All Mighty

Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness Falls View Post
major spoiler
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
the villain is Khan
Does the plot give a good reason? And above all, is the character well portrayed and interesting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #52
johnrain
Side-Kick

Why does Khan go to the Klingon homeworld?

Last edited by The Sage; 05-11-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #53
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Spoiler tags, please.

**** please, spoiler tags now.

Last edited by terry78; 05-11-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #54
QBComics
Side-Kick

Please don't quote it, either. Dammit, so much for that. :/

Old 05-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #55
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

Folks, the movie is not out for everyone yet. Spoiler tags, please. Be considerate towards everyone. It's not difficult, and it isn't asking too much.

Warnings and infractions will handed out to people who don't use the tags.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #56
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
Folks, the movie is not out for everyone yet. Spoiler tags, please. Be considerate towards everyone. It's not difficult, and it isn't asking too much.

Warnings and infractions will handed out to people who don't use the tags.
Thank you Sage!!!

~Agents of SHIELD
Old 05-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #57
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

I understand he probabaly doesnt, but does BC have some humor in the movie?

Old 05-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #58
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
I understand he probabaly doesnt, but does BC have some humor in the movie?
There's one funny reaction he gives to Kirk at one point.

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

Old 05-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #59
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Cumberbatch only smiles when he's destroyed every fiber of your being. That is all he finds humorous.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #60
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Saw this the other day, it's quite good.

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Old 05-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #61
Enriquespy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Cumberbatch only smiles when he's destroyed every fiber of your being. That is all he finds humorous.

Also, never make Spock angry.

Or DO make him angry, it's awesome when he is angry.

"Evening, Commmmmmmmmmmmmmmissionerrrrrrrr"

Old 05-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #62
Angelus_Darko
Derriere extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrain View Post
Why does Khan go to the Klingon homeworld?
Well

Right after he attacks the Starfleet meeting, he goes to Kronos to give an excuse to Admiral Marcus so that there can be an attack against the Klingons, starting a war with them. At first, Kirk only thinks that he went there to hide, taking advantage of the critical relation between Starfleet and the Klingons.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #63
FreeRadical
HAIL HYDRA!

Just saw the film, and...

Khan? Really? If John Harrison was one of the other 72 it would have made more sense. The film didn't even mention if he had any genetic/plastic surgery to change his identity.

The Enterprise reactor part was a word to word re-enactment of the Kirk/Spock scene from The Wrath of Khan. When Kirk knocked Scotty out and went into the reactor room, I knew what was going to happen. Paramount wouldn't have the guts to have Kirk killed off, especially after the backlash after Star Trek Generations. But why was Khan's blood needed to save Kirk when there were 72 other supersoldiers with the same type of blood. Kirk was also dead for a long time...does that mean super-soldier blood can revive the dead? It doesn't make sense!

Liked some of the references e.g Marcus's table with the old ships, including the Phoenix and NX-01. Section 31 was also mentioned (speaking of Section 31, it was weird to hear the group mentioned so casually when in DS9, no one, even the higher ups at Starfleet knew who they were).

The crew had lots to do, especially McCoy, Scotty and Carol Marcus. There was also the foreshadowing of Sulu getting his own command in the future.

The warp core looked like a high tech science lab, i.e like a smaller Hadron Collider.

So it's Kronos now, not Qo'nos.

How can transporter technology make Khan transport from Earth to Qo'nos (Kronos)? Scotty was able to do it in the last film from Delta Vega to the Enterprise, but between two star systems? What's the point of Starships! And Kirk on the Enterprise near Qo'nos being able to call Scotty in a San Francisco nightclub via communicator? Crazy.

Does Starfleet in this universe not have enough defences? It's like any ship can enter the Federation's home planet easily. The Vengeance could have been destroyed before it reached Earth, and the Enterprise could have been prevented from falling through Earth's atmosphere via some tractor beams from the starships ported around Earth's Spacedock.

Spock Prime just turns up out of no where. I never thought the writers would do it, getting Nu Spock to ask for Spock Prime for advice about future events, e.g Khan, but he does.

Last edited by FreeRadical; 05-11-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #64
TDK010
Join me in the sun

Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Absolutely loved the movie. Best movie of the year so far without a doubt.

Two biggest strengths for me:

1. The emotional aspects of the plot. I really genuinely cared what happened to all of them, and understood their motivations. Something that is sadly lacking in a lot of movies lately.
2. Cumberbatch. Was. Brilliant.

Great pacing, balance of lightness without dipping too far into comedy, beautiful shots, and the action was great and on an epic scale

9/10 from me!
I agree. The emotional scenes really grabbed me and I'm not afraid to say I choked up at certain points.
Great acting all round. Special mentions for Cumberbatch, Quinto and especially Pine.
I thought this one was far more serious than the first Trek with just the right amount of comedy.
Have a few small grips as a longtime Trek fan but not enough to significantly hurt the movie.

A solid 8/10 from me.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #65
FreeRadical
HAIL HYDRA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
DOes it take place during the five year mission?
No. The five year mission starts a year after the events of Into Darkness.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:29 AM   #66
Silvermoth
Avenger

I really enjoyed myself but I thought the ending could have done with a bit of work. It was over so quickly especially after so many epic scenes!

Cumberbatch was amazing!

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Old 05-12-2013, 02:30 AM   #67
tek
Side-Kick

really enjoyed this. the first half hour was slowish but once the villian is introduced it steps up. Not as good as the first for me but the villian was fantastic. i liked how it mirrored an earlier star trek movie to some extent. Spock was badass!

Old 05-12-2013, 03:47 AM   #68
Super Kal
Side-Kick

so looking forward to this movie next week... its killing me to not look at the spoilers

Old 05-12-2013, 05:45 AM   #69
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
so looking forward to this movie next week... its killing me to not look at the spoilers
Don't Look!!!!!!!

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #70
Avangarde
Avan a Good Time

Just got back from the cinema, good grief what a great movie. Now, I've been a Trek fan for many many years and despite some minor holes, it does the franchise very well. Still not sure about taking The Wrath of Khan and mirroring it in some places, but I guess it being an alternate universe, there is probability in the events that took place. The thing that got me excited was the special effects, good lord they are spectacular. The 3D gives the Enterprise so much depth both exterior and interior. The scope of the ship is amazing when it slowly pans in over the saucer into the bridge window, and engineering it really feels like the Enterprise is a ship that really could be built by humans in the future. Absolutely stunning movie, great fun. I'll be going back for multiple viewings, pretty sure I missed some stuff in there what with its fast pace.

10/10 Boom!

XBOX ONE
Stiffbiscuitz
Old 05-13-2013, 06:14 AM   #71
thestartrekker
Side-Kick

Anyone who hasn't seen it, and doesn't want to know don't read. SPOILERS!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadical View Post
Just saw the film, and...

Khan? Really? If John Harrison was one of the other 72 it would have made more sense. The film didn't even mention if he had any genetic/plastic surgery to change his identity.
I agree, if this is for non-Trekkies, I don't think the average movie goer would have gotten the implications about Khan at all. If it was for Trekkies, I think they've upset a lot of people. I loved the first movie, but this is a step back, and not as good as its predecessor. If you compare this to TWOK, Khan does not have the same presence in this movie, no injustice to Cumberbatch, he does a stellar job, but the script doesn't give him enough.
Ultimately he's a Nero, just fleshed out slightly more.

Quote:
The Enterprise reactor part was a word to word re-enactment of the Kirk/Spock scene from The Wrath of Khan. When Kirk knocked Scotty out and went into the reactor room, I knew what was going to happen. Paramount wouldn't have the guts to have Kirk killed off, especially after the backlash after Star Trek Generations. But why was Khan's blood needed to save Kirk when there were 72 other supersoldiers with the same type of blood. Kirk was also dead for a long time...does that mean super-soldier blood can revive the dead? It doesn't make sense!
My eyes rolled at this point. It was so lame, cheesey and ripped off.
The beauty of the the reboot, was to ditch the old canon, and be able to go in new direction. But no, they had to revisit the most iconic villain, and copy one of the most moving scenes in Trek, any movie or series. It didn't come close to matching it. In fact, Pike's death was by far a superior scene, until Spock got all creepy, seriously, with the mind meld. The real Spock would have had more respect than that. Having come to terms with dying in the opening scene, it doesn't even make sense that he would want to do it.
At least with Vulcan in the first movie, they had the balls not to hit the reset button. How long can someone be dead without brain damage? Kirk was more than a few minutes dead I think. Or, things in the future are looking good, they'll all be immortal effectively.

Quote:
Liked some of the references e.g Marcus's table with the old ships, including the Phoenix and NX-01. Section 31 was also mentioned (speaking of Section 31, it was weird to hear the group mentioned so casually when in DS9, no one, even the higher ups at Starfleet knew who they were).
+1

Quote:
Thecrew had lots to do, especially McCoy, Scotty and Carol Marcus. There was also the foreshadowing of Sulu getting his own command in the future.
Kinda have to disagree. I thought Bones became a bit caricaturish. They laid on the 'I'm a doctor...' far too thick. He was always the heart of the big three, he just comes off as a grumpy old man with no humour or depth.
Scotty is still played for laughs, though he is much better this time around.
We see him as a man of principle, when Kirk accepts his resignation was a great scene.

Quote:
The warp core looked like a high tech science lab, i.e like a smaller Hadron Collider.

So it's Kronos now, not Qo'nos.

How can transporter technology make Khan transport from Earth to Qo'nos (Kronos)? Scotty was able to do it in the last film from Delta Vega to the Enterprise, but between two star systems? What's the point of Starships! And Kirk on the Enterprise near Qo'nos being able to call Scotty in a San Francisco nightclub via communicator? Crazy.
These are the voyages of Transporter Room 1; to boldy beam where no one has beamed before.
Actually, come to think of it, its not even a transporter room, more like a transporter haversack!

Quote:
Does Starfleet in this universe not have enough defences? It's like any ship can enter the Federation's home planet easily. The Vengeance could have been destroyed before it reached Earth, and the Enterprise could have been prevented from falling through Earth's atmosphere via some tractor beams from the starships ported around Earth's Spacedock.
Perennial problem, never seems to be addressed.

Quote:
Spock Prime just turns up out of no where. I never thought the writers would do it, getting Nu Spock to ask for Spock Prime for advice about future events, e.g Khan, but he does.
Lame and pointless cameo. What's worse, he seems to have hit the 'Just for Men' since the last movie, presumably in his attempts to repopulate the species.
[/QUOTE]

Anyone who hasn't seen it, and doesn't want to know don't read. SPOILERS!!
I think your comments are spot on. It's as if the writers don't know anything about the Star Trek Universe. Though the action moved on at a good pace from one sequence to the next, it kind of seemed like they decided they wanted these action scenes and then threaded the story through them. We got to see Klingons, well a Klingon, because the fans wanted it, but they served no purpose for the few minutes they were in the movie. We got a space suit scene, because, as Kirk says, it worked last time around. We got a big bad ship because that worked last time around. We got a Khan imitation because that worked last time around. We get a tribble because we had one last time around.
I'm sorry Mr Quinto but only one person can do.this
The ending and take down of Khan was a bit flat, and everything over too quick.
Could the movies go on without Kirk? Who knows. But I think the revival of Kirks cold corpse should have been left till next time, would leave you wondering. Maybe if Khan got away, the mission could have been to go out and find him, use one of the 72's blood to bring Kirk back at the start of the next one.
The movie is clearly trying its best, but it has non of the emotional resonance of TWOK, and, to be honest, sneaking in more and more swearing seemed a bit forced, and I don't get why they felt the need.
On the upside, at least they're all drinking whiskey this time around instead of Budweiser.

Carol Marcus. What was the point. She got her kit off for giggles but did nothing else. They could have cut her and gave Nurse Chapel a good scene instead if they felt the need for eye-candy, maybe even Yeoman Rand.

I don't know, I was really hooked up until the interrogation reveal, but that was it for me. And where were the Klingons when they were lying dead a mere 20 minutes (sub-warp) from the Klingon home-world, (with what appears as a prematurely exploded Praxis, though I'm not sure it was ever supposed to be around Qo'noS) presumably in the heart of the Klingon Empire? The Dreadnought class is clearly visible in the miniature displays at Admiral Marcus' offices, but its supposed to be a big surprise and no-one knows simple things like warp capability, crew compliment etc.
Still, at least Mudd got a mention.

I left with the feeling that they intended there to be more to the ending, but maybe it ended up on the cutting room floor for some bizzare reason, because that was the weakest part of the weakest half of the movie.
In my humble opinion. I'm off to watch the real Khan movie. Not sure if I'll repeat view this as I did the last one, or invest in the blu-ray. They built up a lot of goodwill the first time around, and even I disagreed with the naysayers, but not this time around I'm afraid.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #72
thestartrekker
Side-Kick

All those torpedoes. 72 of them couldn't take down the Vengeance. But they were going to cause an interstellar war with the Klingons. Not so sure about that. And hell, why even bother going and sitting on the edge of Klingon space and firing them, just beam them in from San Francisco the same way Harrison went.They really didn't get to grips with the technology of the Trek universe in this movie.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #73
DaddlerTheDalek
Starship Captain

I saw it last Thursday. Really Big & Good.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #74
thestartrekker
Side-Kick

I agree that it's good. But I think ST09 was better.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #75
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Been going back this week and rewatching some of my favorite Trek movies and TV episodes in preparation for the new film. I'm really looking forward to this.

I hope that the passage of time doesn't hurt this franchise. They really waited way too long for the sequel to come out. As a general rule of thumb, you should never have more than 3 years pass between sequels, you need to strike while the Iron is hot.

Having said that, I hope that we don't have to wait 4 years for the next one. Abrams will be busy on Star Wars for 2015, but I would hope they could have another Trek by 2016.

If Abrams can't do the next one, I hope they can find another director who will continue J.J. terrific sense of action, and edge of your seat thrill ride.

After rewatching the movies, I have to say there are only 3 Trek movies that really stand out. ST2:TWOK, ST: First Contact, and ST 2009. The other movies the passage of time has not been kind to.