3 2 1.64%
2 1 0.82%
1 2 1.64%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #251
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Default Re: Official rate & review IRON MAN 3 thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post
One thing that I've noticed about a lot of the naysayers of this film:

I'm not quite sure what they wanted from this movie. One moment, I'm hearing that they were hoping for a more "Nolan" approach. The next minute, I'm hearing that The Mandarin wasn't nearly accurate enough to the comics.

I'm not dissing the people who didn't enjoy this film or anything (everybody has different tastes), but this is just something I've noticed.
I can only speak for myself, but I never wanted a Nolan approach for IM3.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #252
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

You're still equivocating, ElMariachi. Your definition is too malleable. Doesn't matter if you are saying "unrealistic" or "campy" or "stupid" or what... its too flexible to be helpful. I'd run through the reasons for it again but since you ignored those posts I think I'd be ignored yet again...

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #253
jamesraiz
New User - Level 0

I thought it was amazing and what a reveal at the end - I know lots weren't impressed with the huge change in the "Mandarin" character, but I thought it worked so well with this story!

BTW - if you guys want to see, Im a former marvel artist and I drew a preview of the movie you can see here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PiDxBqXuTo

Now excited for Thor!

James
https://www.facebook.com/TheBoxOfficeArtist

Old 05-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #254
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMariachi View Post
I'm not taking the criticism of this movie personally. I just am curious why people who hated something are dwelling on it for days. It's borderline concern trolling. If you didn't like the movie, you didn't like the movie. Negative opinions are one thing, excessive nitpicking and criticism is another. The movie isn't going to get better and what's done is done. All I see now is people trying to convince others that the movie sucked.
Yes you are, if you still believe people should only post good stuff on these forums and go away if they don't, and if you think anyone is convincing anyone that this movie sucked or was brilliant.

Personally, I love a good discussion, no matter if I agree or disagree with someone. I have learned a lot of stuff from intelligent posters in different forums, who I didn't always agree with. I love talking about movies, no matter good or bad. That has value to me and I don't expect you to understand if you're the kind of person that only wants to see people praising something around here. Which is fine, it doesn't make you any more right or wrong, but defending something you like is fine. Calling me a troll for continuously criticizing something is not however, and goes a little too far. I suggest you cut off these silly accusations and have a little more respect to others who disagree with you.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Old 05-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #255
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
Yeah, Captain America was supposedly based on science rather than magic, yet we had stuff like the Cosmic cube that makes no sense scientifically. Thor even played with the idea that science and magic is the same thing, and for these kinds of movies, and especially after Avengers, it's all the same thing on screen. It's too much for a ring to throw fire, but it's fine for a person to breathe it like a dragon because there's a scientific explanation behind it (which there isn't).
You aren't understanding my arguments here, guys.

To explain a magic ring, you have to explain where it came from. You are going to have to explain an entirely new alien species and how these magic rings somehow got to earth. This would have ruined the movie because that's not what MCU Iron Man is about. It works for Thor and Avengers because those franchises are all about aliens. I didn't think the Cube in Captain America was the best choice either. I still loved the movie but it undermined the whole WWII experience of the film. Captain America and Iron Man should be relatively grounded characters.

Prof. X sittin' on Adamantium wheelchair rims, reading your stupid minds & laughing at your hair.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #256
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Quote:
I didn't say they are realistic. I said that they are believable fantasy. A long distance remote control suit isn't the same thing as a magic ring.
The ring isn't magic. It's alien technology.

It's only magic if you don't unterstand it.

If you don't understand the concept of gravity, gravity is magic.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #257
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Nope. Just defending our view of the film from those who bring fallacious arguments against it, try to call us hypocrites, or try to call us trolls.

Again, you're avoiding the content of this discussion for baseless speculation about our motivations.
You all made your points though. You didn't like the movie. Why are you wasting your time trying to defend why you didn't like the movie. What is there to even defend? You claim noble intentions but I've been on this forum long enough to see that it's nothing more than schadenfreude. There is a certain pleasure that some of you are getting out of ragging on this movie. It's bizarre, it really is.

Prof. X sittin' on Adamantium wheelchair rims, reading your stupid minds & laughing at your hair.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #258
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Quote:
You aren't understanding my arguments here, guys.

To explain a magic ring, you have to explain where it came from. You are going to have to explain an entirely new alien species and how these magic rings somehow got to earth. This would have ruined the movie because that's not what MCU Iron Man is about. It works for Thor and Avengers because those franchises are all about aliens. I didn't think the Cube in Captain America was the best choice either. I still loved the movie but it undermined the whole WWII experience of the film. Captain America and Iron Man should be relatively grounded characters.
But Mandarin has those rings and Mandarin is an important part of the Iron Man mythology.

How can you say that Iron Man's arch enemy doesn't fit in an Iron Man movie?

How can you say that "Extremis allowing a scientist to breath fire" is science and is okay in an Iron man movie, but "alien technology allowing a ring to control minds" isn't?

Sorry, there isn't really a difference. It's only in your head.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #259
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
You all made your points though. You didn't like the movie. Why are you wasting your time trying to defend why you didn't like the movie. What is there to even defend? You claim noble intentions but I've been on this forum long enough to see that it's nothing more than schadenfreude. There is a certain pleasure that some of you are getting out of ragging on this movie. It's bizarre, it really is.
Because people like to debate the pros and cons of movies. That's kinda obvious.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #260
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Quote:

Old 05-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #261
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Quote:
You're still equivocating, ElMariachi. Your definition is too malleable. Doesn't matter if you are saying "unrealistic" or "campy" or "stupid" or what... its too flexible to be helpful. I'd run through the reasons for it again but since you ignored those posts I think I'd be ignored yet again...
Yes, it does matter. Magic rings are campy. The CGI to support these awesome powers emitting from someones hand would more than likely be suspect. It's a personal opinion and has been so long before this movie came out. I don't want to see Iron Man bogged down with explanations of further alien worlds and cultures. This isn't Green Lantern.

I don't think you are understanding the difference between fantasy technology and fantasy. Transporters, lasers, arc reactors, Iron Man suits, lightsabers, hyperdrive space travel, and miracle drugs is sci-fi. They aren't currently possible but perhaps they will be in the future. Magic swords, spells, magic rings, the Force, dragons, orcs, and talking trees & animals is straight up fantasy. Keep the more believable stuff in Iron Man and Captain America. Save the ridiculous stuff for Thor, Avengers, and Guardians of the Galaxy. This is all I am saying and I don't think I am being unreasonable.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #262
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
You won't believe anything I say, so why respond to this? You get some sort of schadenfreude out of criticizing us and questioning our motivations. I like having a nice conversation about the merits of the film. I can see our conversation isn't going to be nice, but instead you are going to continue to resort to these ad hominem attacks questioning my motives.

Believe whatever conspiracy theory you want about me. Imagine whatever you wish. You can't seem to handle the fact that people simply have a different opinion than you do. So rationalize it away however you want. I'm not going to discuss it with you any further.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #263
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
...tried to vote in the poll above but it wouldn't let me.

I absolutely loved this movie. It definitely broke the "trilogy" movie curse.

10/10
i agree completely... all other third's in a series were a let down, this was so much fun

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 05-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #264
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Not this trilogy curse nonsense again.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #265
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
The general audience will accept anything if it's presented in a logical/plausible way.
Like Tony Stark building the first arc reactor in a cave with a box of scraps.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #266
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Nolanite View Post
Did he ? I know I was going "Oh **** Killian you dun done it now" "Mark-42 inbound get ready for a severe beating". "Get ready for a barrage of lasers, rockets, massive chest RT, iron melee, all that good stuff."

That is what I expect from the movie at that point and it was certainly long overdue. But what happens ? Mk-dopey2 trips and explodes in a dozen pieces. And Stark goes "whatever"

What do you MEAN whatever ? So you don't care about Avenging Pepper ? You know what they say about those that don't care about Avenging, they're not true...*dies
i think so, his face looked pretty pissed off, not only that, but like i previously said... the larger the shock, the more tony refuses to deal with it... thus the PTSD

[=]
Old 05-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #267
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Not this trilogy curse nonsense again.
This so-called "trilogy curse" was broken years ago based on my opinion.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 05-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #268
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
Yes you are, if you still believe people should only post good stuff on these forums and go away if they don't, and if you think anyone is convincing anyone that this movie sucked or was brilliant.

Personally, I love a good discussion, no matter if I agree or disagree with someone. I have learned a lot of stuff from intelligent posters in different forums, who I didn't always agree with. I love talking about movies, no matter good or bad. That has value to me and I don't expect you to understand if you're the kind of person that only wants to see people praising something around here. Which is fine, it doesn't make you any more right or wrong, but defending something you like is fine. Calling me a troll for continuously criticizing something is not however, and goes a little too far. I suggest you cut off these silly accusations and have a little more respect to others who disagree with you.
I do have respect for those that disagree with me. I personally think there is more to it than simple discussion of movies. I read countless movie related websites. Every single one of them features posters/forumers with blatant agendas or some underlying geek rivalry. It really doesn't appear to be any different here when I read the same posters saying how much they hate the movie pretty much in every post. I don't care if people liked the movie. It's not like I get paid by Marvel or have some vested interest in the outcome.

By the way, God save our souls if Man of Steel is bad. The arguments over there might crash this website and blow up computers.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #269
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
This so-called "trilogy curse" was broken years ago based on my opinion.
Bourne Ultimatum kicked the trilogy curse's butt.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #270
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Bourne Ultimatum kicked the trilogy curse's butt.
That was one of greatest finales for a franchise.

Then came along the spinoff sequel...

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 05-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #271
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Quote:
You won't believe anything I say, so why respond to this? You get some sort of schadenfreude out of criticizing us and questioning our motivations. I like having a nice conversation about the merits of the film. I can see our conversation isn't going to be nice, but instead you are going to continue to resort to these ad hominem attacks questioning my motives.

Believe whatever conspiracy theory you want about me. Imagine whatever you wish. You can't seem to handle the fact that people simply have a different opinion than you do. So rationalize it away however you want. I'm not going to discuss it with you any further.
I believe what you say, I just find it strange that people are supposedly this outraged over an Iron Man movie. Over a C-list villain that people have no real attachment to. It has raised by 'BS meter' ever since this movie was released. You would almost think that Favreau created the second coming of Star Wars and Shane Black came in going 2000's Lucas all over it.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #272
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
In my defense, I wasn't expectating Marvel Studios to pull a twist like this after The New York invasion. I honesty thought that the IM franchise (along with other MCU titles) was fully enveloped in fantasy, or at least a somewhat grounded version of it. My instincts were pointing toward Killian but I neglected them. That's on me. I'm not even a fan of The Mandarin but the twist killed the potential for the character in my opinion.

I appreciate IM3 (enjoyed the humor, performances and 'little moments' like Tony saving his robotic helper as you mentioned) but there were several over-the-top scenes that made me question the writing.
for me, the point that actually made me enjoy the mandarin twist was realizing that killian very much was the modern take on mandarin from the comics, the tattoos, the slicing through armor with his bare hands etc... the only thing really missing from his iconography was his rings and facial hair. while as

Killian was to Mandarin, what Tony is to Iron Man. Captain America said it best in the avengers "What are you without your suit of armor" something Tony even echoed in this film. Tony made himself be an extension of the armor rather than letting the armor be an extension of himself. This film was a study on the Tony's psychology more than anything... they stripped him of his home, his armor, and he had to own up and figure out how to save the day essentially as just plain ole Tony Stark. Tony is Iron Man, but Iron Man is more than just an entity and a propaganda piece (see the warmachine/iron patriot parallel)... Iron Man IS Tony Stark.

Would it have been great to see a badass real mandarin? sure, but it's far less thought provoking imo than what this film ended up being, which i do rather like. It's a very smart film disguised as a simple fun action movie.

[=]
Old 05-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #273
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

8/10....great humor, nice action, and good story.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #274
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

This trilogy curse is an old wives tale. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Good the Bad and the Ugly, Return of the King, Toy Story 3, and Die Hard with a Vengeance anyone?

Old 05-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #275
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
That was one of greatest finales for a franchise.

Then came along the spinoff sequel...

Shhhhh....we don't talk about Legacy.

Closed Thread