The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Best 3rd movie in a CBM so far?
Superman III 0 0%
Batman Forever 2 1.57%
The Crow: Salvation 1 0.79%
Blade: Trinity 0 0%
X-Men: The Last Stand 1 0.79%
Spiderman 3 2 1.57%
Transformers: Dark Of The Moon 0 0%
The Dark Knight Rises 78 61.42%
Iron Man 3 43 33.86%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #101
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

Because it was, and possibly still is, the perfect X-Men film.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #102
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Because it was, and possibly still is, the perfect X-Men film.
And yet little happened in it and the mutant as an outcast angle was almost entirely lost.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #103
Snow Queen
Side-Kick
 
Snow Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,596
Default Re: Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

The Dark Knight Rises
Iron Man 3
Batman Forever

...and I can't stand any of the others. The only one in there that really gets me mad though is X3. I really loved Rogue in the previous films and was so disappointed that they completely went back on her character arc by having her take the cure.

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #104
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
The Dark Knight Rises
Iron Man 3
Batman Forever

...and I can't stand any of the others. The only one in there that really gets me mad though is X3. I really loved Rogue in the previous films and was so disappointed that they completely went back on her character arc by having her take the cure.
But she was never really happy with having a boyfriend she cannot touch (but any other girl can).

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #105
Snow Queen
Side-Kick
 
Snow Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,596
Default Re: Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Morose View Post
But she was never really happy with having a boyfriend she cannot touch (but any other girl can).
Her character arc throughout the films was learning to come to terms with that. Sure, be tempted by the cure, that makes sense, but it goes against how she's developed in previous films.

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #106
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
Her character arc throughout the films was learning to come to terms with that. Sure, be tempted by the cure, that makes sense, but it goes against how she's developed in previous films.
Coming to terms is not just a one-way street. I understand what you say and I was sure they were going to follow the usual route: heroes learn to live with their uniqueness. But Rogue was always described as a teenager and they don't accept what they are easily, specially if that means eternal isolation. I thought for once these movies didn't follow the classic way and went the way a real rogue would have taken. And I'm glad it's being discussed.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #107
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Morose View Post
And yet little happened in it and the mutant as an outcast angle was almost entirely lost.
And yet it was, and possibly still is, the best X-Men film.

Who cares if some angle was lost out in X2. It was about both sides teaming up for a single cause where Magneto's true colors were then shown.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #108
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!
 
Doc Ock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oklahoma, US
Posts: 8,077
Default Re: Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post



Yah, I'd take the film that had more Cyclops
Indeed!

Wait, that makes me sad now.

__________________
Hail HydraSinestro!
The Winter Soldier - 9/10 | The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 6.5/10 | Days of Future Past - 9/10 | TMNT - ???? | Guardians of the Galaxy - 10/10
Doc Ock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #109
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue
 
Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8,991
Default Re: Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

My favorite of the X films (so far) is X2.Everyone gets their time to shine.(Yeah,Cyclops a little less than the rest. ) But the whole thing builds to that great "Wrath of Khan" ending.And I love Nightcrawler!At least one Superhero is allowed to display his Faith and Beliefs unabashedly in this cynical age.

Human Torch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #110
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
And yet it was, and possibly still is, the best X-Men film.

Who cares if some angle was lost out in X2. It was about both sides teaming up for a single cause where Magneto's true colors were then shown.
For the same reason I could say X3 is better because not only the most important angle in the X-Men concept is there again, but it's also questioned. In X-Men 1 Magneto claimed mutation was the next step in evolution while Xavier said both mutants and non-mutants can live together. In X2 nothing happened about it because all that matters was that villain that was to be fought. But in X3 mutation is being re-defined as a disease since they have a "cue" for it.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #111
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
Indeed!

Wait, that makes me sad now.
That Cyclops died or that he was cheapened in X3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
My favorite of the X films (so far) is X2.Everyone gets their time to shine.(Yeah,Cyclops a little less than the rest. ) But the whole thing builds to that great "Wrath of Khan" ending.And I love Nightcrawler!At least one Superhero is allowed to display his Faith and Beliefs unabashedly in this cynical age.
All great reasons why X2: X-Men United is the better film of that trilogy. Personally, I would give X-Men: First Class a higher grade over all the X-Men films, but for that specific trilogy, X2 wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Morose View Post
For the same reason I could say X3 is better because not only the most important angle in the X-Men concept is there again, but it's also questioned. In X-Men 1 Magneto claimed mutation was the next step in evolution while Xavier said both mutants and non-mutants can live together. In X2 nothing happened about it because all that matters was that villain that was to be fought. But in X3 mutation is being re-defined as a disease since they have a "cue" for it.
So you'd give X3 the nod just because it goes back to that outcast angle even when it's short, simple and cheap?

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #112
Snow Queen
Side-Kick
 
Snow Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,596
Default Re: Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

I think what irritates me the most about X3 is that there are GREAT ideas in there. The cure needed more time, as did the Dark Phoenix parts.

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #113
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
I think what irritates me the most about X3 is that there are GREAT ideas in there. The cure needed more time, as did the Dark Phoenix parts.
Agree x 1,000

X-Men: The Last Stand had some great ideas and great potential. There being a cure for mutants, the Dark Phoenix story arc, even Magneto creating a massive army. All great potential.

It's just when they kill Cyclops off so easily, ruin Professor X in one film, screw up Juggernaut, make quick haste on every one of the film's arcs....just a disaster of a film amongst many 3rd CBM disaster installments.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #114
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
So you'd give X3 the nod just because it goes back to that outcast angle even when it's short, simple and cheap?
Far from it, it expanded it beyond the simple, mutant = discriminated minorities. There was a political angle in which a condition that could be considered just different is re-defined. Having a "cure" allows society to re-define mutation as a "disease." Far more brilliant than the average good guys vs bad guys approach from X2, filled with characters that evolve nothing or really slow until the very end.

I'll agree with Gotham's Knight, though, in that it needed more time.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #115
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: X-Mansion and the Baxter Building
Posts: 19,416
Default Re: Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

I think if they minimized the amount of *characters* that were in the movie, it would have been so much better. Sure it was cool and interesting to see many mutants in 1 movie but if you don't give them much role or importance, then its really not good.

With the Brotherhood, I wouldn't include Omega Kid, Arclight, Psylocke and Multiple Man. I would just focus on Magneto, Jean, Callisto, Mystique, Pyro and Juggernaut and I would give them more things to do especially Juggernaut.

Then for the X-Men, I would include Angel in the battle as one of the X-Men, I would give Colossus more lines and importance in the team, Cyclops will be in the movie until the climax of the film and even if Rogue takes the cure, I would give her action scene first like in the Danger Room session.

I also wouldn't include Trask in the movie and I would stay true to the physical appearance of Leach in the comics. Plus the movie should have been at least 2hrs/30mins, especially with all the things that were happening in the movie, they should have developed the characters more.

__________________
X-MEN RI5E' MUTANT OF THE MONTH | JEAN GREY | PORTRAYED BY FAMKE JANNSEN
"All kind of things." - X1
"This is the only way" - X2
"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #116
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Morose View Post
Far from it, it expanded it beyond the simple, mutant = discriminated minorities. There was a political angle in which a condition that could be considered just different is re-defined. Having a "cure" allows society to re-define mutation as a "disease." Far more brilliant than the average good guys vs bad guys approach from X2, filled with characters that evolve nothing or really slow until the very end.
Adding a political angle doesn't make it any better. Hell, it had a political angle from the start in the first film. X3 was just trying to copy what the first film pulled and added the cure idea, and like I said, made it all short and sweet.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #117
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Adding a political angle doesn't make it any better. Hell, it had a political angle from the start in the first film. X3 was just trying to copy what the first film pulled and added the cure idea, and like I said, made it all short and sweet.
It does make it better when it's not just re-cycling the very same ideas but a great twist in the concept, treating mutation as a disease indirectly.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #118
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I think if they minimized the amount of *characters* that were in the movie, it would have been so much better. Sure it was cool and interesting to see many mutants in 1 movie but if you don't give them much role or importance, then its really not good.

With the Brotherhood, I wouldn't include Omega Kid, Arclight, Psylocke and Multiple Man. I would just focus on Magneto, Jean, Callisto, Mystique, Pyro and Juggernaut and I would give them more things to do especially Juggernaut.

Then for the X-Men, I would include Angel in the battle as one of the X-Men, I would give Colossus more lines and importance in the team, Cyclops will be in the movie until the climax of the film and even if Rogue takes the cure, I would give her action scene first like in the Danger Room session.

I also wouldn't include Trask in the movie and I would stay true to the physical appearance of Leach in the comics. Plus the movie should have been at least 2hrs/30mins, especially with all the things that were happening in the movie, they should have developed the characters more.
I sorta agree. For the Brotherhood, I would have actually used Psylocke, but take out Juggernaut(for he was used in such an atrocious manner). And with the X-Men, I would have had Angel join the team once he arrive at the X-Mansion, as well as keeping Cyclops as you mentioned as well, and perhaps he tries to stop Dark Phoenix first, but he dies, so it's then up to Wolverine to stop her. Keep Rogue, and only have her take the cure in the very end, have more badass scenes with Colossus and Iceman and give Kitty Pryde something better to do as well. Beast and Storm were fine in their roles, imo.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #119
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Morose View Post
It does make it better when it's not just re-cycling the very same ideas but a great twist in the concept, treating mutation as a disease indirectly.
Actually it doesn't make it any better when it's a joke of an arc that could've been so much better. Sorry, but I don't give anything credit when it goes by wayyyy too quickly to feel different.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #120
Snow Queen
Side-Kick
 
Snow Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,596
Default Re: Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

I actually think that the cure was the perfect story for X3. It was the opposite of Magneto trying to make everyone mutants with the government trying to make them human. It's just....there are so many plots, more than X1, but it has the same runtime as the first X-Men. This was a movie that needed at least 2:20-2:30, not 1:44. Also, the whole killing Xavier and then having him come back in another body irritates me. If he's not going to die, don't do it.

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:40 PM   #121
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
I actually think that the cure was the perfect story for X3. It was the opposite of Magneto trying to make everyone mutants with the government trying to make them human. It's just....there are so many plots, more than X1, but it has the same runtime as the first X-Men. This was a movie that needed at least 2:20-2:30, not 1:44. Also, the whole killing Xavier and then having him come back in another body irritates me. If he's not going to die, don't do it.
The cure angle could have been so much more, and could've had made me become invested. But it's just there and there's nothing to really question about it, not only that, but Rogue takes it and it's like "Well, who the **** cares", lol.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #122
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Actually it doesn't make it any better when it's a joke of an arc that could've been so much better. Sorry, but I don't give anything credit when it goes by wayyyy too quickly to feel different.
Far from a joke it's the spine of the story, what starts the action and keeps it moving and what can re-define not only in the characters minds but also in the audience what mutation is and how to take a minority in terms of their differences. And that's far better than any X2 did.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
The cure angle could have been so much more, and could've had made me become invested. But it's just there and there's nothing to really question about it, not only that, but Rogue takes it and it's like "Well, who the **** cares", lol.
There's everything to question about it. It's there and it's what gives Magneto the ideal speech to attack humans before they are extinct. It also starts this war for survival. Much much meatier than anything in X2, once again.

And again, far from lol, we see the whole problem Rogue is facing as a teenager and then she takes the decision the average superhero movie would have avoided like hell. Unlike Jean in X2 who died only to be revived 5 minutes later.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #123
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Morose View Post
Far from a joke it's the spine of the story, what starts the action and keeps it moving and what can re-define not only in the characters minds but also in the audience what mutation is and how to take a minority in terms of their differences. And that's far better than any X2 did.
Even as the "spine" of the story, it went by too fast to care. And so, I didn't care about it, lol.

Quote:
There's everything to question about it. It's there and it's what gives Magneto the ideal speech to attack humans before they are extinct. It also starts this war for survival. Much much meatier than anything in X2, once again.
It gave Magneto more ammo, but nothing more. Magneto was already wanting to go into war with humans, but now for more causes than before.

Quote:
And again, far from lol, we see the whole problem Rogue is facing as a teenager and then she takes the decision the average superhero movie would have avoided like hell. Unlike Jean in X2 who died only to be revived 5 minutes later.
5 minutes in film's time, I guess, lol. If Rogue waited until the end and we see her contemplating throughout, then that would've been exceedingly better. I don't even remember Rogue mentioning the idea to Bobby even.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #124
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Even as the "spine" of the story, it went by too fast to care. And so, I didn't care about it, lol.
Oh, my lol friend, far from it. It was there during the whole movie. The spine of the story in X2, on the other hand, was Wolverine going to look for his past. After two hours and so... nothing happened with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
It gave Magneto more ammo, but nothing more. Magneto was already wanting to go into war with humans, but now for more causes than before.
It gave Magneto new followers too and it did because it had a new way to put a perspective into his plans. Now it's not just one senator, it's a whole re-definition of what they are, and a re-definition that suggests they should be, as any other disease, eliminated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
5 minutes in film's time, I guess, lol. If Rogue waited until the end and we see her contemplating throughout, then that would've been exceedingly better. I don't even remember Rogue mentioning the idea to Bobby even.
Probably because the relationship between her and Bobby (and the problems of its) was properly developed during the film. One relationship that went nowhere, on the other hand, was that of Wolverine and Jane in X2, lol.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #125
Snow Queen
Side-Kick
 
Snow Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,596
Default Re: Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

I believe I remember that she did mention it. I just watched it again recently (I get a kick out of seeing my neighbourhood in it) and I seem to remember her bringing it up to him at least in passing.

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.