The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Trek > Star Trek Into Darkness

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #951
roach
I am the night

Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

I never said I spoke for everyone. I speak for myself.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 08-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #952
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
What exactly is your point? That only angry friendless nerds on the internet didn't care for it? Because I know a few people "outside of internet-land" that didn't like it. Some of them new Star Trek fans and some of them from way back. However, I'm not about to pretend like I speak for the majority just because I have personal anecdotal evidence that contradicts what you're saying. I would advise you guys do the same.
When did either of us accuse anyone else of being an "angry friendless nerd"?

What I believe we're referring to are certain online writers who've been having a screeching tantrum about this movie for months now. We get it, guys. You didn't like it. But you don't have to remind us on Twitter that "ZOMG, IT SUCKED!!!" every day.

People are certainly allowed not to like it, and I don't presume anything about the friendship statuses of those who don't. I never claimed to speak for any majority other than the majority of people I happen to know...who happened to love the movie. It was just an observation that the meltdown I've seen from certain corners of the internet are nothing like what I've seen outside of it.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #953
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Honest Trailers - Star Trek Into Darkness (feat. HISHE)

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 08-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #954
Alex_Spider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
Honest Trailers - Star Trek Into Darkness (feat. HISHE)

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
lol at the animated short near the end.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #955
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
I never said anything about not getting the new stuff.
And I didn't quote your post or in any way say that I was only talking about your post. I came into a thread where a discussion was being had by several different posters and made a general statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
I'm simply stating many Trekkies are hypocritical and hype up aspects of the show that simply aren't there.
Wasn't me Kemosabe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Spider View Post
I'm surprised no one mentioned anything about the name they chose for the planet of the indigenous tribe in the opening scene of the movie. I mean "Nibiru" is part of a grand mythology and a conspiracy theory that has many followers for many years. Why did they chose such a name?
Hmmmm...why would a science fiction writer put in a science/science fiction reference into a science fiction movie........?

Old 08-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #956
Alex_Spider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Hmmmm...why would a science fiction writer put in a science/science fiction reference into a science fiction movie........?
lol I get what you re saying and I didn't mentioned this on a negative light, it just seemed a bit weird and random to me the name they chose given its mythological significance. Now if there was a direct adaptation of the Nibiru mythos or if it was presented in the opening scene as exactly as this planet is with the advanced civilization and all, then it would make more sense. But as I said that was the least of my problems I had with this movie.

Last edited by Alex_Spider; 08-20-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #957
Randal Graves
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Spider View Post
I'm surprised no one mentioned anything about the name they chose for the planet of the indigenous tribe in the opening scene of the movie. I mean "Nibiru" is part of a grand mythology and a conspiracy theory that has many followers for many years. Why did they chose such a name?

http://www.altheadlines.com/nibiru-planet-x-13249127/
Because Roberto Orci thinks everything is a conspiracy. He posts crazy stuff on Twitter all the time. (He was already saying the Boston Bombing was a conspiracy 5 minutes after it happened.)

Old 08-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #958
roach
I am the night

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0..._hp_ref=movies

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 08-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #959
dark_b
Side-Kick

you know the actor is desperate when he starts talking about how much money it made when defending a movie.story and characters. thats the only thing he should talk when defending his movie.

and i like Pegg. but the guy needs to remember that he is a geek. so like he for 20 years talked with his friends about scifi movies and nitpicked every detail so are others now doing for his movie.

Last edited by dark_b; 08-22-2013 at 05:40 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #960
StarLord
Legendary Outlaw...

He's right. It's not the worst Star Trek movie.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #961
dark_b
Side-Kick

thats his opinion. if there are 4 humans on this planet that think this is the worst ST movei or even the worst movie of all the time they are right. its their opinion.

the problem is of course fanboys and geeks. who think about this almost everyweek. he is part of them.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #962
roach
I am the night

Just because he is a geek doesn't mean he has to agree with their assessment. I am a geek and I don't agree that this is the worst Star Trek film ever. Yes it is an opinion...just like it is his (and mine) opinion that they are wrong.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #963
kguillou
Side-Kick

So has anyone bought this on digital download yet? I'm debating whether to do that or wait for the actual blu ray to come out. Its tempting getting to watch the film 3 weeks in advance though. lol

Old 08-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #964
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
Just because he is a geek doesn't mean he has to agree with their assessment. I am a geek and I don't agree that this is the worst Star Trek film ever. Yes it is an opinion...just like it is his (and mine) opinion that they are wrong.
he doesnt have to agree with the opinion. but he said ''f... you'' . thats not right since he is also a geek who nitpicked about scifi movies his whole life.

he also used the boxoffice which is pathetic. you dont defend your movie with how much money it made.

everything i wrotte is true. there is no opinion here. he is WRONG by saying f... you to the fans who dont like the movie.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #965
bunk
superhero fan

He gets to say "eff you" whenever he wants for his entire life. It doesn't make any difference what his position or status is at a given time.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #966
dark_b
Side-Kick

if Bay and Ratner would say f. you to the people who dont like their movie. would it be the same? would all laugh like when Pegg did it? this is hypocrisy.

like Devin Faraci poor guy. he hates ST2 and likes Simon Pegg. if any other actor would say this he would have a long article bashing him. but since its Pegg he will ignore ir.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #967
bunk
superhero fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
if Bay and Ratner would say f. you to the people who dont like their movie. would it be the same? would all laugh like when Pegg did it? this is hypocrisy.

like Devin Faraci poor guy. he hates ST2 and likes Simon Pegg. if any other actor would say this he would have a long article bashing him. but since its Pegg he will ignore ir.
Obviously it wouldn't be the same, since Bay isn't known to have a sense of humor. With Pegg you know he's just stirring up crap, because it's a funny thing to do. Also I think you're getting hypocrisy confused with "double standard." It could be a double standard, but that's one of the benefits of being a likable human being. Give me an example of a pre-fame Pegg saying something to the effect that performers should keep their mouths shut about criticism, and I'll agree he's a hypocrite.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #968
Alex_Spider
Side-Kick

Quote:
he doesnt have to agree with the opinion. but he said ''f... you'' . thats not right since he is also a geek who nitpicked about scifi movies his whole life.

he also used the boxoffice which is pathetic. you dont defend your movie with how much money it made.

everything i wrotte is true. there is no opinion here. he is WRONG by saying f... you to the fans who dont like the movie.
Quote:

Good points. And for Christ's sake, Bayformers 2 and 3 made a tons of money being a complete garbage. It doesn't matter how well a movie performs in box-office. Period.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #969
roach
I am the night

Actually BO proves that more people liked it than disliked it.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #970
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:

And the 'fans' who do things like troll Lindelof's twitter whining like screaming children because they didn't like the movie? That happened plenty. And they can't complain when the nastiness gets dished right back at them.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:06 AM   #971
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
And the 'fans' who do things like troll Lindelof's twitter whining like screaming children because they didn't like the movie? That happened plenty. And they can't complain when the nastiness gets dished right back at them.
Pegg wasn't cursing at fans who were mean to him or anyone associated with STD on Twitter. (Oh, woes! People are being mean on the Internet! ) He was saying "F--- you!" because of a poll taken at a Star Trek convention where only 100 fans attending a panel discussion debated where to rank the film. This wasn't some huge, earth-shattering dis from all fans of the original series. It was just a small group of people at a con having fun ranking movies as they saw fit. It's wrong to lump them in with people who trolled Lindelof or any other group he believes deserves to be cursed at because of their opinions of STD. Pegg reportedly works in the entertainment industry so he should have thicker skin than that, not to mention more professionalism.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #972
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
Actually BO proves that more people liked it than disliked it.
As much as I don't always like to admit it it is true. I know plenty of people who say "I love the the Transformers movies!" Not mentioning kids...

Old 08-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #973
roach
I am the night

as much as we like to saw BO doesn't measure quality...it does measure if the GA likes something

Old 08-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #974
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Is Simon Pegg really surprise that people that have actually seen and enjoy the Wrath of Kahn dislike a movie whose climax relies on aping the climax of that film beat for beat but without the context that made it work? Really? He's shocked by this? I mean, it is certainly silly to call it the worst, the lack of effort that went into the effects in Star Trek 5 as well as the general shoddiness of that film easily makes it the worst but that doesn't change the fact that STID is pretty damn mediorcre in several respects. I agree with him that a lot of effort from very talented people went into the newest film, which only exacerbates my disappointment with the entire second of half of the movie. The 3rd act in particular is very similar to a gag from Pegg's own Spaced, which often played on the beats of other movies and shows as source of humor, except in this case it was self parody and I was literally laughing by the time of Spock's outburst.

Also, Star Trek fans don't like when Star Trek is popular? Really? TNG was the highest rated syndicated show for years, during its first run and after.

Last edited by redhawk23; 08-25-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #975
Visceral
Side-Kick

Say what you will about the film, Abrams Kirk has become one of my favorite characters, he is like a red bull maverick generation X version of han solo.

I like that when he is having the"kirk sandwich" with the cat girls, the music playing is beastie boys to continue his characterization from the first one where he crashes his stepfathers corvette wile listening to sabotage.

favorite archtype.

Someone on this message board had sex with my dog
Closed Thread