The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 06-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #276
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Why not? Singer clearly stated he wanted to reach out and expand the universe. That doesn't necessarily mean start from scratch.
No, I don't disagree that it would mean starting from scratch but "expanding the universe" to me means multiple films and personally moving forward I don't see them getting multiple films together with the original cast - that's all my saying.

At max, I would say they have probably one for sure, and would be lucky with two additional movies with the OT cast before they would need to do something to keep the franchise from stalling.

Of course I could be dead wrong, but I'm just looking it from more logical, contractual, and logistical standpoint. It would be easier to do an expanded universe when you have time to work with younger characters, younger actors (which are more willing to sign longer contract obligations) and more freedom with continuity - not to mention sticking with a First Class timeline would be starting from scratch really.

We know how Hollywood works sometimes, so nothing is set in stone or absolute.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #277
Cherry
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
At max, I would say they have probably one for sure, and would be lucky with two additional movies with the OT cast before they would need to do something to keep the franchise from stalling.
My personal preference would be one film after DOFP with the original cast fighting against Apocalypse and Sinister. I would be happy with that cast by themselves or teaming up again with the First Classers in another time travel story, this time to prevent the Age of Apocalypse.

After that, I'd like to see various spin-offs like X-Force, New Mutants, and X-Factor. Then, we can start all over again with a reboot. But I definitely don't want sequels where the entire cast is recast.

Edit: My X-Factor movie, by the way, would have Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Iceman, and Angel with those 5 actors from X3 reprising their roles in a brand new adventure separate from the other X-Men.

Last edited by Cherry; 06-04-2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: A fan can dream.
Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #278
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

i honestly think they could get away with a FC3 with sinister, young cyclops and jean with quite alot of clever prequel foreshadowing to apocalypse with an end credit scene set in the future setting up future apocalypse film with the OT

would gives us the 80s FC movie and also an apocalypse movie which is quite well book ended

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 06-04-2013 at 06:45 PM.
GuestStar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #279
Melapi
Side-Kick

Personally, I miss the school. The original trilogy rocked until Brett put his hand on it, (the damage was important but I have faith in Bryan) so after DOFP I'd like to watch 2 or 3 more films with the elements of these two first films and their cast. X1 and X2 made me love this saga and for me no other X-men movie was able to overshadow them.

Melapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #280
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Soon psylockolussus will be here saying how anything that isn't an OT Xmen film is a bad idea

Old 06-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #281
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
i honestly think they could get away with a FC3 with sinister, young cyclops and jean with quite alot of clever prequel foreshadowing to apocalypse with an end credit scene set in the future setting up future apocalypse film with the OT

would gives us the 80s FC movie and also an apocalypse movie which is quite well book ended
Agreed. Since Cyclops has zero history in these films. Giving us a film that could actually be about him would be a good call. They need to get back on track with him asap.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #282
Cherry
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post

That would be nice too.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #283
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Agreed. Since Cyclops has zero history in these films. Giving us a film that could actually be about him would be a good call. They need to get back on track with him asap.
Agree too. Thats exactly what Id love to see.

a FC sequel set in the 80's with young Cyclops, Jean and maybe Storm. And then a movie set in present time with whole original cast back, and in the best scenario, agains Mr. Sinister and Apocalypse. That would be more than awesome to me.

If this is what Fox and Singer have in mind, I will end being soooooooooo pleased with this franchise.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #284
def28
Side-Kick

Storm and Cyclops need their time and an actual backstory. Singer has to realize he ****ed up on those two, and if he wants to keep going he has to address that. If that means younger cast then so be it.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #285
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

A sequel in the First Class timeline with a younger Cyclops and Jean & Essex/Sinister as the villain would be PHENOMENAL.

Last edited by SuperT; 06-04-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #286
Angamb
Banned User

+1

Sinister is like a must already.

Magneto/Fassbender can still be around, doing some damage, but I think both villains can share the villain side of an upcoming movie, so..... why not?

Old 06-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #287
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

There are tons of other villains that can carry a movie with the X-Men besides Magneto if done properly: Apocalypse (if done properly, and not so cheesy), Arcade, Shadow King, Friends of Humanity, Marauders, The Hellions, Acolytes, Krakoa, and a ton of others I'm probably forgetting.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #288
Cherry
Side-Kick

I am very surprised we haven't seen Sinister and Apocalypse in this franchise yet...

Old 06-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #289
MarvelU
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
I agree, but even if they end up resurrecting Cyclops and move on with the Original cast or they do a younger version of him, then they need to do the character some justice. The next film after X-Men: Days of Future Past, should focus on a Cyclops story and him truly leading the team. Sinister and Apocalypse should be the next few villains after DOFP.

MarvelU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #290
Cherry
Side-Kick

Quote:
There are tons of other villains that can carry a movie with the X-Men besides Magneto if done properly: Apocalypse (if done properly, and not so cheesy), Arcade, Shadow King, Friends of Humanity, Marauders, The Hellions, Acolytes, Krakoa, and a ton of others I'm probably forgetting.
The only other villain I want to see is Shadow King, but even he isn't necessary. Now that we have the Sentinels, IMO the only important villains yet to be adapted are Sinister and Apocalypse.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #291
Phoenix_Flare
Side-Kick

I agree als,o the 3rd film in the "first class" series needs to come full circle, that means McAvoy becoming the "Xavier" that we see in the OT and the team forming. It's clear that Banshee and Havok either didn't stay after the events on Cuba, or graduated and decided to live a normal life and DOFP may have young Beast teaming up w/future X-Men, so in pt 3 we need to see a young Scott, Jean, and Storm and see their journey into becoming the X-Men , this movie should be THEIR story. Plus friends of humanity, Magneto being the side villians, while Sinister is the overall main baddie,

Phoenix_Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #292
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
I still can't understand your hardon for the original cast. That's good for you if they make an X-men 5, but after this film I think they should take a long break and get new actors for an all new X-men series. You seem like one of those fans that if you love a certain actor or actors in a role you don't think it's possible for anyone else to do better.

As much as I like X1 and X2, there is still major room for improvement to give us an X-men film that feels way more like the comics. I look forward to DoFP, but I hope this is the final film with the old cast.
If you still don't understand, let me repeat what I've been saying why FOX should continue with the original cast after DOFP is released.

DOFP wouldn't receive this amount of excitement/buzz/hype if this film is just featuring the cast of First Class and a couple of new characters. A big reason for the excitement for this is the return of the ORIGINAL CAST. And the original cast (except for Hugh Jackman and cameo roles from Patrick Stewart) already took a break and which is more than 5 years. Its not a good idea to give them a long break again when they are the main reason why this upcoming film is getting a lot of hype. Like I said, follow the Fast/Furious route, they brought back the original cast for the 4th film and released 2 more films with them and at the same time, they included new characters and look how big Fast/Furious is right now.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:37 PM   #293
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
I'm with you. Love love love the original cast, but I hope this is their swan song and a new beginning with the FC cast.
This is more like a swan song for the FC cast. If FOX wanted to continue with the FC cast, they won't need to bring back the OT cast and they would also bring back Havok, Banshee, Emma, Angel Salvadore, Riptide, Moira and Azazel. People only started to have an interest with a First Class series because how good their movie is but before, people weren't interested with it. Plus the box-office performance of First Class says it all. The prequels/spin-offs perform less at the box-office compare to the original trilogy. Business-wise, FOX shouldn't settle for lower box-office numbers. There are more chances for success with movies that feature the original cast than the movies that feature the First Class cast. Plus with First Class movies, they are limited to ideas. they are stuck in the past, they have to connect things to the original trilogy or else it will lead to an continuity error and they have to introduce characters that people already seen in the previous X-Men movies.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 06-04-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #294
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Of course I could be dead wrong, but I'm just looking it from more logical, contractual, and logistical standpoint. It would be easier to do an expanded universe when you have time to work with younger characters, younger actors (which are more willing to sign longer contract obligations) and more freedom with continuity - not to mention sticking with a First Class timeline would be starting from scratch really.
And as if Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Anna Paquin, Ellen Page, Daniel Cudmore, Shawn Ashmore and the new additions to DOFP won't sign up for two more films. Who knows if some of them already signed for 3 films when they signed up for this film.

This reminds me of back in 2006, when people kept saying it was gonna be impossible for FOX to bring back the original cast for a 4th X-Men film. FOX didn't have a problem at all bringing back half of X3's cast in this movie and I'm sure if Cyclops/Jean Grey/Nightcrawler/OldBeast/OldMystique are in the script, the actors that portrayed them in the original trilogy would have said yes right away.

And that the thing you are really forgetting about is how would these films perform at the box-office. Its one thing for these films to be good but if they don't perform great at the box-office and they don't live up to the expectation of the studio. This series would be in trouble. Could you really picture a Second Class film/Third Class film outgrossing X3? People would just view them as prequels since they are set in the past and prequels usually don't outgross the original series. The only prequel series that really got a lot of money was the Star Wars prequel trilogy but if you adjust the ticket prices, Phantom Menace didn't outgross Episode IV, Revenge of the Sith/Attack of the Clones didn't outgross Episode V and VI and there's a huge gap between SW's original trilogy and SW's prequel trilogy unlike with X-Men's original trilogy and First Class.

I just don't see X-Men being in-demand again like it was in 2003/2006 and right now, if they move forward with the cast of First Class. The general audience were definitely not that interested with Origins/First Class and now with The Wolverine before they hit the theaters, simply because they are spin-offs and featuring a brand new cast. Even if X3/Origins were good movies, I don't think people would have been very excited to watch Origins/First Class especially compare to the hype that X3 received back in 2006. Another movie with the cast of First Class after DOFP could probably outgross X1/Origins because of 3D/increasing ticket prices, but they wouldn't outgross the upcoming/recent films from DC/Marvel. At least if they move forward with X5/X6 with the original cast, even if they don't outgross X3 or DOFP, at least people wouldn't say, it didn't do well because it was a prequel or it didn't feature the original cast or it didn't feature Wolverine.

I feel like this series is now in much better shape compare to 2009 to 2011. Its like the good old days where people are really looking forward to a new X-Men movie and there's a lot of excitement. The original cast that made the X-Men films a hit and they had a couple of records at the box-office are back, Bryan Singer is the director again, we have the characters that are really well-known to the X-Men universe and to the general audience. They shouldn't screw this up by releasing another prequel and giving the original cast another break. Prequels may be obsessively consumed in the comic book world, but they often amount to fanboy fantasias as far as the mainstream is concerned. If these back stories were so essential, then that's where the franchises should have started. The story needs to progress, not regress.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 06-05-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:39 AM   #295
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
The only other villain I want to see is Shadow King, but even he isn't necessary. Now that we have the Sentinels, IMO the only important villains yet to be adapted are Sinister and Apocalypse.
Shadow king would be a great way to give Storm and Cyclops the development that they need. It would help explain Storm's history and her past as well as giving cyclops more of a leadership role. e.g maybe Storm goes under Shadow King's control or something and is unable to fulfil her duties as a Leader so she retreats to Africa and Cyclops takes over and he leads the team to aid Storm.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
NanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #296
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
This is more like a swan song for the FC cast. If FOX wanted to continue with the FC cast, they won't need to bring back the OT cast and they would also bring back Havok, Banshee, Emma, Angel Salvadore, Riptide, Moira and Azazel. People only started to have an interest with a First Class series because how good their movie is but before, people weren't interested with it. Plus the box-office performance of First Class says it all. The prequels/spin-offs perform less at the box-office compare to the original trilogy. Business-wise, FOX shouldn't settle for lower box-office numbers. There are more chances for success with movies that feature the original cast than the movies that feature the First Class cast. Plus with First Class movies, they are limited to ideas. they are stuck in the past, they have to connect things to the original trilogy or else it will lead to an continuity error and they have to introduce characters that people already seen in the previous X-Men movies.
If it wasn't for the fact I argued enough about this I'd tell you why you are wrong once again, but I'll let someone else do it

Old 06-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #297
Angamb
Banned User

wow, psyckolossus, three posts back to back....

maybe you could have your own topic or something

'The Official Psyckolossus Thread'

Could be fun!

Old 06-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #298
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Flare View Post
I agree als,o the 3rd film in the "first class" series needs to come full circle, that means McAvoy becoming the "Xavier" that we see in the OT and the team forming. It's clear that Banshee and Havok either didn't stay after the events on Cuba, or graduated and decided to live a normal life and DOFP may have young Beast teaming up w/future X-Men, so in pt 3 we need to see a young Scott, Jean, and Storm and see their journey into becoming the X-Men , this movie should be THEIR story. Plus friends of humanity, Magneto being the side villians, while Sinister is the overall main baddie,
Agreed. I think this is the safest possible route. Then you can end the saga right there after tying in all the loose ends. It would be akin to the Star Wars prequels. After that, I'm not so sure. I don't expect the OT to come back. Think you have to wait a while, get a new director and a new vision, and then do a sequel trilogy in the corrected timeline. That's how I'd go about. If the actors they pick up for FC3 blossom into big young stars, akin to JLawrence, maybe they'd be open to returning for a new trilogy. There is no need to rush it, but FC3 structured as you have layed out is the best bet.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #299
Cherry
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
I don't expect the OT to come back.
That's what people said before DOFP. All I've heard from them in interviews is how excited they are to be asked back.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #300
Angamb
Banned User

exactly.

And Im sure Bryan want them for another movie, I could bet on that. Its too hot and great of a cast to say them goodbye now. Specially now that Fox has brought them back. Now, they can continue, at least with another movie, with the rest of the actors unconfirmed.

Fox and Singer probably wanted more than 3 movies back in the day, but the Singer departure changed their vision. But now that Bryan and the cast is back... this is a whole different story.