The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #51
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefreak View Post
Nice bit of look back, just to compare with the one that we're getting with MOS:

I actually have this book, it's somewhere in the storage in my old house.
I have that too....but mine has several autographs in it I've collected over the years....

Old 05-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #52
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
The lack of Jimmy support saddens me.
Hey, in a perfect world I'd rather have Jimmy over Jenny, but as it stands as long as Jenny works well for the story they're telling, I can live with it.

But I still prefer Jimmy

Old 05-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #53
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I thought that Iron Man 3 had some of the best action scenes I've seen in a film and in no way looked like a T.V show.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #54
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

C. Lee, you should change your User Title to "The Great Old One"

You're our Cthulhu

Old 05-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #55
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sentinel View Post
Hey, in a perfect world I'd rather have Jimmy over Jenny, but as it stands as long as Jenny works well for the story they're telling, I can live with it.

But I still prefer Jimmy

Old 05-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #56
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I thought that Iron Man 3 had some of the best action scenes I've seen in a film and in no way looked like a T.V show.
Meh, IM3 was alright action-wise. Black kinda ruined those scenes by throwing in unnecessary comedy bits. Took me out of it a bit.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #57
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

I mean, aside from Martha, Lois and (I guess ) Lana, there's not a whole lot of girl power in Superman. Jenny could probably play really well off of Lois. I can see it working well if Jenny looks up to Lois in a way, and Lois is just giving her a hard time so she understands the downside of the business.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #58
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Meh, IM3 was alright action-wise. Black kinda ruined those scenes by throwing in unnecessary comedy bits. Took me out of it a bit.
Black's been doing that for years Senty, I'm actually a huge fan of his work and style so that flip flop between action/tension and comedy was right up my alley fortunately.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 05-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #59
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
This is true for the most. The only ones that don't really qualify are IM2 Cap and Thor, though they even have their moments.
Thor definitely qualifies. Those scenes in New Mexico, blargh...

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 05-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #60
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
I didn't say it didn't have too much comedy because it did but I'd take those action scenes any day of the week over the ones in Green Lantern and a series that I'm not going to bring up by name because a huge part of it's fanbase are zealots.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #61
moviefreak
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
I have that too....but mine has several autographs in it I've collected over the years....
Well yours is indeed more valuable! Mine don't have any autograph...I only collect autograph from sport men/women.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #62
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Thor definitely qualifies. Those scenes in New Mexico, blargh...
You are right. The night stuff is ok, but the broad daylight stuff is not pretty. While the Asgard stuff looks stagey, it has great color timing that saves it.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #63
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
You are right. The night stuff is ok, but the broad daylight stuff is not pretty. While the Asgard stuff looks stagey, it has great color timing that saves it.
It had a lot of teal though. So eh....

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 05-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #64
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of Jimmy being changed to Jenny. My favourite interpretation of Jimmy is as Clark/Superman's one true real friend. I'm not saying that a heterosexual man can't have a meaningful platonic friendship with a heterosexual woman, but Hollywood never seems to allow that to happen. Chloe from Smallville is the perfect example of that. They never let her and Clark truly be platonic friends. She started off having a crush on him and being friend-zoned by his love for Lana and they messed around with the idea of them together a little bit. I just feel like there is a better chance of them not screwing up the Jimmy-Clark relationship if they just left him a heterosexual man. There would be less of temptation for the writers to add in something romantic between Jenny and Clark or something in a sequel for unnecessary romantic drama.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #65
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
It had a lot of teal though. So eh....
I guess I am a teal guy.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #66
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

So how about that Superman movie guys? It sure looks neato. It has the space ships, action, explosions and flying and junk.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #67
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
So how about that Superman movie guys? It sure looks neato. It has the space ships, action, explosions and flying and junk.
nah that looks lame

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 05-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #68
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
nah that looks lame
Superman is kinda boring afterall. He is too powerful and too perfect so you are probably right. Lame.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #69
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Quote:
I didn't say it didn't have too much comedy because it did but I'd take those action scenes any day of the week over the ones in Green Lantern and a series that I'm not going to bring up by name because a huge part of it's fanbase are zealots.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not besmirch the name of Nolan.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #70
TheNextNolan22
You are an F** ****

Quote:
Looks blah. Everything I've seen so far, I'd give the hype level 4/10 at best.

Stop all this positive thinking. Only negativity is allowed in here.
I know we all should respect everybody's opinion and stuff but if you say that Breaking Bad is overrated then you do not deserve any of my respect.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #71
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
I mean, aside from Martha, Lois and (I guess ) Lana, there's not a whole lot of girl power in Superman. Jenny could probably play really well off of Lois. I can see it working well if Jenny looks up to Lois in a way, and Lois is just giving her a hard time so she understands the downside of the business.
That is the thing though, it takes away from Jimmy's relationship to Clark if you make Jenny a more Lois-centric character. Also, if this film is about Clark/Superman finally finding a home/acceptance, then the idea of him finally finding a true friend in Jimmy is especially meaningful. I mean Clark doesn't seem to have fit in as a child. The Junior Novel really underlines that fact and even Pete Ross has been re-imagined as one of his bullies. I know Clark will be finding larger acceptance as Superman, but I really like the idea of him finding acceptance at the Planet. It is a great way to show the theme of modern cities being big, diverse communities where everyone has a place and a group of people who are like them. They might pull that off with Jenny, but as I mentioned in my post above, I have little faith in Hollywood being able to handle platonic male-female relationships successfully.

Moreover, it is probably more empowering for Lois if Jimmy/Jenny looks up to her and is a man. It means that Lois is not just a role model for other women but that she has transcended gender boundaries and is a role model for all aspiring journalists.

Oh well. As long as they do a job with the relationships, I'll be happy. I just think it could have been better the other way around.

Last edited by DKDetective; 05-14-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #72
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
It's going to bomb. 100mil total, tops.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #73
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
I agree.

I mean, he doesn't even have a kid in this one! And what's a Superman movie without a Lex Luthor plot involving land?

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 05-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #74
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

The Clark and Lois relationship is already going to be very different with Lois knowing his identity early on. Perhaps that is where Jenny can come in.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #75
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
That is the thing though, it takes away from Jimmy's relationship to Clark if you make Jenny a more Lois-centric character. Also, if this film is about Clark/Superman finally finding a home/acceptance, then the idea of him finally finding a true friend in Jimmy is especially meaningful. I mean Clark does seem to have fit in as a child. The Junior Novel really underlines that fact and even Pete Ross has been re-imagined as one of his bullies.They might pull that off with Jenny, but as I mentioned in my post above, I have little faith in Hollywood being able to handle platonic male-female relationships successfully.

Moreover, it is probably more empowering for Lois if Jimmy/Jenny looks up to her and is a man. It means that Lois is not just a role model for other women but that she has transcended gender boundaries and is a role model for all aspiring journalists.

Oh well. As long as they do a job with the relationships, I'll be happy. I just think it could have been better the other way around.
I can see all your points. Very well thought-out. I'm fine with it either way but all the same I'm just hoping for a good, quality film.

Closed Thread