The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
WilliamK99
Side-Kick

Default Keeping Production Costs Down

Hi all,
I am curious is there a chance Marvel will leverage their movie division in order to maximize the budget of the television show? By that I mean, using sets created for their motion pictures and / or have some special effects shots created by the team working on a movie...

Just curious if logistically this would be feasible as IMO the biggest challenge for this show to be a success is keeping the costs down while at the same time having good action and special effects.

WilliamK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Default Re: Keeping Production Costs Down

-Minimize the use of energy weapons & attacks, as well as holograms & displays
-Shoot on location.
-Minimize aliens, mutations, and other types of species/characters whose makeup would cause the cost to skyrocket.
-Minimize explosions.
-Use practical & in-camera effects.
-Have a simple title sequence ( a la Bates Motel.)

If they do it right, they can operate within the budget of a show such as Person of Interest, which has plenty of knife, gun, and fist-fights, in addition to car and foot chases.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:17 AM   #3
Silvermoth
Avenger

I'm sure they won't have any trouble finding extras who will work for free!

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Not all costumed adventurers have super powers as such. If they utilise more of these, then they can simply have a battle using a variety of martial arts and weaponry skills. It could be like Deathstroke, the Dark Archer and the Hood on Arrow. Deathstroke wears a full mask (well at least the imposter did).

I just hope it won't be a case of no flights, no tights in this show (like Smallville) or no super powers (like Arrow). Of course, we've already seen some powers, but they could end up minimalising it to keep costs down, which wouldn't be good.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
eddy
Side-Kick

They might try for some spy on spy action for a arc or 2. Think Alias with all the Rambaldi stuff in the background in early Alias.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE.
eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamK99 View Post
Hi all,
I am curious is there a chance Marvel will leverage their movie division in order to maximize the budget of the television show? By that I mean, using sets created for their motion pictures and / or have some special effects shots created by the team working on a movie...

Just curious if logistically this would be feasible as IMO the biggest challenge for this show to be a success is keeping the costs down while at the same time having good action and special effects.
You think Marvel alone is footing the bill for this thing? I would bet it's a Marvel/ABC joint venture (both Disney companies). But I don't know...I'd be surprised if it's not one of the most expensive shows on network television.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
eddy
Side-Kick

The production companies are Marvel Television and ABC(formerly called Touchstone) Studios I think.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE.
eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy View Post
They might try for some spy on spy action for a arc or 2. Think Alias with all the Rambaldi stuff in the background in early Alias.
How about spy vs Spymaster?

I do hope for some costumes for the villains. I always found these villains on Smallville watered down with some name just slapped on what would otherwise just be a generic villain on another sci-fi show.