The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 06-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #301
Cherry
Side-Kick

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
Fox and Singer probably wanted more than 3 movies back in the day, but the Singer departure changed their vision. But now that Bryan and the cast is back... this is a whole different story.
Yeah. Weren't they originally planning on shooting X3/4 back-to-back when Singer was still at the helm?

Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #302
Angamb
Banned User

exactly.

and who knows if with those two movies being successfull, Fox would have move forward even more with a 6 one.

Im sure X3 by Singer would have made more than 500m, and X4 probably much more. But anyway, it is what it is.

And the great thing is that most are back, director and 8 actors. Now lets just hope James Marsden and a few more return soon too.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #303
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
If you still don't understand, let me repeat what I've been saying why FOX should continue with the original cast after DOFP is released.

DOFP wouldn't receive this amount of excitement/buzz/hype if this film is just featuring the cast of First Class and a couple of new characters. A big reason for the excitement for this is the return of the ORIGINAL CAST. And the original cast (except for Hugh Jackman and cameo roles from Patrick Stewart) already took a break and which is more than 5 years. Its not a good idea to give them a long break again when they are the main reason why this upcoming film is getting a lot of hype. Like I said, follow the Fast/Furious route, they brought back the original cast for the 4th film and released 2 more films with them and at the same time, they included new characters and look how big Fast/Furious is right now.
I already know that the original cast is a bigger draw than the cast of First Class. If that's the only reason you are happy the original actors are coming back, so the movie hopefully does better, it's not like you'll see any of the profits. If it's because it being more successful than First Class would guarantee another sequel, well that would happen regardless since this is one of Fox's main franchises. If DoFP bombs, they're not going to throw their arms in the air and give up on the series.

From seeing numerous posts of yours, I don't think you can imagine an X-men film without these actors. Personally I feel this should be the last film with them and Fox should move on.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #304
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
That's what people said before DOFP. All I've heard from them in interviews is how excited they are to be asked back.
If you told me Singer was going to come back to this franchise after the SR fiasco, produce a FC movie, then go on to direct this kiss and make up movie in DoFP, and possibly continue from there, I would have called you nuts. But considering the circumstances, it's not that much of a surprise most of the OT cast is back. Most of these actors are loyal to him. They knew they wouldn't be short changed and Ratnered in the process when making the decision to come back.

That said, I don't think Singer is the end all be all with X-Men. Both parties will have to move on at some point. I don't think Singer can take the franchise to the next level with his OT cast. I want to see some fresh blood to tackle the epic stories like Apocalypse and possibly revisiting the Phoenix. Those story lines take time to develop, and I want to see a brand new trilogy or set of films tackling those storylines. Now that we have knocked off the whole humanity vs mutant conflict and covered the core concepts of what X-Men is about, I would like to see a more fantastical, sci-fi take on the series. I don't think Singer is the guy who will ultimately deliver that. I think FC3 will be the movie that sets things in motion for the next 3-4 X-Men movies following that, just as Star Trek was relaunched.

Last edited by Mr.M; 06-05-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #305
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

And let's remember that the only reason Singer is directing this is is because Vaughn dropped out.

It's not like this was some grand plan to reunite the original director with the original cast all along.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #306
Angamb
Banned User

good point.

but.... lets not forget that LAuren S- Donner is a fan of this story, so Im sure both she and Singer discussed about this adaptation before First Class. So something tells me FC and DOFP are part of a plan by them. (not Fox)

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #307
Legion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
And let's remember that the only reason Singer is directing this is is because Vaughn dropped out.

It's not like this was some grand plan to reunite the original director with the original cast all along.
Do we know for sure Vaughn was supposed to direct "X-Men: Days of Future Past"?

I only remember him being attached to direct the "X-Men: First Class Sequel" where he talked about Magneto assassinating JFK...it seems like the plans changed with the directors.

Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #308
JP
Smelly

Yes. He wrote the treatment for the film.

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #309
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
I don't think Singer can take the franchise to the next level with his OT cast.
Unless he plans on giving us new versions of Rogue, Storm, Cyclops and Iceman that are more in line with how they should be I agree with this 100%.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #310
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post

That said, I don't think Singer is the end all be all with X-Men. Both parties will have to move on at some point. I don't think Singer can take the franchise to the next level with his OT cast. I want to see some fresh blood to tackle the epic stories like Apocalypse and possibly revisiting the Phoenix. Those story lines take time to develop, and I want to see a brand new trilogy or set of films tackling those storylines. Now that we have knocked off the whole humanity vs mutant conflict and covered the core concepts of what X-Men is about, I would like to see a more fantastical, sci-fi take on the series. I don't think Singer is the guy who will ultimately deliver that. I think FC3 will be the movie that sets things in motion for the next 3-4 X-Men movies following that, just as Star Trek was relaunched.

Totally agree with this. The X-men Universe has so much more to offer and has such a wide range of characters it shouldn't be limited by one man's vision. Heck I'd say treat it like the Marvel Universe films. You could have a new fresh start with the X-men, then other spin offs (kind of what they've done with Wolvie) but with other characters or teams like excalibur or X-factor with Havok as the lead etc. Even a film in the Savage Land. That universe is ripe for the picking but I honestly think Singer has a very limited vision when it comes to these characters, he's no Joss Whedon. I mean we've never even seen good Sentinels! We've had four Transformer movies, I-Robot, and soon Pacific Rim so you can't tell me giant robots don't sell. But in the Universe he's created I don't even know if you could make them fit properly (yes I know there was a tease and a sentinel head in X3 but that was just a tease).

Get a personalized comic book:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/82753148...c-book-4-pages

Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #311
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion View Post
Do we know for sure Vaughn was supposed to direct "X-Men: Days of Future Past"?

I only remember him being attached to direct the "X-Men: First Class Sequel" where he talked about Magneto assassinating JFK...it seems like the plans changed with the directors.
who said vaughns plans didnt change with the films plot

people need to stop acting like singer will do things very differently to what vaughn did, i actually think singer will be quite loyal to vaughns vision for the FC

Old 06-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #312
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Don't forget Bryan was very much Involved Ind evolping this story and was on
board as producer from day 1.We also know getting OT cast members In
film was the plan even when Vaughn was directing.

DOFP defently changed when vaughn quit to do secret service

The bond tribute In First Class was because of Vaughn.It's also likely If Bryan
has been able to direct First Class Xavier would have been on more equal footing
with Magneto.

Remember Bryan was very much a hands on producer with First Class.

We know ending of this film will set up next film.LSD said that back In 2011.
And Bryan has called this an Inbetweenequal.Besides wolverine we have no Idea how much screentime the OT vets get.But,you can't dismiss with all the correcting comments It could be more with OT cast.It will depend how film ends.With Bryan that's hard to predict.

You have to admit Bryan Isn't letting the idiots at Fox Marketing hurt this film.He's taking marketing out of their hands to create excitement for this film

Old 06-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #313
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Vaughn is still producer also

Old 06-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #314
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
You have to admit Bryan Isn't letting the idiots at Fox Marketing hurt this film.He's taking marketing out of their hands to create excitement for this film
Agreed. He's doing a great job on spreading the hype.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #315
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Vaughn co-wrote script with Simon Kinberg and apparently his writing partner jane Goldman when he was going to direct.He Is still producer but It remains to be seen If this
Is like Bryan on First Class or Tim Burton on batman Forever.

we know Kinberg has done rewrites after Bryan took over.And that Is only what we know.With Kinberg's Involvement with Star Wars spinoffs It's possable another writer could have worked on film too.What excatly were Dan harris and Michael doughert meeting with Bryan about when he was deep Into DOFP

Old 06-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #316
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

I felt like Bryan has a limited vision. and he criminally underused Patrick Stewart in all three films. He found ways to disable him in each film, first movie had the Cerebro malfunction, 2nd film he's mind trapped by Stryker's son, and third film he dies. Him and Cyclops were both sabatoged in some manner in each film. I just don't trust him to do anything interesting. FC was a breath of fresh air. Fastbender was the best anti-hero I've ever seen. Really hoping the FC crew gets proper screen time.

Get a personalized comic book:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/82753148...c-book-4-pages

Last edited by Daybreak_st; 06-05-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #317
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
I'm not sure how much input(if any) a director has in regards to movie posters, but let's hope Fox pumps out some decent posters this time. I usually don't ***** about bad posters since I've gotten used to most companies using photoshop every time, but First Class had some disgustingly bad posters.

For a movie that sounds to be incredibly epic, I want some damn cool posters.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #318
Double B
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreak_st View Post
I felt like Bryan has a limited vision. and he criminally underused Patrick Stewart in all three films. He found ways to disable him in each film, first movie had the Cerebro malfunction, 2nd film he's mind trapped by Stryker's son, and third film he dies. Him and Cyclops were both sabatoged in some manner in each film. I just don't trust him to do anything interesting. FC was a breath of fresh air. Fastbender was the best anti-hero I've ever seen. Really hoping the FC crew gets proper screen time.
Singer had nothing to do with the third film.

Cyclops was shortchanged in X2, but certainly not in X1.

And this looks ten times more interesting that FC.

Double B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #319
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Fastbender was the best anti-hero I've ever seen. Really hoping the FC crew gets proper screen time.
Fassbender owns the screen as Magneto. They need him to stick around for awhile. FC brought more energy with it's cast then the previous films. Would be a shame if this was their last film.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #320
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Look I defently agree Cyclops should have been used more but I understand why In X2 he was.That was going along with It beingpartly based on God Loves Man Kills.Cyclops wa taken prisoner for a lot of that story too.

Bryan had nothing to do with third film.Dan Harris and Mihael dougherty has said the plan was to make up for cylops In third film before Alan horne offered to let Bryan do whatever he wanted with Superman while Tom Rothman was wasting time instead of signing bryan to do third film.

They openly talked about problem with Xavier being so powerful.That's why he was put In coma for third act of X-Men

For all the crtism of Hugh jackman being focusof trilogy the same thing was done with first Class with Michael fassbender.A case can be made of James Mcavoy getting short changed with First Class.

The focus In DOFP Is going to b on wolverine+First Class returnes and possibly Trask,who Peter Dinklage Is almost certinly playing.

If Fassbender plays Magneto again depends on how this film ends and what I the plan for future.If on was smart they would grab Fassbender as Bond when Craig leaves,and If they keep up these long breaks between films that could be sooner than some think.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #321
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

wolverine being the main focus was worse

In X2 when when the xmen and xavier is giving his speech to the president it's all goin well but to end the scene wolverine had take the moment and say "we will be watching" and then they vanished

I don't get why they had to give him that line there

Old 06-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #322
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Because wolverine was still head of ensemble.Just like Robert Downey JR will be head of ensemble of any Avengers sequel disney will pay him fortune to do.

Don'tfrget In X2 Wolverine mostly during battle of Aklai lake went In search of his past,battle deathstrike,and encountered stryker when he was trying to flee.

It was others who saved the captives and saved the world from Stryker's plans not
Wolverine.And this was In a Bryan directed film.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #323
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
wolverine being the main focus was worse

In X2 when when the xmen and xavier is giving his speech to the president it's all goin well but to end the scene wolverine had take the moment and say "we will be watching" and then they vanished

I don't get why they had to give him that line there
because not only is Wolverine the most popular X-men but Jackman became a superstar because of these films..

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #324
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
because not only is Wolverine the most popular X-men but Jackman became a superstar because of these films..
But ther has to be a point where you say lets give someone else this badass line, it seems like a bad writers mistake

Old 06-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #325
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Did they really need to In the Avengers have Stark confront Loki In penthouse? Of course not that was done to give Downey more screentime against Loki.Iron Man In films anyway Is most popular Avenger.Just Like Wolverine has always been the most popular
X-Man.In 1 hour and 30 minture or 2 hour films wolverine Is always going to get a lot of
focus.Jackman,james Mcavoy,and Michael fassbender are probally DOFP cast members
who get most screentime.Although jackman and Jennifer Lawrence will probally get the
most focus In promtion.