The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #51
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
None of that falls in the idea of "badass". Batman hanging someone upside down, threatening their life while screaming pray to me is badass.

Hrmm, both of these situations seem awfully similar to your "batman hanging a guy upside down" definition of badass.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #52
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Your objection to my use of "bad ass mofo" is utterly confusing to me Darth.

Superman can be both a Boy Scout and badass, people are not just one thing.

You'd have him just yell on the street about "the people!" while not attacking the Supervillian Quest for Peace style?

Old 05-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #53
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
Yeah, to you. Slang is open to interpretation. Superman punching aliens and shooting lasers out his eyes can be easily called badass. You're being needlessly anal about an generic word.
As the kid who actually grew up preferring Luke Skywalker to Han Solo and Superman to Batman, I am going to go with no.

And terms are only generic if you chose to use them as so. Epic enough for ya?

Old 05-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #54
ModusPonens
Side-Kick

Quote:
In no way does that describe Kal-El, Clark Kent or Superman.
This scene respectfully disagrees with you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U80Z...youtu.be&t=27s

This one, too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoJ2B...youtu.be&t=57s

There have been innumerable versions of Superman, Clark Kent, and Kal-El. While the version you love the most might not be a badass, that doesn't mean other people aren't entitled to wanting Supes to be badass. I roll my eyes whenever someone clings so hard to a specific adaptation of a fictional character that they refuse to allow others to endorse other adaptations.

Also:
Quote:
Badass implies an attitude of some sort or even a mean streak.
Not only are there multiple versions of Superman, but there are also multiple meanings to the phrase "badass mofo." It wasn't in the Oxford dictionary last time I checked. Who are you to force a specific meaning into another person's mouth? When ISEESPIDEY used that phrase, no "mean streak" was mentioned. While you may have interpreted it that way, I certainly did not. I imagined a serious Superman, focused and ready to face Zod with full force.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #55
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
AAnd terms are only generic if you chose to use them as so. Epic enough for ya?
Well, it would have to be a term in the first place. Badass is not a term and never was. It's slang. Also, words have multiple definitions/usages. Amazing you don't know that.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #56
Ditchers
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post

You'd have him just yell on the street about "the people!" while not attacking the Supervillian Quest for Peace style?

Old 05-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #57
DoomsdayApex
Ęzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #58
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post

Hrmm, both of these situations seem awfully similar to your "batman hanging a guy upside down" definition of badass.
He specific avoids threatening the man's life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModusPonens View Post
This scene respectfully disagrees with you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U80Z...youtu.be&t=27s

This one, too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoJ2B...youtu.be&t=57s

There have been innumerable versions of Superman, Clark Kent, and Kal-El. While the version you love the most might not be a badass, that doesn't mean other people aren't entitled to wanting Supes to be badass. I roll my eyes whenever someone clings so hard to a specific adaptation of a fictional character that they refuse to allow others to endorse other adaptations.

Also:

Not only are there multiple versions of Superman, but there are also multiple meanings to the phrase "badass mofo." It wasn't in the Oxford dictionary last time I checked. Who are you to force a specific meaning into another person's mouth? When ISEESPIDEY used that phrase, no "mean streak" was mentioned. While you may have interpreted it that way, I certainly did not. I imagined a serious Superman, focused and ready to face Zod with full force.
Don't know if this official or not.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/defini...adass?q=badass

Though given this definition Superman's actions can be badass, but I most definitely wouldn't describe him as badass.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #59
WoodyROM
Side-Kick

While you guys argue about the use of slang terms in the english language, I believe I'll watch the THREE tv spots we got today; because they are BA!

Romans 8:38-39
Old 05-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #60
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Yep badass is a slang term that my semi young self likes to use. It's not the most intelligent word in my vocabulary but I'm not writing a thesis, I'm talking about a freakin Superhero in a movie.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #61
DaJanksta
Henry Cavill's chest hair

Want to stick around and look for more tv spots but cute girl wants to go to a bar for drinks...

I'll just be on my phone looking in the hype for links muahahahaha!

Old 05-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #62
TheNextNolan22
A Man Called Sting

Hi.

Stop all this positive thinking. Only negativity is allowed in here.
When it comes to Superman.....Make mine CAVILL
Dats dat.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #63
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post

There is a big difference between the guy who walks softly while carrying a big stick. The guy who says please and thank you, and drops his baddies off at the prison instead of decapitating them.

Han Solo doesn't shoot first, he just shoots. Luke Skywalker throws his saber to the ground and "lets go".

Old 05-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #64
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-El View Post
To me, the script made him a peeping tom, out of wedlock father, and a sniveling wimp.
I felt so bad watching him get DESTROYED by Luthor and his goons. It was almost akin to watching a torture scene on Game of Thrones!

Old 05-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #65
Jim-El
"My Son"

I have been thinking and saying this Superman was bada$$ from the third trailer on. I want a Superman who isn't as you (SPIDEY) said... a Quest for Peace/What about the people Supes.

"The Kryptonian prophecy will be at last fulfilled. The son becomes the father, the father becomes the son. Farewell forever Kal-El. Remember me my son." - Jor-El/Marlon Brando/Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
Old 05-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #66
Project862006
Banned User

superman punching zod,looking angry,set on fire makes him look bad ass not to mention cavill looks like the toughest superman to date

so he does bad ass things but he is not a bad ass????

he is both a boy scout and a bad ass is there something wrong or offensive about that

Old 05-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #67
ModusPonens
Side-Kick

Quote:
http://oxforddictionaries.com/defini...adass?q=badass

Though given this definition Superman's actions can be badass, but I most definitely wouldn't describe him as badass.

C'mon. Admit it. You're grasping at straws.

I'll even concede this point to you: there are multiple versions of Superman, and some of them aren't "badass-mofos." However, there are quite a few that are.

And I hope you understand that people can act differently at different times. Supes probably won't be a badass-mofo around Ma Kent... But against Zod, with the entire world on the line, the sleeves go up and all bets are off.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #68
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
superman punching zod,looking angry,set on fire makes him look bad ass not to mention cavill looks like the toughest superman to date

so he does bad ass things but he is not a bad ass????

e is both a boy scout and a bad ass is there something wrong or offensive about that
Superman is tough. He gets angry. He does ridiculously awe inspiring things. He is the guy that talks a young girl off a roof.

The whole need for him to be "badass" is why so many are fixated on him punching people and using heat vision.

Quote:

I'll even concede this point to you: there are multiple versions of Superman, and some of them aren't "badass-mofos." However, there are quite a few that are.

And I hope you understand that people can act differently at different times. Supes probably won't be a badass-mofo around Ma Kent... But against Zod, with the entire world on the line, the sleeves go up and all bets are off.
Jimmy Stewart's Mr. Smith would do the same thing. He isn't a badass.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #69
Notrip
SuperDaD

Quote:

Yep, this all day! ^ well put

Amy Adams - Lois Lane
? - Jim Gordon
Hugh Laurie - Alfred

Old 05-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #70
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks943 View Post
Survivor TV spot. Low quality
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
badass tv spot.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #71
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
Well, it would have to be a term in the first place. Badass is not a term and never was. It's slang. Also, words have multiple definitions/usages. Amazing you don't know that.
I tried explaining this to him yesterday, but he wasn't able to grasp the concept. Perhaps it's a cultural misinterpretation issue since he resides outside of North America?

Old 05-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #72
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

I swear sometimes the discussions that take place on here border outright parody.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #73
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
I swear sometimes the discussions that take place on here border outright parody.
I have 7 mins until GoT starts.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #74
Notrip
SuperDaD

if Superman didn't use heat vision or punch someone then this would be Superman Returns all over again. People are ready for Superman to do something besides lifting up a continent or turn back time. they wanna see Superman punch something cuz he can!

Amy Adams - Lois Lane
? - Jim Gordon
Hugh Laurie - Alfred

Old 05-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #75
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Hello.

Closed Thread