The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 07-03-2013, 05:46 AM   #276
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 3

I'd actually chalk that up as much to reeve himself for that. That costume is apparently so "unflattering" that's it's been used as the litmus test as to who could play superman.

Cavill apparently was able to look somewhat decent in it in his try-out for zack that it became one the reasons he got the role i believe. Cavill talked about how nervous he was to wear it, as it wasn't very flattering to most physiques (this was him pre-bulk up too).

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #277
-JKR-
Side-Kick

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Not to be pedantic, but films aren't 'reality'. The title character didn't looks absurd in Superman the Movie because he was not presented as such.
That I agree with, but Superman: The Movie is a child of its time, and fit perfectly with the fashion and looks of the 1970's.

What I meant by 'reality' is this: Drawings in comic books and animation do not represent what a similar suit will look like on a real human being. Movies aren't reality, but you don't get around actors being real human beings.

The difference is in the texture & the fabric. An artist can cheat, and doesn't have to worry about using the right fabric to achieve a certain look.

And for people bringing Spider-man up as an example (for still using spandex): that character has always had a more wiry, thin, unflattering look. Superman is supposed to look powerful. Statue-esque.

I really think they got the look right on Man of Steel - even without trunks, it's incredibly faithful to the icon we all know and love.

And ever since I saw this pic...:

...I thought that they should more or less take this direction. And they did - in a much better way!

Last edited by -JKR-; 07-03-2013 at 06:00 AM.
-JKR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #278
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
I'd actually chalk that up as much to reeve himself for that. That costume is apparently so "unflattering" that's it's been used as the litmus test as to who could play superman.

Cavill apparently was able to look somewhat decent in it in his try-out for zack that it became one the reasons he got the role i believe. Cavill talked about how nervous he was to wear it, as it wasn't very flattering to most physiques (this was him pre-bulk up too).
Interesting. They should dust off Adam West's old costume for auditions, too. Would love to see Bale doing "Nrgh Brhatt Voiyce" in that.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #279
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

Bale auditioned for BB wearing one of the BF panther suits laying around warners.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #280
regwec
Shakespearo

Surely those sculpted rubber things have to be precisely tailor made?

Old 07-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #281
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Surely those sculpted rubber things have to be precisely tailor made?
Indeed. They said there was 'a huge amount of baby powder' involved to squeeze him into it.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #282
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Baby powder....?
Why not butter ?
Henry Cavill covered in butter, I think I just found Paula Deen's new fantasy.

ConnorKon-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #283
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JKR- View Post
That I agree with, but Superman: The Movie is a child of its time, and fit perfectly with the fashion and looks of the 1970's.
Superman didn't exactly blend into the crowd even back in the 70s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
Baby powder....?
Why not butter ?
Henry Cavill covered in butter, I think I just found Paula Deen's new fantasy.
Christian Bale: It's still not coming on man and the butter and the powder have made a paste!

Last edited by Lead Cenobite; 07-03-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Lead Cenobite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #284
-JKR-
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post

Christian Bale: It's still not coming on man and the butter and the powder have made a paste!
I get that. The point was: the Superman suit is perfect for a Superman suit in the 1970's. But for the new movie an update was needed.

-JKR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:11 AM   #285
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Another interview with costume designer Michael Wilkinson

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/0...tion-with.html

ArmsHeldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #286
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post

Haha.

Nolan: Is the paste black?
Bale: No, why?
Nolan: Well, if the paste was black you could spread it all over and make yourself a pair of paste pants!

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:10 AM   #287
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

My apologies if anyone has posted this early MOS concept art already, but how would you guys feel if they had used this costume variant in the movie instead?

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Axl Van Sixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:04 AM   #288
regwec
Shakespearo

Apart from the inadvisable 1970s haircut, I don't really see how that differs from the traditional costume.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:19 AM   #289
FVD
Jolly Loves You

Looking at the costume now compared to over the years, actually losing the red undies was indeed a wise move. The costume has never looked better, and more alien looking too! Suppose it was a good idea for Martha not making Clark's suit anymore too. But that scene where Clark flew back to check on her where she complimented him on his suit was a quite nice little moment.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #290
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Van Sixx View Post
My apologies if anyone has posted this early MOS concept art already, but how would you guys feel if they had used this costume variant in the movie instead?

I would've like it more. Except for the \S/.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #291
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

that one looks much better than what we ended up with.

i dunno why all the costume art is so dark though. you'd think they would want to use lighting that would actually allow you to see the costumes design.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #292
kalhawj
Side-Kick

I'm glad we lost the trunk... I like the one in MOS better... Perhaps in the sequel I would like them to add a red belt to it like the 52 version and brighten up the colors of the suite. Minor changes is all that is needed for MOS 2.

kalhawj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #293
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Quote:
Apart from the inadvisable 1970s haircut, I don't really see how that differs from the traditional costume.
That's why I posted it. It's basically the MOS costume with trunks, which shows how traditional the new suit really is despite the controversy surrounding its trunkless look.

I was just interested in hearing what the traditionalists thought about this variant. As Motown Marvel mentioned, the dark tone of the concept art makes it hard to see some stuff - but am I the only one who thinks those trunks look painted on? It doesn't look like they're another layer of clothing, just a differently-coloured part of the same one-piece suit.

By the way regwec, I love both parts of your sig. Have you read this article?

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Axl Van Sixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:55 AM   #294
Super Kal
Side-Kick

It makes me think of the green lantern suit

Old 07-12-2013, 06:48 AM   #295
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Van Sixx View Post
By the way regwec, I love both parts of your sig. Have you read this article?
I'm afraid that site keeps timing out on me. If you have access to the page, I would be grateful if you would PM it to me. Thanks.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #296
sf2
Side-Kick

I heard that the voice against the trunkless design of the superman suit is getting louder. Called it a dishonour to the American culture... sorta. Heard any?

Old 07-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #297
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

There is no need for a pointless belt in the Mos suit. The new 52 costume is one of the ugliest superhero costumes I have ever seen. MOS needs to take nothing from it; if anything DC needs to take a class from the designer of the MOS suit.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #298
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szetsilya View Post
The new 52 costume is one of the ugliest superhero costumes I have ever seen. MOS needs to take nothing from it; if anything DC needs to take a class from the designer of the MOS suit.
I agree, Szetsilya. The Getting Old Fast.. err I mean New 52 costume only looks good when Jim Lee draws it. When anyone else tries, it ends up looking like crap.

ArmsHeldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #299
regwec
Shakespearo

Which is a pretty big flaw for a comicbook character design, when you think about it.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #300
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Why can't the New 52 just use my avi?

DChero is offline   Reply With Quote