The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 01:05 AM   #101
Kryptonian Titan
Banned User

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreth View Post
yep, but it's only a matter of time until someone starts complaining that they're turning him into Batman.
LOL. Sadly, this is true.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:06 AM   #102
Bran-El
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

One thing I've learned about complainers they don't need help. They get there just fine on their own.

Seriously speaking, I get what you're saying.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:11 AM   #103
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreth View Post
yep, but it's only a matter of time until someone starts complaining that they're turning him into Batman.
I'm not complaining about the tone of the movie, just that these idiots feel the need to darken everything and drain the color out of everything. If it doesn't reflect the visual style of the movie, why do it? Do they hate color that much?

Old 05-09-2013, 01:14 AM   #104
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I'm still hoping that we get a large scale "battlefield" type of scene, either on Krypton or on Earth, in MOS since I do think that there are places that it could happen. I've been waiting to see some type of large scale "war-like" film within a superhero film done properly since I haven't seen one imho so far.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:22 AM   #105
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
I'm not complaining about the tone of the movie, just that these idiots feel the need to darken everything and drain the color out of everything. If it doesn't reflect the visual style of the movie, why do it? Do they hate color that much?

Old 05-09-2013, 01:28 AM   #106
Astrodust
Side-Kick

I actually like the greyish blue look. From the trailers it fits into that world just fine. And it does brighten up in some shots. From the tone of the film I don't think you can go too light for the blue. Most important part is that it looks great it the trailers.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:29 AM   #107
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Quote:
thats how i feel most of the time... with the past two movies, it's as if they hate to use color

Old 05-09-2013, 01:31 AM   #108
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodust View Post
I actually like the greyish blue look. From the trailers it fits into that world just fine. And it does brighten up in some shots. From the tone of the film I don't think you can go too light for the blue. Most important part is that it looks great it the trailers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
thats how i feel most of the time... with the past two movies, it's as if they hate to use color
Yeah I'm still rubbing my head on what kind of color tone they'll go for the final product since the color tones used for the first and second theatrical trailer are different. The first one drained out so much of the color that I could turn on the saturation to the highest and it would only then look "normal" while I didn't have to do nearly as much for the second trailer.

Hell I wish that they'd take one page out of Michael Bay's Transformers films (especially since the DP for MOS also filmed Transformer 3) when it comes to the strong colors that they used for their film.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:56 AM   #109
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodust View Post
In these calendar pics, it's grayish gray.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:00 AM   #110
ModusPonens
Side-Kick

Quote:
meh. hyperbolic hyperbole is hyperbolic.

It's greyish-blue, or blueish-grey, but certainly not greyish-grey. It looks metallic to me, and I assume that's the goal.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:03 AM   #111
Astrodust
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm going by the trailers which looks quite balanced with the look of the film. To brighten the suit they would have to brighten the rest of the film.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:05 AM   #112
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

I'm not saying the suit is gray, just these godforsaken calendar pics of it.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #113
Astrodust
Side-Kick

It's only a calendar. Let's just look forward to the positive points of the film.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #114
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

I think the drained out colour tones are this films version of JJ abrams lens flare. That sort of method of grounding whatever craziness is on screen. Some people won't like it, but whatever...it's useless to look at that and go "wait that's not what superman is supposed to be" as far as i know, superman is far more than bright colours.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 05-09-2013, 02:11 AM   #115
ModusPonens
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm not saying the suit is gray, just these godforsaken calendar pics of it.
Whoever edited the calendars certainly made the suit look greyer than in other official pictures. I'm curious to see what the final product will look like in the film. Judging by the trailers, I think the suit will look blue enough.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:13 AM   #116
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

It sort of reminds me of the Smallville episode in which Clark is transported to a parallel Earth where Superman was raised by Lionel Luthor. It was a much bleaker and very desaturated looking version of the mainstream Smallville universe.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 05-09-2013, 04:45 AM   #117
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
It sort of reminds me of the Smallville episode in which Clark is transported to a parallel Earth where Superman was raised by Lionel Luthor. It was a much bleaker and very desaturated looking version of the mainstream Smallville universe.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I thought that was a great episode.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 05-09-2013, 04:59 AM   #118
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I thought that was a great episode.
Indeed. As flawed as Smallville was in certain aspects, the show had some great moments.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:33 AM   #119
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Indeed. As flawed as Smallville was in certain aspects, the show had some great moments.
Oh definitely, I'm a big fan of the show. I think it gets a lot of flack that it doesn't really deserve. Its hard to make interesting TV especially when everyone already knows what the end goal is. And people who say it lasted too long are right but they need to realise TV isn't just there to entertain it also brings money to the networks etc and the show remained popular throughout that's why it lasted so long.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 05-09-2013, 05:54 AM   #120
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Oh definitely, I'm a big fan of the show. I think it gets a lot of flack that it doesn't really deserve. Its hard to make interesting TV especially when everyone already knows what the end goal is. And people who say it lasted too long are right but they need to realise TV isn't just there to entertain it also brings money to the networks etc and the show remained popular throughout that's why it lasted so long.
I'm glad it lasted as long as it did. I imagine that some people felt it look too many liberties from the original source material, but, when you think about it, most comic-to-film adaptations do that to some extent. From the start, I kind of accepted that Smallville was a different take on Superman -- kind of like an Elseworlds story. The only problems I really had with the show were the tiresome "meteor freak of the week" episodes in the early seasons and the finales that sometimes failed to deliver.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #121
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Just got out of Star Trek...Holy S***, MoS has it's work cut out this summer.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 05-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #122
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
I'm glad it lasted as long as it did. I imagine that some people felt it look too many liberties from the original source material, but, when you think about it, most comic-to-film adaptations do that to some extent. From the start, I kind of accepted that Smallville was a different take on Superman -- kind of like an Elseworlds story. The only problems I really had with the show were the tiresome "meteor freak of the week" episodes in the early seasons and the finales that sometimes failed to deliver.
My problem with Smallville was pretty much the network it's on. The WB/CW has it's own style of show with nerdy white rock, people who look too good for the setting and ending each episode with some romantic faux-deep moment. It was just tiresome.

I still think series 2, 3 and 5 were damn near perfect superhero television though. The rest i'd easily drop like a bad habit.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #123
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Just back from seeing Star Trek Into Darkness and that is the movie for Man of Steel to beat this Summer it seems. It betters Iron Man 3 I think, especially in terms of scale.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #124
Smallville13
Side-Kick

STID into darkness made a big point about 'playing god' and changing the destiny of another entire civilization by interfering with them. All I can say is I hope Jor-El has some good reasoning. Other than 'they won't be able to kill him there because he'll be a god'. It's a fairly hot potato.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #125
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Just back from seeing Star Trek Into Darkness and that is the movie for Man of Steel to beat this Summer it seems. It betters Iron Man 3 I think, especially in terms of scale.
agreed.

Closed Thread