The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #726
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
There's something weird about that Johnny Blake kid anyways.

I mean, who walks out of school with their Math textbook attached to a leather strap and slung over their shoulder?
So what you're saying is...Joker was right about ****ing with him and stealing his report card?

With how DC Comics tends to be inspired by Nolan's trilogy...what if they bring Johnny Blake back and he becomes the next Robin? Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
OK, so which weapon was cooler?

or

I loved both. The way Batman uses the "sticky bomb gun" in Hong Kong and in the final battle were ingenious ways and the EMP gun being used during Batman's return was amazing...sad to see how the EMP gun was destroyed the very first time Batman uses it though, lol. At least there is some satisfactory that Batman used an EMP-like device that shut off the lights in his fight with Bane as well as The Bat having an EMP-like device as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Anyone else here that comes to this thread just to cool off and temporarily get away from all the big debates and arguments taking place on this site? Or is it just me? I find that a bit ironic with this being the official TDKR discussion thread.
Very ironic when the last pages or so in this thread dealt with a heated debate, lol.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #727
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
The little sticky bomb gun with the timers on them was much cooler. He did cooler things with it.
Pretty much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Lol, the very definition of irony. But yeah, I know what you mean. It seems like every geek-movie that gets released these days ends up being extremely divisive. I hope Man o' Steel can break that trend a bit (though there will be haters, of course, it's inevitable).

Oh, and I'll go with the sticky bomb gun just because I thought it was so cool how it unfolded and snapped together.

Still, even though Batman only uses the EMP gun once in the film, that first reveal shot of him firing it is so badass.
That scene with Batman's return and subsequent appearance out of the shadows was great. I got chills seeing as you could only see the flapping cape when he came out of nowhere. Interesting to note that Batman's last appearance in TDK is him on the batpod, with his cape flapping behind him, while the first time we see him in TDKR, it's filmed from the same angle.

Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html
Old 05-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #728
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Man, the TDKR cowl looks so much better than TDK's. It's amazing what subtle little adjustments can do.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 05-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #729
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I honestly don't know if the cowl is any different. I think Bale just filled it out better.

Or is it confirmed that they made minor adjustments?

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 05-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #730
Travesty
Feelin it in my bones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Man, the TDKR cowl looks so much better than TDK's. It's amazing what subtle little adjustments can do.
I think they just made it fit his face better. In TDK, the cowl would sag, and the nose would hang on his upper lip, making him look like Toucan Sam. It does look a lot better in TDKR.

"Eh ohs, I put on a smiley face mask and stuff. That ways, I can see faces"

-Robin John Blake
Old 05-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #731
JackWhite
Third Man

I've always liked TDK suit, but it really looked great in pretty much every single scene that Bale was in it in TDKR.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #732
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

It's a shame Nolan never had a scene where he plays with shadows to exaggerate Batman's iconography.

That still pic is in and of itself more evocative than anything I've seen in the Nolan films.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #733
JackWhite
Third Man

I can't find a picture of it, but there was a scene in BB, when Batman is in the apartment, and when Crane and his men enter he ducks down and then rises up slowly. I'm pretty sure there was some form of a shadow silhouette.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #734
Kane52630
Deadcruiser

A lot of it really goes to lighting (and the IMAX), TDKR was lit perfectly compared to TDK.

Quote:
I can't find a picture of it, but there was a scene in BB, when Batman is in the apartment, and when Crane and his men enter he ducks down and then rises up slowly. I'm pretty sure there was some form of a shadow silhouette.
One of my all time favorite Batman shots.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #735
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's a good shot but not what I meant. That shot is still Batman, simply backlit. I wanted a shot where Batman's shadow formed a monstrosity of his silhouette on an adjacent wall. There were a few shots like that in the Animated Series.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #736
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
But those draw less attention to it then what we have.

All I'm saying is that there could easily be a TDKR prequel comic/story/whatever that told the story of what Batman was up to, and it wouldn't seem too much like a retcon nor would it clash with the movies tonally (like the Darkseid example would). I'll make up a scenario right now just for the heck of it:

A month or so after the events of TDK, the Dent Act is being written and Mayor Garcia is expected to sign it. The bill would be unprecedented for Gotham, basically giving no rights to anyone convicted of a crime that has a probable link to organized crime (there'd be a huge list of criteria). A leak in the mayor's office leads to Alberto Falcone (who has now come of age and wants to take over his father's empire/fill the power vacuum) and his small upstart crew attempting to make a move to stop it from happening. They hire a highly skilled sniper/bounty hunter (let's call him Deadshot) and put a hit out on all the city councilmen who support the Dent Act in an attempt to shake Garcia into reconsidering. After the second killing happens, Bruce immediately picks up on the potential pattern and relation to the Dent Act, fearing the mayor's life could be in danger. Using the Bat-computer in the new cave, he hacks into the police database and starts unraveling the case. From there- all sorts of detective work ensues- types of bullets, points of entry all that kind of stuff. Prowling rooftops at night searching for clues left behind on some of Deadshot's possible vantage points. Going completely undetected by anyone. No vehicles, no destruction. At this point, his knee hurts when he walks on it, but he's still too stubborn to do anything about it despite Alfred's pleas for him to get it looked at. I'm not gonna fill in every detail, but you get the idea. Batman is able to get to the bottom of everything and save the mayor's life- either through picking up on Deadshot's patterns and using the element of surprise, or getting to Alberto Faclone and using his "Dark Knight" image- threatening to kill him and his crew one by one the way he killed Dent and those corrupt cops if he doesn't call everything off and leave town. Saying it's a new era in Gotham and there's no room in it for the scum, etc. The end of the story would see the mayor signing the Dent Act, and Bruce's resulting conflict of emotions. His sacrifice is now truly vindicated, and yet he's just help make himself obsolete in Gotham. All the men Dent prosecuted will be off the streets for good, and the day he told Rachel seems to have finally arrived.

Again, this has nothing to do with what Nolan said. My argument is that the above story or something like it could exist in an "Star Wars EU" sort of way, where it's not officially canon, yet it doesn't contradict anything that is stated by the movie. And given that we already have some "in canon but not really" items like Gotham Knight and the viral marketing, I don't mind thinking up stories that could exist in that same realm.

Why do I bother to make such a seemingly pointless argument? Uh, because it's fun! As a fan, my imagination can't help but ponder this type of stuff, provided it feels like there's a gap in the story where things can happen without it having any effect on the story being told on screen...which 8 years gives plenty of room for. If it weren't for the "last confirmed sighting" line and the fact that we are led to believe that Bruce has indeed used the new Batcave, I wouldn't be entertaining these thoughts nearly as much though.
Just wanted to say, that I imagined this and I loved it.

*Ends comment, flies away.*

"Batman: Promises"

"Harley Quinn: Ridiculous Thoughts"
"La Broma Mortal"
Old 05-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #737
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
That's a good shot but not what I meant. That shot is still Batman, simply backlit. I wanted a shot where Batman's shadow formed a monstrosity of his silhouette on an adjacent wall. There were a few shots like that in the Animated Series.
Ah, OK. I know what you mean now.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #738
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'll get a screenshot of that for you, give me a few minutes.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #739
ThePhantasm
BADASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
A lot of it really goes to lighting (and the IMAX), TDKR was lit perfectly compared to TDK.
What was wrong about the TDK lighting? The interrogation scene?

Just curious about the comparison.

Wonder Gal | Cav-El | Batfleck | #TrustSnyder
Old 05-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #740
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
I'll get a screenshot of that for you, give me a few minutes.
Haha, I was about to do a screenshot myself, but didn't think it would turn out so good. Perhaps you will have better luck.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #741
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Haha, I was about to do a screenshot myself, but didn't think it would turn out so good. Perhaps you will have better luck.
Not sure how well mine will come out but we'll see.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #742
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:

What's strange about that scene is when Batman sits down, that's when the mask seems like it's drooping off of his face. Then when Batman gets up and starts roughing up the Joker it's fine.

To be honest, that was the only time I didn't like the way the suit/masked looked in the film.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #743
Kane52630
Deadcruiser

Quote:

I wasn't fond of the look of the film (by that I mean any time it wasn't a IMAX shot), some of the lighting during night scenes could've been done better. It just looked muddled to me. The Interrogation scene was fine for me though, I didn't have any problems during that part.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #744
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

You can't be serious. TDK's lighting is masterful. it didn't get nominated by the American Society of Cinematographers for nothing. The Batsuit looked better in Rises because of other factors including subtle tinkering to mold it unto Bale better.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #745
Kane52630
Deadcruiser

I dunno, could be my bluray copy but every time I watch the non IMAX shots it just looks a little messy.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #746
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

I've never been too fond of any of the Batman costumes in live-action so far. I'm not too fond of the rubber and armor materials that each film so far used respectively. I hope the next Batman reboot fixes that and gives us a suit made out of a more fabric-like material. The material they used for Superman's suit in MOS wouldn't look too bad. Or even the Arkham Origins suit, though a bit toned down.

Another problem that I have with all the suits we've had up till now was the lack of the white eyes. This may sound a bit unfair - who knows whether or not one of the past directors tried to do it but dropped the idea because there was no way it could be done - but the white eyes are very crucial to Batman's look. They give him the appearance of a demon and makes him look less human. Think of all the shots from the comics and cartoons (specifically from Batman TAS) where Batman was completely in the shadows with the only thing you could see were those menacing white eyes. I really hope someone finds a way to make them work in live-action. Heck, Nolan already kinda tried doing them in TDK and they looked fantastic IMO. If they can't pull it off though, they should at least try to find a way to achieve the same effect, possibly by using more shadows to cover up the eyes. Notice that the scariest looking shots of Batman we've gotten in live-action so far were all shots where you couldn't see Batman's eyes clearly or where you couldn't see them at all.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #747
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Could be. TDK's Blu-Ray is supposed to be heavily flawed. I remember some guy on the Blu-Ray forums complained that it completely derailed the film's true palette. I long to see a retransfer of TDK (and Begins, for that matter). Come on WB, if you were Paramount we wouldn't be in this position.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #748
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Could be. TDK's Blu-Ray is supposed to be heavily flawed. I remember some guy on the Blu-Ray forums complained that it completely derailed the film's true palette. I long to see a retransfer of TDK (and Begins, for that matter). Come on WB, if you were Paramount we wouldn't be in this position.
TDK's Blu-Ray isn't all that bad. BB's is pretty washed out. TDKR has the only fantastic Blu-Ray, unfortunately. Hopefully we get better ones in the Ultimate Collector's Edition or whatever they decide to call it.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #749
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Even TDKR's DVD transfer is jaw dropping impressive.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Avvy by Kane

Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 05-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #750
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Didn't work out, my player blanks out the screen when I take a screenshot.

Closed Thread