2 1 0.82%
1 2 1.64%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #301
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: Official rate & review IRON MAN 3 thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
if China didn't care about upholding a certain perception, then why was the invading force in the Red Dawn remake altered?
Probably because the crazier dictator that poses a threat today, as opposed to the 80's, is North Korea.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #302
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Nah, you don't say? Kingsley isn't white. He could've fooled me with his hairdo, outfit, accent, etc.

Marvel Studios and RDJ have been talking about The Mardarin since production of IM1 was in place. This was never 'new' or unexpected. Furthermore, if China didn't care about upholding a certain perception, then why was the invading force in the Red Dawn remake altered?
actually, the original script for this film included Ghost, not Mandarin, and Fiege and Black both denied Mandarin was in the film (in fact flat out said he wasn't) until production had already started. Mandarin was an after thought.

CHINA DOES care... that's why you didn't get the Mandarin you wanted. No one has argued against that.

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 05-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #303
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

This is NOT the Batman forums.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #304
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Probably because the crazier dictator that poses a threat today, as opposed to the 80's, is North Korea.
Yeah, but come on, N. Korea? That'd be the equivalent of Venezuela invading Mexico.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 05-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #305
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Quote:
This is NOT the Batman forums.
Aw man...

"Sure thing kiddo, I'll just keep pretending to put food in your mouth and clothes on your gorram back"
Old 05-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #306
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
that as well... (thought they did change it from china to NK in post production), so it was originally china in the remake.

though North Korea even without worrying about China getting offended makes far more sense anyway.

[=]
Old 05-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #307
antonydavanzo
Side-Kick

Well I'm off to see it for a 3rd time on Tuesday and as an added bonus we will have none other than Trevor the Mandarin introducing the film. The movie screening is at Cineworld in Witney, Oxfordshire, Uk. The best thing is I was able to use unlimited card so it cost nothing!

Old 05-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #308
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonydavanzo View Post
Well I'm off to see it for a 3rd time on Tuesday and as an added bonus we will have none other than Trevor the Mandarin introducing the film. The movie screening is at Cineworld in Witney, Oxfordshire, Uk. The best thing is I was able to use unlimited card so it cost nothing!
Shweet. Lucky you.

Proud Co-founder of Gambit’s Royal Flush
Old 05-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #309
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

I really wasn't sure what to expect with this movie. The Avengers was absolutely amazing, so I knew getting back into the solo films would be a little tricky. You have to deal with these characters by themselves and with the fact aliens literally invaded Earth just a few months ago. I think Iron Man 3 handled the situation nicely. It lives in a post-Avengers world and that pleases me. They could of easily just went on their way with no real consequences or after effects. I think Tony's PTSD was really well done. The story was well done, but it really lies in the character. I think RDJ did great things with Stark in this film. I honestly think we've had a large transformation with Stark from IM1 to IM3. The Mandarin was the ultimate mental test for him at a time of his life where his mental stability isn't at its best. Which brings me to the Mandarin. I knew about the twist before seeing the movie. In all honesty, it helped me better prepare myself. I don't hate them for what they did. It worked in the context of the film and all, but it just... I don't really know. When I found out Ben Kingsley would be the Mandarin, I thought it was casting at its best. Then the trailers came out and I just knew I was right. It was casting at its best. So the twist was extremely hard for me to swallow the other day when I found out. Knowing it, the twist made me not feel this way in the middle of the film. I accepted what happened. It worked for the most part in the film. But it still leaves a strange taste in my mouth. Kingsley would of been a terrific Mandarin. Pierce was a great Mandarin in the end, and that's why I could accept the twist. The Mandarin was still there, now it's Pierce.

Overall I would give it a 9/10. I liked it a lot more than Iron Man 2, but Iron Man 1 is still the best out of the three. I can accept the twist, and maybe I'll like it more the second time around, but for now it's alright. The humor was good, it was a little bit overused at times though. But for the most part it was excellent. I thought the storyline with the kid were really good. And I liked the Christmas feel of the movie, it was pretty interesting. I hope Extremis doesn't fade away for the rest of the trilogy. Maybe they'll do something cool and combine it with the super-soldier serum or something.

9/10.

P.S. Those end credits were epic.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #310
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
I loved IM3....the "twist" didn't bother or upset me in the least....matter of fact, thought it was pretty funny how they did it.
Me. too! I think it actually made the film. It wouldn't have been the same without it.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #311
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
actually, the original script for this film included Ghost, not Mandarin, and Fiege and Black both denied Mandarin was in the film (in fact flat out said he wasn't) until production had already started. Mandarin was an after thought.
That goes against what RDJ and Feige said about Mandarin in a recent interview. According to Robert, Mandarin was heavy favorite for the third installment.

Quote:
CHINA DOES care... that's why you didn't get the Mandarin you wanted. No one has argued against that.
That's my point. I feel as if this wasn't The Mandarin. It was just some random character that got slapped with the title.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 05-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #312
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeekness View Post
Me. too! I think it actually made the film. It wouldn't have been the same without it.
The audience at my showing thought it was great....no BOOOsss or THEY RUINED THE MOVIE were shouted......

Old 05-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #313
Travesty
Feelin it in my bones!

You're more of a Marvel-guy, C Lee. What would you rate it?

"Eh ohs, I put on a smiley face mask and stuff. That ways, I can see faces"

-Robin John Blake
Old 05-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #314
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
The audience at my showing thought it was great....no BOOOsss or THEY RUINED THE MOVIE were shouted......
Everyone laughed in mine, lol. We all thought it was great. Especially when Stark made the girls go into the bathroom after and they were like eww!!!

Old 05-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #315
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
That goes against what RDJ and Feige said about Mandarin in a recent interview. According to Robert, Mandarin was heavy favorite for the third installment.

That's my point. I feel as if this wasn't The Mandarin. It was just some random character that got slapped with the title.
well RDJ isn't wrong about that considering that's exactly who Fav's was building up. I don't think the pay off of "Mandarin" was ultimately met, not when you look at the concept of the trilogy..

1) Iron Man 3 just introduced us to the character without any throw backs to the previous two films (this would have been where Justin Hammer might of actually made a great addition to the film) Hammer, Raza, and Stane were all part of the "10 rings", but i feel like we should have been given a truly obvious connection to that... and we didn't. When in reality, they probably were working for "the Mandarin" with no awareness of AIM or Killian being behind it all

2) yes, we didn't get a comic accurate Mandarin and we probably never were. I think splitting the old mandarin with the new and comparing it to tony/ironman was pretty brilliant, but it's also not necessarily the only way to of had that happen. I think they could have just as easily created a "ras al ghul" who bastardized all cultures.. and was just a truly miserable human being. And focused on making the film have Tony deal with the concept of Magic vs Science. He just witnessed tech and magic he doesn't understand. I think a great struggle for Tony to defeat the Mandarin would have been to learning how to counter this Magic (or Alien Tech) whichever route they took, and apply his knowledge of science ... realizing they are properties that are one in the same. It would have been a nice struggle with many of the same themes we got.

we can always ask our selves "what could have been" i mean in all honesty i think most fans can always take a film and find ways to improve on something, even the best films of all time.

Also... Kingsley lived.. and Killian had a very "comic booky" death... so one could always return.

I wouldn't object to Killian returning with a beard, asgardian or alien tech rings, and Trevor's Robe in a future film.. it's all possible. likely or not.

i wont hold out hope though, because i was perfectly "ok" with this twist. And thought it made for a more thought provoking story.

[=]
Old 05-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #316
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Then you haven't read the comics. The plot was almost straight out of hart of darkness. They merged that with the Extremis story.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #317
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeekness View Post
Everyone laughed in mine, lol. We all thought it was great. Especially when Stark made the girls go into the bathroom after and they were like eww!!!
I was ROFL at that!

Old 05-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #318
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
You're more of a Marvel-guy, C Lee. What would you rate it?
I generally don't like to give ratings.....but I gave IM3 a 9/10...I feel it is the second best of the Marvel films (AVENGERS is #1 to me).

Old 05-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #319
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

also for those sore about Mandarin not having magic rings... it was a lose/lose either way.. Fav's suggested from even the first film, that Mandarin's rings would have been metaphorical.. and been about 10 "crime/terrorist rings" Not literal magic

[=]
Old 05-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #320
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Not this trilogy curse nonsense again.
No there's no curse, but it is hard for many movies to maintain momentum for three films. Even films like Return of the Jedi were viewed by some as a let down.

Some of the worst examples of the third installment, have been Superhero movies unfortunately, the worst offender being Superman 3, IMO.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #321
Blade X
Side-Kick

This was not a bad movie, but it is an (IMO) underwhelming/weak superhero movie,

THE GOOD

RDJ as Tony/Iron Man and the rest of the cast.
The humor.
The action/fight scenes.
This movies version of how and why Tony can control his armor with his mind (no Extremis super power crap).
The special effects.

THE BAD

Way too much Tony/Rhodey/Pepper kicking butt, not nearly enough Iron Man and Iron Patriot kicking butt.
All that crap with the Mandarin.
Armors getting destroyed so easily.
Tony remote controlling the armors to do most of the fighting for him.
Tony/Iron Man not being the one to defeat/take down the main bad guy.
Tony pulling a GUNDAM WING:ENDLESS WALTZ and destroying all of his armor.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #322
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

The more I think about IM3 the more I like it. I hope it holds up when I see it again.

I remember thinking that IM2 was decent when I first saw it and the more I thought about the film the more I disliked it and when I saw it on DVD I just couldn't stand it. Hopefully 3 holds up much better.

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 05-04-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #323
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

After thinking about it all this time, and after seeing the movie almost two weeks ago, I believe that the "twist" was the best possible way of introducing the character into this MCU they've been constructing. It's bold, different and, in some way,
we got both versions of the Mandarin on screen. But to do that, one of them had to be sacrificed.

Also, we still don't know which ones or how certain plot points from Iron Man Three will evolve during Phase II. I read somewhere that Feige said this movie presented many seeds for the future of the MCU, is just that they're not as obvious as the ones introduced for Phase I.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #324
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

As a non IM fan I enjoyed the movie and I'm one of those few that liked IM2 too which I don't understand all the hate but that's for another thread.

The way Mandarin was handled I know will enrage the fanboys but I found it an interesting twist in keeping with the tone already established with the trilogy, I don't see how a clown with magical rings can be a threat to Tony if the writers had stayed true to the comics version of Mandarin (sorry I'm not an IM fan).

I liked the nod Happy Hogan mentions about Tony hanging out with the SuperFriends and cool to see familiar actors like William Sadler and Miguel Ferrer who coincidentally was in the original Robocop that featured a man in suit too.

RDJ as always will probably be seen as Iron Man and will be impossible to replace if and when Marvel decides to reboot the series.

I give it a 5/5 stars and can't wait for Avengers 2.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #325
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
RDJ as always will probably be seen as Iron Man and will be impossible to replace if and when Marvel decides to reboot the series.

I give it a 5/5 stars and can't wait for Avengers 2.
Downy is to IM as Depp is Sparrow. Neither one could ever be replaced.

Closed Thread