The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

View Poll Results: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...
Love it! 92 36.51%
It's okay... 56 22.22%
Hate it! 104 41.27%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #876
batfreakforever
A real fan

Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

I love it. I love it even more knowing that the fans hate it. The general movie going public seems to not be bothered by it. 1 billion+ worldwide. This is a first day home video release for me.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #877
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
Maybe I'm insensitive, but that in itself doesn't strike me as crossing a line. Granted, they would've had to have been careful, but I just can't help but feel that as long as they didn't engage in blatant stereotyping that they could've gotten away with keeping the character Chinese.
It kind of sounds like the Europeans complaining about a villain named after one of their noble titles. No one would blink at a bad guy named the Baron who was German for example. It actually not even that mandarin's are part of a past the present Govt doesn't even like so it should be no big deal. ( unless they made him too cool , I guess)

Last edited by Steamteck; 08-08-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #878
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by batfreakforever View Post
I love it. I love it even more knowing that the fans hate it. The general movie going public seems to not be bothered by it. 1 billion+ worldwide. This is a first day home video release for me.

It wouldn't break the movie for me if I didn't hate the rest of the film so much. Everything just personally hit me the wrong way. I know the GA had no problems but for me it was almost a play by play what I didn't want in the movie. Only MCU film I never plan to own.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #879
Arawn Fenn
Banned User

Quote:
I love it. I love it even more knowing that the fans hate it.
Seconded.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:59 AM   #880
A Necessary Evil
#Fannibal

Quote:

Raimi or not, it's absolutely hilarious how much Sony realizes they screwed the pooch.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #881
giveyourself12%
Team Walt

Quote:
Shane Black is that you? You gotta get that on a T-shirt.

"IM3...I...I did that."

IM3 is the Nightmare On Elm Street 4 of the MCU.

Nightmare 3 is generally regarded to be a high quality film and as a result, its followup was the biggest box office success of the film series if I'm remembering correctly. "Oh man...Nightmare 3 was awesome...we GOTTA see Nightmare 4!!"

But have you ever seen that film? Train wreck.

Same here IMO.

IM3 was huge because it was the only new Iron Man film we had. If the version I and a lot of people had wanted had somehow been made and released at the same time and people had the choice, I strongly believe that the more serious, action-oriented, let's say Favreau-ish (read: Iron Man-ish), one would have done even better than the film we got.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #882
guitarking
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by giveyourself12% View Post

IM3 was huge because it was the only new Iron Man film we had. If the version I and a lot of people had wanted had somehow been made and released at the same time and people had the choice, I strongly believe that the more serious, action-oriented, let's say Favreau-ish (read: Iron Man-ish), one would have done even better than the film we got.
I completely agree. So many people seem to be defending this mess of a movie out of devotion to the previous Iron Man movies. It's as if they've lost objectivity or never had any to begin with.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #883
A Necessary Evil
#Fannibal

Yup, you caught us. We're brainless, spineless idiots who like everything marvel has ever put out.

Raimi or not, it's absolutely hilarious how much Sony realizes they screwed the pooch.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #884
OcStat
Side-Kick

So Iron Man 3 is the new Spider-Man 3?

Ha!

Old 08-08-2013, 05:22 AM   #885
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Default I actually liked The Mandarin in Iron Man 3

I know it's not a popular position to take but I felt that making Killian The Mandarin was fairly brilliant for a number of reasons.

1. The Mandarin is a master of disguise. Nobody would have ever expected him to actually be a white guy. It actually fits since the audience is as in the dark as Tony about his real identity.

2. Everything about the Mandarin is a lie. His entire past is made up in the comics for the sake of making himself look cooler. Creating a false Mandarin to cover up for Guy Pearce was brilliant when you consider that the Mandarin in the comics is a pathological liar with a fabricated persona who's real name has never been disclosed.

3. I still don't believe he's dead. One hit from Pepper isn't going to take down The Mandarin. Knock him out? Probably, but he's not dead yet. I can see Thanos or one of his lieutenants give him ten special rings to grant him all the powers from the comics. That and AIM is still needed for Ant-Man. That or he'll stumble across a crashed ship full of Brood, slays them all and steals their rings and lies that it was a "great noble battle against evil alien invaders."

4. Red Scare villains don't work anymore. When you consider that the Chinese are a valuable American trading partner, Silver Age Mandarin isn't really scary anymore, he's a relic. Killian is far more like the current incarnation.

5. At least he's not the green-skinned yellow peril character from the 90s cartoon. That's probably what people were hoping for but that's the perfect mix of offensive and stupid to have alienated everyone other than diehard fans.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #886
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Default Re: I actually liked The Mandarin in Iron Man 3

I have to agree.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 08-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #887
StreetWarrior
Respectfully disagreeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcStat View Post

Ha!
That's a pretty fair comparison actually. A goofy mess that serves as an ugly stain on an otherwise outstanding franchise. IM3 may not be the worst comic book movie ever (or even close to it) but it's definitely the worst from Marvel and a gigantic step in the wrong direction.

... And really, the Mandarin's portrayal was the least of this movie's problems.

Last edited by StreetWarrior; 08-08-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #888
StreetWarrior
Respectfully disagreeing.

Quote:
Yeah, the general public seems to love Justin Bieber and McDonalds too. Popularity doesn't, and has never, been a sole determinant of quality.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #889
SilentWarriorZ
lemonidas

After this **** and 1 billion+ worldwide thing I wonder why they can't make a decent sequel for incredible hulk ?

Old 08-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #890
Asteroid-Man
Ham Sammiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetWarrior View Post
That's a pretty fair comparison actually. A goofy mess that serves as an ugly stain on an otherwise outstanding franchise. IM3 may not be the worst comic book movie ever (or even close to it) but it's definitely the worst from Marvel and a gigantic step in the wrong direction.

... And really, the Mandarin's portrayal was the least of this movie's problems.
Have you seen Iron Man 2?

Ke tokhme sokhan ra parakandeam.
Posting Since 09/24/05 10:30 am
Old 08-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #891
Victarion
Cut

Quote:

Ha!
Hardly. I hated Mandarin, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they're the same. Not enough development where it was needed is what hurt Mandarin.

“Evil is nothing but a word, an objectification where no objectification is necessary. Cast aside this notion of some external agency as the source of inconceivable inhumanity – the sad truth is our possession of an innate proclivity towards indifference, towards deliberate denial of mercy, towards disengaging all that is moral within us. But if that is too dire, let’s call it evil. And paint it with fire and venom.”
Old 08-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #892
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue

Do ya think maybe if they got an actual Asian actor in the place of Pierce,it would've gone a long way towards soothing the "I'm The Mandarin!" burn at the end?

Old 08-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #893
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Is this the same general movie going public that gave Transformers Revenge of the Fallen $836,303,693 so a sequel was greenlighted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid-Man View Post
Have you seen Iron Man 2?
I thought the same.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #894
Victarion
Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Do ya think maybe if they got an actual Asian actor in the place of Pierce,it would've gone a long way towards soothing the "I'm The Mandarin!" burn at the end?
No. He was still a bad character.

“Evil is nothing but a word, an objectification where no objectification is necessary. Cast aside this notion of some external agency as the source of inconceivable inhumanity – the sad truth is our possession of an innate proclivity towards indifference, towards deliberate denial of mercy, towards disengaging all that is moral within us. But if that is too dire, let’s call it evil. And paint it with fire and venom.”
Old 08-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #895
Green Goblin
The Nostalga Strikes Back

Quote:

Ha!

I thought IM3 was bad but not as bad as S*****-M** 3.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
There has been an awakening, have you felt it?
Old 08-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #896
Asteroid-Man
Ham Sammiches

There was a Spider-Man 3?

Ke tokhme sokhan ra parakandeam.
Posting Since 09/24/05 10:30 am
Old 08-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #897
Arawn Fenn
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
They should have cast Benedict Cumberbatch. Everyone would have defended him playing an Asian.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #898
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

I love Spidey 3 and Iron Man 3.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #899
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarking View Post
I completely agree. So many people seem to be defending this mess of a movie out of devotion to the previous Iron Man movies. It's as if they've lost objectivity or never had any to begin with.
So.....people are not allowed to have an opinion that differs from yours unless they have a problem with their thinking huh.....nice attitude.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #900
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Yeah: it reveals that some heroes have notoriously crappy rogues' galleries. This is not something out of left field; Iron Man's villains have been the butt of comic-book fandom jokes for decades. Even by Stan the Man himself. So has Hulk's. So has Wonder Woman's. So has a lot of major heroes' villain rosters. It's just the nature of comic book writing, and it in no way undermines the heroes themselves. Everybody still loves Iron Man, Hulk, Wonder Woman and anybody else; but they're not judged on the quality (or lack thereof) of their villains.

And in case anybody missed it, that last sentence is one of the major themes of IM3, and exactly what Shane Black was trying to say.
Well, I disagree Iron man's rogue's gallery is just great. If the exact same characters were Batman's they would be applauded IMO. It kind of a tiring and frankly unimaginative point/theme also IMO. The only hero I could even begin to really agree with is the Flash's and even they might be workable with a hero who couldn't snatch all their handheld weapons from them in the blink of an eye. I'm not saying there are no bad villains but there are far fewer than people make there out to be.

Well, for me Shane Black failed on a level I have never seen him fail before. SM3 was way way less disappointing for me. I was actually excited he was going to be writing it.

Last edited by Steamteck; 08-09-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Closed Thread