The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #276
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isearch4dope View Post
Yeah...If there's one positive I can take from TDKR it's thinking of new ways to do things and it has also sky-rocketed my interest in getting into film making or at least being involved in some part of it.
That's cool man. I'm a TV editor, but I'd love to get more involved with the film side of things, and I'm still dabbling a little with writing. I find screenwriting to be extremely, extremely challenging so I've definitely got a healthy respect for it.

But yeah, the whole trilogy has been a huge inspiration for me in my line of work.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 05-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #277
Ryan
Side-Kick

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

I think I must be in the minority (which is fine) that didn't like the pit scenes. I kinda viewed it like...ok...he's in a pit, he's going to jump a few times and not make it, but in the end he will. There was no real surprise for me in it, and I honestly didn't have any kind of emotional feeling about it either.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #278
Isearch4dope
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
That's cool man. I'm a TV editor, but I'd love to get more involved with the film side of things, and I'm still dabbling a little with writing. I find screenwriting to be extremely, extremely challenging so I've definitely got a healthy respect for it.

But yeah, the whole trilogy has been a huge inspiration for me in my line of work.
That's batawesome and you're way closer to it than me. Writing of any sorts for me is a b**** but I'm more of an idea guy. Inspiration isn't the word....I think the trilogy has genuinely sparked a REVOLUTION

Old 05-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #279
Isearch4dope
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I think I must be in the minority (which is fine) that didn't like the pit scenes. I kinda viewed it like...ok...he's in a pit, he's going to jump a few times and not make it, but in the end he will. There was no real surprise for me in it, and I honestly didn't have any kind of emotional feeling about it either.
Yup that's the feeling right there. Now tell me if a personalized pit (emotionally personalized) below Wayne Tech in Bane's lair wouldn't at least make you want to see how on earth he's going to escape that one or something other than just a jump to be made

Old 05-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #280
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Really? What about Bruce's struggle? Knowing that he really has to dig down deep to eventually make the jump, because he isn't the same man from the first two films. Nothing? Oh well. I bet that second act felt like forever then, lol.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #281
Ryan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isearch4dope View Post
Yup that's the feeling right there. Now tell me if a personalized pit (emotionally personalized) below Wayne Tech in Bane's lair wouldn't at least make you want to see how on earth he's going to escape that one or something other than just a jump to be made
I mean, that's a good question. I don't really know. The only touching scene for me in the whole trilogy was when Batman was telling Gordon who he was. I thought that was a nice touch. But for most of the trilogy I"d either experience intrigue,excitement or dread when they'd start playing that Joker theme, as you didn't know what was going to happen. I didn't get those things out of the pit scenes and most of TDKR to be honest.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #282
Ryan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
Really? What about Bruce's struggle? Knowing that he really has to dig down deep to eventually make the jump, because he isn't the same man from the first two films. Nothing? Oh well. I bet that second act felt like forever then, lol.
Ha, ya,,,,,it did feel like forever. Again, mainly because I knew where it was going. I mean, I guess all I could think of was the Rocky movie (which I saw as a kid)when he fights the Russian. Back then I really got into the whole "finding yourself and getting back to the basics of what made you" type of deal. Either because I've seen it done before (see Rocky reference) or some other reason, I honestly had no 'feeling' about the pit jumping. I honestly am just not a huge fan of films that tread familiar ground and I like to be surprised. Hence why I liked the Batman reveal to Gordon...I didn't see that coming and I enjoyed it.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #283
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
A Gotham based dungeon could lie beneath Crime Alley. Bruce could pull his broken body up through a hole in the ground, where his parents lay dead and Batman was born. If it only became apparent once he stood in the cold outside air, then I then wouldn't seem contrived.

Just an idea, anyway.
That sounds so amazing.

- The Joker
Old 05-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #284
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
A Gotham based dungeon could lie beneath Crime Alley. Bruce could pull his broken body up through a hole in the ground, where his parents lay dead and Batman was born. If it only became apparent once he stood in the cold outside air, then I then wouldn't seem contrived.

Just an idea, anyway.
Cool idea. Poetic. The only problem is that Nolan didn't really make crime alley aesthetically distinctive. It looked like any other stinky and wet backdrop. So the pure aesthetic power of Batman literally climbing out of where his parents were killed might be lessened. Another instance where Nolan's visual mundane-ness hinders a great idea.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 05-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #285
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

So apparently Interstellar is looking to be the last 70mm IMAX production before the company shifts almost entirely to the 4k laser system. There will still be a few select theaters that use 70mm prints, but Interstellar will most likely be the last Hollywood film to shoot on 70mm.

This saddens me.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 05-15-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #286
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
In other words you were happier with what you were given, as opposed to what we could have gotten. That's fine if you feel that way. That's not what I asked you. You're acting so close minded that you can't or won't entertain the idea that we could have gotten much better than what we were given.

People feel a much better story was possible than what we got. Looking at TDKR that is easy to see. Furthermore name one movie that disappointed fans where they don't offer alternative suggestions of what could have been done as opposed to what was done. TDKR is hardly the first movie where fans talk about that. That's a natural reaction. If people are unhappy with a movie because it fell short for them, they discuss ways it could have been better.
We could have gotten something else, sure, but the eight year gap doesn't effect me as much as others because Batman had already done plenty within his year of activity. But this isn't where I'm supposedly "close minded" about. I'm supposedly "close minded" about with the idea that some can actually say that Nolan didn't have the heart in TDKR and didn't truly follow up TDK the way it "should've been", but yet Nolan has said that he felt this was the natural progression to go. To say the director acted like this or that is just petty to say, imo.

Quote:
Where is this happening? The movie is criticized for what it is, and not for not being a TDK clone. I asked you to show me proof that most of these detractors are doing what you say, and you haven't given it. Considering you claim it's a predominant thing, you should be able to provide many sources of this.

But no, you give me some hearsay.
Think what you'd like to believe, I'm sure you always will anyways, but I just know that in the beginning, people tried to compare the two without viewing one film as itself. I rarely read as many comparisons with BB and TDK as I read between TDK and TDKR.

Quote:
So you keep saying. When you start backing up this hearsay about all of these people, I'll take this argument seriously.

I hate when people try and speak on the behalf of others just to ease their own minds about why a movie they love gets criticized.
And I'll take the asinine talk of Nolan having no heart in making TDKR seriously as well with proof, lol

Quote:
So does everyone else. It's not one set of rules for one movie and a different set for another.
Hah, okay. That's why there has been articles of the problems with TDKR that no one ever talks about that indeed happened in BB and TDK...alright...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
It is bizarre. The explanation we get is that Bane is too psycho for Ra's LOS and that Talia just wanted revenge. Its a kinda meh motivation for the villains to be honest.
Revenge isn't a "meh" motivation. It's a natural motivation you will likely see when it comes to many villains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Cool idea. Poetic. The only problem is that Nolan didn't really make crime alley aesthetically distinctive. It looked like any other stinky and wet backdrop. So the pure aesthetic power of Batman literally climbing out of where his parents were killed might be lessened. Another instance where Nolan's visual mundane-ness hinders a great idea.
Agreed. Nolan didn't spend too much time on his version of Crime Alley for it to really mean anything to the audience or even Bruce himself.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #287
the last son
Side-Kick

The chick playing mj isn't hot. I don't care about hit enough for a comic character just in general.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #288
the last son
Side-Kick

TDKR I haven't seen since it came out and don't plan on seeing it again. It was just too boring. Not enough fight scenes.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #289
Ryan
Side-Kick

I have no idea if Nolan's heart was in TDKR or not. I'm guessing that Heath's death affected everyone pretty hard and I'm guessing that a lot of people on set would have missed seeing him revisit the role he made so famous, but more so, the man that they got to know and like so well.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #290
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
The chick playing mj isn't hot. I don't care about hit enough for a comic character just in general.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #291
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
So apparently Interstellar is looking to be the last 70mm IMAX production before the company shifts almost entirely to the 4k laser system. There will still be a few select theaters that use 70mm prints, but Interstellar will most likely be the last Hollywood film to shoot on 70mm.

This saddens me.
Wow, that's depressing.
I still kick myself daily for not seeing The Master in 70mm. Such an unbelievably gorgeous way to see a film.

Free Original Music
Old 05-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #292
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
It would have helped if your "if" had been mentioned anywhere in the film. Instead we get a bunch of talk about "anyone could be Batman" (a phrase I strongly dislike - its not true).
I've always been curious about this complaint. What about Dick Grayson's time as Batman or Terry?

Old 05-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #293
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post

Just an idea, anyway.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #294
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

I was still kinda sad that they never got to do this in the trilogy...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

OT... Man I could watch Phantasm any day of the week and watch it from beginning to end.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:07 PM   #295
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
I was still kinda sad that they never got to do this in the trilogy...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

OT... Man I could watch Phantasm any day of the week and watch it from beginning to end.
That's probably my favorite moment in the entire Batman mythos
I literally get chocked up every time Bruce says "I didn't count on being happy."
Oh, man, here come the waterworks

Free Original Music
Old 05-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #296
JackWhite
Third Man

If there is one thing Nolan didn't do, it's the Bruce at his parents grave scene. I was willing to put money on us getting it in TDKR.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #297
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
I thought it was pretty cut and dry. Gotham will need a new Batman, because the people can't take care of themselves, and their structures will fail those who want to do good (Blake).

This was undoubtedly meant to be ironic, juxtaposed with a scared populace awkwardly coming out of their holes after having done nothing to save themselves.
Maybe I'm just crazy here but I have a very different interpretation of the ending. To quote myself:

Quote:
Now, let us examine the final shot of the entire trilogy: Blake rising on the platform in the Batcave. The obvious symbolism here is that Blake is going to become the next Batman, the new Dark Knight rising. But let's look a little deeper, specifically at what is around him during this shot. Water. An element important to the film is ice, even going so far as to have it as what forms the Batsymbol in the title. In the previous films, the symbol has been made of bats and explosions. This signifies something about Bruce in every case. I don't think I need to explain Begins. But for The Dark Knight, the explosions symbolize Bruce's self destruction in progress as he dives too far into Batman. In The Dark Knight Rises, the ice cracking symbolizes Bruce breaking free of the empty wasteland (the ice) that is his psyche.

So, ice. Ice is a major visual theme in the film. It symbolizes the cold, emptiness that is Bruce's consciousness at the beginning of the film. And it, and snow, are a symbol of how dead Gotham and Bruce are without Batman. But by the end of the film, those final scenes after Bruce fakes his death, the ice has cleared. No more snow. No more dead trees. It's all alive. Logically, would they have waited for all the snow to clear before having a funeral for Bruce? No. So there must be another reason for this. This would likely be a few days after at most, which seemed to be the middle of winter. Bruce has broken free of his own barrier and has freed the city of it's, symbolized in both cases by the ice and snow that is now clear. If you even want to take it a little further, notice that the Pit is in a very hot climate. What does ice do in a hot climate? It melts. It disappears, just like Bruce's mental barrier. Now, the final shot of the film is Robin "John" Blake rising on the platform to most likely take up the mantle. What surrounds him as he does this? Water. A symbol of the eternal, the everlasting. Just like Batman. Batman in this is an idea, a symbol. The water represents Batman as an everlasting symbol, like how it was used in Inception as a symbol of infinite subconscious. So, the final shot is not just about Blake taking up the mantle, it's about Batman being an everlasting symbol and more than any one man.

Blake taking up Batman's mantle by the end of the film is both literal and a representation of the youth that Batman has inspired that will protect the city in his absence. Bruce can watch his city heal itself through the inspiration the symbol of Batman has created within this new generation that is far more than he could ever do beating up thugs on the streets. He has both become more than a man and just a man. He has created an eternal, everlasting symbol of hope but now has allowed himself to truly live as a man, rather than the self destructive existence he has known.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
I see a beautiful city and a brilliant people rising from this abyss. I see the lives for which I lay down my life, peaceful, useful, prosperous and happy. I see that I hold a sanctuary in their hearts, and in the hearts of their descendants, generations hence. It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Last edited by Snow Queen; 05-15-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #298
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Edit: Honestly, I was so invested in the pit aspect of the movie that I'd LOVE for this still from the Oscar campaign to be the cover for TDKR in the Collector's Edition set:

I completely agree and think that these images should be the covers for BB and TDK:

BB:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Or

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

And, for TDK, a frame from when Bruce is in the chair with the cowl in his hands and the armour all over the floor. I just can't find a picture of it for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
I would actually hate that. I liked that Bruce got out of the pit on his own. It's his own physical and emotional challenge that he has to overcome. Some already had issues with someone else ending Bane, imagine the uproar if he can't even get out of the pit by himself and the only reason he got out was because of Blake.
I agree, especially since it furthers the parallels and how Bruce rises above his pain while Bane is still trapped there (since Bruce escaped and he was rescued) and cannot escape it. The Pit is pain and not having Bruce escape on his own defeats his character arc entirely.

Last edited by Snow Queen; 05-15-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #299
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
We could have gotten something else, sure, but the eight year gap doesn't effect me as much as others because Batman had already done plenty within his year of activity. But this isn't where I'm supposedly "close minded" about. I'm supposedly "close minded" about with the idea that some can actually say that Nolan didn't have the heart in TDKR and didn't truly follow up TDK the way it "should've been", but yet Nolan has said that he felt this was the natural progression to go. To say the director acted like this or that is just petty to say, imo.
Nobody says Nolan didn't have his heart in it, they say it feels like Nolan didn't have his heart in this movie because the quality of it is a dramatic drop from the previous two movies.

A director doesn't have to physically say it in an interview. It shows in his work. Like an artist.

Quote:
Think what you'd like to believe, I'm sure you always will anyways, but I just know that in the beginning, people tried to compare the two without viewing one film as itself. I rarely read as many comparisons with BB and TDK as I read between TDK and TDKR.
I'd love to see where all these comparisons were. I really would.

Quote:
And I'll take the asinine talk of Nolan having no heart in making TDKR seriously as well with proof, lol
As I already said it's not stated as a fact. As an opinion based on the quality of the movie itself.

Quote:
Hah, okay. That's why there has been articles of the problems with TDKR that no one ever talks about that indeed happened in BB and TDK...alright...
BB and TDK had plenty of articles picking apart their plots, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
And, for TDK, a frame from when Bruce is in the chair with the cowl in his hands and the armour all over the floor. I just can't find a picture of it for some reason.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 05-15-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #300
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Thank you. Exactly that.

I just think having three Bruce Wayne covers works perfectly for this trilogy.

Closed Thread