3 2 1.64%
2 1 0.82%
1 2 1.64%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #126
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Default Re: Official rate & review IRON MAN 3 thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
I liked the movie. The christmas vibe and Shane Blackisms really reminded me of watching action films in the 90's. I can see why the film is dividing though. So many bold decisions. I however respect bold decision making in adaptations.
I meant to add that to my review. I remember thinking back to how much charm some of the late 80's, early 90's action flicks had that seems missing from today's films. Shane Black ported that over with IM3, go figure given his time with Lethal Weapon.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #127
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

...tried to vote in the poll above but it wouldn't let me.

I absolutely loved this movie. It definitely broke the "trilogy" movie curse.

10/10

Old 05-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #128
BLACKVULCAN
Token Black Superfriend

I normally dont write reviews of superhero flicks but in this case i have to. yeah i am probably a die harder, but with that being said i also am into interpretation of characters( alot of people hate the "Green arrow" show and i think it is awesome) i am always open to better establishment of character as long as it is done right! that flick sucked! when it could have been the most excellent set up to the "end all! be all" throw down of tony and his arch nemesis" the mandarin! we get some " twist! i dont know if it's of the climate of they didnt want a serious flick cause of the terrorism thing that went on. the" Pg-13 lets make money thing", ' have to be " political correct"( one must remember that dude was invented at a different time!) or whatever. the whole real mandarin thing had the greatest step up ever! he could have been just the greatest " 10 rings" dude yanking the chains of Obidiah stane to Justin hammer in the 2nd. the real dude! i was even cool if he wasnt of Asian descent( though throw an Armani suit on him being the head the organized crime Yakuza would have been awesome!) i was kind surprised when i saw the trailer with the robes actually! the whole really aint him and "the goonies" inventing &%$ from home depot!.. i feel like a chick who is expecting a limo for prom night and gets a taxi cab! i am sorry that flick left this "FAN MAN "waiting for SUPERMAN!!"
Boo this flick!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
plus how are you going to have AIM without the beekeeper uniforms on hahaha i am kidding about having that *&^

Last edited by BLACKVULCAN; 05-04-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #129
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
I meant to add that to my review. I remember thinking back to how much charm some of the late 80's, early 90's action flicks had that seems missing from today's films. Shane Black ported that over with IM3, go figure given his time with Lethal Weapon.
That's the biggest thing I noticed. He gave Tony and Rhodey have that Riggs/Murtaugh feel about them. That was alot closer to the comics than the last movie.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #130
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
I fail to see how this is truly some sort of genius deconstruction of the audience and superhero films. That sounds like the rantings of fans who want to attach genius where it doesn't belong just because they liked the movie.

Yes, the movie does make a point about corporations pulling the strings in world events...governments and terrorists being run by the same financiers. In fact, sometimes the troops on the ground (like Iron Patriot or our troops fighting overseas) are just chasing after ghosts, nowhere near the real threat and end up doing more harm than good because of the machinations of their superiors. I think that, politically speaking, it had a lot to say (and sacrificed the character of The Mandarin and didn't do any favors for War Machine to help make it).

However, this is a movie from a guy known for making fun buddy cop action films...and this played out like a fun buddy cop action film. He was doing what he felt comfortable doing, and nothing more. It wasn't addressing what the audience expects from an Iron Man film...because what we all expected was a bunch of funny one-liners and action. We got all of that...except that it didn't feel like Iron Man. I mean...if you're suggesting that the director's point was "ha ha, you expected Iron Man and I gave you Robert Downey Jr running around with a handgun" then that is far from genius, it's just him being a lazy jerk. It is not genius to have action scenes involving "deaths" of major characters that are brushed off with a few jokes in mere seconds, in contrast to how the character has reacted to other deaths and injuries in 3 previous movies (and even earlier in this same film). No, that is a result of a director not being invested in the characters himself, and not caring enough to make the moment have impact for the viewer. Shane Black didn't care about Iron Man as a character, and that does not make him a genius director, unless you're suggesting that Iron Man should not be cared about and it is better to make a movie that mocks the character.

In the end...I got exactly the movie I was expecting...except that the director seemed embarrassed to be making a movie about a guy who wears an armored suit. If he was trying to deconstruct what a hero is, then he failed. I've seen this type of hero many, many times. It's the type of hero I got bored with about 20 years ago.
Ehh, I still scratch my head when I see some guys claim this. I just don't see it. If that was Shane Blacks intention he kinda failed, and it's only seems clear amongst those who want, no NEED to think it was brilliant.

I think Shane Black just made an action movie with Tony Stark.

"Sure thing kiddo, I'll just keep pretending to put food in your mouth and clothes on your gorram back"

Last edited by Ultra Nolanite; 05-04-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #131
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Quote:
I fail to see how this is truly some sort of genius deconstruction of the audience and superhero films. That sounds like the rantings of fans who want to attach genius where it doesn't belong just because they liked the movie.

Yes, the movie does make a point about corporations pulling the strings in world events...governments and terrorists being run by the same financiers. In fact, sometimes the troops on the ground (like Iron Patriot or our troops fighting overseas) are just chasing after ghosts, nowhere near the real threat and end up doing more harm than good because of the machinations of their superiors. I think that, politically speaking, it had a lot to say (and sacrificed the character of The Mandarin and didn't do any favors for War Machine to help make it).

However, this is a movie from a guy known for making fun buddy cop action films...and this played out like a fun buddy cop action film. He was doing what he felt comfortable doing, and nothing more. It wasn't addressing what the audience expects from an Iron Man film...because what we all expected was a bunch of funny one-liners and action. We got all of that...except that it didn't feel like Iron Man. I mean...if you're suggesting that the director's point was "ha ha, you expected Iron Man and I gave you Robert Downey Jr running around with a handgun" then that is far from genius, it's just him being a lazy jerk. It is not genius to have action scenes involving "deaths" of major characters that are brushed off with a few jokes in mere seconds, in contrast to how the character has reacted to other deaths and injuries in 3 previous movies (and even earlier in this same film). No, that is a result of a director not being invested in the characters himself, and not caring enough to make the moment have impact for the viewer. Shane Black didn't care about Iron Man as a character, and that does not make him a genius director, unless you're suggesting that Iron Man should not be cared about and it is better to make a movie that mocks the character.

In the end...I got exactly the movie I was expecting...except that the director seemed embarrassed to be making a movie about a guy who wears an armored suit. If he was trying to deconstruct what a hero is, then he failed. I've seen this type of hero many, many times. It's the type of hero I got bored with about 20 years ago.
Not sure how this movie mocks the character. You guys just aren't understanding the humor stuff. Tony Stark uses it as an obvious defense mechanism to deflect attention away from his personal struggles. They modeled him a bit on Howard Hughes. A brilliant eccentric that really can't handle the ordinary pressures of daily life. Both dealing with mental health issues. A guy that has to be working, inventing, or innovating...something. They did deconstruct the hero in this and I'm not sure what other character compares. Tony has nearly reached the apex of what he can do as an engineer. I think this made Tony a little crazy and isolated.

Prof. X sittin' on Adamantium wheelchair rims, reading your stupid minds & laughing at your hair.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #132
NJCaliboi
Side-Kick

I went in as SHIELDED as one could be from spoilers with zero expectations and left very satisfied. I would have been pissed at the revelation of the Mandirian but I was too busy laughing to be pissed. After my second viewing I know I'll be way more critical and find a list of new things to nitpick at but my initial reaction is very favorable. I laughed, I was entertained, I was amused and more importantly it left me with a good feeling, well sort of.... Had I not waited for the scene after the credits I would have left more satisfied.

8+ / 10

Old 05-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #133
Heretic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMariachi View Post
Not sure how this movie mocks the character. You guys just aren't understanding the humor stuff. Tony Stark uses it as an obvious defense mechanism to deflect attention away from his personal struggles. They modeled him a bit on Howard Hughes. A brilliant eccentric that really can't handle the ordinary pressures of daily life. Both dealing with mental health issues. A guy that has to be working, inventing, or innovating...something. They did deconstruct the hero in this and I'm not sure what other character compares. Tony has nearly reached the apex of what he can do as an engineer. I think this made Tony a little crazy and isolated.
You mean the humor of Tony Stark after Happy got injured? Oh wait...he was serious then. Maybe after Coulson died in Avengers? No...no...

Oh, you mean the humor after he thought he failed at the one thing he said meant the most to him in the world.

You can't just throw out the word "deconstruct" as a replacement for lazy writing that is not true to the character.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #134
divan
Side-Kick

Quote:
You mean the humor of Tony Stark after Happy got injured? Oh wait...he was serious then. Maybe after Coulson died in Avengers? No...no...

Oh, you mean the humor after he thought he failed at the one thing he said meant the most to him in the world.

You can't just throw out the word "deconstruct" as a replacement for lazy writing that is not true to the character.
The deconstruction is about The Mandarin's presentation, nothing to do with the humour.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #135
Heretic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by divan View Post
The deconstruction is about The Mandarin's presentation, nothing to do with the humour.
ElMariachi said " They did deconstruct the hero in this"

So, it appears that the defenders of this movie can't get on the same page about what is being deconstructed.

And making Iron Man's arch enemy a bumbling, drunken buffoon that is a comedic riff off of a reveal we've already seen in other superhero movies is not deconstruction. Flat out, it's just a director not caring enough to make a movie with weight.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #136
drod1985
Side-Kick

Default Re: Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread. - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
My biggest gripe (...) is the fact that Tony Stark had the shrapnel removed from his vein at the end of the movie. I think it completely trivialized Stark's predicament in IM2, when he was being poisoned by the arc reactor in his chest and was in a life-or-death situation. If the procedure was that easy, wouldn't he had done it earlier and save himself all those trouble? I also love the Arc Reactor on his chest, because it reminds him of his experience back as a POW, and the removal of it seemed to made Stark less tragic. I wonder if Favearu ever tried to talk Shane Black out of shooting that scene, because I believe Black probably did it on his own. For this, I have to subtract a whole point from my score.

I'd give IM3 a 8.5 out of 10, and rate it behind Avengers and IM1.
Hit the nail on the head here. My sentiments exactly. The only thing I would dislike more than this is if they try to reverse it in a future movie. What's done is done...

Old 05-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #137
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Quote:

What humor after Happy got injured? He was pretty angry after leaving the hospital. He then makes an angry threat to kill the Mandarin and goes full on detective to track him down before having his house blown up. What humor after he doesn't save Pepper? I don't recall Tony being in a jovial mood when he is throwing down with Killian.

What you consider lazy writing is actually bold writing. You would prefer Tony to be a stereotypical superhero that screams, "NOOOOOO!", broods, and beserks like Wolverine. I have seen this melodrama in every superhero movie and am glad that Tony is set apart from it.

Prof. X sittin' on Adamantium wheelchair rims, reading your stupid minds & laughing at your hair.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #138
Immortalfire
The Dreamy Mod
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
...tried to vote in the poll above but it wouldn't let me.
Same here, bro. I got "this poll is closed" and I'm like, "Bullhuckey!"

Old 05-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #139
Heretic
Side-Kick

Quote:
What humor after Happy got injured? He was pretty angry after leaving the hospital. He then makes an angry threat to kill the Mandarin and goes full on detective to track him down before having his house blown up. What humor after he doesn't save Pepper? I don't recall Tony being in a jovial mood when he is throwing down with Killian.

What you consider lazy writing is actually bold writing. You would prefer Tony to be a stereotypical superhero that screams, "NOOOOOO!", broods, and beserks like Wolverine. I have seen this melodrama in every superhero movie and am glad that Tony is set apart from it.
As I mentioned in my comment that you were responding to...YES...Stark was angry and making threats after seeing Hogan close to death. But he was making wise cracks after the Pepper scene, and you (I think was you) suggested that is because that's how he reacts to death...and...um...no it isn't. It was just how he reacted at that moment because the movie REFUSED to take the action scenes seriously. What I want is to see a character that is consistent.

Nothing got deconstructed here. It's just a movie that thinks its a buddy cop action comedy and seems to not want to be about Iron Man.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #140
divan
Side-Kick

Quote:

So, it appears that the defenders of this movie can't get on the same page about what is being deconstructed.
A logical fallacy. The only your phrase shows is that people who appreciated the movie liked it for several reasons, as oppossed to most haters who limit themselves to repeat the same 'flaws' over and over like sheep.

Quote:
And making Iron Man's arch enemy a bumbling, drunken buffoon that is a comedic riff off of a reveal we've already seen in other superhero movies is not deconstruction. Flat out, it's just a director not caring enough to make a movie with weight.
How about stopping to talk like if your opinions were made of gold while the others' were crap? Because, frankly, you're embarrasing yourself.

Some of us thought it was an interesting deconstruction of the concept of the Supervillian. First of all, this has nothing to do with Batman Begins and if you truly think it's the same twist just stop talking about the movie because it's obvious you were in the bathroom during most part of it. In Begins, Ra's had his decoy to 'simulate' some kind of legendary inmortality, which is great but has nothing to do with The Mandarin. As opposed to a decoy, The Mandarin was Killian's (and the world's, and the audience's) idea of a Supervillain: gradiose, jarring, sophisticated and, specially, not subtle. Killian knew that in the MCU, after the events of New York, a silly looking villain would be seen as a very credible thread, much like in most Superhero movies. He deliverately exploited the conventions of the genre to work in his plan. That's the deconstruction. The classical Supervillain being a non-existent, fictional character and an invention of a different, much more subtle (until the third act) villain is the deconstruction.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #141
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by divan View Post
As opposed to a decoy, The Mandarin was Killian's (and the world's, and the audience's) idea of a Supervillain: gradiose, jarring, sophisticated and, specially, not subtle. Killian knew that in the MCU, after the events of New York, a silly looking villain would be seen as a very credible thread, much like in most Superhero movies. He deliverately exploited the conventions of the genre to work in his plan. That's the deconstruction. The classical Supervillain being a non-existent, fictional character and an invention of a different, much more subtle (until the third act) villain is the deconstruction.
Right.

Killian tied the whole "no subtlety" thing with his Thor reference.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #142
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Quote:

What aren't you getting about the plot? Iron Man's archenemy wasn't a drunken buffoon. He was a charming, brilliant scientist/martial artist that created the biggest non-Avengers threat in the MCU. A true foil for Tony Stark.

I am not trying to be rude but I think many people are too young or biased to understand what they are seeing in these movies. This movie (and franchise) deconstructed the superhero. Making the main character a celebrity with his own borderline mental health/personality issues. Taking place in 21st century America where the 'bad guy' isn't easily defined. You want brooding and melodrama. They went in the complete opposite direction by making the hero egotistical and one who copes with problems differently than screaming, punching people in the face, or crying to an old lady.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #143
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Starting to get the feeling this flick flew over a lot of peoples heads.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 05-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #144
Heretic
Side-Kick

It isn't a logical fallacy...you claim that it was not a deconstruction of the superhero...ElMariachi claims that it is. You are at odds with him on that.

And what you just said was not a deconstruction of the supervillain...it was political commentary. You went on and on about how Batman Begins and Iron Man 3 did not tell the exact same story...when all I was talking about was the reveal gag. I find it funny that you think this was supervillain deconstruction when Killian ended up being a one-note carbon copy supervillain we've seen a thousand times. Yeah, he was a villain that didn't want to get caught and preferred to profit off of his villainy...real original. You may want to read more into it than that, but I see nothing about this film that leads me to think that the director respects the genre enough to make this more than a Lethal Weapon sequel.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #145
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
What aren't you getting about the plot? Iron Man's archenemy wasn't a drunken buffoon. He was a charming, brilliant scientist/martial artist that created the biggest non-Avengers threat in the MCU. A true foil for Tony Stark.

I am not trying to be rude but I think many people are too young or biased to understand what they are seeing in these movies. This movie (and franchise) deconstructed the superhero. Making the main character a celebrity with his own borderline mental health/personality issues. Taking place in 21st century America where the 'bad guy' isn't easily defined. You want brooding and melodrama. They went in the complete opposite direction by making the hero egotistical and one who copes with problems differently than screaming, punching people in the face, or crying to an old lady.
Exactly.
As Killian declared in the end: "I'm AM Mandarin!" He is the real villain in IM3, not the fake actor who wore robes and acted like Bin Laden for the world to hate and focus on. And while the U.S. was focusing their resources on capturing this make-believe villain, Killian was doing all the work in the background, and that was why he was able to kidnap the President and nearly succeed in executing him on the big screen. People are just too fixtated on Kingsley's Mandarin and fail to see what this movie is trying to deconstruct.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 05-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #146
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Default Re: Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread. - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
That's suspension-of-disbelief due to in-universe logic, not "realism."

Not that I think "realism" should be held up so high on the pedestal of standards that some fans place it upon.
I disagree since I think that the Dark Knight Saga tries to make things more realistic and therefor it's in-universe logic gets combined with expectations from how things work in the real world. I mention Iron Man as I don't think that movie suffers from that because it establishes it's own logic better in the sense of containing comic elements.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #147
Heretic
Side-Kick

Quote:

I'm not that young or biased. I'm also not wanting melodrama or brooding from an Iron Man movie.

But when I say arch villain, I was talking about the fact that The Mandarin is Iron Man's arch villain in other media...obviously not so much in this genius deconstruction.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #148
Marvel
Side-Kick

Checking out general movie sites, trolls are trolls but other than that from what I've read, the negativity is a small minority but it's a VERY vocal minority and I understand it. Some comic book fans will be agitated by how they crammed what was really three different storylines in to one film. (Mandarin, Extremis, Five Nightmares.) Other non-fans may have expected all armor action and wall to wall Avengers adventure. Personally, I enjoyed what they delivered because the focus was on a Tony Stark character study. To me, that's the best part of the books and what they got oh so right.

Tony Stark is the true weapon, not Iron Man. His mind, wit and courage are what has made the character special over the years just as much as the cool tech and armors he makes. Again, this movie goes out of its way to illustrate that brilliantly.
Tony kicking ass after a trip to the hardware store using household items and Christmas bulbs was just one example that I loved! I also loved how he took out the two Extremis soldiers with no armor.

I loved the witty dialogue, humor and RDJ's performance. The finale was exceptional. Pepper was used well and Killian was superb.

What I didn't like was the use of the rest of the supporting cast.
Maya Hansen really was wasted and not fleshed out at all. The Mandarin, well that's been talked about to death. I also thought they wasted Rhodey.

I didn't like was how easy Rhodey was taken down. An Extremis chick burns his arm and he falls over??? What? Next we see him he's hanging up (with power?) being worked over by Killian's goons??? That's lame.

A few hang ups aside, this really was a bold and fresh take on Iron Man that played out very well. Again, a character study or character exploration first and a superhero movie second. It also rounds out the trilogy nicely and points him toward Stark Tower and NYC and Avengers 2...

Old 05-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #149
Heretic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Exactly.
As Killian declared in the end: "I'm AM Mandarin!" He is the real villain in IM3, not the fake actor who wore robes and acted like Bin Laden for the world to hate and focus on. And while the U.S. was focusing their resources on capturing this make-believe villain, Killian was doing all the work in the background, and that was why he was able to kidnap the President and nearly succeed in executing him on the big screen. People are just too fixtated on Kingsley's Mandarin and fail to see what this movie is trying to deconstruct.
When he yelled that, I took it the same as I took every other villain in movie history who made that big statement in cheesy, poorly written action movies. I see no reason to see it as anything more. It seemed to be like a cartoon explanation for any idiots out there who hadn't grasped it yet.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #150
divan
Side-Kick

Quote:
It isn't a logical fallacy...you claim that it was not a deconstruction of the superhero...ElMariachi claims that it is. You are at odds with him on that.

And what you just said was not a deconstruction of the supervillain...it was political commentary. You went on and on about how Batman Begins and Iron Man 3 did not tell the exact same story...when all I was talking about was the reveal gag. I find it funny that you think this was supervillain deconstruction when Killian ended up being a one-note carbon copy supervillain we've seen a thousand times. Yeah, he was a villain that didn't want to get caught and preferred to profit off of his villainy...real original. You may want to read more into it than that, but I see nothing about this film that leads me to think that the director respects the genre enough to make this more than a Lethal Weapon sequel.
One more time... The deconstruction is exploiting the conventions of a genre (in this case, how Superhero universes work) instead of playing them straight. Yeah, Killian was a straight Supervillain in the final act. He wasn't in the first two.

It's maybe a political commentary too, but the reason I'm saying it's a deconstruction it's because it specifically plays with the genre's tropes, it takes them apart instead of presenting them as they always were.

Closed Thread