The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 06-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #176
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
how about it was costum-made? the ship has that technique, right?
There's nothing to give that impression to me. It seemed to come out of nowhere. Especially when you add to the fact of how old that ship is and who originally used it (Kara).

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #177
Anti-Venom
Side-Kick

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 3

The reveal of the suit was a very disappointing scene. It seemed rushed, and the total lack of explanation bothered me a lot. Why would the suit be on that ship?

The suit itself looked fantastic. Possibly my favorite version of the suit ever.

Anti-Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #178
Noach
Side-Kick

I liked how the suit looked as it were made out of metal or woven steel. It's texture was kind of like the technology on Krypton and how dense the metals looked and stuff.

Noach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #179
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Best Superman look, across any medium, EVER. When I think "Superman," this is the look I will have in my mind's eye from now on.

moviedoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #180
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator

I have to say. Till even the films release I wasn't the biggest fan of the suit. It wasn't that it was bad, I just couldn't stand the middle of the suit. No, not the removal of the trunks, but how they handled it after that. All of that being said, seeing the suit on film...it was great.

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #181
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

All the pictures we've seen of the suit -- nothing comes close to live action. I had no problem with the blue color as well; it was actually a lot more vibrant than I expected.

ArmsHeldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #182
Nicko-Ray
"On va voir."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
I have to say. Till even the films release I wasn't the biggest fan of the suit. It wasn't that it was bad, I just couldn't stand the middle of the suit. No, not the removal of the trunks, but how they handled it after that. All of that being said, seeing the suit on film...it was great.

I think one of the best shots where it's lit very well is when Lois programs the key into Zod's ship and Supes is able to move again so he breaks the cuffs. That very shot it's lit very well.

Then the second time is when they're out in the desert waiting for Zod to come. Looks really really good there.

Nicko-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #183
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
There's nothing to give that impression to me. It seemed to come out of nowhere. Especially when you add to the fact of how old that ship is and who originally used it (Kara).
didn't u make the assumption yourself that the suit was there since 20 000 years ago? but it won't make sense, right?

Old 06-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #184
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
didn't u make the assumption yourself that the suit was there since 20 000 years ago? but it won't make sense, right?
I'm sticking that suit is actually Kara's. Makes the most sense to me.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

Old 06-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #185
The Guard
Side-Kick

Why do people keep asking silly questions that amount to "Why would a Kryptonian suit be on a Kryptonian ship"?

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:36 AM   #186
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

I just assumed the ship had the technology to make suits. And the Jor-El-o-gram told it to make a suit with his house crest on it.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:39 AM   #187
Iron_Madrigal
Banned User

Uh, did you guys notice that most of the Kryptonians were wearing the same thing?

Iron_Madrigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:44 AM   #188
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Yeah, and added to the fact it was shown that the Hope sign wasn't exclusive to the EL family.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:53 AM   #189
Dispatch Ninja
Side-Kick

I don't think kara was the only one on the scout ship 20,000 years ago (I never read the prequel comic), I'm sure they had a lot of suits on board for all of the male and female kryptonians (some being from the house of el).

Dispatch Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #190
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Nice featurette of the cast on the film's costumes. Although i'm still wondering what kind of material the actual suit was made off?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #191
gdw
Side-Kick

Regarding the suit in the ship, the easy option is that the ship/Jor-ogram-El replicated it.
As mentioned, there's nothing directly imply this, though it's definitely not out of the question.

On the other hand, considering the purpose of the ship, why WOULDN'T it have extra clothes on it? It also makes sense that they would likely have representatives of the different houses, so there would be House of El glyphed suits.

That could also explain why it was different that Jor-El's , who's glyph was almost all a subdued gold, rather than red.

In other words, Superman's walking around in 20,000 year old clothes. Talk about out of style. I'm surprised Zod wasn't laughing at how ridiculous he looked to him compared to his hip, modern, all black get up.

Superman's just retro like that.

Thanks Cconn, for the avvy.

"Originally we wanted Bill Murray to play Batman." - Jon Peters.
gdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #192
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko-Ray View Post

I think one of the best shots where it's lit very well is when Lois programs the key into Zod's ship and Supes is able to move again so he breaks the cuffs. That very shot it's lit very well.

Then the second time is when they're out in the desert waiting for Zod to come. Looks really really good there.
My favourite scene with the suit, was out at Edwards AFB when Superman was telling the General etc. about the phantom drive. In that scene Henry looked large and in charge, and was the absolute embodiment of Kurt swann's Superman. You could see every muscle and the details around the waist really worked and popped, and the way Henry delivered his lines (which let's face it is routine SciFi gobbledy goop) in that scene was also excellent. That scene is for me where he became the fully formed perfect Superman that I was hoping he would be. Amazing!

Stephen K. Hone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #193
Nicko-Ray
"On va voir."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen K. Hone View Post
My favourite scene with the suit, was out at Edwards AFB when Superman was telling the General etc. about the phantom drive. In that scene Henry looked large and in charge, and was the absolute embodiment of Kurt swann's Superman. You could see every muscle and the details around the waist really worked and popped, and the way Henry delivered his lines (which let's face it is routine SciFi gobbledy goop) in that scene was also excellent. That scene is for me where he became the fully formed perfect Superman that I was hoping he would be. Amazing!

Oh yeah. Basically all of the scenes with them at that desert. I know exactly what you're talking about. Lol at the scifi gobbledy goop

I think the arms have some lines in them that are supposed to make it look like his veins.

Nicko-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #194
gdw
Side-Kick

I'm hoping they show the cape looking more regal in sequels. Not redesigning it necessarily, but just showing it in a few different ways.
This is the first time they've actually managed to make something resembling the comics' cape attachment, and make it not look stupid, I'd love to see them draw even more from the comics use of the cape.

One in particular I'm hoping to see is the cape draping over his shoulder(s) like in this concept art:

Thanks Cconn, for the avvy.

"Originally we wanted Bill Murray to play Batman." - Jon Peters.
gdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #195
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
Regarding the suit in the ship, the easy option is that the ship/Jor-ogram-El replicated it.
As mentioned, there's nothing directly imply this, though it's definitely not out of the question.

On the other hand, considering the purpose of the ship, why WOULDN'T it have extra clothes on it? It also makes sense that they would likely have representatives of the different houses, so there would be House of El glyphed suits.

That could also explain why it was different that Jor-El's , who's glyph was almost all a subdued gold, rather than red.

In other words, Superman's walking around in 20,000 year old clothes. Talk about out of style. I'm surprised Zod wasn't laughing at how ridiculous he looked to him compared to his hip, modern, all black get up.

Superman's just retro like that.
this makes the most sense to me. as jarring as the suit just,you know,being there was,the change of colors from what everyone on Krypton was wearing bugged me more... until,like you said,you look at it as a 20.000 year old suit and the style/color of that time.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #196
The Guard
Side-Kick

I honestly can't believe people can't figure out the potential reasons that suit is there. The movie never shows Jor-El making the thing, so either it was already there on the Scout ship, or Jor-El made it somehow. Exactly how hard is that to figure out?

I kind of immediately figured that the symbol of hope being brighter and the colors of Superman's suit being less drab and "worn", if you will, was a subtle nod to the idea of Kal-El becoming "a return to the ideals of the past", VS the worn, darker and colder ideals of modern Krypton.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #197
Iron_Madrigal
Banned User

Quote:
I'm hoping they show the cape looking more regal in sequels. Not redesigning it necessarily, but just showing it in a few different ways.
This is the first time they've actually managed to make something resembling the comics' cape attachment, and make it not look stupid, I'd love to see them draw even more from the comics use of the cape.

One in particular I'm hoping to see is the cape draping over his shoulder(s) like in this concept art:

Sam Harris as Superman? Freaky!

Iron_Madrigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #198
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Quote:

I love the cape draping over the shoulders with Batman, but have never liked it with Superman.

For Batman it seems appropriate to his character, i.e. covering himself up more, trying to hide from view. But with Superman, the essence of his personality is that he doesn't hide from anybody, but is there in plain sight (also one of the reasons he doesn't wear a mask). So I like the cape flowing behind him rather than covering him up.

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Axl Van Sixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #199
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

All-Star had in interesting design where it just draped over his shoulders and a little bit of his upper arm. Not over his entire arms like that black suit one.

"

Old 06-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #200
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:

i thought the cape look regal and awesome enough. if the cape draping over his shoulders, then we can't see his broad shoulders and frame.