sir Bedevere: What makes you think she's a witch?
Peasant 3: Well, she turned me into a newt!
Sir Bedevere: A newt?
Peasant 3: ..... I got better.
NickNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #77
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite
 
Ultimatehero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,473
Default Re: Why are people so skeptical of UFO's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper Maru View Post
Can't they just flaunt their phased plasma rifles?

"If you humans don't behave we'll vaporize you?"
We don't know what their motives are. It could be...



rather than...



And if they have visited in the past, the first is far more likely.

__________________
"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #78
NickNitro
Extra Terrestrial
 
NickNitro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Second Star to the Right
Posts: 8,222
Default Re: Why are people so skeptical of UFO's?

Its so hard for people to make arguments against extra terrestrial life. More so than people who believe in it solely on the fact of sheer numbers. The number of stars/galaxies/solar systems/etc.

Its also hard for people to argue that aliens couldn't find Earth. We perceive technology only around what we as a species have figured out. A species like us but have been around for thousands....millions...billions of years could of cracked physiological/biological/inter stellar science and math that we just could never possibly understand.

I kind of can't help but giggle at the people who say "well the universe is just TOO BIG! How could they possibly find us in all of these stars". These people need to suspend some disbelief for a moment and realize that there may be technologies out there where they have galactic maps that can detect life forms on an interstellar level.

I hate to use this as an example but since we are all truly just Comic Nerds here it could very well be like Professor X's Cerebro. An entity to tap in on a galactic scale and detect life forms on distant planets in far off galaxies.

Just something to think about

__________________
Sir Bedevere: What makes you think she's a witch?
Peasant 3: Well, she turned me into a newt!
Sir Bedevere: A newt?
Peasant 3: ..... I got better.
NickNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #79
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite
 
Ultimatehero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,473
Default Re: Why are people so skeptical of UFO's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickNitro View Post
I hate to use this as an example but since we are all truly just Comic Nerds here it could very well be like Professor X's Cerebro. An entity to tap in on a galactic scale and detect life forms on distant planets in far off galaxies.


That is seriously the coolest invention I've heard of in a while.

__________________
"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #80
Doctor Evo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 2,230
Default Re: Why are people so skeptical of UFO's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Spider View Post
But that won't persuade me about anything.
If it doesn't persuade you that small mutations can lead to enormous phenotypic effects, then you don't understand it in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Spider View Post
Ok now that we clarified this, what's your point? Should I be ashamed for that? Or get arrested because It's not "working" in any real sense of the word?
No. I'm just pointing out that it's ridiculous. That's all.

Doctor Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #81
Alex_Spider
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Greece, Athens
Posts: 2,527
Default Re: Why are people so skeptical of UFO's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Evo View Post
If it doesn't persuade you that small mutations can lead to enormous phenotypic effects, then you don't understand it in the first place.

No. I'm just pointing out that it's ridiculous. That's all.
Uh, it's not that I don't accept that small mutations can lead to enormous phenotypic effects nor I dismiss it. It's just that this theory doesn't necessarily mean is related to the 6" body that was found. Maybe it is something else.
"Ridiculous..." Yeah right.

Alex_Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #82
Doctor Evo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 2,230
Default Re: Why are people so skeptical of UFO's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Spider View Post
Uh, it's not that I don't accept that small mutations can lead to enormous phenotypic effects nor I dismiss it. It's just that this theory doesn't necessarily mean is related to the 6" body that was found. Maybe it is something else.
You said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Spider
But still I just don't buy the mutation thing. I mean come on look at it's head, the eyes and lips. And what kind of mutation would produce such a human?
This is what I'm addressing: your incredulity that potentially small mutations could lead to enormously exaggerated/altered phenotypes.

Also, "I just don't buy the mutation thing," sure sounds like a dismissal to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Spider
"Ridiculous..." Yeah right.
An excellent rebuttal.

Doctor Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #83
Alex_Spider
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Greece, Athens
Posts: 2,527
Default Re: Why are people so skeptical of UFO's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Evo View Post
You said:

This is what I'm addressing: your incredulity that potentially small mutations could lead to enormously exaggerated/altered phenotypes.

Also, "I just don't buy the mutation thing," sure sounds like a dismissal to me.

An excellent rebuttal.
Um, yeah I told that because I wasn't aware of the wiki link you provided me. But still I won't accept that those to cases are related 100%. Maybe it is, maybe not.
An excellent rebuttal indeed. Just like the "ridiculous" one you called my postings a while ago.


Last edited by Alex_Spider; 05-04-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Alex_Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #84
Doctor Evo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 2,230
Default Re: Why are people so skeptical of UFO's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Spider View Post
Um, yeah I told that because I wasn't aware of the wiki link you provided me. But still I won't accept that those to cases are related 100%. Maybe it is, maybe not.
What wiki link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Spider
An excellent rebuttal indeed. Just like the "ridiculous" one you called my postings a while ago.
That wasn't a rebuttal.

Doctor Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #85
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 15,145
Default Re: Why are people so skeptical of UFO's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
Are UFOs ever seen in any country outside of the US?
Of course. Hell, arguably some of the "best" cases have occurred outside the United States, because the governments of those countries are a lot more open about them.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #86
Alex_Spider
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Greece, Athens
Posts: 2,527
Default Re: Why are people so skeptical of UFO's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Evo View Post
What wiki link?
The link about the field of developmental biology.

Alex_Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #87
Doctor Evo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 2,230
Default Re: Why are people so skeptical of UFO's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Spider View Post
The link about the field of developmental biology.
I never gave you a link.

Doctor Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #88
Alex_Spider
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Greece, Athens
Posts: 2,527
Default Re: Why are people so skeptical of UFO's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Evo View Post
I never gave you a link.
Sorry my English is not so good in writing. You mentioned a while before if I am familiar with the field of development biology. I think it is one page back.

Alex_Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #89
Megalith
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 213
Default Re: Why are people so skeptical of UFO's?

I want to believe.

Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #90
DareDemon
Hi! I like shorts!
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: SexyPants Land
Posts: 2,240
Default Re: Why are people so skeptical of UFO's?

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...ive-plausible/

Personally, I don't think it's possible for there NOT to be intelligent alien life in the universe besides humans. I am religious, so I think God not allowing any other creatures would be the only way there aren't others.

I see it as arrogant to assume we're the only ones. The universe is just too damn big. People say that a lot, but that's just because it can't be said enough. It is BIG.

Carbon and silicon are the two easiest elements to create life out of, so I expect we'll eventually find both.

Another point: while I believe it possible that aliens have been spotted in the past century, I have difficulty imagining how we'd be able to see them, unless they didnt care. If you are warp-capable, you should be able to hide from radar and naked eye if you wish.

I also think that if aliens came to our planet, they'd be scientists or diplomats. I can't think of a real tangible reason for an invasion. Anything you could possibly want is in the asteroid belt or uninhibited planets, a lot of the time a single asteroid holds more precious metals than Earth. If they needed more living space, they'd still have to work hard to terraform our planet (so why wouldn't they just do it to an uninhibited one?) even if they DID just happen to breathe the exact same amount of oxygen we do.

My dream is to have an non-human, but still intelligent, friend. Whether it's an uplifted dog or an alien (ideally, both).

__________________
They're comfy and easy to wear!
DareDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #91
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 15,145
Default Re: Why are people so skeptical of UFO's?

What I have found rather curious is how few reports there have been of hostile action by UFO's. You would think if so many people were just making this stuff up, that there would be stories of people coming under attack. Yet, that's almost unheard of.

Even in the cases where human fighters have engaged UFO's, they just take evasive action, before leaving the combat zone.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #92
DareDemon
Hi! I like shorts!
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: SexyPants Land
Posts: 2,240
Default Re: Why are people so skeptical of UFO's?

I think they would have a "Prime Directive" of some sort. It'd be like the Wright brothers' first plane vs. a modern day fighter jet. No contest. Laughable, even. The aliens needn't worry or fight back at all.

__________________
They're comfy and easy to wear!
DareDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #93
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.
 
The Question's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hub City
Posts: 39,934
Default Re: Why are people so skeptical of UFO's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Most people probably didn't hear about it, but they recently had (maybe they're still having it?) a sort of "hearing" on UFO's (the supposedly extraterrestrial kind). The group who sponsored it, even paid former congressmen and senators 20,000 bucks a piece to show up. Waste of good money if you ask me. But presumably they were thinking that it would make the news cover them. I guess it sort of worked.

So, an acquaintance brought it up, and I asked him what he thought. And he laughed. Though I'm certain that he believes somethings I would deem crazy.

But why is the subject treated so dismissively? There's certainly no lack of credible witnesses. Thousands of police officers, military personnel, pilots, public servants, etc. There's even radar data.

Given what people do believe (without any evidence), it just seems odd that they're so dismissive.
No one dismisses the notion that UFOs exist. There is hard, documented evidence that UFOs exist. But since Unidentified Flying Objects are, by definition, unidentified, what people dismiss is the notion that they are extra-terrestrial spacecraft. And it's not so much that they dismiss it as it is there's no evidence for it, so there's no reason to jump to that conclusion.

__________________
This is what I have to say to everyone who has a problem with Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #94
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!
 
RockSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,572
Default Re: Why are people so skeptical of UFO's?

"Alien can blend right on in with your kin/
look again cuz I swear I spot one every now and then" --Outkast

^^all the evidence I need

__________________
It's not Marvel and DC's place to create our stories. We create our stories. --Dwayne McDuffie

http://myth-smith.com/
RockSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #95
Doctor Evo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 2,230
Default Re: Why are people so skeptical of UFO's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareDemon View Post
Carbon and silicon are the two easiest elements to create life out of, so I expect we'll eventually find both.
There are some problems with the idea of Silicon-based lifeforms. It's not impossible, but they would probably form under a much, much narrower set of conditions than would Carbon-based lifeforms.

Doctor Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #96
DareDemon
Hi! I like shorts!
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: SexyPants Land
Posts: 2,240
Default Re: Why are people so skeptical of UFO's?

Oh yeah, I should have specified. Carbon is easier (more places for atoms to fit together or something) but there are still cycles (breathing or exhaling methane) that allow silicon.

__________________
They're comfy and easy to wear!
DareDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #97
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 15,145
Default Re: Why are people so skeptical of UFO's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
No one dismisses the notion that UFOs exist. There is hard, documented evidence that UFOs exist. But since Unidentified Flying Objects are, by definition, unidentified, what people dismiss is the notion that they are extra-terrestrial spacecraft. And it's not so much that they dismiss it as it is there's no evidence for it, so there's no reason to jump to that conclusion.
It's the summer of 1947, multiple trained observers at state-of-the-art military facilities around the country observe disc-shaped craft moving in ways that no jet in existence can (the sound barrier will not be broken for another few months). It's not Soviet. It's not American. What is it?

There's a reason they "jumped" to that conclusion.

If you want to put your fingers in your ears and ignore the evidence, that's your prerogative. But don't say there is no evidence for it.


Last edited by Thundercrack85; 05-04-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #98
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.
 
The Question's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hub City
Posts: 39,934
Default Re: Why are people so skeptical of UFO's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
It's the summer of 1947, multiple trained observers at state-of-the-art military facilities around the country observe disc-shaped craft moving in ways that no jet in existence can (the sound barrier will not be broken for another few months). It's not Soviet. It's not American. What is it?
No idea.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
There's a reason they "jumped" to that conclusion.

If you want to put your fingers in your ears and ignore the evidence, that's your prerogative. But don't say there is no evidence for it.
But there is no evidence. All the evidence there is suggests that there was a thing flying through the sky very fast and know one knows what it is or where it came from. That's it. That doesn't mean aliens.

__________________
This is what I have to say to everyone who has a problem with Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #99
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 15,145
Default Re: Why are people so skeptical of UFO's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
No idea.




But there is no evidence. All the evidence there is suggests that there was a thing flying through the sky very fast and know one knows what it is or where it came from. That's it. That doesn't mean aliens.
I take issue with the notion that unidentified means misidentified. True, a lot of UFO's have been Venus, or balloons. I'd even argue between 95-99%. But there are cases where there simply is no conventional explanation.

So if no humans built these crafts, then who did?

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #100
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.
 
The Question's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hub City
Posts: 39,934
Default Re: Why are people so skeptical of UFO's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
I take issue with the notion that unidentified means misidentified. True, a lot of UFO's have been Venus, or balloons. I'd even argue between 95-99%. But there are cases where there simply is no conventional explanation.

So if no humans built these crafts, then who did?
No one knows. That's my point. Lack of an explanation doesn't mean aliens. All it means is that there is no explanation.

__________________
This is what I have to say to everyone who has a problem with Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.