The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #101
ModusPonens
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
If that is how I describe Snyder's Superman after seeing MoS, I am going to think something went very wrong.
Then you and I must have very different definitions for the phrase "badass-mofo." That's all there is to it.

/fin.

Last edited by ModusPonens; 05-12-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #102
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
this right here is your problem no one in this thread said superman was'nt a good natured young man and a boy scout we just said he can also be a bad ass you act like us saying he is a bad ass somehow makes supes not a boy scout aswell

And I'm pretty sure if that if only DarthSkywalker is having a problem with this, well, unfortunately it's DarthSkywalker's problem.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #103
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Oh, **** me! Will this never end?

I'm fixing to ask Show to ban me or something.
Lmao. Lets not go that far.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #104
Project862006
Banned User

i know why cant we have both(Boy Scout/Bad Ass)

Old 05-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #105
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Quote:

Old 05-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #106
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
And just because he is a tough, muscular imposing alien, that doesn't change his nature. It is what separate Superman from everyone else, including Steve Rogers.

Not that I didn't use to go around calling Superman badass. When I was younger that is exactly how I would have described the "Step outside" scene in Superman II. Or even when he handled the bully in the bar.
You are taking a very narrow view of the character. No one around here except for possibly Naite, wants or see Superman as a bad cop, antihero cop like Batman. However, there are many times in his history where Superman has been portrayed as incredibly human and fallible and, as such, as a compassionate, human being with a strong moral compass, he has often been portrayed as tough and hard on bad people who intentionally hurt others. And thus, in standing up for others and not taking bad guys' ********, he can be a bit of a badass in terms of being tough or aggressive and having a bit of a temper. The Christlike, turn the other cheek, paragon of virtue, infallible Superman may be your preferred version of the character, but it is not all that he is.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #107
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Anybody ever seen one of those comics where Supes gets a little pissed, and they draw him all in shadow except for his glowy red laser eyes?

That's what I think of when someone mentions badass Superman.

Incidentally, I hope Zack read my mind and put something like that in the film.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion

Last edited by Whiskey Tango; 05-12-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:18 PM   #108
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
Lmao. Lets not go that far.
I've been driven mad. Lol.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:18 PM   #109
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
i know why cant we have both(Boy Scout/Bad Ass)
Because that's just not possible right ?

Old 05-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #110
TheNextNolan22
You are an F** ****

Quote:

Stop all this positive thinking. Only negativity is allowed in here.
When it comes to Superman.....Make mine CAVILL
Dats dat.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #111
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
I've been driven mad. Lol.
visit the henry cavill thread

Old 05-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #112
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
I'm just engaging in a bit of hyperbole.

I love these boards, I even still like Darth despite his slang policing me.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #113
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
We had a conversation about this yesterday?
Very briefly regarding Naite's usage of the word. It was actually a few days ago, however.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #114
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
this right here is your problem no one in this thread said superman was'nt a good natured young man and a boy scout we just said he can also be a bad ass you act like us saying he is a bad ass somehow makes supes not a boy scout aswell
I would never associate the phrase with someone like Clark Kent. Even on the days he flips a tracker because he can't play football.

Quote:

Why so upset? You obviously did nothing wrong. Just a discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post

And I'm pretty sure if that if only DarthSkywalker is having a problem with this, well, unfortunately it's DarthSkywalker's problem.
Which is why I am discussing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
You are taking a very narrow view of the character. No one around here except for possibly Naite, wants or see Superman as a bad cop, antihero cop like Batman. However, there are many times in his history where Superman has been portrayed as incredibly human and fallible and, as such, as a compassionate, human being with a strong moral compass, he has often been portrayed as tough and hard on bad people who intentionally hurt others. And thus, in standing up for others and not taking bad guys' ********, he can be a bit of a badass in terms of being tough or aggressive and having a bit of a temper. The Christlike, turn the other cheek, paragon of virtue, infallible Superman may be your preferred version of the character, but it is not all that he is.
I actually like this description. And it is a fair one DK. I just wouldn't associate that word with him.

I am not for the infallible Clark Kent. I have become a big fan of the Kal-El who feels human emotion greater then any human. He is the near immortal being who struggles with normal human emotions.

But I also don't go with the idea that just because there have been many interpetations of the character, that all are necessarily right. I mean, we have TDKR Superman the one who actually committed an execution.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #115
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:

These boards are so badass!!

Old 05-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #116
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:

You are such a badass SPIDEY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
Very briefly regarding Naite's usage of the word. It was actually a few days ago, however.
I do remember that. The attempt to explain Naite.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #117
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
I actually like this description. And it is a fair one DK. I just wouldn't associate that word with him.

I am not for the infallible Clark Kent. I have become a big fan of the Kal-El who feels human emotion greater then any human. He is the near immortal being who struggles with normal human emotions.

But I also don't go with the idea that just because there have been many interpetations of the character, that all are necessarily right. I mean, we have TDKR Superman the one who actually committed an execution.
Of course, not all interpretations are necessarily true to the core principles of the character. However, the tough guy panels I posted and the recent Morrison run on Action Comics I referenced earlier are arguably pretty clearly within the realm of legitimate interpretations of the character as the former were actually written by Siegel and Shuster and the latter is based on those early stories and written by the very man who wrote All-Star Superman and the scene of Supes talking down the girl from jumping with a hug.

The idea of Superman being a bit of bad cop, vigilante type (aka badass in others' words) seems to be a natural extension of the idea of Superman as a very human being who feels human emotions more strongly than others. It pains him to see suffering and injustice in the world so it is natural for him to be driven to go outside the law and use intimidation tactics that others cannot because there are often people who cheat the system and endlessly get away with great wrongs.

That side of the character has been neglected in popular imagination in recent years and I think for the most part, the people who disagree with you and want a "badass" Superman want that aspect of the character to become known again. So that the inaccurate popular image of Superman as a lame, Christlike infallible God can be done away with and modern audiences can get to know the very human, relatable character and all of his facets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
I remember that and, honestly, I don't think Naite uses badass in the same way as the rest of us. Making Superman a violent, badass is all he ever talks about and I don't think he has ever shown any desire to see the rest of the character's attributes.

Last edited by DKDetective; 05-12-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #118
TheNextNolan22
You are an F** ****

.....Is this still going on?

Dats dat.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #119
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

As an Eagle Scout I resent this insistence that Boy Scouts can't be bad asses.

In fact most of us carry replicas of Sam Jackson's wallet from Pulp Fiction, except we have to make our own, after killing and skinning a buffalo, and stamping the lettering ourselves.

Even that's only half of the requirements for the Leather Working merit badge (Which, oddly, like many merit badges, actually requires a 3 page essay).

Also knots. Always the knots.

Last edited by redhawk23; 05-12-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:41 PM   #120
TheNextNolan22
You are an F** ****

MOS looks badass.....

Dats dat.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #121
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ahh the 70's...
the top one is the 90's Bizarro, from the Superboy TV show

Old 05-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #122
Project862006
Banned User

Old 05-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #123
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
the top one is the 90's Bizarro, from the Superboy TV show
It looks terrible, the make up/mask I mean. I vaguely remember the show.

I'm sure I can find clips on YouTube.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #124
TheNextNolan22
You are an F** ****

Hi everybody.

Dats dat.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #125
X Knight
Saber Class

Superman doesn't need to be the "vigilante/bad cop" to be "badass."

he's the ultimate good cop, the fair but tough guy sheriff who protects his town and people and delivers justice to the bad guys.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Closed Thread