The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

View Poll Results: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...
Love it! 92 36.51%
It's okay... 56 22.22%
Hate it! 104 41.27%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 01:37 PM   #326
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Killian is the Manderin. Plain and simple. The Manderin was his mask...which is in fact a part of who he is. He couldn't operate how he wanted to without that mask.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #327
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa "T" View Post
How am I a troll? because i don't agree with you?

Cause i want the Mandarin in Avengers 2?

You are the troll! If you don't like don't respomd to the comment!

Butthurt.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #328
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
^ Again, you are unequivocally mistaken/wrong. Aldrich Killian didn't fabricate The Mandarin's existence; he IS The Mandarin. All he fabricated was the persona of a public 'frontman' - Trevor Slattery - to whom he gave The Mandarin name. Killian features all of the characteristics of comics Mandarin:
1) He's a superhumanly skilled martial artist (Killian is a superhumanly skilled martial artist)
2) He's a mad scientist (Killian is a mad scientist)
3) He schemes to foment and profit from World War III (Killian schemes to foment and profit from a perpetual war on terror)

The only thing that Killian didn't have that comics Mandarin did is the alien rings.
^This x 1,000,000!

IN fact the line: "Soon I'll have the world's most powerful man in one hand, and the world's most feared terrorist in the other," should have been the clue.

Extremis was substituted for the Alien Rings.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #329
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPiltoff View Post
OK, there is a 'Mandarin character' in IM3 in the sense that, yes, there is a mastermind plotting these terrorist attacks and attempting to bring Iron Man down. But in this story The Mandarin is a fictional creation of Aldrich Killian.
Except Killian explicitly states, "I AM THE MANDARIN!".

Old 05-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #330
ctsketch
Side-Kick

"you wanted the Mandarin? Well here I am! I'm the Mandarin!"

Old 05-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #331
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
However does anyone think the nearly 70 year Ben Kingsley would have made for a good final battle against RDJ?
What if the Mandarin had been injected with Extremis? He would've been pretty damn powerful then. The final fight would;ve gone down the same, except with Kingsley in the place of Pearce.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #332
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
What if the Mandarin had been injected with Extremis? He would've been pretty damn powerful then. The final fight would;ve gone down the same, except with Kingsley in the place of Pearce.
he's referring to actual visual look...like how fake Dooku looked in Episodes II and III

Old 05-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #333
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Plus, Kingsley is actually pretty tiny.

I think it would've looked kinda ridiculous to see RDJ throw down with a 70 year old and struggle. Extremis or not.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #334
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Him being tiny is imo a bigger problem. Most effects these days are good enough that you can demand that the viewer immerses himself enough for it to work. I've always been an advocate for that the filmmakers and the viewer have equal responsibility for a great experience.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #335
signifyingmnky
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
Him being tiny is imo a bigger problem. Most effects these days are good enough that you can demand that the viewer immerses himself enough for it to work. I've always been an advocate for that the filmmakers and the viewer have equal responsibility for a great experience.
I don't about everyone else, but if you're asking for my money, you don't demand anything from me. Especially with the price of a movie ticket today.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #336
signifyingmnky
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
"you wanted the Mandarin? Well here I am! I'm the Mandarin!"
The Mandarin may just be the greatest comic book film villain ever. His plan was so good it broke the forth wall. People who watched the film and witnessed his treachery with they're own eyes STILL can't believe he's the guy.

I can't think of a single other comic book villain that's ever accomplished that in a film. Not one.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #337
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by signifyingmnky View Post
The Mandarin may just be the greatest comic book film villain ever. His plan was so good it broke the forth wall. People who watched the film and witnessed his treachery with their own eyes STILL can't believe he's the guy.

I can't think of a single other comic book villain that's ever accomplished that in a film. Not one.
That is not correct. The fourth wall remains untarnished. Especially by Guy Pearce's character. Aldrich Killian is not aware he is being watched by an audience in a theater. You'll have to use a different terminology to make your point.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #338
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
I don't about everyone else, but if you're asking for my money, you don't demand anything from me. Especially with the price of a movie ticket today.
It's not the filmmaker that makes that demand, it's the viewer that should put it on himself since it's a significant part of having a good experience. The fact that it costs money makes it even more relevant to do so in order to get more value out of it. Not doing so just affects ourselves negatively, no one else.

I think there are good and bad viewers, just as good and bad movies.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #339
signifyingmnky
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
That is not correct. The fourth wall remains untarnished. Especially by Guy Pearce's character. Aldrich Killian is not aware he is being watched by an audience in a theater. You'll have to use a different terminology to make your point.
The fourth wall came tumbling down the minute Trevor emerged from the bathroom.

Case in point. You can't call him the Mandarin. In spite of ALL of the evidence, you can't acknowledge the truth.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #340
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Any villain who has to announce who he is is a failure.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #341
signifyingmnky
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
It's not the filmmaker that makes that demand, it's the viewer that should put it on himself since it's a significant part of having a good experience. The fact that it costs money makes it even more relevant to do so in order to get more value out of it. Not doing so just affects ourselves negatively, no one else.

I think there are good and bad viewers, just as good and bad movies.
If If you're saying viewers should try to keep an open mind for their own sake I agree. But for me, the onus of good storytelling remains on the party producing the entertainment.

My open mind won't excuse a poor story.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #342
sdc10
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Any villain who has to announce who he is is a failure.
So its ok for a hero to announce their identity but not for a villain?

Old 05-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #343
MichaelChen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
^ Again, you are unequivocally mistaken/wrong. Aldrich Killian didn't fabricate The Mandarin's existence; he IS The Mandarin. All he fabricated was the persona of a public 'frontman' - Trevor Slattery - to whom he gave The Mandarin name. Killian features all of the characteristics of comics Mandarin:
1) He's a superhumanly skilled martial artist (Killian is a superhumanly skilled martial artist)
2) He's a mad scientist (Killian is a mad scientist)
3) He schemes to foment and profit from World War III (Killian schemes to foment and profit from a perpetual war on terror)

The only thing that Killian didn't have that comics Mandarin did is the alien rings.
Exactly correct.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #344
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:

Case in point. You can't call him the Mandarin. In spite of ALL of the evidence, you can't acknowledge the truth.
No, I'm serious. All twists, personal taste and expectations from the film aside, you're mistaken. The fourth wall in this instance is the movie theater screen. To any characters in the fictional work, that screen is a wall that doesn't allow them to see us watching.

Not Trevor, not Killian, not even Tony Stark (as we find out after the credits) speak, look at or otherwise acknowledge the existence of an audience. An example of breaking the fourth wall is Ferris Bueller speaking to the audience directly.

So you can say many have been bamboozled, many don't understand what happened in the film, many do not want to believe what happened... But it has nothing to do with the proverbial "fourth wall" of theater.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #345
signifyingmnky
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
No, I'm serious. All twists, personal taste and expectations from the film aside, you're mistaken. The fourth wall in this instance is the movie theater screen. To any characters in the fictional work, that screen is a wall that doesn't allow them to see us watching.

Not Trevor, not Killian, not even Tony Stark (as we find out after the credits) speak, look at or otherwise acknowledge the existence of an audience. An example of breaking the fourth wall is Ferris Bueller speaking to the audience directly.

So you can say many have been bamboozled, many don't understand what happened in the film, many do not want to believe what happened... But it has nothing to do with the proverbial "fourth wall" of theater.
Are you arguing for the sake of arguing here?

Old 05-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #346
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

The meta rebound occurs because of the audience bringing their knowledge of Ben Kingsley with them and watching his performance: they are watching a British actor play the face of terrorism who is actually a British actor playing the face of terrorism.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
Old 05-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #347
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Are you arguing for the sake of arguing here?
No, I'm arguing because you are wrong. If you're point is based on a false premise wouldn't you want to correct that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
The meta rebound occurs because of the audience bringing their knowledge of Ben Kingsley with them and watching his performance: they are watching a British actor play the face of terrorism who is actually a British actor playing the face of terrorism.
Jonathan makes a far more intriguing point about cinematic parabole. Good point Jonathan! And it still has nothing to do with the fourth wall.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #348
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:

....You don't know what the fourth wall is, do you?

The fourth wall is the imaginary "wall" that exists between the audience and the film, or play they are watching. When a character directly addresses the audience, and acknowledges that they are in a film or play that is breaking the fourth wall.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Old 05-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #349
signifyingmnky
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
....You don't know what the fourth wall is, do you?

The fourth wall is the imaginary "wall" that exists between the audience and the film, or play they are watching. When a character directly addresses the audience, and acknowledges that they are in a film or play that is breaking the fourth wall.
Iron Man 2 - Rhodes (to Tony): It's me. I'm here. Deal with it. Let's move on.

Iron Man 3 - The Mandarin (to Tony): No more false faces...You wanted the Mandarin! You got him! I'm the Mandarin!

I'd say the folks behind the Iron Man films understand the fourth wall pretty well.

Last edited by signifyingmnky; 05-10-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #350
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Iron Man 2 - Rhodes (to Tony): It's me. I'm here. Deal with it. Let's move on.

Iron Man 3 - The Mandarin (to Tony): No more false faces...You wanted the Mandarin! You got him! I'm the Mandarin!

I'd said the folks behind the Iron Man films understand the fourth wall pretty well.
Dude. You still aren't getting it. Google fourth wall if you have to. I'm sure the filmmakers understand the fourth wall just fine. As the closest they've come to breaking it is Tony narrating IM3. Which (after the credits) we find out isn't the case, because he isn't talking to us, he's talking to Bruce Banner.

Neither of those examples have anything to do with the fourth wall because (as you said) they are both talking "to Tony." As opposed to addressing the audience.

Closed Thread