The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 05-31-2013, 07:45 AM   #101
Smegger56
The Smegginator

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 3

I don't like the 52 suit. HATE the Injustice suit.

MOS is spot on IMO.

Smegger56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #102
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smegger56 View Post
I don't like the 52 suit. HATE the Injustice suit.

MOS is spot on IMO.
The 52 suit is awful. And I never got what this t-shirt and jeans look was about either.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

ArmsHeldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #103
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
The 52 suit is awful. And I never got what this t-shirt and jeans look was about either.

I agree with you guys about the New 52, Injustice, and MOS suits. Honestly, I didn't mind the t-shirt and jeans look, mostly just because of how bad the New 52 suit is in comparison. At least, the t-shirt and cape gives off the right silhouette. The cape still attaches in a very Superman-esque way. The high collar of the New 52 suit just ruins its lines. Turns it into a generic superhero costume. Also, I think I'm easy on the t-shirt/jeans look because Morales draws Superman more like the old Superman than the rest of the artists with the new 52, including Jim Lee. They softened his facial features too much and flattened his hair.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #104
Gavan
Side-Kick

For me, the MOS suit was an acquired taste... if they wanted it to be a bodysuit for armor they still could have kept the spandex look if they wanted. But I'm used to it now, it fits the internal logic of the film and my only quibble is the lack of a proper belt line, oddly like the Amazing Spider-Man suit.

But the redesigned S is really nice. Better than the conventional S.

Gavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #105
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
I agree with you guys about the New 52, Injustice, and MOS suits. Honestly, I didn't mind the t-shirt and jeans look, mostly just because of how bad the New 52 suit is in comparison. At least, the t-shirt and cape gives off the right silhouette. The cape still attaches in a very Superman-esque way. The high collar of the New 52 suit just ruins its lines. Turns it into a generic superhero costume. Also, I think I'm easy on the t-shirt/jeans look because Morales draws Superman more like the old Superman than the rest of the artists with the new 52, including Jim Lee. They softened his facial features too much and flattened his hair.
Their approach in selling the new 52 look just kind of confused me at first. You'd see him wearing the full costume in one issue; then he'd be rocking the t-shirt and jeans look in another. To this day, it's still sort of a head-scratcher.

ArmsHeldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:29 AM   #106
Super Kal
Side-Kick

this is why i stay out of the new generation of comic books... i'll stick to the classic version and they definitely have enough comics to cover that

Old 05-31-2013, 12:09 PM   #107
Gavan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Their approach in selling the new 52 look just kind of confused me at first. You'd see him wearing the full costume in one issue; then he'd be rocking the t-shirt and jeans look in another. To this day, it's still sort of a head-scratcher.
The t-shirt appearances are set before the full costume ones.

Gavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:23 PM   #108
Nicko-Ray
"HARRY'S DEAD!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavan View Post
For me, the MOS suit was an acquired taste... if they wanted it to be a bodysuit for armor they still could have kept the spandex look if they wanted. But I'm used to it now, it fits the internal logic of the film and my only quibble is the lack of a proper belt line, oddly like the Amazing Spider-Man suit.

But the redesigned S is really nice. Better than the conventional S.
Same thing happened to me. I get why they went that direction.

Nicko-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #109
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:

I actually love the t-shirt and jeans look. It's Supes' more casual attire, when he's just hopping around Metropolis saving people. It also serves a story purpose, in that he's trying to be the people's champion, and wants to connect with them on a personal level. The New 52 suit (which I can't stand) has a regal flair, which sort of defeats that point. I'm hoping that Man of Steel will knock some sense into DC and have him revert back to something that's at least closer to the classic suit, if not THE classic suit.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Compi716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #110
Italian_Kal

What do you people think of this first version of the costume took from the 13 minutes featurette? No yellow in the S, long line uniting the symbol to the belt... Kinda weird, but interesting!

Italian_Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #111
dabilee01
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian_Kal View Post
What do you people think of this first version of the costume took from the 13 minutes featurette? No yellow in the S, long line uniting the symbol to the belt... Kinda weird, but interesting!
The connecting line reminds me of that silly "the man, the legend" tshirt. Thank goodness they got rid of it.

dabilee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #112
Man of Steel
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compi716 View Post
I actually love the t-shirt and jeans look. It's Supes' more casual attire, when he's just hopping around Metropolis saving people. It also serves a story purpose, in that he's trying to be the people's champion, and wants to connect with them on a personal level. The New 52 suit (which I can't stand) has a regal flair, which sort of defeats that point. I'm hoping that Man of Steel will knock some sense into DC and have him revert back to something that's at least closer to the classic suit, if not THE classic suit.
Agreed. It seems like most, if not all of the new Superman suits are too regal and not down-to-earth enough, especially for someone raised in Kansas. I'm also hoping for a return to the classic suit or at least a version of it.

Brandon Routh for Superman!

I believe in Henry Cavill as Superman!

DC-B Universe-My Personal Take on the DCU!
Man of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #113
acedrake
Side-Kick

Hey guys, I am trying to make a 3d man of steel characters but I need some reference material for the suit. If anyone knows of front, side and back pictures of the suite please post them so I can work on them. Help greatly appreciated

acedrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #114
acedrake
Side-Kick

Oh yeah and a pic of the texture as well so I can make a seamless texture out of it

acedrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #115
Iron_Madrigal
Banned User

I always liked this design:

But the MoS suit is a work of genius.

Iron_Madrigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #116
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
First thing that popped into my head was 'Gatchaman'.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #117
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

The line down the center reminds me of those lines pregnant women get down their bellies.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #118
Kirmit
Big Green Machine.

Quote:
I hope when the bluray comes out we get a featurette on all the different costumes they tried.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #119
SuperWig
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
Yeah..it looks cheap compared to the MoS suit.
Totally agree! and it's funny considering that I remember someone in SR saying that each suit cost as much a porsche or something. It just show's how when you put time into something and don't try to revamp something that is dated, one can come up with somewhat of a practical looking bad ass suit!

Old 06-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #120
Italian_Kal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirmit View Post
I hope when the bluray comes out we get a featurette on all the different costumes they tried.
Would totally be cool!

Italian_Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #121
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:
I think it looks terrible. I'm not the biggest fan of the piping on the sides of the suit, but I can tolerate it. Removing the yellow in the shield and adding that weird "zipper" line down the center? That's a bit too much for me.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Compi716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #122
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Madrigal View Post
I always liked this design:

But the MoS suit is a work of genius.
Apart from Lois looking pleasingly glossy, it looks pants.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #123
SuperWig
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compi716 View Post
I think it looks terrible. I'm not the biggest fan of the piping on the sides of the suit, but I can tolerate it. Removing the yellow in the shield and adding that weird "zipper" line down the center? That's a bit too much for me.
Agree, it does make sense though. Considering that the piping holds the armor in place, it would seem consistant, especially since on Krypton it's only an under garment type of armor, so it wouldn't really be seen by other kryptonians as being stupid, just more practical. But thank God we didn't get this as the final suit.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #124
godisawesome
Side-Kick

The MOS suit is spiritually more traditional than the SR suit. Alex Ross said the SR suit had a shield that was too small and a neckline that was too high. And while the SR suit was just a retro decorated and colored version of the classic suit, the MOS suit has a more classic aesthetic even though its got some pretty radical departures. Both evoke the strongman look, but MOS goes for a more medieval and thus somewhat more timeless look. And I prefer the thicker chest and shoulders of the MOS suit, and the \S/ looks both more classic and more alien on this design.

The best design difference is probably the cgi cape. It's the antithis of the stiff leather one in SR and looks much more majestic and awesome. And it secures around his shoulders in a noble manner compared to the tacky manner on the SR suit.

-C.S. Lewis
godisawesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #125
Iron_Madrigal
Banned User

Yeah, Singer sucks.

Iron_Madrigal is offline   Reply With Quote