The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 05-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #126
nogap87
Side-Kick

Default Re: What DIDN'T you like about Iron Man 3? *SPOILER ALERT*

The more I think about this movie the less I like Stark. Endangering his live-in girlfriend was stupid but a billionaire, genius superhero not having some kind of automatic anti-missile weaponry around his house after announcing his address to a major terrorist organization is just beyond pathetic.

And seriously, there are cereal boxes that are harder to get into than Tony's house.

nogap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:21 AM   #127
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

1. The rape of the Mandarin.

2. Humor not as good as the previous films despite having much more of it. Quantity is not quality.

3. Action getting tedious and ending up as so much white noise, especially the end fight, again despite there being more of it in this film than the previous 2 combined. The quantity/quality thing applies here as well.

4. Less attention to detail given regarding the universe's rules. Example: Suddenly Iron Man's near-invincible armors are damn easy to take out.

5. Maya Hansen is in this movie for no reason.

6. Killian's end game is what? He wants to control the war on terror. Why? To what end? No clue and I doubt Black knows either.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:22 AM   #128
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

More than the Mandarin reveal the thing I hated most about this movie was Tony's quip after he saw Pepper bite it. I had already turned on the movie, this almost made me turn on Tony as well.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:31 AM   #129
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
More than the Mandarin reveal the thing I hated most about this movie was Tony's quip after he saw Pepper bite it. I had already turned on the movie, this almost made me turn on Tony as well.
he doesn't make a joke, after she falls he sees Kilian, who makes a smart ass remark and then charges him full of anger and fights him for a solid 2 minutes. After literally getting beat out of 2 suits he then falls back to a lower level with seemingly no chance to win at all. He then is informed that the 42 is coming back and says "i'll be damned, the prodigal sun returns." cue actiony theme music. it then hits the railing and breaks into peices and he looks back and says "whatever" ready to give up all hope, then Killian says "you don't deserve her I had her close to perfect." then Tony says "She was already perfect," and puts the armor onto Killian.

WHERE THE F^&* DOES HE JOKE THERE?????

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
mkilban2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #130
The Game
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&W View Post
but can anybody amswwr my queation. if tony had Ll those extra suits then why sidn't they come to his aid when his house was blown up?
Because he forgot he had them, Shane Black has some explaining to do

Old 05-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #131
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Another curio: How in the hell is it that neither Killian AKA Lava Lamp Man nor any of the other extremis soldiers burn their clothes off? I mean, they're hot enough to melt through solid steel.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #132
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Another curio: How in the hell is it that neither Killian AKA Lava Lamp Man nor any of the other extremis soldiers burn their clothes off? I mean, they're hot enough to melt through solid steel.
That's a 'gimme', after all Hulk's pants stay on.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #133
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
That's a 'gimme', after all Hulk's pants stay on.
Well I sure don't want to see the Hulk's big green dick waving around as he weaks havoc, so I don't even think about that and I don't care.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Norek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #134
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Just his shirt then. He melts his way through a metal floor and pulls himself up through it while it's white hot and his shirt doesn't catch on fire or nothin'. He actually sits on the white hot metal when he asks Pepper is Tony is bothering her and his pants don't catch on fire. This is just badly done, IMO.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #135
divan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Just his shirt then. He melts his way through a metal floor and pulls himself up through it while it's white hot and his shirt doesn't catch on fire or nothin'. He actually sits on the white hot metal when he asks Pepper is Tony is bothering her and his pants don't catch on fire. This is just badly done, IMO.
lol You're really going to question the accuracy of the laws of physics in a Superhero movie? Why doesn't the Hulk rip his pants when he hulks out? How does Stark resist the G-Forces concentrated in his boy during the first Iron Man movie (When he stops all of sudden to distract the F-22, he should have become a squishy bloody mass)? How come Chitauri weapons are powerful enough to blow up cars but when they hit Captain America they practically don't even damage his costume? How can Superman do half the stuff he does? How isn't that half of Gotham's population dead because of radiation poisoning? How can the microwave emitter from Batman Begins turn water into vapor without killing everyone around it, considering the human body is composed by a great amout of water?

We could be here all day. You just hated the movie and see every single detail as a flaw.

divan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #136
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

True, if this movie had won me over I'd be more apt to overlook obvious things that don't make sense. But it didn't so I don't.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #137
divan
Side-Kick

Quote:
True, if this movie had won me over I'd be more apt to overlook obvious things that don't make sense. But it didn't so I don't.
No problem then, I just wanted you to admit that these 'problems' (the last ones I mentioned of course) exist in almost every CBM.

divan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #138
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Never said they weren't. They're just far more noticable here.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #139
Great Mind(s)
Broken

The shrapnel thing. It was like Rogue taking the cure in X3. What now? Why ruin the character? Because RDJ wants to quit soon? That's my theory. Joss Whedon needs to fix this. It's no wonder Joss said "What am I going to do now?" or whatever. Made it seem like this was the movie to beat, I don't think that's what he meant.

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #140
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Well to be fair he got his heart replaced in the comics decades ago. I have no problem with that. That's why they then went to the alchoholism as a new weakness.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #141
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Actually, I'm wrong on that. Tony gietting rid of the shrapnel in his chest happened all the way back in the 1980's. So there's one thing bronze age about this film. But it's so minor and all the way at the end that it basically counts for nothing.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #142
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Quote:
Well to be fair he got his heart replaced in the comics decades ago. I have no problem with that. That's why they then went to the alchoholism as a new weakness.
Oh. Well...did he take the Extremis in this movie? It was never clearly stated. If so, would that give him new powers and whatnot? I think they should have kept Pepper with the power too. She kicked ass. It would make this movie feel less of a filler if those two returned in Avengers 2 kicking ass Extremis style.
Shoulda ended when he says "I am Iron Man" have him glow a little red in his chest area. :/

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #143
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:

6. Killian's end game is what? He wants to control the war on terror. Why? To what end? No clue and I doubt Black knows either.
Killian specifically lays this out.

He will control the most recognized terrorist group (fabricated or not) and have the president in his pocket. He will be controlling both the ready to order terrorist attacks and the governmental response to said attacks. He will effectively be able to control supply and demand for his products.

He literally says all of this.

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #144
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

So.......making money is his end game, I guess. Stane already did that. And he's already rich. Hell, they both were.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #145
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
The shrapnel thing. It was like Rogue taking the cure in X3. What now? Why ruin the character? Because RDJ wants to quit soon? That's my theory. Joss Whedon needs to fix this. It's no wonder Joss said "What am I going to do now?" or whatever. Made it seem like this was the movie to beat, I don't think that's what he meant.

How does removing the shrapnel from his chestt ruin the character?

Removing the shrapnel plays into the arc of character development in this film. Throughout these films, the arc reactor has kept the shrapnel from entering his heart. It didn't solve the problem it merely kept it at bay. In a similar way, Tony never addresses his emotional problems, he pushes them away and just keeps building. His technology just acts as a buffer and allows him to not address his real problems. In both cases he is held at the edge of survival, physically and emotionally. Underlying both is the fear of failure and death. Once he is finally forced to face his fear and anxiety and is able to move past it, he is finally able to recognize all this and says "Why stop there?" After he removes the shrapnel he says something to the effect of "Wasn't that the best night of sleep I had gotten in years." Tony is finally able recognize his real problems and step back from the edge. He has achieved actual confidence rather than egotism and denial. You may call that ruining the character. I call that growth.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #146
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
So.......making money is his end game, I guess. Stane already did that. And he's already rich. Hell, they both were.
Well you know, being in control of one of the most powerful offices in the world isn't too shabby either.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #147
metaphysician
Side-Kick

He didn't want money. He wanted power. Which, in controlling the POTUS, he'd have. Even creating demand for AIM's services probably wasn't about money, really, but about getting approval and test subjects and opportunities to further exert his own power. Assuming he didn't ultimately plan to outright take over the country, which he probably did contemplate doing eventually.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #148
KDM1986
Midnight Sons Founder

Needed more Rhodey/War Machine/Iron Patriot. Also more of Ben Kingsley would have been awesome. Otherwise I enjoyed the movie very much.

KDM1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #149
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

I guess ultimately his final motivations are muddled. Wanting power means nothing unless you have a reason for why you want it. Same thing for money. Mandarin in the comics wanted to remake ths chinese empire after his family got shafted from their high positions when the commies took over. That and he wants to wreck the west as the singular greatest rival to his dreams becoming a reality. He's trying to reclaim his ancestral glory days. Now that's a motivation I can understand.

Killian? Not so much.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #150
Legion
Side-Kick

Quote:
1. The rape of the Mandarin.

2. Humor not as good as the previous films despite having much more of it. Quantity is not quality.

3. Action getting tedious and ending up as so much white noise, especially the end fight, again despite there being more of it in this film than the previous 2 combined. The quantity/quality thing applies here as well.

4. Less attention to detail given regarding the universe's rules. Example: Suddenly Iron Man's near-invincible armors are damn easy to take out.

5. Maya Hansen is in this movie for no reason.

I agree with all of these points. I also wanted to mention that I didn't care for the action because it wasn't very "Iron Man". Too much of the film had Tony in a suit that wasn't fully functional.

Why would he call out the Mandarin, give out his home address and then be so unprepared for battle? This is a cheap plot device. I want to see a villain that is a threat to our hero at his very best. Which at this point in the series Tony should have been.

Then we had all the armor swapping at the end which was just silly.

Using the true Mandarin with magic rings would have been infinitely more interesting than what we got. All of the villains in the Iron Man films have been been evil Tony Starks. A magic based villain that Tony didn't understand would have been better and would have worked well as a follow up to the events of the Avengers. The involvement of the 10 rings organization would have also brought the series full circle.

Legion is offline   Reply With Quote