The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #501
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
The movie clearly set it out that he retired the night of Dent's death. Not only does that small quote make it apparent, but his busted knee should be the nail in the coffin.
Exactly. The Dent and Rachel deaths are fresh in his mind, he has a busted knee, and he begins chilling in Wayne Manor for 8 years. Batman sightings cease.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
Old 05-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #502
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
Exactly. The Dent and Rachel deaths are fresh in his mind, he has a busted knee, and he begins chilling in Wayne Manor for 8 years. Batman sightings cease.
This is wrong.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #503
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
"Last confirmed sighting" leaves open UNCONFIRMED SIGHTINGS.
I don't think the word "vanishes" means there were rumors or "unconfirmed sightings". Again, the movie is very clear that Batman ceased to exist, or ummmm, "vanished" from the public/Gotham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
It's about that night. This night, eight years ago. The night that Dent died. The last confirmed sighting of the Batman. He murders those people, takes down two SWAT teams, breaks Dent's neck, and then just...vanishes.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #504
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Vanishes...which is why it's the last CONFIRMED sighting

Old 05-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #505
Travesty
TEOL

I guess 60% of the time, the word "vanishes" works all the time?

Old 05-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #506
georgec
Not a hero

Quote:
This is wrong.
And yet, I've read so many times that Bruce was holed up for all 8 years that I'm starting to believe it!

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #507
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I mean I suppose with that line of thinking we could say Batman also fought Darkseid between films. But is that what Nolan wanted us to think happened in the 8 year gap when he had Blake say that there were no confirmed sightings. Again, what would satisfy the audience that nothing happened after the night Dent died? You're the director/writer...what would have had Blake say other then "no confirmed sightings".
I think he could've just said "the last sighting" or "the last appearance".

"Confirmed" just automatically brings to mind the possibility of unconfirmed, unreported or unknown appearances...whether that was Nolan's intention or not.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 05-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #508
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
I don't think the word "vanishes" means there were rumors or "unconfirmed sightings". Again, the movie is very clear that Batman ceased to exist, or ummmm, "vanished" from the public/Gotham.
Agreed. From my point of view, for these eight years he's not Batman or actively engaging. His knee was busted and it made things difficult. He didn't put the knee braces on until Bane came to town. And Selina was the one who helped get him out of the rut he was in.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
Old 05-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #509
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post

"Confirmed" just automatically brings to mind the possibility of unconfirmed, unreported or unknown appearances...whether that was Nolan's intention or not.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #510
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post

Heh, but it still doesn't make sense from the way Nolan's Batman worked. He never brought down small-time crooks, he went out for the big organized mob style crooks. By the time TDK was over, the mob was completely crippled by The Joker, Batman had captured The Joker, and of course, killed Two-Face. Plus, like it's been stated so many times now, he was completely injured, so he couldn't have worked. Even if the Dent Act wasn't in place yet, he still had nobody to go after.

And if he was out and about, I think it would have been 100x easier to spot Batman hobbling around with a cane.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #511
Ryan
Side-Kick

But with the word "sighting" or "last appearance" I could argue the other way and say that both of those also lend themselves to the whole ninja theory. As stated above, just because he wasn't sighted, doesn't mean he wasn't out there. So again, I'd love to hear how Nolan could have Blake say something that would mean that Batman ceased to be Batman after Dent died. I think at this point, even if Nolan stated that he stopped being Batman after that night that people would still argue he was. Its kinda hard to form a counter point when people point to a lack of evidence...as being evidence. Again, why would my theory that he fought Darkseid in between films be any less valid? Mr. Reese even said that perhaps Lucious next project could be a 'spaceship".

Old 05-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #512
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Heh, but it still doesn't make sense from the way Nolan's Batman worked. He never brought down small-time crooks, he went out for the big organized mob style crooks. By the time TDK was over, the mob was completely crippled by The Joker, Batman had captured The Joker, and of course, killed Two-Face. Plus, like it's been stated so many times now, he was completely injured, so he couldn't have worked. Even if the Dent Act wasn't in place yet, he still had nobody to go after.

And if he was out and about, I think it would have been 100x easier to spot Batman hobbling around with a cane.
Who said Batman would come down to take down small time crooks? All I've read is the idea that Batman only sticks around just to view how clean Gotham City is becoming because of the mobs being taken out.

And how can he be completely injured? Bruce Wayne was stabbed by Ra's al Ghul and continued to fight. He was stabbed by Joker and continued to fight. He was stabbed by Talia al Ghul and continued to fight. Hurting his leg isn't a huge injury compared to being stabbed, imo.

Quote:
But with the word "sighting" or "last appearance" I could argue the other way and say that both of those also lend themselves to the whole ninja theory. As stated above, just because he wasn't sighted, doesn't mean he wasn't out there. So again, I'd love to hear how Nolan could have Blake say something that would mean that Batman ceased to be Batman after Dent died. I think at this point, even if Nolan stated that he stopped being Batman after that night that people would still argue he was. Its kinda hard to form a counter point when people point to a lack of evidence...as being evidence.
No one would bother to argue if Nolan indeed specified that Bruce stopped being Batman right on that night, but he didn't. He specifically mentioned "last confirmed sighting". The usage of "confirmed" can easily become ambiguous.

Quote:
Again, why would my theory that he fought Darkseid in between films be any less valid? Mr. Reese even said that perhaps Lucious next project could be a 'spaceship".
Ahh, jokes. C'mon man, you're going to actually think of this logic from Reese's line and NOT The Bat? Lol.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #513
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
All I've read is the idea that Batman only sticks around just to view how clean Gotham City is becoming because of the mobs being taken out.
He doesn't have to be Batman to hear the rest of the mob is going down and crime rates in Gotham are dropping.

Quote:
And how can he be completely injured? Bruce Wayne was stabbed by Ra's al Ghul and continued to fight. He was stabbed by Joker and continued to fight. He was stabbed by Talia al Ghul and continued to fight. Hurting his leg isn't a huge injury compared to being stabbed, imo.
How do you figure that? Did any of those flesh wound stabbings leave him visibly physically impaired in a major way the way that fall did when he was shown LIMPING and STUMBLING away at the end of TDK?

- The Joker
Old 05-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #514
georgec
Not a hero

It's not entirely impossible that people reported false sightings of Batman, whether this was out of the hope of seeing him or whether it was purely to stir up rumors in Gotham.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #515
Ryan
Side-Kick

Oh I'm definitely joking, but you can see how people can take stuff and turn it into whatever they want. Do I think that Reese's line meant a real spaceship...no..but I also don't think that line was written back then with the future intention of having The Bat. I remember people arguing until they were blue in the face that when Freeman tells Bruce that his new suit would work well against cats that it was definitely a "clue" that Catwoman would be in the next film. However in interviews it was said that Nolan wasn't fond of having Catwoman in this film and had to be persuaded to include her. Again, this decision to have Catwoman came much later after TDK. Again, I would have loved to have had some Batman "missing years" in the trilogy, but I just don't see that Nolan gave us that with TDKR. So if one can argue he might have been battling the Riddler, nothing stops me from saying he battled Darkseid.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #516
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
He doesn't have to be Batman to hear the rest of the mob is going down and crime rates in Gotham are dropping.
Very true...and that's why he probably doesn't stay as Batman for too long. Just saying Bruce doesn't quit being Batman that night.

Quote:
How do you figure that? Did any of those flesh wound stabbings leave him visibly physically impaired in a major way the way that fall did when he was shown LIMPING and STUMBLING away at the end of TDK?
The culmination of being shot and hurting his leg. Who's to say he'd be in that same health the next night?

Old 05-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #517
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Oh I'm definitely joking, but you can see how people can take stuff and turn it into whatever they want. Do I think that Reese's line meant a real spaceship...no..but I also don't think that line was written back then with the future intention of having The Bat. I remember people arguing until they were blue in the face that when Freeman tells Bruce that his new suit would work well against cats that it was definitely a "clue" that Catwoman would be in the next film. However in interviews it was said that Nolan wasn't fond of having Catwoman in this film and had to be persuaded to include her. Again, this decision to have Catwoman came much later after TDK. Again, I would have loved to have had some Batman "missing years" in the trilogy, but I just don't see that Nolan gave us that with TDKR. So if one can argue he might have been battling the Riddler, nothing stops me from saying he battled Darkseid.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #518
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
The culmination of being shot and hurting his leg. Who's to say he'd be in that same health the next night?
Logic, unless he has Wolverine's healing ability.

- The Joker
Old 05-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #519
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
And how can he be completely injured?
Because he was at the beginning of TDKR, and even Nolan said Bruce's injuries in TDKR were from the Dent fall.

Quote:
Bruce Wayne was stabbed by Ra's al Ghul and continued to fight. He was stabbed by Joker and continued to fight. He was stabbed by Talia al Ghul and continued to fight. Hurting his leg isn't a huge injury compared to being stabbed, imo.
So you're saying that being stabbed is worse than his leg injury, when a stab never put him out of commission, yet he was out from the Dent Fall?

According to the movie, his leg injury was worse than his stab wounds. That's just what was shown to us in these films.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #520
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Logic, unless he has Wolverine's healing ability.
Well he sure seemed like he had Wolverine's ability in BB and TDKR

Quote:
Because he was at the beginning of TDKR, and even Nolan said Bruce's injuries in TDKR were from the Dent fall.
Eight years after TDK, three of those where he didn't do anything in life where such an injury could've become worse for wear. That's the main thing on why the injury was the way it is in the beginning of TDKR.

Quote:
So you're saying that being stabbed is worse than his leg injury, when a stab never put him out of commission, yet he was out from the Dent Fall?

According to the movie, his leg injury was worse than his stab wounds. That's just what was shown to us in these films.
He was out because he quit. There is no logic to say he's out because of the leg injury when he could've easily fixed his leg as he did before Bruce returned as Batman.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #521
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Here's a really neat idea. How's about someone post something concrete beyond wishful conjecture that shows Bruce was active as Batman after Dent died.

We've all used movie quotes, Nolan quotes, script excerpts etc to back up what the movie blatantly already tells us. So how about the camp that is thinking the opposite come up with something equally as factual.

Lets see it.

- The Joker
Old 05-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #522
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Too bad nothing blatantly tells us that Bruce did quit that night, so there's that...

Old 05-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #523
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Too bad nothing blatantly tells us that Bruce did quit that night, so there's that...
"It's about that night 8 years ago, the night Dent died. The last confirmed sighting of the Batman"

Quote:
Christopher Nolan: The end of ‘The Dark Knight’ left the characters in a pretty interesting place. Because we’re trying to make one unified story here, so it’s not another episode, another Batman episode, if you like. For me, that meant really trying to be true to where the characters were left. And Bruce Wayne, as Batman, has made a rather large sacrifice at the end of ’The Dark Knight.’ For that to mean something, he really has to have succeeded in a sense, in his mission. He has to have a Gotham that at least superficially doesn’t need Batman anymore. And that leaves him frozen. And the eight year period is about showing that he’s retired in a sense, that he’s hung up his cape and his cowl. But he hasn’t been able to move on, he’s stuck.
http://www.flicksandbits.com/2012/07...t-rises/28690/

Now name give a quote from the movie, or a quote from ANYONE associated with the movie that suggests there was any Batman activity in those 8 years.

If your only response is something along the lines of "There could have been because last confirmed sighting could mean he was going around on his gimpy leg not interacting with anyone blah blah" then save your energy. I'm asking for facts, not conjecture.

- The Joker
Old 05-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #524
Anno_Domini
Banned User

You bring the same quotes that don't even confirm a thing.

Last CONFIRMED sighting means there could be plenty of UNCONFIRMED sightings.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #525
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
You bring the same quotes that don't even confirm a thing.
Really? Nolan saying the 8 year represents him hanging up the cape and cowl doesn't confirm anything?

Pull the other one it rings.

Quote:
Last CONFIRMED sighting means there could be plenty of UNCONFIRMED sightings.
Oh look you said it anyway. Saying there COULD be doesn't mean there was. That's why the onus is on those of you who believe there was Batman activity post TDK to supply some proof of it.

Otherwise your assertion of could have been is worthless. A million and one things could have happened. Without any proof of them they are nothing but baseless conjecture.

- The Joker
Closed Thread