The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #26
Zarex
Side-Kick

Default Re: Dat J. August Richards Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Marvel has been planning a Luke Cage movie in some fashion for even longer than the aka Jessica Jones TV pilot that never got off the ground. In fact, the latest update on that was a few days ago when THR reported that Marvel Studios has quietly bought back Blade, Ghost Rider, Daredevil and Power Man within the last year.
I believe these rights back came back either because a sufficient amount of time had elapsed since the initial production date of the previous film (Blade, Daredevil) or the studio relinquished the rights ahead of time (Ghost Rider), perhaps to maintain a good working relationship with Disney/Marvel. The rights to Luke Cage have been with Marvel Studios since the company came into being, but were unavailable for other use while Melissa Rosenberg was attempting to put together a Jessica Jones series.

Quote:
And again: The Marvel intro logo to this trailer shows Rage. Clearly.

He isn't shown wearing the luchador mask yet, but he may well put it on later in the show (I'm assuming everything here is from the pilot? They haven't filmed any other episodes yet, right?)
Though I would have liked to have seen Cage, they may be holding him out for a potentiall Heroes for Hire spinoff at some later date. And "Rage" is fine, so long as the character is never, ever addressed by that name.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #27
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
I believe these rights back came back either because a sufficient amount of time had elapsed since the initial production date of the previous film (Blade, Daredevil) or the studio relinquished the rights ahead of time (Ghost Rider), perhaps to maintain a good working relationship with Disney/Marvel. The rights to Luke Cage have been with Marvel Studios since the company came into being, but were unavailable for other use while Melissa Rosenberg was attempting to put together a Jessica Jones series.

Though I would have liked to have seen Cage, they may be holding him out for a potentiall Heroes for Hire spinoff at some later date. And "Rage" is fine, so long as the character is never, ever addressed by that name.
Marvel Studios is already kinda famous/notorious for not actually using their superhero/supervillain names in actual dialog. JAR may just be "Elvin Halliday," and they'll leave it at that. Or make "Rage" some kind of code name.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #28
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
But then people will just call him Blacktain America =(
this made me laugh way more than it should have haha

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
mkilban2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #29
KDM1986
Midnight Sons Founder

I hope it's rage. Luke and Danny deserve a movie! Not a tv show.

KDM1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #30
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDM1986 View Post
I hope it's rage. Luke and Danny deserve a movie! Not a tv show.
I would much prefer a Heroes for Hire TV show, and I hope that it is spun off of "Agents of Shield" at some point in the future. With Guardians of the Galaxy and Dr. Strange next in Marvel's new franchise batting order, it doesn't look as though the "street level" heroes will be joining the MCU anytime soon. It don't think Feige has confidence that characters whose primary motivation is cleaning up a city - and don't have themed caves with wonderful toys - will bring in the box office returns of their more fantastic characters. I think a workplace comedy/drama with superheroes has a lot of potential.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #31
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Yeah, I don't see Luke cage holding his own movie tbh. But if he had a back door heroes for hire plot in shield...I could dig it.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #32
eddy
Side-Kick

Quote:
I challenge you or anyone else to provide a link proving otherwise.

go to 5 second mark

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

The marvel bumper for SHIELD is shorter but I'm pretty sure the pages from it are the same on that old bumper that was uploaded 2 years ago.

And just in case its moving by too fast for you I took the initiative to go ahead and screen cap it for you.

http://imageshack.us/f/708/freezeframe.jpg/

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE.

Last edited by eddy; 05-13-2013 at 09:13 PM.
eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #33
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

I wouldn't be offended by Power Man, but...

Another neglected option is the semi-obscure Rage, member of the New Warriors. He was 13 years old, and imbued with a super-strength formula that matured him slightly-- (obviously mr. richards is not bulky like Rage, but the same goes if he were playing Cage)...

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #34
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

just to go along with Eddy's HIMYM gif lol

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
mkilban2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #35
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
this made me laugh way more than it should have haha
I'm sure you laughed just the right amount for a terrible joke. Haha

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #36
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy View Post

go to 5 second mark

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

The marvel bumper for SHIELD is shorter but I'm pretty sure the pages from it are the same on that old bumper that was uploaded 2 years ago.

And just in case its moving by too fast for you I took the initiative to go ahead and screen cap it for you.

http://imageshack.us/f/708/freezeframe.jpg/
The Rage vs. WWHulk panel is in both clips, but otherwise, the video you uploaded doesn't tell us anything. Is it official? Is it fanmade? What movie is it from? It's just a YT titled "Marvel Intro HD" and it lasts for 13 seconds. The SHIELD intro lasts about 1.5 seconds.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #37
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Uh....no, it isn't. Each Marvel bumper has a different selection of comic book panels flashing by in montage. Avengers had panels from Avenger comics; CATFA had panels from Cap comics; Thor from Thor, IM from IM, and so on. The one for "Agents of SHIELD" shows Rage, and it hasn't been used in any of the other movie trailers, afaik. I challenge you or anyone else to provide a link proving otherwise.
Well, Rage must have appeared in Avengers comics then, because he, like all the other images from the Agents of SHIELD Marvel montage, appear quite clearly in the Avengers Marvel montage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or2qwFYJq8Q

The picture of Rage was chosen independent of the content of the Agents of SHIELD television show. It's just not a clue. -shrug-

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet that Luke Cage, either solo or teamed up for HFH, is still a feature film possibility for MS. There's a LOT of black actors, ranging from unknowns all the way up to megastars, who've tossed their hat into that ring. Cage is a potentially lucrative film franchise, and Marvel/Disney are going to want to get the most bang for their buck.
I dunno, Marvel had no problem planning him for TV before, and they seem to be taking all those interested megastars and putting them in other supporting roles. I don't think they're really pressed about getting the bang for their buck here. I suspect that Black Panther is their Black superhero, and they're not really looking for two.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #38
SoNicRaDiATioN
Side-Kick

Quote:
I would much prefer a Heroes for Hire TV show, and I hope that it is spun off of "Agents of Shield" at some point in the future. With Guardians of the Galaxy and Dr. Strange next in Marvel's new franchise batting order, it doesn't look as though the "street level" heroes will be joining the MCU anytime soon.
Agreed, we probably won't be seeing Luke or Danny for a decade at least, so why not give us a great Heroes for Hire TV show in the meantime? I never got the argument that it would devalue the characters by putting them on TV first. Would the Flash or Green Arrow be given less respect in a solo or JL film because they had TV shows? I doubt it. It's just a different platform, like TV is from animation.

Quote:
It don't think Feige has confidence that characters whose primary motivation is cleaning up a city - and don't have themed caves with wonderful toys - will bring in the box office returns of their more fantastic characters.
I'm not sure this is the case though. I think its more the desire to do something (or characters) that haven't been done before. It's about diversifying the Marvel brand and it's audience. There are plenty of people who would love a Daredevil or Punisher film but have no real interest in Dr. Strange or GotG.

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 05-14-2013 at 02:04 AM.
SoNicRaDiATioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #39
Doomed_hero
Side-Kick

I think it is cage for sure do to the nature of the powers we see and also his color scheme. kinda hope it is. love the actor from his angel work and think he will be great as Cage

Old 05-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #40
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Well, Rage must have appeared in Avengers comics then, because he, like all the other images from the Agents of SHIELD Marvel montage, appear quite clearly in the Avengers Marvel montage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or2qwFYJq8Q
Rage *was* in a few Avenger comics --- he "applied" for membership, but was turned down for being a 13-year old. (Albeit in a grown man's body.)

Quote:
The picture of Rage was chosen independent of the content of the Agents of SHIELD television show. It's just not a clue. -shrug-
Maybe not; the panel in the bumper might just be coincidental after all. But even if it doesn't prove that JAR *is* Rage, coincidence doesn't prove that he *isn't.*

Quote:
I dunno, Marvel had no problem planning him for TV before, and they seem to be taking all those interested megastars and putting them in other supporting roles. I don't think they're really pressed about getting the bang for their buck here. I suspect that Black Panther is their Black superhero, and they're not really looking for two.
Nick Fury, Falcon and War Machine say otherwise. Hell, so do Heimdall, Kurse and Gamora. Marvel isn't in the "token black" business anymore. The more the studio can broaden its audience, the better.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #41
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Rage *was* in a few Avenger comics --- he "applied" for membership, but was turned down for being a 13-year old. (Albeit in a grown man's body.)

Maybe not; the panel in the bumper might just be coincidental after all. But even if it doesn't prove that JAR *is* Rage, coincidence doesn't prove that he *isn't.*

Nick Fury, Falcon and War Machine say otherwise. Hell, so do Heimdall, Kurse and Gamora. Marvel isn't in the "token black" business anymore. The more the studio can broaden its audience, the better.
I still want a Black Panther movie!

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #42
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
I still want a Black Panther movie!
So do I! In addition to a Luke Cage/Heroes for Hire movie.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #43
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:

I agree, I'm saying it's not a clue.

Quote:
Right, like I said, supporting roles. They're not trying to give two black characters solo movies... maybe not even one, unless a great creator steps up to the plate for it like one did for Ant-Man. And while the stories told don't belittle the characters played by Black actors (only two of which are superheroes btw), Hollywood is still Hollywood, they're not going to give multiple lead roles to non-whites... they can barely do that for women on a good day. Marvel's doing well on diversity, no doubt, but they're not breaking down barriers, they're just consistently not being total arses.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #44
LEGO Spidey
Side-Kick

That Rage panel has been a part of the Marvel films opening titles since at least the first Raimi Spider-Man, I should know given how I almost burned out my VCR rewatching those titles over and over. So... I think Richards is Cage, until further news indicate otherwise.

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes!!!
LEGO Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #45
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

I feel like the new trailer leans this character even closer toward Eli Bradley...

Now we have a young-looking African American with super strength and speed (at least super-soldier levels, like Patriot). He is wearing some kind of device that is apparently giving him these abilities (Patriot used some illegal mutant drug to get his powers for a while, and they would wear off) AND he obviously has some affinity for Captain America since he made the classic Cap shield pose as soon as the word "shield" was mentioned.

Gotta be Elijah...

ゴジラ
kaijunexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #46
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Yeah, the super soldier serum doesn't do that whole jumping off of twenty story buildings thing. It just doesn't. Other than that, I really see what you're saying.

I think we may need to deal with the idea that this, like all the other cast members, might be a brand new character.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #47
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

The trailer still shows him with all the hallmarks of Rage (minus the characteristic luchador mask, of course). Super strength, super speed, super jumping. The only thing out of place is the fiery thing implanted in his arm. I can't think of an existing character off the top of my head that would fit; maybe they just need an alien maguffin for Rage's superpowers to work or something.

But yeah, the whole "you think I need a shield or something?" could be a reference to Bradley, but if you take away his shield and SSS-based powerset, it ain't really Patriot, is it....?

I'm still betting on Rage. Or an original. (But if it's an original, why did they say his character was "top secret"....?)

Old 05-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #48
OB12
Side-Kick

Yeah, maybe they are substituting the alien implants for toxic material, to give Rage his powers. Toxic waste is a bit of a tired trope anyway.

OB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #49
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB12 View Post
Yeah, maybe they are substituting the alien implants for toxic material, to give Rage his powers. Toxic waste is a bit of a tired trope anyway.
Yeah, too "Eighties."

Another thing to take into consideration as we try to suss JAR's character out: Marvel are pretty well-known for giving traditionally white characters to black actors. We don't necessarily have to assume that the character JAR is playing is actually black in the comics.

What if he's Rick Jones, and that thing on his forearm is the MCU version of Kree nega-bands....?

Old 05-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #50
Chewy
REDACTED

Based on this:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...tery-character

I'm gonna say it's a character from the comics who was not black in the comics

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote