The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

View Poll Results: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...
Love it! 92 36.51%
It's okay... 56 22.22%
Hate it! 104 41.27%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #301
ferpuerto17
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

From Director Shane Black

"What if he’s sort of this all-things-to-all-people uber-terrorist? What if he is the myth, and in the end that is what we’re dealing with, a created myth that [a research group] has perpetuated and cobbled together using elements from popular consciousness. It felt like it said more about the world we live in than just having [Iron Man] fight another terrorist, as opposed to putting a spin on it that said something about the way we view terror, perhaps."

Like I said before, Killian was not the Mandarin

Old 05-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #302
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferpuerto17 View Post
From Director Shane Black

"What if he’s sort of this all-things-to-all-people uber-terrorist? What if he is the myth, and in the end that is what we’re dealing with, a created myth that [a research group] has perpetuated and cobbled together using elements from popular consciousness. It felt like it said more about the world we live in than just having [Iron Man] fight another terrorist, as opposed to putting a spin on it that said something about the way we view terror, perhaps."

Like I said before, Killian was not the Mandarin
Shane Black is talking about Fake Mandarin there, i.e., Trevor Slattery.

Killian is still The True Mandarin.

*Edit: And here it is in black and white, for those of you still in denial:

Quote:
In Iron Man 3, the character gets to go full on Big Bad. “Ultimately we do give you the Mandarin, the real guy, but it’s Guy Pearce in the end with the big dragon tattooed on his chest,” Black says. “He says, ‘You don’t understand, I’ve been this guy since I was born. I’ve been embodying him in this [actor] that I’ve had proxying for me, but it’s really me.’
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/05/0...rin-spoiler/3/

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014

Last edited by cherokeesam; 05-10-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #303
-JKR-
Side-Kick

For whoever still thinks Aldrich Killian isn't The Mandarin:

Quote:
It’s not that The Mandarin isn’t in the movie — it’s just that he’s not the character you think he is, which leads to one of the most unexpected twists in the mythology of any recent superhero saga. Instead we find out that Guy Pearce’s scientist-entrepreneur Aldrich Killian is the true mastermind, although in the Extremis graphic novel, he is merely a desperate scientist who commits suicide after selling the formula to a domestic terror group.
In Iron Man 3, the character gets to go full on Big Bad. “Ultimately we do give you the Mandarin, the real guy, but it’s Guy Pearce in the end with the big dragon tattooed on his chest,” Black says. “He says, ‘You don’t understand, I’ve been this guy since I was born. I’ve been embodying him in this [actor] that I’ve had proxying for me, but it’s really me.’”

Old 05-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #304
TyrionLannister
Side-Kick

Anyone think...

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I might be way off but does anyone else think the way the Mandarin/Trevor says "I didn't tell him anything." and "...No" when questioned by Savin is interesting. And then goes back to his goofy self when saying he "panicked but handeld it." He just seems almost to know what he's doing and perhaps there is even more to him than meets the eye, if you know what i mean. And that maybe we haven't seen the last of him. I doubt it but just thought it was a little odd.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #305
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JKR- View Post
For whoever still thinks Aldrich Killian isn't The Mandarin:

Add to that the following from the same article:
Quote:
“A lot of this movie is about characters going back into the shadows for various reasons and characters who have been in the shadows coming out and into the light for the first time,” Feige says. “It is Tony who, for various reasons, finds himself receding into the darkness. I don’t mean emotional darkness, I mean literally ducking out of the spotlight. And we’ll see other characters stepping up who have pulled strings from the background, starting to show their hand.”

Old 05-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #306
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
I'm not suggesting that at all. On the contrary, I'm saying when changes work, then they're acceptable, just like anything in the comics. Hence, the Wolverine reference, because yes, while he physically is different, Jackman does the role justice, so it works and all is well with the world. Just like the Joker wearing makeup, or any other number of changes. This particular one, IMO, didn't work on any level. But that's just me.

On a side note however, I do think Crimson Dynamo would've worked just fine for IM2, instead of some sort of combination with Whiplash.
The problem with Crimsom Dynamo is that visually he's similar to Iron Monger. So they went with Whiplash who looks more unique, but has no character to speak of. So we end up with a hybrid.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #307
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
In Iron Man 3, the character gets to go full on Big Bad. “Ultimately we do give you the Mandarin, the real guy, but it’s Guy Pearce in the end with the big dragon tattooed on his chest,” Black says. “He says, ‘You don’t understand, I’ve been this guy since I was born. I’ve been embodying him in this [actor] that I’ve had proxying for me, but it’s really me.’

Screen writing 101 - Show don't tell.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #308
signifyingmnky
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
They did that. The only reason they're even commenting on it is because of the complaints from people who are unable to accept Pearce in the role.

It's kind of like The Usual Suspects. No one wants to accept that Spacey's the guy until he starts walking straight.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #309
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
The problem with Crimsom Dynamo is that visually he's similar to Iron Monger. So they went with Whiplash who looks more unique, but has no character to speak of. So we end up with a hybrid.
That was my thought, and they made Justin Hammer younger than his comics counter part, because he could have been viewed as another "Stane".

There is a cut scene with Whiplash where he didn't even use the final costume. He walks up to the Expo in civilian clothing and captures pepper. he has a smaller version of his whips, that he hides in his jacket.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #310
sdc10
Side-Kick

Quote:
The guy had dragon tattoos and even said "I am the Mandarin"

I think they showed it pretty well, anyone who says "well he didnt mean it literally" is blinded by their own interpretation.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #311
TomPiltoff
you are all diseased

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdc10 View Post
I think they showed it pretty well, anyone who says "well he didnt mean it literally" is blinded by their own interpretation.
Blinded by their own interpretation? What does that even mean?

This is like watching people argue over whether or not Judge Dredd is the literal physical embodiment of the law.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #312
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
The guy had dragon tattoos and even said "I am the Mandarin"

He's literally TELLING you he is the Mandarin. Ha ha! I'm actually struggling to recall a villain who TELLS you who they are. Scratch that, doesn't Ra's tell you he is Ra's? That was just as clunky if you ask me.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #313
sdc10
Side-Kick

edited out

Old 05-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #314
sdc10
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPiltoff View Post
Blinded by their own interpretation? What does that even mean?

This is like watching people argue over whether or not Judge Dredd is the literal physical embodiment of the law.
What I meant was that some people who didnt like the Killian Mandarin idea will come up with any reason to try to explain why he wasnt the true mandarin, when in fact he was

Old 05-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #315
TMaresca84

Hey figure i would add this to the descusion. I got the art of iron man 3 early this week (ill try to post pictures latter if people want) and within the mandarin section you can see how the character evolved.

The first 3 desgins are of a white man (killin but before perice was picked) with the dragon tattos and trevors hair. He also has trevors robes and rings. Another cool piece was the last of the 3 had a terbin covering his face. it seems that killin at the start was both like sidious in star wars. The reveal would come at the end witht he unmasking of the terbin.

The next page has more desgins of the mandarin, but with the likness of ben kingsley, every desgin awesome. These are stright up mandarin. one desgin has the classic sliver armor fromt he comics standing behind him and another desgin even has the 90's head dress.

after these pictures we are borught to killien and are shown the various desgins for his tattoos.

this is my two cents but it seems they had one chracter then seperated them. Then after seperating them, put them back togther but left the two actors. This gave birth to trevor. so again it seems killian was the mandarin from the start but then to make us happy we were given trevor, in favor of getting the classic mandarin look

Old 05-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #316
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
He's literally TELLING you he is the Mandarin. Ha ha! I'm actually struggling to recall a villain who TELLS you who they are. Scratch that, doesn't Ra's tell you he is Ra's? That was just as clunky if you ask me.
Ra's did say who he was, but in a more roundabout kinda way. Talia in TDKR, however, very much told you who she was.

Last edited by Travesty; 05-10-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #317
TomPiltoff
you are all diseased

Quote:
What I meant was that some people who didnt like the Killian Mandarin idea will come up with any reason to try to explain why he wasnt the true mandarin, when in fact he was
It depends on how you mean. Anybody suggesting that there's a Mandarin along the lines of what we expected is being silly, it's just not there.

But it seems pretty clear to me that there really is no Mandarin. Killian was the brains and the willpower, Kingsley was the public face, but there is no singular character that embodies The Mandarin in terms of what we expected. If people are so wedded to the idea of 'but Iron Man fights The Mandarin! that's how it has to be!', whatever, let them tie themselves in knots just to satisfy their need to have a character called The Mandarin.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #318
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa "T" View Post
Ken Wantanbe for Mandarin in Avengers 2!
Give it a rest, you freaking troll.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #319
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
He's telling Tony that he's the Mandarin because he's telling him how his plan has fooled everyone (the identity is a big part of that), and villains very often talk about what they have done because they want the hero to know before he dies. Stane tells Tony how he was the one behind the hit and the lock out of the company, Loki tells Thor why he did what he did, etc.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #320
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPiltoff View Post
But it seems pretty clear to me that there really is no Mandarin. Killian was the brains and the willpower, Kingsley was the public face, but there is no singular character that embodies The Mandarin in terms of what we expected. If people are so wedded to the idea of 'but Iron Man fights The Mandarin! that's how it has to be!', whatever, let them tie themselves in knots just to satisfy their need to have a character called The Mandarin.
You are unequivocally mistaken. Shane Black and Kevin Feige are pretty clear that there IS a Mandarin character in IM3, but that he's Guy Pearce, not Sir Ben Kingsley; they even go so far to have Pearce point it out to the audience - and Tony - in dialogue, as others have already noted.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #321
TomPiltoff
you are all diseased

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
You are unequivocally mistaken. Shane Black and Kevin Feige are pretty clear that there IS a Mandarin character in IM3, but that he's Guy Pearce, not Sir Ben Kingsley; they even go so far to have Pearce point it out to the audience - and Tony - in dialogue, as others have already noted.
OK, there is a 'Mandarin character' in IM3 in the sense that, yes, there is a mastermind plotting these terrorist attacks and attempting to bring Iron Man down. But in this story The Mandarin is a fictional creation of Aldrich Killian.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #322
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ Again, you are unequivocally mistaken/wrong. Aldrich Killian didn't fabricate The Mandarin's existence; he IS The Mandarin. All he fabricated was the persona of a public 'frontman' - Trevor Slattery - to whom he gave The Mandarin name. Killian features all of the characteristics of comics Mandarin:
1) He's a superhumanly skilled martial artist (Killian is a superhumanly skilled martial artist)
2) He's a mad scientist (Killian is a mad scientist)
3) He schemes to foment and profit from World War III (Killian schemes to foment and profit from a perpetual war on terror)

The only thing that Killian didn't have that comics Mandarin did is the alien rings.

Last edited by DigificWriter; 05-10-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #323
Enriquespy
Side-Kick

Oh my God! What a fight over semantics!!!

"Evening, Commmmmmmmmmmmmmmissionerrrrrrrr"

Old 05-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #324
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ It's not semantics. It's a guy saying that The Mandarin didn't actually exist as a character and me pointing out that he is wrong... which he is, as is established both by the film itself and statements from Shane Black and Kevin Feige.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #325
Enriquespy
Side-Kick

Only bad thing about this interpretation is that they didn't give Kingsley more screen time.

"Evening, Commmmmmmmmmmmmmmissionerrrrrrrr"

Closed Thread