Default Re: Hugh Jackman IS The Wolverine Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
Actually, equally as.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:48 AM   #352
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

On another note, it's going to be good that they'll be allowed to show Wolverine around Hugh's age in DoFP, even for a short amount of time.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:32 AM   #353
righthooksrus86
Side-Kick

Yup just wanted to take the time out to say that Hugh Jackman is the man! I've loved Wolverine since I was a little kid watching the cartoons, reading the comics, collecting the action figures...Only thing left was to see him in live action in a movie. I honestly didnt think in my wildest dreams people would be interested in making an X-Men movie. Thankfully they were and thankfully Hugh Jackman, the dedicated and talented actor that he is, fell in love with the character the same way I did and now knows the character like the back of his hand. I salute you Hugh! For bringing my childhood hero to life! Hugh Jackman IS the Wolverine.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:01 AM   #354
The Englishman
Marching On Together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post
I love this:

I love this. The Brown and Tan is my favorite and I wish they would do a brown and tan version of the X-Force costume.

"For England James?" "No......For me"

"The things i do for England."
Old 07-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #355
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:

I'm so thrilled for you!

And incredibly, incredibly, incredibly jealous!

Was it awesome?

As good as the reviews suggest?

Was there dat ass?
Thanks! I'm still getting over that. I'm so glad I'm seeing the movie again tomorrow night, because I was still like for the first half-hour of the movie or so.

It was awesome. Much darker and nastier than the previous films, and even though the trailers don't suggest it, there are nice stretches of story between all of those action scenes. It's actually really funny too.

Especially that bathtub scene - Yukio is forcing him to take a bath so he can lose that scraggly look before meeting Yashida, so there are these two older Japanese women practically tackling him in the tub with brushes in the bath. It's really funny!

Old 07-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #356
Double B
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Thanks! I'm still getting over that. I'm so glad I'm seeing the movie again tomorrow night, because I was still like for the first half-hour of the movie or so.

It was awesome. Much darker and nastier than the previous films, and even though the trailers don't suggest it, there are nice stretches of story between all of those action scenes. It's actually really funny too.

Especially that bathtub scene - Yukio is forcing him to take a bath so he can lose that scraggly look before meeting Yashida, so there are these two older Japanese women practically tackling him in the tub with brushes in the bath. It's really funny!
Oh, I can't wait to go. I'm trying to get people to come with me even though some aren't big fans of the X franchise after X3.

Sounds great. I'm hoping it finally feels like the dark and violent Wolverine they've always teased and never actually showed, as dark as violent as you can get with PG-13.

Haaaaa! Naked Wolverine being bathed? If that doesn't sell tickets, nothing will.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #357
Angamb
Banned User

what's your bet for its boxoffice, danoyse?

I mean, its final numbers worldwide, more or less

Old 07-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #358
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Oh, I have no idea. I'm terrible at predicting these things. I think it will do really well though. And the crowd went crazy for the end credits sequence, which hopefully bodes really well for DOFP.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #359
TWayneP
Side-Kick

Quote:
Oh, I have no idea. I'm terrible at predicting these things. I think it will do really well though. And the crowd went crazy for the end credits sequence, which hopefully bodes really well for DOFP.
I see this having strong legs if it doesn't open with a huge weekend.

Good word of mouth will really help this out to get the fence riders to see it.

DOFP will easily set some kind of records. Thats already sold and has positivity behind it. The first REAL X-men movie in 14 years. Thats all it needs to sell. Its not a spin off, prequel etc.

I see wolvie getting about 65 million give or take this weekend, but not dropping as fast, and taking it a few 30-20 million weekends afterward. Who knows though! I hope it opens HUGE!

Old 07-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #360
righthooksrus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWayneP View Post
I see this having strong legs if it doesn't open with a huge weekend.

Good word of mouth will really help this out to get the fence riders to see it.

DOFP will easily set some kind of records. Thats already sold and has positivity behind it. The first REAL X-men movie in 14 years. Thats all it needs to sell. Its not a spin off, prequel etc.

I see wolvie getting about 65 million give or take this weekend, but not dropping as fast, and taking it a few 30-20 million weekends afterward. Who knows though! I hope it opens HUGE!
I was worried about how fox was marketing the movie but they've done a lot within the last couple of weeks considering I rarely even saw previews to the film before this month...A lot of my buddies who didnt know a Wolverine movie was coming out are all planning on seeing it this weekend.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #361
kasjan
Side-Kick

,,Hugh Jackman IS The Wolverine Thread"
After read review of DOFP footage from Comic Con I wonder if this is the right name of thread. If he's Cable too like in Ultimate sh..., then I will be first to boycott this..

Old 07-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #362
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasjan View Post
,,Hugh Jackman IS The Wolverine Thread"
After read review of DOFP footage from Comic Con I wonder if this is the right name of thread. If he's Cable too like in Ultimate sh..., then I will be first to boycott this..
is that possible ???

Old 07-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #363
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

How could
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Wolverine be Cable?

Old 07-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #364
kasjan
Side-Kick

That's how:
From footage:,,Future Wolverine, when not in uniform, has a little grey hair on his sideburns, and some sort of metal cage-esque armor on his center torso and going up one of his arms, as if they’re making him look like a live-action version of Cable."

Last edited by kasjan; 07-24-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #365
AW1
Newbie First Class

I take it the 70s Wolverine will have bone claws? How do people feel about this?

Old 07-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #366
TWayneP
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasjan View Post
That's how:
From footage:,,Future Wolverine, when not in uniform, has a little grey hair on his sideburns, and some sort of metal cage-esque armor on his center torso and going up one of his arms, as if they’re making him look like a live-action version of Cable."

Im sorry that sounds ridiculous. the grey temples are from the DOFP comic and we havnt seen the costume yet.

Do you really think fox or singer, who love to have as many mutants as possible, would combine Wovlerine with Cable.

Im sorry but no. BS rumor is BS rumor.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #367
kasjan
Side-Kick

We already had a lot of Ultimate BS in X-Men movies.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #368
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Isn't the ultimate universe based somewhat off the movies?

Old 07-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #369
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Yep.Mark Millar basiclly admitted when he was hired he based ultimate X-Men off the movie which was his only exposure to X-Men at the time.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #370
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I enjoyed his Ultimate X-Men stories.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 07-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #371
AndrewGilkison
Side-Kick

Quote:

It was awesome. Much darker and nastier than previous films, and even though the trailers don't suggest it, there are nice stretches of story between all of those action scenes. It's actually really funny too.

That kind of reminds me of that one episode of Highlander The Series, titled The Samurai, where a Scottish barbaric Duncan McCloud gets shipwrecked to ancient Japan and the daughter of a Japanese man who takes him in forces him to do the same thing.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:38 AM   #372
Old Wolverine
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Englishman View Post
I love this. The Brown and Tan is my favorite and I wish they would do a brown and tan version of the X-Force costume.
looks like the Brown and Tan returns in movie form for his costume in DOFP as the old Wolverine

Your wish comes true in a way.

Last edited by Old Wolverine; 07-25-2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #373
antonydelfini
Captain's Orders

Quote:
Oh, I can't wait to go. I'm trying to get people to come with me even though some aren't big fans of the X franchise after X3.

Sounds great. I'm hoping it finally feels like the dark and violent Wolverine they've always teased and never actually showed, as dark as violent as you can get with PG-13.

Haaaaa! Naked Wolverine being bathed? If that doesn't sell tickets, nothing will.

felt like r18 honestly

Old 07-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #374
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

For the haters or naysayers of Wolverine!

Go watch The Wolverine! You will appreciate him more!

And Hugh Jackman did his best!

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 07-26-2013, 02:10 AM   #375
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

My TW review:
Ok, so... where to begin... I think I'll just go with the MoS structure.

Direction: Magold is a master at what he does. And that's creating tension and having it followed by relaxed, real character moments. And this movie is full of that, up until the climax. Even though the climax requires OTT action, I'd say he holds hiw own pretty well. But he gets to do quite a few Mangold-isms, which is a good thing, the guy always has been a hell of a director.

Story: Really strong one, I must say. This is a deconstruction, much more than what IM3 claims to be. They share some similarities (2012-13 are the years of fall-rise, it seems), but TW actually bothers to deal with them. And the fact that they set it in Japan, other than paying tribute to the Wolverine comics, drives the point home.

Screenplay: Very very good. Aside from a couple misplaced one-liners, the dialogues work, they develop most of the characters and, even though you might foresee a couple twists coming, it's tight and it serves the narrative. Humor's great, too. Hugh helps in that respect, but the jokes are mostly well-placed, not OTT and actually add to the character development. That was refreshing!

Characters: Well, I felt Shingen was a bit wasted, but that's mainly because of my preconceptions of the actor that was playing him. Yukio was a show-stealer. Viper wasn't as annoying as I thought she would be. She was certainly out of place compared to the rest, though. Mariko was one of the best love interests in a CBM. Yashida was one of the better villains this and every year. I actually liked Harada's purpose and function in the movie. Jean was a welcome addition as Logan's guilt incarnate (and nothing more, this isn't Jean's ghost, people) and is basically the driving force of the movie. And Wolverine... well... I don't want to say much, but this WAS Wolverine. Finally. They got him right. The cussing (even if it's light), the ferocity, the demeanor, the attitude, the physicality. I'm glad. GLAD.

Themes: It's a story about generations, about selfishness and selflessness, about ninjas and samurais, about letting go of the past and the pain, about what REALLY makes a person what he/she is. You'll notice some similarities to TDKR and it deals with some of them in a (imo) more satisfying way than that movie. Not all of them hit home, though, hence my not perfect scoring of TW.

Performances: Ah, Hugh, Hugh, Hugh. You ARE the Wolverine, height be damned. This isn't a case of Keaton or RDJ, this is a guy who loves the character and tries to give and give and give in every movie he stars as Logan. He reinvents himself and his performance. Honestly, I didn't find any weak performance in the film, considering what everyone had to do in it. Even Svetlana as Viper was appropriate and was wisely and visibly toned down by Mangold to fit the movie.

Cinematography: Other than the fact that it's digital, it's a beautiful movie. I can't help but imagine how much more beautiful it would've been had it been shot in film. Still, it captures Japan really well.

Music: Show-stealer. Marco's come a long way since his Scream days. Reflective, esoteric, with action cues that belong to an action thriller. This movie has the definitive Wolverine theme for me. And it's not "heroic". It's hopeful, with an underlying sense of tragedy. A very fresh addition to the franchise. One of the best parts of the movie for me.

Action: Look, kids, you can see what's going on in this movie! And the action works, wait for it... because yiou care for the damn characters, too! But seriously, the set pieces are quite good and it was refreshing to see more personal and toned down battles, as opposed to grander and more epic. Those are my favorite kind, anyway, so it's all good. Although, the ninja "fight" was cut down as hell. I'm sure the Extended Edition will do it justice, though. The trailers tease something far bigger than we got.

CGI: Stellar, for the most part. The opening scene is haunting.

Editing: Solid. More than solid. It serves the story and does justice to performances. The movie breathes where it has to and has tension where it needs it. Edited like a thriller rather than a CBM movie.

Overall: I love it. It doesn't have peaks or moments that make you go "HOLY ****, WHAT DID I JUST WITNESS, RAPEMENOWOMG!", but it was balanced, it developed its characters well, it had a believable and sweet romance, it drove most its points home, it was respectful to the characters and the audience, it had its fair share of action. Even the climax wasn't as OTT as I feared, because it was in line with the rest of the movie, thematically and character-wise. Same goes for Viper. I can see Poison Ivy comparisons, but only conceptually. Otherwise, not even damn close. I, uh... this is a special movie to me now.
As for the mid credit scene? It was like loving chocolate, and getting a cake you thought only has chocolate icing, only to discover it's full of chocolate! It's cemented X-DoFP as my most anticipated movie next year AND it made me care because of the entire character arc for Logan in TW. Where this movie leaves him... he's ready to be what X-DoFP needs him to be. And it was very nice to hear his TW theme play over that scene, where he gets to interact with X and Magneto. It was beautiful and helps connect the movies. Beautiful.

A SOLID 8/10 (will watch a 2nd time just to let this all sink more in me)

X2
TW
XFC
X1
X3
XMOW

Closed Thread