The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

View Poll Results: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...
Love it! 92 36.51%
It's okay... 56 22.22%
Hate it! 104 41.27%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 05:31 AM   #526
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?
 
TheWallCrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: a realm of non-physical existence
Posts: 4,771
Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

glad someone understands my point

Yeah I agree, that's what probably happened. And the nods (karate chops, powers, dragon tattoos) would've been quite clever on their own if they never confirmed Killian as The Mandarin. That would've worked nicely as a simple homage

TheWallCrawler is offline  
Old 05-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #527
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,593
Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blksuperman2 View Post
IMO what happened was that the director didn't want to use the Mandarin. Someone told him that he could use a more modern version and give his character similar characteristics and if there're any comic fans who protest give examples of how this does in fact work.

The problem is more in the narrative than in the way the characters were handled.
Yeah, Black originally stated specifically that Mandarin wasn't going to be in the movie, and that a racist caricature like that didn't belong.

Personally, I suspect that Shane Black might've been given the same treatment Sam Raimi received in Spidey 3. Raimi never wanted to use Venom, and IIRC, didn't like the character at all. But fanboy pressure and/or studio pressure said, "C'mon, he's an iconic nemesis of Spidey! You *gotta* put him in there, Sam....you just *gotta.*" And boink, you get an INO and fanboys go ballistic over the raping of their childhood. Sounds eerily familiar.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 05-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #528
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?
 
TheWallCrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: a realm of non-physical existence
Posts: 4,771
Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

This movie does feel like a Sam Raimi Spider-Man film in a way. It's not the grounded gritty type it was in Iron Man 1 & 2, but the tone is more fantastical science like in Spider-Man

TheWallCrawler is offline  
Old 05-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #529
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist
 
Doc Samson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: GammaBase
Posts: 4,210
Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
No, it wouldn't be like Bane being Ra's, its exactly like Ducard being Ra's in BB. It's the exact same thing!

Hell, Ducard/Ra's wasn't immortal, he never wore the traditional Ra's outfit, he wasn't Arabic, etc. the only trait you could equate to his comic book counterpart, was that he was skilled in martial arts/hand-to-hand combat. Other than that, it was just the same kind of twist we got with IM3. Although, for some reason, when Nolan does it, he somehow "respected the character", when really, I think he went just as far, if not farther than what Shane Black did.
There's a tangible reason why Ras wasn't immortal though, it's because of the plausibility (yeah we know it's not realistic, but plausible is what we're talking about) Nolan was going for. There's a point to it, and it was used for dramatic purposes, not as a joke. And while ethnically Ras in BB may have been different (we know what Liam is obviously but I don't think it's ever explicitly known what Ras is supposed to be) and wore different things, he did still embody the character from the comics physically somewhat. He's still recognizable.

This twist made zero sense, even in the context of the film. The whole terrorist ploy was to cover up for Extremis failing, yet, he allows one of these still unstable Extremis experiments to Hollywood of all places, presumably knowing it's likely he might blow up?

Extremis makes people glow, and apparently walking around in public like that isn't a huge issue? Savin got out of the truck glowing for pete's sake!

Killian is trying to control supply and demand for his Extremis soldiers, but acts like no other place in the world, with conflicts already happening, wouldn't be happy to purchase said soldiers just the same?

On top of that Killian kidnaps Pepper to lure Stark to help with Extremis, but he also tries to kill him before any of that even happens? Speaking of Pepper, if Extremis is so easy for Stark to fix, why in the world didn't he do that years ago and help millions? Hell, even if it's purely for selfish reasons, after the Ten Ring experience changed his outlook on life to the point that he wants Stark Industries to get out of the weapon business, wouldn't that have been an opportune time to get the company to manufacture something to help people and make even more money at the same time?

This movie only bothers me so much because it could've been so much more (IM2 also) It just feels like a huge missed opportunity to have a truly special trilogy, and as it stands, there's one classic film and two mediocre ones IMO...

__________________
"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather

Last edited by Doc Samson; 05-20-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Doc Samson is offline  
Old 05-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #530
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,593
Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
This twist made zero sense, even in the context of the film. The whole terrorist ploy was to cover up for Extremis failing, yet, he allows one of these still unstable Extremis experiments to Hollywood of all places, presumably knowing it's likely he might blow up?
Killian doesn't know which of his soldiers are stable or unstable. As far as he (and Savin) knew, Taggert was okay at the time.


Quote:
Extremis makes people glow, and apparently walking around in public like that isn't a huge issue? Savin got out of the truck glowing for pete's sake!
Granted. But most action movies have that same credibility problem about bad guys (or heroes) supposedly keeping their identities and/or plans on the down-low, and then going out into god's own public and engaging in some spectacularly epic battle that would light up media and Youtube around the world. (Let's not even get started on the PDA --- Public Display of Ass-Kicking --- that went on in tiny little Rose Hill, Tennessee.)

Quote:

Killian is trying to control supply and demand for his Extremis soldiers, but acts like no other place in the world, with conflicts already happening, wouldn't be happy to purchase said soldiers just the same?
Killian mentions that he's got other buyers. It's implicit that his super-mercs could potentially be scattered all over the world.

Quote:
On top of that Killian kidnaps Pepper to lure Stark to help with Extremis, but he also tries to kill him before any of that even happens? Speaking of Pepper, if Extremis is so easy for Stark to fix, why in the world didn't he do that years ago and help millions? Hell, even if it's purely for selfish reasons, after the Ten Ring experience changed his outlook on life to the point that he wants Stark Industries to get out of the weapon business, wouldn't that have been an opportune time to get the company to manufacture something to help people and make even more money at the same time?
1) Killian doesn't have a reason to keep Tony alive at the start of the movie. It's not until Maya reveals that Tony potentially knows how to fix Extremis that he tries to capture him instead of kill him.

2) Tony didn't fix Extremis years ago because, as far as he knows, Extremis was just a nifty little experiment with plants that Maya Hansen, a one-night stand, showed him at a party 13 years ago. There's nothing to indicate that he knows anything at all about AIM, Killian, or Extremis in the 13-year interim.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 05-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #531
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows
 
ThePhantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 10,551
Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Great points, Doc Samson. I wondered about some of those plot inconsistencies myself.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline  
Old 05-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #532
Travesty
TEOL
 
Travesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In Bane's lair, of cursssshh!
Posts: 15,527
Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
There's a tangible reason why Ras wasn't immortal though, it's because of the plausibility (yeah we know it's not realistic, but plausible is what we're talking about) Nolan was going for. There's a point to it, and it was used for dramatic purposes, not as a joke. And while ethnically Ras in BB may have been different (we know what Liam is obviously but I don't think it's ever explicitly known what Ras is supposed to be) and wore different things, he did still embody the character from the comics physically somewhat. He's still recognizable.
I agree, but I'm just saying the Ducard/Ra's twist is similar, unlike the Bane/Ra's example the was given.

As for your other points: I'll just have to watch again to see if anything sticks out. I've only seen the movie once.

__________________
*Of curssssshhhh Kane would do my avy.
Travesty is offline  
Old 05-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #533
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist
 
Doc Samson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: GammaBase
Posts: 4,210
Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Killian doesn't know which of his soldiers are stable or unstable. As far as he (and Savin) knew, Taggert was okay at the time.
Right. But he's also smart enough to know that there would be a distinct possibility of something going wrong. If the whole operation is constructed primarily to keep things in secrecy, letting these guys go to Hollywood just doesn't seem to be a wise decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
2) Tony didn't fix Extremis years ago because, as far as he knows, Extremis was just a nifty little experiment with plants that Maya Hansen, a one-night stand, showed him at a party 13 years ago. There's nothing to indicate that he knows anything at all about AIM, Killian, or Extremis in the 13-year interim.
Perhaps, but with someone possessing such ingenuity I'm assuming he could've saw the benefit in it, particularly when he's capable of making it functional. I feel like if he looked at it long enough to surmise how to fix it, then surely he must've realized the potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
I agree, but I'm just saying the Ducard/Ra's twist is similar, unlike the Bane/Ra's example the was given.

As for your other points: I'll just have to watch again to see if anything sticks out. I've only seen the movie once.
Definitely similar in a literal sense, I just feel one serves a dramatic purpose and has reasoning behind it while the other just appears to happen for comedic relief with no real reasoning beyond that.

__________________
"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather

Last edited by Doc Samson; 05-23-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Doc Samson is offline  
Old 05-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #534
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?
 
TheWallCrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: a realm of non-physical existence
Posts: 4,771
Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

I have feeling that the writers were pretty proud of themselves for coming up with this "brilliant twist". Like Doc Samson said, with the Ra's twist there was a dramatic purpose that payed homage to the immortality aspects from comics, but here the only thing that reflects from the twist is that Shane Black doesn't like The Mandarin.

Hey guys, if it was so genius to get rid of the Mandarin because he "never was a good villain in the comics", why was it ever necessary to make Killian The Mandarin too? You're arguing that "he's really similar to the comic book Mandarin" to make him worth of the title, but you also justify the twist by saying that Mandarin in the comics was bland and forgettable and boring and so on. See, doesn't make a lot of sense does it

TheWallCrawler is offline  
Old 05-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #535
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument
 
Mjölnir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,840
Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWallCrawler View Post
I have feeling that the writers were pretty proud of themselves for coming up with this "brilliant twist". Like Doc Samson said, with the Ra's twist there was a dramatic purpose that payed homage to the immortality aspects from comics, but here the only thing that reflects from the twist is that Shane Black doesn't like The Mandarin.

Hey guys, if it was so genius to get rid of the Mandarin because he "never was a good villain in the comics", why was it ever necessary to make Killian The Mandarin too? You're arguing that "he's really similar to the comic book Mandarin" to make him worth of the title, but you also justify the twist by saying that Mandarin in the comics was bland and forgettable and boring and so on. See, doesn't make a lot of sense does it
The whole idea Killian had was to play on people's expectations, which makes them easier to trick because they see what they expect to see. The twist works in two ways because it plays the audience a meta level in similar fashion.

The idea was obviously not to just get rid of the Mandarin and the proof for that is the argument you bring up yourself; they wouldn't have had a real Mandarin in the movie in that case.

Mjölnir is offline  
Old 05-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #536
Doctor Who
KIDNEYS!!!
 
Doctor Who's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 6,417
Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

I'm going to follow up with another thing that bothered me, because of the choices that was made for this character.

Whoever is justifying their arguments by saying the Mandarin twist is like Ra's Al Ghul... don't have enough respect for the original source material for a solid argument. There are points in which the film were a little too humorous for me to take it seriously EXCEPT when the Mandarin came into play. On my behalf, I felt I could buy into all the comedic relief because from what I saw and understood, Kingsley held my interest in being a serious threat for Tony Stark and the rest of the world he affected. With him being the sadistic terrorist, there was a balance between light and then getting dark.

And to see him just played down into being just a figment of Killian's schemes... was the biggest villain disappointment I've seen since Foreman Venom in SM3. Not that Guy Pearce or Kingsley did a bad job; they did wonderfully, for what they were given to work with. But the choice of just defanging the Mandarin to be just some British drug junkie like in 80's cop shows is unforgivable for me.

When I watched the rest of this film, I lost the sense of danger it first started out with. I couldn't take the rest of the film seriously when it aimed to be serious; like they just laughed it off with a joke and beat it to death with a flying robotic arm. And it killed it for me. It had so much potential for being a wickedly great film, and just died down to be only a slightly witty mediocre action film.

__________________
ben: hello im ben...
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=453945
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

______________
\__\_l_l_/__/
\_______/
l_
l

THE LEGEND ENDS

JULY 20TH 2012

Last edited by Doctor Who; 05-23-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Doctor Who is offline  
Old 05-24-2013, 03:58 AM   #537
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?
 
TheWallCrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: a realm of non-physical existence
Posts: 4,771
Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
The whole idea Killian had was to play on people's expectations, which makes them easier to trick because they see what they expect to see. The twist works in two ways because it plays the audience a meta level in similar fashion.

The idea was obviously not to just get rid of the Mandarin and the proof for that is the argument you bring up yourself; they wouldn't have had a real Mandarin in the movie in that case.
But there are no grounds for giving Killian the title of Mandarin. It doesn't matter if he's "more like the comicbook version", no character in the movie has read any damn Iron Man comics so the only Mandarin that has been established to them is Kingsley's version. And that version is an entirely different thing than Killian's Mandarin so for a character inside the movie naming Killian "The Mandarin" wouldn't make sense

TheWallCrawler is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #538
ChukNoris
Experienced Bra Fitter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Turn around
Posts: 230
Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

First off, I DID NOT WRITE THIS. I just can't credit it because its from a baad baad site

Though many fanboys and comicbook geeks have bashed the film for a certain twist which disappointed and outraged many. I think that the twist worked perfectly for the tone of the film and we were given a villain whom had a real threat to not only Iron Man but the rest of the world. Aldrich Killian was a villain who actually could be very scary if he were a real life person, not some fake alien ring wielding idiot. I've heard people say Killian was a weak villain because they think he was just some nerd looking for revenge. If that is what you think then you didn't pay attention to the movie. Killian wasn’t just “upset” at Stark over some minor perceived offense. Killian THANKS STARK and repeatedly tries to get Stark to team up with him — he doesn’t hold a grudge, really, and only tried to kill Stark after Stark directly threatened to attack. But even then, he later keeps Stark alive and offers him a role in helping AGAIN. The importance of Stark dissing Killian in the past wasn’t that it made Killian hate him, that’s just fans totally misunderstanding the point of the scene and thinking it’s always got to be about the villain hating the hero for some simplistic reason. When Stark left Killian alone on that roof, the point is that Killian felt worthless and almost killed himself out of a sense of realization that his death wouldn’t even matter to anybody because nobody even really knew he was alive — but then he had an epiphany that this actually made him a mirror of Stark, an opposite side of the coin, with Stark being so public everybody knew him and targeted him while Killian realized that with anonymity he could accomplish anything so long as he used his anonymity to his advantage the way Stark conversely used his stardom to his advantage. Killian wanted power, he wanted to amass power without ever drawing attention to himself, THAT was his motivation, NOT “I’m gonna get back at Tony Stark for being mean to me once.”

The twist doesn’t fly in the face of Iron Man at all. The Ten Rings existed for many years, Killian has been building it up to create a new global terrorist threat to help him get more government money, more Extremis soldiers, etc. He was creating a supervillain version of Al Qaeda, basically, one that would require super-solutions like Extremis. The goal was to get more and more money to fund more and more research, and to create more and more Extremis soldiers who were actually loyal to HIM, Killian. And he’d have put a new president in office, giving Killian control over the White House. He’d literally control both sides of the global war on terror’s second stage of super-powered villains and soldiers. But he’d always be behind the scenes, controlling everything as the unseen hand of fate while the government and terrorists and other threats etc went about their business as the public face of things.

Killian is the Mandarin. The movie basically just changed him from being Chinese to being a white guy. And the reason for changing him is brilliant — in the comics, do you know how the Mandarin was originally created? He was created during the Cold War, after the Korean War and during the start of the Vietnamese conflict when the U.S. became gripped with fear that Chinese Communism was going to spread across Asia and take over the world. The paranoia was intense. Mandarin was created as a representation of the country’s fear of the Chinese and of Asian Communism in general, he was a Cold War stereotype basically. So, what did the film do? Had a white man create a fictional foreign stereotype villain to represent the country’s current biggest fears — foreign terrorists.

The Mandarin in the comics was literally created by white men as a representation of people’s fear of a foreign “menace,” and the Mandarin in the movie was created by a white man as a representation of people’s fear of a foreign “menace!” The *actual* Mandarin is also in the film, mind you — Killian is a man who was brilliant but unappreciated and who didn’t have the money or power to achieve his goals and was angry because of it, but who obtains advanced technology and grows in power, a man who becomes strong and superhuman in his abilities, a man obsessed with obtaining power to control the world and obsessed with obtaining technology to achieve his goals. At one point in the comics, the Mandarin carries out some of the same plot as in the film — using Maya to help him make an army of Extremis soliders, while simultaneously building a terrorist army around the world.

Imagine something for a moment — imagine if in the movie they’d cast a Chinese actor to play Killian, and it was revealed that he merely created the decoy Mandarin etc. With all of the other similarities to the character in the comics, would fans still be angry? Or would they more easily see that this is basically the same thing that “Batman Begins” did with Ra’s, having a smaller character from the comics (Ducard) turn out to be the REAL Ra’s al Ghul, and the foreign guy was just a decoy. Meanwhile, Ra’s was changed from an eco-terrorist sort of dude to a ninja-army vigilante. Ra’s was no longer immortal, lacking one of his most powerful and defining elements from the comics (the Lazaras pits), and he was turned into the man who trained Batman. Yet the Ra’s in the film was awesome and ultimately faithful to the core concept of the character, and most fans understand why the changes were made and totally accept it.

Well, the same thing was done with the Mandarin, but fans are mistakenly thinking the Mandarin didn’t exist and the Ten Rings organization wasn’t “real.” But Mandarin WAS in the film, and the organization WAS real, it just had a decoy to distract everyone from the REAL Mandarin, who had many elements from the comics. But he couldn’t be portrayed exactly the same, because that character was problematic for various reasons including how he was first created. So instead, the film said, “Well let’s literally create him the same way — let’s make a guy who is an INTENTIONAL stereotype, created by the REAL Mandarin as a ‘menace’ who looks and sounds like what we EXPECT the villain to be, as a distraction from the real threat!” And it worked, and it’s one of the most original and surprising twists on a villain in comic book films, although we SHOULD have realized it since it’s been done before — why didn’t we realize it this time, though? Because it fed into our expectations of fears and menace, that’s why. The film KNEW we’d assume he was the real Mandarin, because he looked and sounded like the stereotyped cliche of foreign terrorist menaces that we have in our minds. The film made us come face to face with those biases and expectations, and showed how a smart enemy could subvert our expectations and use us without us realizing it until it’s too late.

Tell me, how many superhero movies try that hard to make a story and villain so relevant to our modern world and to offer us a commentary on how villains can subvert our expectations to defeat us? How many superhero villains show that a really smart supervillain might be the one pulling the strings from behind the scenes without us every realizing it, and that if we let our biases and narrow expectations cloud our vision we won’t see the threat until it’s too late — like what happened to Tony in the film! This isn’t a film that disrespects or insults fans, it’s a film that has higher expectations for the characters and the fans, and expected everyone to see the narrative themes and understand them and think about them deeply. Watch the film again, think about this stuff while you watch it, and see if you don’t come out with an “ah ha! now I see the point!” moment, while also seeing a lot more clearly how Mandarin is really in the movie after all, and that they just made a brilliant alteration to help more literally represent the character’s comic book origins as a stereotyped villain who represented the “fear of the day.” The second time I saw the movie, I caught even more references and little nuances that fueled the whole concept, it’s great! And remember those great Chinese dragon tattoos on Killian’s chest, haha!
END OF STUFF THAT ISN'T MINE


I'd also like to add that this was the first movie in a long time that actually surprised me and I like that

__________________
If I agree with you we'd both be wrong.
ChukNoris is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #539
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

There was no Mandarin. It was all a stupid joke. Do that to a great villain and it can't be a win.

Senator Pleasury is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #540
ChukNoris
Experienced Bra Fitter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Turn around
Posts: 230
Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Culpepper View Post
There was no Mandarin. It was all a stupid joke. Do that to a great villain and it can't be a win.

But Aldrich Killian WAS the Mandarin. He just wasn't the chinese stereotype in the comics.

__________________
If I agree with you we'd both be wrong.
ChukNoris is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #541
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChukNoris View Post
But Aldrich Killian WAS the Mandarin. He just wasn't the chinese stereotype in the comics.
Did you think Ben Kingsley was being a Chinese stereotype?

This is like saying, 'he was the Joker only without the cliched clown make/up, laughter, clothes and psychosis.' He was not the character.

Senator Pleasury is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #542
MarvelU
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,089
Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

I don't much about Iron Man history, but when they first announced "The Mandarin" and showed the rings, I was intrigued and researched about him. I wanted to see the rings in action, but it didn't happen. Would have been cool.

MarvelU is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #543
ChukNoris
Experienced Bra Fitter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Turn around
Posts: 230
Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChukNoris View Post



Killian is the Mandarin. The movie basically just changed him from being Chinese to being a white guy. And the reason for changing him is brilliant — in the comics, do you know how the Mandarin was originally created? He was created during the Cold War, after the Korean War and during the start of the Vietnamese conflict when the U.S. became gripped with fear that Chinese Communism was going to spread across Asia and take over the world. The paranoia was intense. Mandarin was created as a representation of the country’s fear of the Chinese and of Asian Communism in general, he was a Cold War stereotype basically. So, what did the film do? Had a white man create a fictional foreign stereotype villain to represent the country’s current biggest fears — foreign terrorists.

The Mandarin in the comics was literally created by white men as a representation of people’s fear of a foreign “menace,” and the Mandarin in the movie was created by a white man as a representation of people’s fear of a foreign “menace!” The *actual* Mandarin is also in the film, mind you — Killian is a man who was brilliant but unappreciated and who didn’t have the money or power to achieve his goals and was angry because of it, but who obtains advanced technology and grows in power, a man who becomes strong and superhuman in his abilities, a man obsessed with obtaining power to control the world and obsessed with obtaining technology to achieve his goals. At one point in the comics, the Mandarin carries out some of the same plot as in the film — using Maya to help him make an army of Extremis soliders, while simultaneously building a terrorist army around the world.

Well, the same thing was done with the Mandarin, but fans are mistakenly thinking the Mandarin didn’t exist and the Ten Rings organization wasn’t “real.” But Mandarin WAS in the film, and the organization WAS real, it just had a decoy to distract everyone from the REAL Mandarin, who had many elements from the comics. But he couldn’t be portrayed exactly the same, because that character was problematic for various reasons including how he was first created. So instead, the film said, “Well let’s literally create him the same way — let’s make a guy who is an INTENTIONAL stereotype, created by the REAL Mandarin as a ‘menace’ who looks and sounds like what we EXPECT the villain to be, as a distraction from the real threat!”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Culpepper View Post
Did you think Ben Kingsley was being a Chinese stereotype?

This is like saying, 'he was the Joker only without the cliched clown make/up, laughter, clothes and psychosis.' He was not the character.
Just because he didn't have fancy rings doesn't mean he wasn't the Mandarin.

__________________
If I agree with you we'd both be wrong.
ChukNoris is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #544
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChukNoris View Post
Just because he didn't have fancy rings doesn't mean he wasn't the Mandarin.
I think he lacked of a little more than just the rings. He lacked being the character, for example. Mandarin was just a charade. A non existing character.

Senator Pleasury is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #545
ChukNoris
Experienced Bra Fitter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Turn around
Posts: 230
Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Culpepper View Post
I think he lacked of a little more than just the rings. He lacked being the character, for example. Mandarin was just a charade. A non existing character.
Can I ask what else he lacked (besides the ethnicity and rings)?

__________________
If I agree with you we'd both be wrong.
ChukNoris is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #546
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChukNoris View Post
Can I ask what else he lacked (besides the ethnicity and rings)?
In one word, everything.

It's like having the Joker, but not laughing, not white with red lips, no purple clothes, no green hair. Sure the name is there, but nothing else.

Senator Pleasury is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #547
ChukNoris
Experienced Bra Fitter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Turn around
Posts: 230
Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Culpepper View Post
In one word, everything.

It's like having the Joker, but not laughing, not white with red lips, no purple clothes, no green hair. Sure the name is there, but nothing else.
Well in the comics the Mandarin is (arguably at least) a terrorist, right? Killian is a terrorist, he built the Ten Rings, tried to have the President assassinated so he could control the White House. He would literally control everything.

He may not visually look like the Mandarin, but essentially they are the same.

__________________
If I agree with you we'd both be wrong.
ChukNoris is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #548
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChukNoris View Post
Well in the comics the Mandarin is (arguably at least) a terrorist, right? Killian is a terrorist, he built the Ten Rings, tried to have the President assassinated so he could control the White House. He would literally control everything.

He may not visually look like the Mandarin, but essentially they are the same.
So, Joker is a man. And a psycho that kills people for fun. So any psycho who kills for fun is the Joker, right? Not in my opinion.

Senator Pleasury is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #549
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,593
Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Culpepper View Post
In one word, everything.

It's like having the Joker, but not laughing, not white with red lips, no purple clothes, no green hair. Sure the name is there, but nothing else.
Mandarin in the movie is a brilliant amalgamation of *all* the many, many different versions of a character who is impossible to pin down to any one iconic look or reference. Kingsley represented the classic stereotype (the one that a lot of comic-book fans wanted to see), and Killian represented the modern interpretations of the character as an evil businessman, brilliant tactician and strategist, and master manipulator of archetypal imagery and propaganda. We got everything Mandarin is in the comics --- blatant stereotype, evil genius, superpowered villain, archnemesis to Tony Stark --- rolled into one, and wrapped up in beautiful gift paper that speaks volumes about how we create our own illusory villains to put a face on a faceless evil, so that we can pretend that "solving the problem" is as simple as defeating one bad man (whether he's named The Mandarin, or Osama bin Laden).

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 05-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #550
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Mandarin in the movie is a brilliant amalgamation of *all* the many, many different versions of a character who is impossible to pin down to any one iconic look or reference. Kingsley represented the classic stereotype (the one that a lot of comic-book fans wanted to see), and Killian represented the modern interpretations of the character as an evil businessman, brilliant tactician and strategist, and master manipulator of archetypal imagery and propaganda. We got everything Mandarin is in the comics --- blatant stereotype, evil genius, superpowered villain, archnemesis to Tony Stark --- rolled into one, and wrapped up in beautiful gift paper that speaks volumes about how we create our own illusory villains to put a face on a faceless evil, so that we can pretend that "solving the problem" is as simple as defeating one bad man (whether he's named The Mandarin, or Osama bin Laden).
And yet, in the movie, defeating one man (Killian) solved the problem.

Unless the Mandarin had been an unemployed baffoon and unless Mandarin is actually called Aldrich killian, this version of the character is far from being a thorough study and compendium of all those different versions of the character.

Senator Pleasury is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.