The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #326
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,457
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Rag, I think we were just expecting the opposite movie quite frankly. You wanted to see a movie where Bruce Wayne becomes the symbol, I got the movie I wanted because I got to see Bruce arrive at peace AND preserve the true meaning of the symbol for future generations. This is the ending I was hoping for before the movie even came out. When I defend TDKR I'm not merely saying I enjoyed it as a fun Batman movie (of course I did), I'm evaluating it as a film but moreso as a trilogy films.

I've heard the argument of how Bruce would be a symbol to unite the classes, but something about that does not exactly sit right with me. There really are many corrupt rich people in the world. Just because one went above and beyond, that should mean the revolting populace is pacified into no longer resenting the rich and realizing the error of their ways? I think that would be just as condescending as not showing the citizens fighting alongside the police supposedly was. It would make the Batman mythos seem more like more of some sort of conservative masturbatory fantasy than it already gets accused of being.

TDKR addresses some hard truths about the world, truths that aren't going away any time soon and truths that superheroes cannot punch in the face. And yet, the film still leaves me with hope at the end. That to me is the mark of a great film.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
Prestige and Memento are much much better movies than Rises. But this is a movie where Nolan clearly shows is evolving technique. It doesnt have his virtuoso structures and cross-cutting , but from a pure visual storytelling it's definitely him at his best.
I agree, Nolan tells more story with visuals in Rises than any of his previous films. Which you could say is more "pure" filmmaking.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #327
The_Raganork
I'm Cute.
 
The_Raganork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Metaverse
Posts: 13,043
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
Oh come on...again with the i cant know , saw or read or understand ? Yesterday was the other user. sheesh

Off course i've seen them all. Prestige extremely elliptical cut structure through space and time is still Nolan's at is highest , but overall Rises is much stronger in visual compositions matching the structure and content of the narrative.

Prestige and Memento are much much better movies than Rises. But this is a movie where Nolan clearly shows is evolving technique. It doesnt have his virtuoso structures and cross-cutting , but from a pure visual storytelling it's definitely him at his best.
I'm not saying you don't understand. I'm saying you're not acknowledging the flaws in TDKR and you haven't. No matter what I or anyone else says about TDKR you simply say: "Well, I liked it". I'm not being insulting to you I'm not sure why you're being so defensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
......DAMN !

Where's that user who said people who defended the movie (and resort to that style of argument) were patronizing and ignorant ?

I think i know a thing or two about filmmaking , and i say this without no doubts. Rises , from a strictly technical point of view , completely craps all over any other Nolan movie (i dont even need to put the superhero genre )
I also want to point out that what you said in these two quotes are almost totally different.

First you say Rises craps on all of Nolan's other films.

Then you give me ways Nolan's other films are ultimately better...

__________________
Soundcloud.com/The-Qualia-Criterion
The_Raganork is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #328
Tequilla
Side-Kick
 
Tequilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: P
Posts: 1,804
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Films don't end in technique . Why is that a doubt ?

Tequilla is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #329
The_Raganork
I'm Cute.
 
The_Raganork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Metaverse
Posts: 13,043
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
. You wanted to see a movie where Bruce Wayne becomes the symbol
We, on this board, have got to stop telling people what they feel.

I didn't /want/ to see anything aside from a good movie. For me a good movie fulfills what it's trying to do. Even if what it's trying to do isn't what I want it to do I see it as a good film.

BB, TDK and at least half of TDKR sets up the idea that Wayne will redeem his family name and become a symbol for the people. It's hinted at and suggested by characters throughout the entire series and then dropped in the middle of TDKR. I've given you plenty of examples in my last post. Your counter to me is: "You're upset you didn't get what you wanted"

I can't be more plain about what the three films have said and how they didn't follow through.

I will say again though: I don't care about the film I wanted. If I did I wouldn't like any movies. No movie has given EXACTLY what I expected and if it did it would be predictable. It's not a sensible argument to tell me or anyone else the reason they didn't like the film is because it didn't go exactly the way they wanted to.

Quote:
I've heard the argument of how Bruce would be a symbol to unite the classes, but something about that does not exactly sit right with me. There really are many corrupt rich people in the world. Just because one went above and beyond, that should mean the revolting populace is pacified into no longer resenting the rich and realizing the error of their ways?
You're rationalizing ideas from within the film with events that take place in real life?

Why?

I just don't understand how people think sometimes.

Just because one politician that everyone loved turned out to be a murderer would people revolt against their entire city to the point where it would be in shambles? No? Well that's what happened in TDKR.

I gave you an idea and how that idea would flow throughout the film and keep the structure of TDKR intact without changing the ultimate outcome of the film. So... it fits within the film structure, provides something more and takes away from nothing but yet it still doesn't sit right...
I think that would be just as condescending as not showing the citizens fighting alongside the police supposedly was. It would make the Batman mythos seem more like more of some sort of conservative masturbatory fantasy than it already gets accused of being.

Quote:
TDKR addresses some hard truths about the world, truths that aren't going away any time soon and truths that superheroes cannot punch in the face. And yet, the film still leaves me with hope at the end. That to me is the mark of a great film.
Hard truths like people will destroy their own city than sit on their asses for someone to save them.




Quote:
I agree, Nolan tells more story with visuals in Rises than any of his previous films. Which you could say is more "pure" filmmaking.
ugh

__________________
Soundcloud.com/The-Qualia-Criterion
The_Raganork is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #330
The_Raganork
I'm Cute.
 
The_Raganork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Metaverse
Posts: 13,043
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
Films don't end in technique . Why is that a doubt ?
the two things you said are counter to each other. Now that you've clarified in the second post I'm more inclined to agree with you but please don't try to make it seem as if you were perfectly clear in your idea the first time.

Rises can't crap on all of Nolan's other films and his some of his other films be superior at the same time.

Again...To some degree I agree with your second post. TDKR is a very visual film. It looks beautiful. I don't see how you think it tells a story. It's just nice landscapes and some great work with IMAX but you certainly couldn't watch TDKR with the sound off and understand it.

__________________
Soundcloud.com/The-Qualia-Criterion
The_Raganork is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #331
Tequilla
Side-Kick
 
Tequilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: P
Posts: 1,804
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

You simply misread my first post

Quote:
Rises , from a strictly technical point of view
I've wrote a bunch of times in this boards about some Nolan rankings. Prestige and Memento are in a class apart in the director filmography. Rises never touches them.

Tequilla is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #332
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 23,941
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I agree, Nolan tells more story with visuals in Rises than any of his previous films. Which you could say is more "pure" filmmaking.
More so than Inception, where the whole narrative was effectively entwined with the visuals?

__________________
Better Off ----> Out
Love Freedom?
regwec is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #333
The_Raganork
I'm Cute.
 
The_Raganork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Metaverse
Posts: 13,043
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
You simply misread my first post



I've wrote a bunch of times in this boards about some Nolan rankings. Prestige and Memento are in a class apart in the director filmography. Rises never touches them.
I didn't misread anything.

You say from a technical point of view... a lot of things are technical. Editing is technical, sound is technical.

You simply weren't specific to visuals.

I haven't been on this boards in almost a years time now. I'm sorry if I missed your 800+ post.

__________________
Soundcloud.com/The-Qualia-Criterion
The_Raganork is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #334
Tequilla
Side-Kick
 
Tequilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: P
Posts: 1,804
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raganork View Post
I didn't misread anything.

You say from a technical point of view... a lot of things are technical. Editing is technical, sound is technical.

You simply weren't specific to visuals.

I haven't been on this boards in almost a years time now. I'm sorry if I missed your 800+ post.
Globally i find it his best. Globally. It encompasses different categories. All in all ...it's his best from a technique point of view. It's exactly the same thing i said in the first post. So maybe not a misread. A misunderstanding

I wasn't saying that you need to know anything i wrote. Just that i would never put these Batman movies over those 2 particular films .

Tequilla is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #335
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,457
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raganork View Post
We, on this board, have got to stop telling people what they feel.
As long as you're including yourself in that, since you're implying those who enjoyed the movie just enjoyed it as a fun Batman movie and are letting that cloud their judgment.

I thought my statement was fair. It was based on posts you were making here before the movie came out, and now you're using the same arguments to justify why you think that would've been a better movie. That doesn't preclude you giving the movie a chance on its own terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raganork View Post
I didn't /want/ to see anything aside from a good movie. For me a good movie fulfills what it's trying to do. Even if what it's trying to do isn't what I want it to do I see it as a good film.
That's fine. You'll notice I never said, "You don't like the movie because...". I only observed that the movie you seem to have wanted was quite different than the one we got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raganork View Post
BB, TDK and at least half of TDKR sets up the idea that Wayne will redeem his family name and become a symbol for the people. It's hinted at and suggested by characters throughout the entire series and then dropped in the middle of TDKR. I've given you plenty of examples in my last post. Your counter to me is: "You're upset you didn't get what you wanted"

I can't be more plain about what the three films have said and how they didn't follow through.
I think he does redeem his family name by turning Wayne Manor into an orphanage for the city's at-risk youth in his will. Is there anything more Thomas and Martha-like than that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raganork View Post
I will say again though: I don't care about the film I wanted. If I did I wouldn't like any movies. No movie has given EXACTLY what I expected and if it did it would be predictable. It's not a sensible argument to tell me or anyone else the reason they didn't like the film is because it didn't go exactly the way they wanted to.
I completely agree with you there. But it's also important to remember that we all entered this movie with a TON of baggage. It's not like just seeing any old movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raganork View Post
You're rationalizing ideas from within the film with events that take place in real life?

Why?
Because movies have messages and subtext to them. I wouldn't have necessarily enjoyed the subtext of that message.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raganork View Post
Just because one politician that everyone loved turned out to be a murderer would people revolt against their entire city to the point where it would be in shambles? No? Well that's what happened in TDKR.
Under the right circumstances, why not? Remember it's not like the whole populace revolted. Just a small number of the disenfranchised and freed oppressed prisoners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raganork View Post
ugh
Okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
More so than Inception, where the whole narrative was effectively entwined with the visuals?
I would say so, yeah. Inception to me was more about the virtuosity of the editing than the visual composition in terms of getting the story across. Of course visually it was superb, too.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #336
Ryan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,067
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raganork View Post
We, on this board, have got to stop telling people what they feel.

I didn't /want/ to see anything aside from a good movie. For me a good movie fulfills what it's trying to do. Even if what it's trying to do isn't what I want it to do I see it as a good film.
Can't say it any better then that. Again and I've said again, I don't understand the need to pigeon hole people, especially with absurd ideas like the TDK 2.0 Theory. If someone didn't like TDKR because they wanted it to be like TDK then that's there loss. I haven't heard anyone say they wanted it to be similar to TDK, but I have heard people saying they wish it was of the same quality of TDK.
I consider TDK to be the best comic book movie of all time. Did I initially think that? No. When I first saw it, I expected it to be more like Batman Begins...or rather Batman Begins 2.0. So at first, I was a bit put off by the difference. I was looking for an actual extension where Batman would be chasing down inmates from Arkham, that I'd see a grungy Gotham, and hear more about the impact of the fear toxin on the city. I remember even reading that maybe the Joker was going to be created by the fear toxin. At the end of the days, little from Begins was addressed and honestly, it didn't need to be. I LOVED the idea that Nolan was going in a new direction and while some loose ends would be tied up, it was the end all be all to rehash stuff from a previous movie. Hence my problems with TDKR. Other then dealing with the "dent lie" and the 'batman murderer" conspiracies, I would have been totally fine without the return of the LOS, the appearance of Ras, the flashbacks etc etc. I understand that Nolan did not want to 'inflate the balloon" any further with this story, however, I wasn't expecting him to retreat into it either. I had a bad feeling when I saw the first teaser trailer using footage from Begins, and voice overs from Liam that this was suddenly going to turn into typical ending and for me, that's exactly what it did. For others that loved all the connections in TDKR to the previous films,that's fine, its just a matter of personal taste and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Wish I could say the same.

Ryan is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #337
The_Raganork
I'm Cute.
 
The_Raganork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Metaverse
Posts: 13,043
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
As long as you're including yourself in that, since you're implying those who enjoyed the movie just enjoyed it as a fun Batman movie and are letting that cloud their judgment.
I only said this is how I initially perceive people who enjoyed the film. I'm not actually putting any validation on what my knee-jerk reaction is. I'm sure some people love it because they think it's a masterpiece.

Quote:
I thought my statement was fair. It was based on posts you were making here before the movie came out, and now you're using the same arguments to justify why you think that would've been a better movie. That doesn't preclude you giving the movie a chance on its own terms.
Anything I said came from a point of what the production showed us was going to happen and what the other two films showed us what these characters and world was about. When the third film turned on that I became irked. That's not something I'm disliking because I'm subjective about it. It's because it's not what it said it was going to be. TDK wasn't like anything I thought it was going to be and I liked that.

I recently saw Oblivion. I thought it was going to be considerably different. It wasn't as bad as I feared and, in my opinion, completely what it intended to do.

This is not about what /I/ want from these movies. It's about how the movie is presented to us and what we actually get. Like Iron Man 3 when Kingsely turns out not to be the Mandarin It ruined the whole film for me because the movie is marketed as Kingsley being the Mandarin and the film itself treats him as the Mandarin then drops it for the sake of laughs. In my opinion that's horrific and TDKR says one thing int he first half and something else in the second. (and doesn't abide to BB and TDK)



Quote:
That's fine. You'll notice I never said, "You don't like the movie because...". I only observed that the movie you seem to have wanted was quite different than the one we got.
I wanted a movie only consistent with itself and it's prequels...so to some degree you're right. I didn't get the film I wanted.



Quote:
I think he does redeem his family name by turning Wayne Manor into an orphanage for the city's at-risk youth in his will. Is there anything more Thomas and Martha-like than that?
Except he didn't bring up Thomas or Martha as a reason for doing it at all. He did it because John Blake told him to. There is no accountability between Bruce and his dead parents. They throw us a small bone at the end with the orphanage but how does that, at all, relate to his parents? Wouldn't it have related to them better if he had a memory of his father talking about an orphanage or something? Wouldn't it have been more married with the memory of his parents if, you know.... his parents were somehow involved with his reasons for doing things?



Quote:
I completely agree with you there. But it's also important to remember that we all entered this movie with a TON of baggage. It's not like just seeing any old movie.
Sure but there's no way to measure if that affected my viewing of the film. I'm telling you it's not as you will surely tell me it isn't the sole reason you like the film.



Quote:
Because movies have messages and subtext to them. I wouldn't have necessarily enjoyed the subtext of that message.
But films aren't bound by what happens in the real world. I'm not understanding the disconnect with you accepting that something like Bane could happen to a city with the people's expressed permission but can't accept the opposite, that a man who does good, would inspire them to do good too.

It is of the same value but on a different side of the scale. Fine don't like it personally but don't tell me it doesn't fit into the film when we know it does. If you put someone pure evil into a film you can have someone pure good. Because that's a balance. They are of the same denomination but not the same creed.




Quote:
Under the right circumstances, why not? Remember it's not like the whole populace revolted. Just a small number of the disenfranchised and freed oppressed prisoners.
Ask yourself this question mulling my idea now but change disenfranchised and freed oppressed prisoners to something more... socially fit.

__________________
Soundcloud.com/The-Qualia-Criterion
The_Raganork is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #338
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,457
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raganork View Post
I only said this is how I initially perceive people who enjoyed the film. I'm not actually putting any validation on what my knee-jerk reaction is. I'm sure some people love it because they think it's a masterpiece.
Okay, I might have missed some of the nuance of what you were saying there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raganork View Post
Anything I said came from a point of what the production showed us was going to happen and what the other two films showed us what these characters and world was about. When the third film turned on that I became irked. That's not something I'm disliking because I'm subjective about it. It's because it's not what it said it was going to be. TDK wasn't like anything I thought it was going to be and I liked that.
Again this is where the fundamental difference of opinion comes into play. I never got the impression that the "Bruce/White Knight" ending was 100% where this franchise was heading. It was one possible ending, sure. I just didn't feel the same betrayal and I never thought the white knight ending was promised or the inevitable conclusion the films were building toward. To me the only inevitability was that "Batman" would be redeemed somehow in the eyes of Gotham and Bruce would arrive at a new state of being- most likely via death or leaving Batman behind for good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raganork View Post
I recently saw Oblivion. I thought it was going to be considerably different. It wasn't as bad as I feared and, in my opinion, completely what it intended to do.
I had a similar experience. Oblivion was not great, but it was pretty solid and accomplished what it set out to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raganork View Post
This is not about what /I/ want from these movies. It's about how the movie is presented to us and what we actually get. Like Iron Man 3 when Kingsely turns out not to be the Mandarin It ruined the whole film for me because the movie is marketed as Kingsley being the Mandarin and the film itself treats him as the Mandarin then drops it for the sake of laughs. In my opinion that's horrific and TDKR says one thing int he first half and something else in the second. (and doesn't abide to BB and TDK)
I struggle to think of anything that egregious in TDKR in terms of false advertising. The Bane/Talia twist doesn't even come close to the Mandarin twist, because we aren't denied the thrill of experiencing Bane as a villain in the piece as promised, and it actually gives us some insight into his character rather than reducing him to comic relief. I'm not sure if that's the comparison you were making though, I don't think it was but there you go.



Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raganork View Post
Except he didn't bring up Thomas or Martha as a reason for doing it at all. He did it because John Blake told him to. There is no accountability between Bruce and his dead parents. They throw us a small bone at the end with the orphanage but how does that, at all, relate to his parents? Wouldn't it have related to them better if he had a memory of his father talking about an orphanage or something? Wouldn't it have been more married with the memory of his parents if, you know.... his parents were somehow involved with his reasons for doing things?
Why should it need to brought up? It's his father's house after all. Nothing represents the Wayne wealth and legacy in these films more than Wayne Manor (aside from the monorail which was downplayed after BB). Some things just speak for themselves. Even if Bruce is not consciously doing it for his parents, he is still doing something that they would be very proud of.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raganork View Post
Sure but there's no way to measure if that affected my viewing of the film. I'm telling you it's not as you will surely tell me it isn't the sole reason you like the film.
I believe you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raganork View Post
But films aren't bound by what happens in the real world. I'm not understanding the disconnect with you accepting that something like Bane could happen to a city with the people's expressed permission but can't accept the opposite, that a man who does good, would inspire them to do good too.

It is of the same value but on a different side of the scale. Fine don't like it personally but don't tell me it doesn't fit into the film when we know it does. If you put someone pure evil into a film you can have someone pure good. Because that's a balance. They are of the same denomination but not the same creed.
Okay, fair enough. I'll leave the subtext off the table and take that idea at face value as something that could be believable in the world of the film. I still don't think it's a superior substitute for what we got, because I find it to be thematically muddled and betraying the the promise that I personally perceived to be present in the first two movies: that the symbol of Batman would become a legend for Gotham. Supplanting the symbol with Bruce Wayne as a symbol, negating the possibility for Batman to ever exist again in Gotham, does betray that, to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raganork View Post
Ask yourself this question mulling my idea now but change disenfranchised and freed oppressed prisoners to something more... socially fit.
I think that's a different scenario entirely. The film shows some "regular" members of society (like the doorman) joining in on the revolution, but the vast majority of folks were holed up in their homes with their families. Honestly, I think that's the sane and normal reaction. It's what I'd be doing.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you here, not 100% sure what you were getting at.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #339
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

I'm just getting my popcorn ready...

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #340
Kane52630
Bio-Digtial Jazz, Man.
 
Kane52630's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Skynet
Posts: 69,364
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Ah yes, the return of the lengthy arguments. I'll just sit on the sidelines and watch this burn.

__________________
Design of Chaos

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Kane52630 is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #341
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
It's not the same thing. It's not a case of Raimi and Spider-Man 3 here where we know for certain he wasn't happy with the direction of the movie. The difference is TDKR feels like Nolan was not as invested in it as he was with the previous two movies. For many there's a big quality drop. That's why they say it doesn't feel like his heart was in it.

You can beg to differ all you like because you're one of the ones who thinks what we got was great. Fortunately not everyone sees it that way.
Too bad TDKR doesn't feel like that to most people, so there's that.

Quote:
Take a look around for myself? Ok, how about you point me to a few specific places I should be looking for this hearsay.
Take a look at the very first threads for TDKR when the film was released.

Quote:
Because you're stating something as factual. You're claiming people were actually saying these things. Thousands of them. So if it is so factual and happened so frequently you should be spoiled for choice in showing many examples of it.

Whereas the others who say they feel like Nolan's heart wasn't in the movie are basing that on a movie they perceive to be a much weaker than it's predecessors.


Quote:
Biggest reason why some can't enjoy TDKR, I believe, is that it's not like TDK. I will always believe this as much as others want to believe Nolan didn't have any heart in making TDKR.
Let's go way back to when I first mentioned it....now 'I believe' means it's factual, huh?

Because when I say 'I feel like' or 'I think', I'm making it factual? Hahaha. Jesus Christ man, you're overreacting now. I am only saying how I think non-fans of TDKR are as a good chunk looks at it as it not being a TDK 2.0 and that's why they are the way they are towards the film. It's as much as an opinion and not "factual" as someone saying they think Nolan had no heart while making TDKR.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #342
Kane52630
Bio-Digtial Jazz, Man.
 
Kane52630's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Skynet
Posts: 69,364
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Here's a pretty interesting article I found....

25 Blockbuster Threequels: Did They Sink Or Save Their Franchises?
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...hises-20130502

Quote:
"The Dark Knight Rises" (2012)
Franchise: Christopher Nolan's Batman films
How Threequel-y Was It: Having already set himself an unenviably high bar with both "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight," Christopher Nolan ratcheted the stakes even higher by insisting that "The Dark Knight Rises" would be the definitive end end, the final final installment of his Batman story. So arcs would close, contracts would be fulfilled and, whatever happened to the property next, these three films would always be a completed trilogy. What's impressive is the degree to which he made good on those promises -- "The Dark Knight Rises," is to us a fantastic example of how to round off a trilogy while leaving enough canonical possibilities open for someone else to take it somewhere else, without cheating the audience of a sense of satisfaction and closure. Yes, we agree that Nolan does occasionally take his eye off the ball when it comes to plot plausibility (really? It's the whole police department down there?), and sometimes skitters over details that a simple line of dialogue, or a tiny action beat could solve, but juggling so many strands simultaneously we cut him some slack. Especially considering that what he really nails is what sets this universe apart from that of other comic-based properties: there is a sense of time passed, lessons learned and people changed fundamentally that a more cartoonish approach could never really attain. More than a sequence of stories in which Batman works out how to defeat a bad guy, these films are about Bruce Wayne getting older, getting wiser and eventually, getting strong enough to leave Batman behind, and number 3 is where that agenda is writ largest.
Where does it rate in its franchise: Probably 2/3, though whether you consider it better than 'Dark Knight' and worse than 'Begins' or the other way round is a teensy bit more up for debate.

__________________
Design of Chaos

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Kane52630 is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #343
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger
 
Eggyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The good ol' days
Posts: 16,583
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

I actually prefer to look at this trilogy as a Gotham city story, rather than a Batman story. It works better that way, makes more sense. I'm not a fan of TDKR. At the most basic level it didn't tell a story I enjoyed. I see quality in it, but it just doesn't do anything for me. It looks good but doesn't get me going.

Eggyman is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #344
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jollity Farm
Posts: 37,958
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Too bad TDKR doesn't feel like that to most people, so there's that.
How do you know that? Just because people like the movie doesn't mean they don't feel he was not putting full effort into it. People can enjoy a movie for what it is but still feel it could have been more. Also aren't you the one trying to convince me that loads of people were saying the opposite?

Quote:
Take a look at the very first threads for TDKR when the film was released.
There was a million and one threads when TDKR was released. Could you be more vague?

Quote:
Let's go way back to when I first mentioned it....now 'I believe' means it's factual, huh?

Because when I say 'I feel like' or 'I think', I'm making it factual? Hahaha.
No, no, no you said loads of people were saying this. I asked you for some sources. You didn't give any.

Quote:
Jesus Christ man, you're overreacting now. I am only saying how I think non-fans of TDKR are as a good chunk looks at it as it not being a TDK 2.0 and that's why they are the way they are towards the film. It's as much as an opinion and not "factual" as someone saying they think Nolan had no heart while making TDKR.
At least those people are basing their opinion on something concrete, like the flaws of TDKR. You just look at them and say they wanted TDK 2.0 with no logic or reason to substantiate it.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #345
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!
 
Anita18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 24,643
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggyman View Post
I actually prefer to look at this trilogy as a Gotham city story, rather than a Batman story. It works better that way, makes more sense. I'm not a fan of TDKR. At the most basic level it didn't tell a story I enjoyed. I see quality in it, but it just doesn't do anything for me. It looks good but doesn't get me going.
At least that's fair. It wasn't your cup of tea, and you can acknowledge that. But to say that it was poorly made or a money-grab or how Nolan sucks now is overreacting, and why I don't really find it enjoyable to discuss the movie here anymore.

__________________
To relive the TDK virals (or learn more!) visit http://www.whysoseriousredux.com
Anita18 is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #346
milost
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,005
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

I really don't understand where this "TDK 2.0" stuff came from.

milost is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #347
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jollity Farm
Posts: 37,958
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by milost View Post
I really don't understand where this "TDK 2.0" stuff came from.
Imagination land.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #348
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Here's a pretty interesting article I found....

25 Blockbuster Threequels: Did They Sink Or Save Their Franchises?
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...hises-20130502
Very cool article. Once again, TDKR is praised

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
How do you know that? Just because people like the movie doesn't mean they don't feel he was not putting full effort into it. People can enjoy a movie for what it is but still feel it could have been more. Also aren't you the one trying to convince me that loads of people were saying the opposite?
Now it's "loads" of people? Lol. I've said from the beginning "a few", but okay, twist my words around, it's cool

Quote:
There was a million and one threads when TDKR was released. Could you be more vague?
LOL! Do you expect me to know which specific thread right off the top of my head?

It was one of the first poll threads on the rating for the film is when I started to read certain comparisons.

Quote:
No, no, no you said loads of people were saying this. I asked you for some sources. You didn't give any.
Show me where I started to say "loads of people", because I have actually either said a few, or the chunk of the people who didn't like TDKR viewed it that way. But a chunk of people also follows up with the few as in, the chunk of the few that didn't like TDKR. But, again, twist my words around for your convenience.

Quote:
At least those people are basing their opinion on something concrete, like the flaws of TDKR. You just look at them and say they wanted TDK 2.0 with no logic or reason to substantiate it.
They're basing nothing on their opinions actually. They only feel like they're basing it on concrete evidence when it's only their wishful thinking.

It's one thing to have proof such as how everyone knows what went wrong behind the scenes with Spider-Man 3, but it's another for it to only be wishful thinking when there's nothing "concrete" about Nolan losing his heart or whatever you want to call it while making TDKR.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #349
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger
 
Eggyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The good ol' days
Posts: 16,583
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
At least that's fair. It wasn't your cup of tea, and you can acknowledge that. But to say that it was poorly made or a money-grab or how Nolan sucks now is overreacting, and why I don't really find it enjoyable to discuss the movie here anymore.
I understand. It can get like that. I don't knock about much either anymore.

There were some things I loved in the film. The Bat. Always Gary Oldman. The cave. Anne's luscious lips and lady bits. Bale's best performance.

And the cinematography is breathtaking sometimes. Even the cuts on the floor are beautiful -- entering the party

__________________
HUMAN BEAN JUICE.

Last edited by Eggyman; 05-16-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Eggyman is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #350
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Imagination land.
Is that where the "concrete proof" comes from with Nolan not having any heart when making TDKR?

Anno_Domini is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.