The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 05-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #151
DaddlerTheDalek
Starship Captain

Default Re: What DIDN'T you like about Iron Man 3? *SPOILER ALERT*

Not enough War Machine/Iron Patriot in Action.

DaddlerTheDalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #152
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Yeah, Rhodey is out of the picture for longer periods here than he was in IM2.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #153
1xruneditions

I wanted to introduce myself on this forum, and bring this to the attention as I think it might interest a lot of people on here. We're a print company based in Detroit Michigan and we work with BASK, an artist who's work was featured in the latest the Iron Man 3 film. Robert Downey Jr. requested that his work be used in the film and it is featured in Stark Mansion, in addition we have created a Limited Edition Box Office Edition Print will remain on sale only while the film is at #1 at the box office.

Images and information are below:

http://1xrun.com/runs/Iron_Man_3_Original_Artwork

1xruneditions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #154
Merlo
Banned User

I really think that it is lost on some people as to why others aren't happy about Iron Man 3 not having Stark suited up for action. It sucks that the only kind of villain that Iron Man can beat in his own movie at this point are Iron Man copy cats. This movie makes Shell head look like a really lame hero with out his suit, sure he was able to stand on his own feet but even struggled to fight lame side villains. It's sad that what we got in the movie happened, there are decades worth of comics based on Iron Man and different interpretations on him. There is a reason why Marvel Studios is called Marvel Studios, this is the most disappointing comic book movie that I have ever seen in my life. I wish Favreau had made this, at least he truly respected and placed love and care for him in his Iron Man movies. The hidden message to me in this movie is that, Iron Man is a laughable super hero, the movie shows Shane Black's strong dislike for a hero like Iron Man, the fact that Tony didn't do coding for Rhodes is what the frick to me. Besides Stark Rhodes is the only one who has business using a suit. I also agree with the idea that the movie turns Stark into a generic hero, he should be beyond that given his level of intellect but nope.

Last edited by Merlo; 05-05-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Merlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #155
Kabuki_Jo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOD View Post
1-The Mandarin's twist is just the same twist used in "Batman Begins" with Ken Watanabe's Ra's Al Ghul, but trying to be funny and failing miserably.

Ben Kingsley's Mandarin was hyped as "the best cbm villain performance since Heath Ledger's Joker" by many fans that expected a memorable battle between Iron Man and his archinemesis. Most of pics, trailers and tv spots made fans dream about how badass Kingsley's Mandarin was going to be... X-D

I just loved these comments I read somewhere else:

2-Guy Pearce's character is just a copy/paste of Jim Carrey's Edward Nigma from "Batman Forever" (even the haircut is the same):

Just watch IM3 again and then watch "Batman Forever", then tell me it's not the same f**king character (without Carrey's funny faces and the drag queen looks).

Ugly nutty professor is ignored by billonaire, he is mad about it, he uses his inventions to become a playboy billonaire as well, then flirts with the protagonist's redhead girlfriend (Kidman, Paltrow), and ultimately goes insane until he is stopped by our hero. Same story arc, same character. I expected that he would scream at the end: "I'm The Riddler!!!" instead of "I'm The Mandarin!!!". XD

3-Maya Hansen is Sylar: "I'm good. Now I'm bad. Now I'm good again. Now I'm dead." Unnecessary and ridiculous character, and a real shame becaise Rebecca Hall deserved a much better role.

4-Disney's executives:

-"How can we make this movie more appealing for kids?"

-"Let's add an unnecesary little sidekick."

-"Yes, every kid in the world will dream about being Iron Man's pal, tons of toys and merchandising will be sold. Cheers."

Do you remember that Batman TAS's episode where Batman is knocked out and a kid finds him unconscious on his batmobile and takes him to his basement? I'm sure some of the writers of this movie has watched that episode and thought that it could be great to use a similar plotline for this film... But in that episode, it made sense because Batman was KO, however in IM3, Tony Stark chooses the help of a kid over calling SHIELD, Captain America, the FBI, the army or any of his thousands of employees...

He is going to face The Mandarin and all of his soldiers with a couple of plastic guns that he has made with the stuff that he has found in a supermarket... This guy is a former arms dealer, a billonaire, an avenger, SHIELD has been behind his ass for 3 consecutive films (but is nowhere to be found on this particular one), he has armors in the Stark Tower, and he has a secret protocol to remotely call dozens of armors from below his recently destroyed beach house (and he could have used said protocol to save his house, his girl and himself when they were attacked before, but he didn't, he rather risks Pepper's life and die under Mandarin's attack), but he goes to the place where The Mandarin is hidden with just a couple of lame tricks, all by himself... What a genius (as he called himself in The Avengers). XD

5-He finally remembers that he has a collection of armors waiting to be used at the end of the movie, which is the biggest toy commercial ever made. XD

6-Said armors seem to be useless against the extremis guys and is ultimately Pepper the one who has to kick the villain's ass to save Tony's, who then decides to destroy all the remaining armors even before he has checked out if Killian is finally dead and won't come back in a question of seconds like he has done just a moment before.

Also who cares how many billions all those armors have cost, he could have used them to save world (or his ass) in "The Avengers 2" or "Iron Man 4", but he will rather just waste many other billions building new armors when he could have used that same money to feed african kids instead.

7- I could go on forever, but my point is that the movie is just a huge disappointment and a failure of epic proportions.
I agree!

Kabuki_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #156
jacobed
Banned User

I'd probably be easier to answer what I liked about this but here we go.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. The twists. All 3 sucked. First off The Mandarin one was complete slap to face of the audience. It was stupid, wasted the completely great talents of Kingsley, it was a pointless twist. The movie trying to be clever when it just falls completely flat on its face and its cringe worthy. Not too mention the complete distaste it does to 50 years of character material. Pepper becoming super human. Yep that's all I need to say.just stupid and once again pointless. Finally taking the arc reactor out. Um why. It's painfully obvious he will just build a suit to fight in. So why do stupid ending. It makes him look like a selfish human and very unlikable.

2. The stupid kid, you don't put kid in these types of movies just plain and simple. They're annoying and their story usually nowhere.
3. Way too many pointless, one dimensional characters. If your name isn't Tony Stark, Pepper or Killan, your plot in this story mostly served no purpose. I mean seriously why even pay actors like Don Cheadle, Sir Ben Kingsley, James Dale Badge or Rebecca Hall you're not going to use them out their talents
4. Lame finale, Pepper kills enough said
5. Horrendous music
6. The Malibu attack. How come Tony doesn't have some sort of defense.
7. To much emphasis on humor, notice how i didn't say too funny because I laughed about 3 times. The movie had too many jokes for one and for 2 they mostly fell flat.
8. Surprisingly amount sub par cg
I'm sure there are more that's all i can think for now

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #157
Iron_Madrigal
Banned User

Plot bipolar-ness.

Stark makes a ton of suits.

Stark challenges Mandarin.

Isn't prepared and gets his ass kicked.

Final battle, summons all his suits, which he could have done before.

Etc, etc.

Iron_Madrigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #158
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

The Mandarin twist is still bugging me. Kingsley's performance as the fake Mandarin was superb and I wanted him to confront Stark. I'm just sour on the whole thing. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Matt Mortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #159
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by divan View Post
lol You're really going to question the accuracy of the laws of physics in a Superhero movie? Why doesn't the Hulk rip his pants when he hulks out? How does Stark resist the G-Forces concentrated in his boy during the first Iron Man movie (When he stops all of sudden to distract the F-22, he should have become a squishy bloody mass)? How come Chitauri weapons are powerful enough to blow up cars but when they hit Captain America they practically don't even damage his costume? How can Superman do half the stuff he does? How isn't that half of Gotham's population dead because of radiation poisoning? How can the microwave emitter from Batman Begins turn water into vapor without killing everyone around it, considering the human body is composed by a great amout of water?

We could be here all day. You just hated the movie and see every single detail as a flaw.
I'm actually going to answer a few these. Superman is an alien. One would assume if humans are making a microwave emitter they would design it not to affect humans. The nuke was designed from a clean energy device this is why there's no radiation. Iron Man's suit takes control of the g forces.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #160
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Actually, I'm wrong on that. Tony gietting rid of the shrapnel in his chest happened all the way back in the 1980's. So there's one thing bronze age about this film. But it's so minor and all the way at the end that it basically counts for nothing.
The 'why' didn't bother me, it was the 'how' that annoyed the crap out of me.
Surgery is all it took. A couple of doctors, a scalpel and some tweezers.
Unfortunately none of these were available in IM1 or IM2.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #161
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
The 'why' didn't bother me, it was the 'how' that annoyed the crap out of me.
Surgery is all it took. A couple of doctors, a scalpel and some tweezers.
Unfortunately none of these were available in IM1 or IM2.

Yeah especially when it was KILLING him in IM2. Just stupid

Old 05-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #162
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

I didn't like many things, but I'll admit there may be a reason for them and I just didn't catch them:

1. The first half of the film was too grim for me. It felt like a Batman movie.

2. The Mandarin twist didn't bother me on a personal level because I don't care about him but intellectually it would've been a better idea to keep the really scary villain over (yet another) bad guy in a suit.

3. I don't get why Killian hired Trevor in the first place. It seems as though Extremis gave him some mind control powers over the people he injected, so why not give one of them plastic surgery and tell him what to do and say as the Mandarin? Instead so much of his plan depended on a junkie.

4. The humor fell flat for me.

5. Why did Tony take on the Mandarin in Miami on his own? He couldn't even be bothered to call the police?

6. Why did Killian only attack Tony after he gave his address? Surely he could've figured that out before.

7. Killian in the opening scene was embarrassingly campy.

8. No Justin Hammer. The ending of IM2 suggested he'd be returning for revenge.

9. I couldn't figure out what it took to kill the Extremis soldiers. Sometimes blowing them up seemed to work other times (for example, Pepper in the end) they would just shake it off.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #163
CyclopsSummers
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddlerTheDalek View Post
Not enough War Machine/Iron Patriot in Action.

No IM/Iron Patriot fighting together like IM2

CyclopsSummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #164
Merlo
Banned User

I cannot stand the general tone of this movie at all, this movie being deep...that sounds like non sense to me. I love how people are acting as if the movie is genuinely original and deep. Depth means diddly squat in a movie if it's boring and/or never mattered to the one who is viewing it. I dare say that objectively speaking that the movie isn't deep, if the movie truly was deep when it came to stark then everybody who has discussed the movie would have tooted that horn, but it is clearly not the case. The movie is an old school case of over self-indulgent, why? Cause of non other than Shane Black. As far as I am concerned, the movie brought nothing new to the table at all. Unheard of concepts that is. As a movie that was suppose to be original, it completely fails, the blue print of the movie that was used isn't just childish (as in simple), but very childish. When I say childish, I don't mean 100% childish. If Stark was deep he would have spouted stuff like poetry or lyrics to songs that he concocted, Stark's character in the movie is basically banal/average joe. BASICALLY. There are many familiar components to him. I think that the movie dumbed down Iron Man too much based on certain stuff that happened to him.

Last edited by Merlo; 05-05-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Merlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #165
T912938

Tony getting his shrapnel removed, and he destroyed his suits?

T912938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #166
Excelgeneration
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki_Jo View Post
I agree!
I agree that you agree with his post.

Excelgeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #167
Iron_Madrigal
Banned User

Knowing that Aldrich has a high tolerance for explosions, I thought it a bit premature for Tony to destroy all his suits without knowing for sure that Aldrich was dedd.

Iron_Madrigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #168
Ruwac

I just loved Tony's arc reactor. Probably better than the armor itself.

So shame that he just removes. BTW, I have no idea how war machine works cause Rhode does not have reactor. Plus, Don cheadle? no kidding...

Ruwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #169
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

The movie had some serious logic problems.

Tony issues a threat to the Mandarin. So you would assume that he would put on his best suit of armor, and be ready for a fight. Instead, he puts on an incomplete prototype, and sits around his house, with apparently no security. If his unexpected houseguest hadn't been looking at a television broadcast of a missile hitting his house, he'd be dead...

Then there's the part where Tony is stranded in Tennessee. We later find out that he has a ton of armors in his basement just waiting to be summoned. Why didn't he summon one of them?

And less of a logic problem, but where the hell were the Avengers or SHIELD? In Iron Man 2 they felt shoehorned in. Here where you actually expect them to show up at some point, they never do (except for Banner in the stinger).

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #170
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Then there's the part where Tony is stranded in Tennessee. We later find out that he has a ton of armors in his basement just waiting to be summoned. Why didn't he summon one of them?
Depends if you buy the fact that they had to excavate the remains of his house to reach the basement where they were stored.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #171
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Depends if you buy the fact that they had to excavate the remains of his house to reach the basement where they were stored.
Right, but even then, what about the armors in New York?

Old 05-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #172
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Ehh, don't know about that. I guess you can argue he moved them all to his home or that he didn't have access to them. But I don't buy either of those.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #173
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Maybe if he only had like a handful, I would have bought that, but he has dozens of them. Them all showing up at the end on command just makes that whole "no armor" sequence seem like a plot hole of sorts.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:04 AM   #174
weezerspider
Side-Kick

I've avoided this thread knowing 'the twist' discussion would be here too, but here goes:

Overall I really really liked the film. My few complaints:

1. The pacing is pretty awful for an action film. The first half hourish is story, then an action sequence...then the middle is extremely slow and then the last act or so is pretty much all action.

2. Tony's simply not in the suit enough. I'm not talking about him controlling the suit like the Air Force One scene. Thats fine, thats still Iron Man in action. I'm talking about that we got two-three action sequences of Tony Stark plus a repulsar...It was cool, and I didn't HATE it, but I certainly would have preferred more of Tony in full armor.

3. Rhodey needed some more screentime. It was great he was a big part of the climax, but he was completely missing for long portions of the film. He had a few quick scenes in the first half, but his presence really isn't felt until the last 30ish minutes.

4. Rhodey should have had more action in his suit as well. I wish Iron Patriot and Iron Man kicked some ass together in the climax.

5. The climax should have shown the suits fighting the extremis soldiers more. There wasn't that much of that. The audience got the idea that it was a big battle, but we didn't really get to SEE it. We should have gotten to SEE it.

6. I liked the humor, but there was a little too much of it.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the film.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:16 AM   #175
kane9321
oakland's finest

The mandarin was a complete and utter joke...hated his scenes

Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
The X-Men films are like an abusive boyfriend.
They treat you well, (X-Men 1 and 2) and then they show their true colors (X3 and Wolverine: Origins), then they promise that they can change (X-Men: First Class and The Wolverine), now you see them with a prostitute. (X-Men: DOTFP)
kane9321 is offline   Reply With Quote