3 2 1.64%
2 1 0.82%
1 2 1.64%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #751
The Ironstar
Side-Kick

Default Re: Official rate & review IRON MAN 3 thread!

‘Iron Man 3′ is the Most Political Superhero Movie Ever Made

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/fea...-man-3-is-the-
most-political-superhero-movie-ever-made.php

Quote:
Unlike prior exotic villains, Kingley’s Mandarin is revealed to not be a threat at all, but simply a convenient icon of terror for the Information Age. The cultural and political schizophrenia embodied by Kingley’s Mandarin is performative of an ill-defined war “on terror” that nominally seeks to obliterate a tactic rather than, say, defeat a nation 20th-century style (as with the indecipherable Mandarin, contemporary, culturally-varied acts of terrorism make xenophobia rather difficult). Between his Bin Laden beard, his samurai bob, and his vaguely brown appearance (Sir Kingley’s made a career of being a master ethnic chameleon – the Fred Armisen of British knighthood), The Mandarin is realized through a virtual Orientalist salad whose smorgasbord of signifiers all decode a “terrorist” while at the same time suggesting no coherent ideology or distinct political association, complete with a strange Midwestern accent. It’s quite brilliant, then, that the accumulation of these signs lead only to a hollow core when The Mandarin is revealed to be simply a desperate British actor.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #752
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
This is a little hidden secret in Hollywood that film critics will not admit to of course. They like getting paid side money.
They hand out the money at Area 51. Tinfoil hats optional.

How many times do you need to be warned about trolling? You're running out of warnings.

Deal with the fact that some actually enjoyed the film, and move on with your life, please.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #753
Fenrir
Devourer Of Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ironstar View Post
‘Iron Man 3′ is the Most Political Superhero Movie Ever Made

[url]http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/features/why-iron-man-3-is-the-most-political-superhero-movie-ever-made.php
Fixed link. Also, I think it would be hard to top The Dark Knight when it comes to political overtones. That film was practically seething with post-9/11 commentary coming out of every single plot point: terrorism, torture, unrestrained surveillance, morally ambigious protagonists, political and social game-theory, jurisdictional limits (both in terms of domestic law enforcement as well as in international relations), tensions with China...the list goes on and on. Sure, there are some elements such as the Mandarin being an archetype of a media boogeyman but that hardly qualifies it as 'the most political superhero movie ever made'.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #754
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
This is a little hidden secret in Hollywood that film critics will not admit to of course. They like getting paid side money.

There was a critic who was kicked out of reviewing on RT for taking kick backs. His name is Armond White I believe.
Armond White isn't an RT critic anymore because he left the New York Press, which is included in the Tomatometer, and now works for a publication that is not included on RT. Accusing White of being in the pay of the studios is beyond laughable. The man never saw a blockbuster he didn't hate. If the studios were paying him, they wasted their money.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:06 AM   #755
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:

There was a critic who was kicked out of reviewing on RT for taking kick backs. His name is Armond White I believe.
Armond White is not a legit critic. He's been known to be a troublemaker for years. We've mocked him on these boards many of times, and many other critics such as the late Roger Ebert have ranted extensively about his unsavory practices.

White's a joke.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:09 AM   #756
blksuperman2
Deadly Akuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
IM3 is a mess, I agree. There's plenty of good action scenes, impressive stunts and CGI, great acting, etc. But there were a lot of things that took me out of the movie. I have a long list of problems with this movie, that I'm not going to explore here. I'm pretty much done with it. I think IM3 suffers from overload. Too much remote control armor, too many people using the armor, using Extremis to do anything the story needs at any given time, too much joking around. There are some major themes that could've been dealt with, but everything is just setting up the next huge action scene, instead.

There were quite a few people in my theater laughing hysterically at everything, similar to Transformers 2. They don't give a damn about the supposed high-minded socio-cultural critiques the movie is making. They want to be blown out of their seats with explosions, silly gags, and fireworks. This movie is mainly for them. It felt much more like a silly, over-the-top Michael Bay movie, than the gem they produced with the first IM movie.

If there are any Iron Man fans who still haven't seen it, my recommendation is to just save your money and wait until it comes to cable. Or better yet, just pop in the first IM and enjoy a truly well-rounded movie.

I give it a 4/10. For those who don't really care about the core characters or numerous flaws, it's a bombastic, funny and impressive-looking thrill ride.
I didn't wanna bring this up but that's exactly how I felt. I've come to actually enjoy Bayformers movies because I know exactly what I'm gonna get. There are some movies that you know you're gonna have to remove your brain for 2hrs and I'm fine w/ that. I just expected more from the IM franchise. Many are saying that it's at least better than IM2 but it's a little less for me. lol, I'm used to cameos now. No SHIELD or Nick Fury or Widow or Iron man theme music doesn't feel like an IM movie to me.

My website :My NEW Fan Art thread
Old 05-09-2013, 02:45 AM   #757
Obsidian Idea
The light is blinding

Thumbs up Re: Official rate & review IRON MAN 3 thread!

Saw it yesterday...I just loved it...everything...the twists, the action, the levity, the intensity...I think it trumped I1 and I2. I have NO complaints. Excellent end to the trilogy...for now.

I really feel, we comic folk...we're too critical at times. Everybody is entitled to what they want and expect but what we got was a really, good flick.

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:" John 10:27 (New King James Version)

Last edited by Obsidian Idea; 05-09-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:15 AM   #758
thalidomide
The Enemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
They hand out the money at Area 51. Tinfoil hats optional.

How many times do you need to be warned about trolling? You're running out of warnings.

Deal with the fact that some actually enjoyed the film, and move on with your life, please.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #759
VictorShade
Side-Kick

Saw it yesterday. Enjoyable, sure. Funny,... yeah. The music outright sucked. Not as good as IM1 or 2 in my opinion.
The most importat thing about this movie is that it introduces AIM into the MCU. That's awesome!! Being as the Hanson chick was not touched on after she fell down into the fire, and we saw that extremis infected folks (bald dude), can survive after severe burning, i'm hoping that maybe she will return in othe MCU properties as the head of AIM. In the guise of Madame Masque.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #760
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorShade View Post
Saw it yesterday. Enjoyable, sure. Funny,... yeah. The music outright sucked. Not as good as IM1 or 2 in my opinion.
The most importat thing about this movie is that it introduces AIM into the MCU. That's awesome!! Being as the Hanson chick was not touched on after she fell down into the fire, and we saw that extremis infected folks (bald dude), can survive after severe burning, i'm hoping that maybe she will return in othe MCU properties as the head of AIM. In the guise of Madame Masque.
Eh, that's stretching it a bit. I'd like to see Madame Masque, but I don't think she's Leader of AIM material. And Ellen Brandt's scars are authentic to the comics, but that's not in reference to Madame Masque: it's in reference to Man-Thing, who burned her face badly.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 05-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #761
antonydavanzo
Side-Kick

Hi all,
So I was lucky enough to go to a screening on Tues 7th that had Sir Ben come and make a lovely speech. Sir Ben lives locally so he arranged for a charity screening to help raise money for a very sick child. He spoke for about 10 min then left.
We were all given free Iron Man glasses, I managed to bag some IP glasses as well!!
This was my 4th screening of IM3 and its still a great film though I have just 1 gripe with it....I think the suits could have potentially stood up better in a fight against the extremist army at the end, they seemed a bit too disposable. Seeing as Tony was able to hold his own against Thor, it just seemed a little odd.
Cant wait till Thor!

Old 05-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #762
JangoNate
Side-Kick

Quote:
Not picking on you, specifically, as I know others have said this, but what sucked about the music? If you mean Christmas music instead of AC/DC I can understand, but the score was pretty darn good. It's the first time we've gotten a clear and powerful theme for Iron Man and the credits music was awesome. This thing has been blaring in my car since I discovered it.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #763
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JangoNate View Post
Not picking on you, specifically, as I know others have said this, but what sucked about the music? If you mean Christmas music instead of AC/DC I can understand, but the score was pretty darn good. It's the first time we've gotten a clear and powerful theme for Iron Man and the credits music was awesome. This thing has been blaring in my car since I discovered it.
Really? I thought the first movie also had some clear and powerful themes for Iron Man.

The OST in IM3 was quite good though. Not sure I like it better than IM1, but that might change in time.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Old 05-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #764
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
this movie had the best score yet!

Old 05-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #765
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
Really? I thought the first movie also had some clear and powerful themes for Iron Man.

The OST in IM3 was quite good though. Not sure I like it better than IM1, but that might change in time.
As much as I like the IM3 score (especially the end credits, which are amazing), I feel that IM1 has the superior score and theme. It's the only one of the three that has a single identifiable theme for Iron Man throughout, and it's totally badass, too.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Old 05-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #766
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compi716 View Post
As much as I like the IM3 score (especially the end credits, which are amazing), I feel that IM1 has the superior score and theme. It's the only one of the three that has a single identifiable theme for Iron Man throughout, and it's totally badass, too.
Yeah, absolutely agree. Still makes me go "**** YEAH"!

Old 05-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #767
king666
(¬‿¬)

I really enjoyed the movie. The plot twist was fine, imo, but the whole movie would be better without it. 8/10 for me

Old 05-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #768
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

I purposefully held off on reading the Extremis arc in the comics until this movie came out. My God, that was amazing. If IM3 had been a literal translation of that 6 issue story with The Mandarin pulling the strings overall, this would have been the best of the trilogy easily.

Ugh, why must directors "adapt"?

Old 05-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #769
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
What I find interesting is the amount of alleged "legit critics" who were more than likely paid side money to give this film a positive review from Marvel/Disney.

What a joke.
Do you have anything useful to say, or are you just here to troll? You already brought up your mad hat conspiracy theory, and people pretty much shot you down then.

BTW, were the critics paid to give Dark Knight Rises a fresh rating?

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Old 05-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #770
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal Spoons View Post

Ugh, why must directors "adapt"?
Because they are artists....not worker drones who are afraid to express their own idea's and themes.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #771
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post

Yeah IM1 easily had the best and most identifiable theme of the trilogy IMO. I can easily recall it and hum it. For the life of me I can not remember the IM3 score and I watched the film both Monday and yesterday.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #772
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserana View Post
Yeah IM1 easily had the best and most identifiable theme of the trilogy IMO. I can easily recall it and hum it. For the life of me I can not remember the IM3 score and I watched the film both Monday and yesterday.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
That's it! It's THE Iron Man theme for me.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #773
Whiskey Tango
#N7DAY14

Quote:
You've also had five years time to soak in the IM1 theme as compared to a few days for the most recent one.

Not trying to tell you which one you like but I think there's more going on than simply preference or identifiable qualities.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 05-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #774
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Quote:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
How anyone can claim any music in IM3 topped this is beyond my level off comprehension.

Man I knew the MCU was going places when this music played and he did that control surfaces check on the mark II and you saw all those parts opening and closing as the camera rotated around him.

Serious geek moment that was.

... Batman !!!
Old 05-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #775
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
You've also had five years time to soak in the IM1 theme as compared to a few days for the most recent one.

Not trying to tell you which one you like but I think there's more going on than simply preference or identifiable qualities.
It's funny how these arguments work - like when people walk out the theater shouting "OMG IM3 is the best Iron Man movie ever, better than the Avengers", even though it might be because it's simply newer and more fresh, but people will throw the **** at you if you question their preference. Then someone says they like the IM1 OST better, and people claim it's because we had more time to get accustomed to it.

But after all, we'll see how these things hold up in a few years time.

Closed Thread