The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 05-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #26
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Default Re: Warner Bros. Acquires "Dungeons and Dragons" Movie Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
How many of you have actually played the game? I mean actually used the 12 sided die and everything.

I've been a regular player for over 20 years. I started in the late 80's with the classic Red Box D&D set. Then I made the transition to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (now referred to as 1st Edition AD&D). Then came end Edition AD&D. Then end Edition with the optional rules published in the books Skills & Powers and Combat & Tactics. I kinda fell drifted away from gaming after 3rd Edition came out. I just didn't agree with a lot of the changes that were made, which seemed to get worse and more confusing with every supplement they published. Now I play Paizo's Pathfinder RPG, which is essentially 3rd Edition D&D except with a lot of the new rules simplified and streamlined. I won't even touch 4th Edition. I might take a look at 5th Edition when it comes out, but I can't guarantee I'll buy it.

And yeah, the d12 got the least amount of action out of all the dice. Even now it's mostly used by people playing barbarians wielding Great Axes (barbarians get d12 hit points per level, and in 3rd Edition the Great Ax is the only weapon that does d12 damage).

Thundarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #27
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

That should be the new in-joke of this thread.

"_____ is about as useful as a d12!"

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #28
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
That cartoon was utter ****.

Someone call me when they adapt an actual property and not just a banner that many, many, many, many properties fall under. You want to know what a generic D&D movie would look like? The Lord of the Rings, because the game borrowed nearly everything from Tolkien. If they adapt the Dragonlance saga, or the Drizzt stuff, or any other legitimate story set under the D&D banner, then I'll care. Otherwise, it'll just be another fantasy movie that fails to get it right.

Again, that cartoon was ****

I disagree. Sure, the show was kiddified, sometimes to the extreme (defeating a beholder by shoving a flower in its face? Puh-leaze!). But it WAS a Saturday morning cartoon FOR kids, so that can be forgiven to a certain extent. However it did break a lot of new ground for Saturday morning cartoons at the time.

They were the first action series to have a continuous story arc through out the series (their quest to return home), unlike many other shows at the time which simply had the heroes stumbling into one adventure after another. They were among the first shows on Saturday morning to show their characters having romantic feelings. Each episode usually had a moral lesson entwined in the plot, but they didn't bludgeon you to death with it like on He-Man & The Masters of The Universe. And the writers were able to come up with creative ways for the kids to use their weapons which wouldn't have the TV censors up in arms over the level of violence.

And a live action movie based on the cartoon would in fact be the actual property set under the D&D banner that you were asking for. It might not be your preferred property, I for one would LOVE to see a live action adaptation of The Legend Of Drizzt Do'Urden, but it IS a recognizable property under said banner. And don't forget, with a live action adaptation of the cartoon, they would be able to do much more than they were able to get away with on the Saturday morning program. The kids could use lethal force against Venger's orcs, for example. The implied sexual attraction between Hank and Sheila could be made far more obvious. They could make the kids a bit older (college rather than high school) and make the attraction more . . . graphic. And the great thing about adapting the cartoon over one of the novels is it gives the writers so much more freedom to write their own story. If someone tries to adapt Homeland or Azure Bonds, fanboys everywhere would cry foul if it isn't 100% true to the source material. But with the cartoon, they only have to be true to the characters. The story itself could be almost anything, as long as it maintains enough elements from the show for the original fans to appreciate it.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #29
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr View Post
I disagree. Sure, the show was kiddified, sometimes to the extreme (defeating a beholder by shoving a flower in its face? Puh-leaze!). But it WAS a Saturday morning cartoon FOR kids, so that can be forgiven to a certain extent. However it did break a lot of new ground for Saturday morning cartoons at the time.

I tried doing that in an actual game once. It did not end well.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #30
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink ranger View Post
i tried doing that in an actual game once. It did not end well.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #31
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

At least it wasn't a gazebo.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #32
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
Rangers and elves are bollocks.

They need to base it off Eberron: airships, monorails powered by elementals, sorcerer-investigators, werewolves, good orcs and stuff. The setting is "mage-punk": science fiction meets sword and sorcery. That's how you separate yourself from the humdrum melodrama of LOTR.
Well if you're gonna go that route, I'd rather see a live action version of Iron Wood. Randy dragons, fellatious centaur babes, demon possessed damsels in distress, floating sky ships, and an evil wizard in desperate need of a certain little blue pill. Give it a hard NC-17 rating and let'er rip!

Old 05-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #33
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Between The Hobbit and Game of Thrones, I guess high fantasy is going to be in vogue for a while now. Until this bombs, that is.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #34
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

As an alternative to a live-action version of the cartoon, and to sidestep established settings or character, and to really drill down to the essence of early D&D, I'd submit the idea of a fantasy-themed heist film.

Early D&D was all about small teams of people with highly specialized skillsets grouping up to rob a temple or plunder some trapped and monster infested tomb in pursuit of riches. That's a heist film. The raid on Set's temple in Conan the Barbarian being one example already on film.

Imagine a quality, fantasy version of Heat.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #35
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
As an alternative to a live-action version of the cartoon, and to sidestep established settings or character, and to really drill down to the essence of early D&D, I'd submit the idea of a fantasy-themed heist film.

Early D&D was all about small teams of people with highly specialized skillsets grouping up to rob a temple or plunder some trapped and monster infested tomb in pursuit of riches. That's a heist film. The raid on Set's temple in Conan the Barbarian being one example already on film.

Imagine a quality, fantasy version of Heat.
That's an interesting take on it. I'm not sure if Studio execs would be willing to back such a concept, but I certainly see the potential.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #36
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

They almost certainly wouldn't. But the version in my head is pretty awesome!

Old 05-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #37
Victarion
Cut

Inception = Dungeon crawler with psionics, rogues and thieves.

WOTC really has a lot to work with: Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Eberron, Ravenloft. Probably more I'm forgetting. I'd take the good stuff from each:

-Dragonlance cosmology of Good, Evil, Neutral gods/goddesses
-Eberron cosmology where the gods' existence is ambiguous
-Forgotten Realms races: Thinking outside the box, I'd go with Genasi, Glabrezu, Slaadi, Shifters, and Atropals. Dragons can be more natural disasters and less something everyone's itching to slay.

The world's geography can be based around Eberron.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:23 AM   #38
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
The bad news is that the script is being done by the dude who did 'Wrath of the Titans' and 'Little Riding Hood'.
Yeah exactly!

I liked the cartoon series of Dungeons/Dragons!

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #39
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
They almost certainly wouldn't. But the version in my head is pretty awesome!
Maybe turn The Ghost Tower Of Inverness into a D&D movie.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #40
Heretic
Side-Kick

I have been complaining for years that a D&D movie would be a surefire blockbuster and that it's one of the top properties that should be licensed...then I found out that there are 3 films, the most recent from just a year ago.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:59 AM   #41
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
I have been complaining for years that a D&D movie would be a surefire blockbuster and that it's one of the top properties that should be licensed ... then I found out that there are 3 films, the most recent from just a year ago.
You just found that out? The first movie came out 13 years ago.

And D&D would be a surefire blockbuster. It just has to be handled correctly.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #42
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Aha! I told you it was strange Hasbro would just sell off the brand rights.

Quote:
Rights Battle On ‘Dungeons & Dragons’: Warner Bros and Universal/Hasbro Tangle

EXCLUSIVE: Yesterday, I broke a story about Warner Bros making big plans on a live-action feature based on the role-playing fantasy game fixture Dungeons & Dragons. Not so fast, says Hasbro, which claims that it owns the rights to D&D, and that the toymaker company has set up the project at Universal to be developed as a directing vehicle by Chris Morgan, the scribe behind the last five films in The Fast And The Furious franchise (including the upcoming Fast 6) and 47 Ronin.

Well, nobody is commenting for the record at Warner Bros, but I can tell you the studio isn’t backing down from its plans to move forward on a project that already has a completed script by Wrath Of The Titans scribe David Leslie Johnson, with Roy Lee producing alongside Courtney Solomon. Solomon actually directed the 2000 feature based on the billion-dollar fantasy game. Hasbro spokesman Wayne Charness said that “Hasbro owns the intellectual property rights to Dungeons & Dragons, period, because of Hasbro’s acquisition of Wizards Of The Coast in 1998.” Insiders on the other project maintain this has come up before, and that in a binding arbitration decision, Solomon prevailed and was proven to hold the underlying rights necessary to make the Warner Bros movie possible.

What does all of this mean? Before the fantasy mayhem and sword battles of Dungeons & Dragons gets depicted on the screen, there’s a good chance that a bunch of balding lawyers wearing glasses will face off in an arbitration hearing battle. And really, isn’t that in keeping with the spirit of a fantasy game that has captured the passion of glasses-wearing balding geeks since 1974? Fellas, to steal a phrase from another geek franchise fave Highlander, there can be only one, so have at it.
http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/righ...hasbro-tangle/

Old 05-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #43
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

So basically this battle will be decided by multi-class Necromancer-Litigators with
enhanced Intellectual Property proficiency?

Old 05-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #44
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Aha! I told you it was strange Hasbro would just sell off the brand rights.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/righ...hasbro-tangle/

From what I gather from that article, Solomon owns the rights to the 2000 Dungeons & Dragons movie, while Hasbro maintains the rights to the Dungeons & Dragons brand. So I guess Solomon can make a D&D movie which is a direct sequel to his 2000 film, but not stray from that cast of characters.

Meanwhile Hasbro is looking to make their own original D&D movie with Universal. At least, that's what I think they said.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #45
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Warner Bros./Legendary would handle this better. Hope it goes to them.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #46
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr View Post
From what I gather from that article, Solomon owns the rights to the 2000 Dungeons & Dragons movie, while Hasbro maintains the rights to the Dungeons & Dragons brand. So I guess Solomon can make a D&D movie which is a direct sequel to his 2000 film, but not stray from that cast of characters.

Meanwhile Hasbro is looking to make their own original D&D movie with Universal. At least, that's what I think they said.
They'd have to be **** nuts to make a sequel to Solomon's turd. Talk about a bad idea. Plus they said they were working with David Leslie Johnson's Chainmail script to retrofit it to D&D.

I dunno, I'm sure the lawyers will figure it out lol

Old 05-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #47
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
So basically this battle will be decided by multi-class Necromancer-Litigators with
enhanced Intellectual Property proficiency?
And the feat Skill Focus: Shovelling Bulls#!t.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #48
ShredderX
Side-Kick

Actually, I rather have a live action D&D movie based on the cartoon. would be awesome to see Venger and Tiamat on the big screen. I don't care who they get to play Venger, but his voice has got to be Peter Cullen , like in the series.

ShredderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #49
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
They'd have to be **** nuts to make a sequel to Solomon's turd. Talk about a bad idea. Plus they said they were working with David Leslie Johnson's Chainmail script to retrofit it to D&D.

I dunno, I'm sure the lawyers will figure it out lol

Well they already have made a sequel to Solomon's turd, and it actually turned out pretty well considering the severe limitations they had to work with.

Personally, I'd like to see the existing sequel remade with higher production values and a known cast. Plus maybe add in a couple of additional characters from the first film, those who would still be around 100 years after the events of the first film (specifically, Nora the Elven Ranger and Elwood the Dwarven Fighter). I also would've made Nim The Rogue a halfling, and cast Warwick Davis in the role.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #50
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

yeah but those are a far cry from a big budget tentpole flick they're no doubt shooting for this time. I don't see it happening.