The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #51
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
They are definitely there and that is part of the problem. This is supposed to be a new Superman for a new generation - homages to the old model in the film's marketing is not wise.

Not sure if serious.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #52
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
They are definitely there and that is part of the problem. This is supposed to be a new Superman for a new generation - homages to the old model in the film's marketing is not wise.
Yes, because TDKT's homages to Burton's films had a negative impact.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 05-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #53
Lone
Level 70 Social Leper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMonk View Post
In the latest spot, we can see a number of baddies from Krypton..with one oversized goon near Zod.

How does Superman deal with so many Kryptonians?

Any ideas..speculations..thoughts?
With his fists.

I like how people complain about the five thousand or so lives lost in MOS while totally ignoring the seven billion one hundred twenty-four million nine hundred ninety-five thousand other people Superman saved by taking out the World Engine.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #54
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I know I'm going to get killed for this but I think that Whedon still has some T.V director sensibilities. This isn't a prop up Man of Steel post, I said the same thing in the Avengers thread.

I like Whedon though and I liked a lot about certain moments during the Avengers action sequence at the end. Snyder has his faults as well but he isn't even slightly a T.V director.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:59 PM   #55
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian God View Post
But most of this new generation has absolutely no idea that this is similar to a poster of a 30 year old movie.
I dunno about that. That poster was used as the basis for most versions of the DVD cover. That's how I know it. From my local video stores where you will still find it on the shelves for rent. I dunno, maybe you are right and I am being overly sensitive because of all the crazy criticisms that keep popping up on here about this or that in MOS being a rehash of Superman I&II or Returns.

However, I will say that I really do like the brightness of the recent posters and banners. It should help MoS's posters stand out on theater walls plastered with dark, foreboding, and destruction filled posters for other summer blockbusters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Yes, because TDKT's homages to Burton's films had a negative impact.
There is a difference between having a subtle homage in the film itself and making homages to the past series in the general marketing for the movie. Also, how did Singer's giant love letter to the Donner films work out for Warner Brothers? (see we can both arrogantly make poor analogies to vastly different situations)

Last edited by DKDetective; 05-11-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:18 AM   #56
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
There is a difference between having a subtle homage in the film itself and making homages to the past series in the general marketing for the movie. Also, how did Singer's giant love letter to the Donner films work out for Warner Brothers? (see we can both arrogantly make poor analogies to vastly different situations)
There's nothing blunt about the marketing. You're overreacting just like those fanboys who thought Nolan was ripping off Burton. In the end, was TDKT a love letter to Burton's Batman series? No. So, in essence, your concern doesn't really hold significance. No casual fan will relate to the '79 film anyway.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Old 05-11-2013, 12:34 AM   #57
DKDetective

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
There's nothing blunt about the marketing. You're overreacting just like those fanboys who thought Nolan was ripping off Burton. In the end, was TDKT a love letter to Burton's Batman series? No. So, in essence, your concern doesn't really hold significance. No casual fan will relate to the '79 film anyway.
How am I overreacting? I never said it would actually affect anything or say that the poster is proof that the movie itself is ripping off Donner. All I said was that callbacks to the past in the marketing aren't the best idea when trying to sell something as new and fresh and never seen before. That is a fairly common sense proposition. You are the one who took one little complaint way too seriously and blew it out of proportion.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:48 AM   #58
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

The posters were disappointing. I guess our best images will be from Walmart and cereal boxes!

Old 05-11-2013, 01:06 AM   #59
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
How am I overreacting? I never said it would actually affect anything or say that the poster is proof that the movie itself is ripping off Donner. All I said was that callbacks to the past in the marketing aren't the best idea when trying to sell something as new and fresh and never seen before. That is a fairly common sense proposition. You are the one who took one little complaint way too seriously and blew it out of proportion.
Even if this isn't a coincidence, 90% of those in the general audience will attribute the material to being new and fresh simply because 1979 was a lifetime ago.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-11-2013, 01:07 AM   #60
Booznian
The Return

Sorry if I'm a little late on this one but could someone please elaborate on Superman's suit? The suite looks different in most of the images that I've looked at. In some of the set images the suit is blue, whereas other promotional materials the suit looks desaturated. In set photos there is yellow in the shield while the promotional posters have shown just red and no yellow in the shield. Anybody know why exactly?

Old 05-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #61
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
I agree about the Avengers comments. It did feel a bit TV movie at points.
I think it was just cool to see all the heroes together at once. Avengers has not been all that rewatchable for this reason. It feels a bit formulatic and at times has a tv feel.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:29 AM   #62
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
Snyder is trying to break the news gently to poor Singer of why SR underperformed:

?? wait is that ?? Looks like Brian Singer in a Star Trek costume or something.

"Sure thing kiddo, I'll just keep pretending to put food in your mouth and clothes on your gorram back"
Old 05-11-2013, 01:31 AM   #63
DKDetective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Nolanite View Post
?? wait is that ?? Looks like Brian Singer in a Star Trek costume or something.
Yeah, he had a cameo in one of the TNG movies.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:54 AM   #64
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ He had to change shirts from crying too much on them. But when I watch SR, I feel bad for everybody involved. Singer's writers, for knowing how far they fell from their acclaimed X-men movies, Singer himself, Routh, Parker Posey in a surprising unattractive role, Superman comics fans, Donner fans who watched the series' tone change from optimism to bleakness, etc. And Supes had his masculinity airbrushed away.

I do like the part when Clark plays fetch with the dog. That was cute.

Last edited by TheFlamingCoco; 05-11-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:07 AM   #65
Kryptonian Warrior
In Snyder I Trust

Quote:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

The posters were disappointing. I guess our best images will be from Walmart and cereal boxes!
Question.....Were you planning on buying these posters?

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Old 05-11-2013, 02:17 AM   #66
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

I'd as soon print out a good fan made one. But if I bought one, it would be this:

Old 05-11-2013, 02:20 AM   #67
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Coco, none of your videos are viewable.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:24 AM   #68
DKDetective

Quote:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI

Coco, just put the bolded part in the youtube brackets. You don't need the rest of the URL. That is why your videos never work.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:06 AM   #69
elgaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Also when I looked at this image, I gasped aloud

Everything, except MAYBE the eyes are a living recreation of Lee's art. From the medium-sized lips, to the thin cheeks and STRONG jawline, this pose is like a comic come to life. I might need a change of pants when the movie's done
I love this image too. The people behind him are squinting and cowering looking scared, but Clark is standing there with the chest puffed out and a steely look of determination as if to say "bring it on!"

Old 05-11-2013, 04:26 AM   #70
Megalith
Banned User

I don't get the hate for the direction in Avengers. Did it feel like a TV show to some because it was shot in 16:10? I can only wish Man of Steel was shot in 16:10; the whole "16:9 being more epic" is hogwash.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:30 AM   #71
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I loved Avengers, some people just have to piss on stuff cause its this DC vs Marvel mentality that I just don't get

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 05-11-2013, 05:55 AM   #72
Rhonimus
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
I think it was just cool to see all the heroes together at once. Avengers has not been all that rewatchable for this reason. It feels a bit formulatic and at times has a tv feel.
lmfao .. from the comments on the MoS UK tv spot on Youtube:

Tony Stark: "We have a Hulk."

Superman: "That's cute."

Old 05-11-2013, 06:02 AM   #73
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I loved Avengers, some people just have to piss on stuff cause its this DC vs Marvel mentality that I just don't get
Some people just can't seem to praise without putting something else down.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:51 AM   #74
reimius

Russell Crowe confirms in his twitter that he has seen the movie today. https://twitter.com/russellcrowe/sta...80162533359616

Old 05-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #75
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Thanks guys.

Zod hates the land of Waldo imposters.

Last edited by TheFlamingCoco; 05-11-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Closed Thread