The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Which is the best superhero trilogy?
The Blade Trilogy 1 0.65%
The X-Men Trilogy 2 1.30%
Raimi's Spider-Man Trilogy 10 6.49%
The Dark Knight Trilogy 123 79.87%
The Iron Man Trilogy 18 11.69%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #26
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Default Re: Best Superhero Trilogy

1) The Dark Knight Trilogy: I didn't like the first one very much, and TDKR had its problems for me, but all in all this franchise created something really new for the genre. And TDK was a masterpiece within the genre for me.

2) The X-Men Trilogy: I think this is the more consistent for me. I loved the first one as it made the mutants apparition completely credible, and I liked the other two movies, but I felt X2 was about a lot of things and not one of them was completely resolved. Still, a great contribution.

3) Raimi's Spider-Man Trilogy: SM2 must be one of the most entertaining superhero movies out there. The action and the villain were superb. But the fuirst one was way too childish for me and the third one was one of the worst I've seen.

4) The Iron Man Trilogy: This had everything to be one of the best. Robert Downey Jr and an interesting love interest, which superhero movies barely have. But they drop the ball with the second one and the third one was the same. not the worst in the world but far below the first one.

5) The Blade Trilogy: Haven't seen any of these yet. Who knows.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #27
Doc Ock
The Desolation of Spidey

For me it's the Iron Man trilogy easily. I enjoyed all three films immensely. Thank you Favreau and Black! I think with time I come to love Iron Man 2 more and more.

The second would probably be Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy, two amazing films and one okay film that if was even slightly better could of easily been the best trilogy in my eyes.

The third would be The Dark Knight trilogy, much like Spider-Man two good films and one okay one that doesn't match up to the first two. A part of me wishes Tim Burton got to do a third Batman film so we could of gotten another Batman trilogy. I could of probably easily voted that as number one!

The fourth is X-Men, I love X-Men and X2 even more, but the atrocity that followed is just awful...poison to the franchise...if it wasn't for the third film being what it was/is I could easily make it number one. At least I enjoy watching SM3 and TDKR...X3 does have some nice parts though but not enough.

I don't want to have Blade in last, but Blade Trinity is kinda forgettable and Blade is good but Blade 2 outshines the other two. Each film is on totally different level of quality.

A Member of Raimi's "Spider-Man Trilogy" Fans | YOU MUST WATCH DOCTOR WHO | Love Smallville | I still believe in heroes Marvel Studios.
Doc Ock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #28
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Mr. Vigilante-10 Years

This was a pretty easy question to answer.

- BEN AFFLECK IS BATMAN-#TrustBatfleck -
SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #29
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
I think with time I come to love Iron Man 2 more and more.
After watching IM3 I came to love IM2 more and more, even watching the film the next day and really loved everything about the film much more. If one didn't like TDKR, I could see them even loving TDK more and more, lol(or BB if we're talking about a "lesser" installment).

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #30
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

1. The Dark Knight Trilogy
TDK=TDKR>BB
2. Iron Man Trilogy
IM3>IM>IM2
3. X-Men Trilogy (only because I found the weakest installment, X3, way worse than IM2, what I see as the weakest IM movie)
X2>X1>X3
4. Spider-man Trilogy
SM2>SM1>SM3

Last edited by Snow Queen; 05-26-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Snow Queen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #31
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Let's see, might as well make a list myself now.

1.) The Dark Knight Trilogy - Easily the best CBM trilogy out there where you have all three films in the top 15 rated CBMs on Rotten Tomatoes going by critical acclaim(and TDKR is #8....the next third installment? About the 30th place with IM3). Also the only trilogy where I loved the second film more than the first film and the third film more than the second, but watching it in marathon form...such a complete tale of the main character and the best story of the main character to boot in a CBM series. Other directors may have tried, but none has succeeded as Christopher Nolan did.

The Dark Knight Rises > The Dark Knight > Batman Begins

2.) Iron Man Trilogy - Was a hard(I mean HARD) toss up with the Iron Man and Spider-Man trilogies, but I had to give Iron Man the edge simply because only one of the films in both trilogies I view to be one of the worst Marvel films...and that's Spider-Man 3. But that doesn't mean I'm a total fan of the Iron Man trilogy, because I'm not. I LOVE Iron Man which happens to fit snuggly in my top five favorite CBMs of all time, but then it just goes downhill from there. Iron Man 2 is what happens when certain elements can bring a film down from such a high praised film as IM is....and then there is Iron Man 3. The more I think about it, the more I view IM3 to be the worst of the three films(as is usually the case with 99% of the CBM trilogies). Just a total letdown of a film, and which is the case most of the time as well, retcons the first film. Shane Black needs to redeem himself in my eyes with his next film too.

Iron Man > Iron Man 2 >>>> Iron Man 3

3.) Spider-Man Trilogy - And here we go with Spider-Man...a trilogy that began with two phenomenal CBMs that could have been the start of something amazing, but then just wasn't in the end. A third film was given where I prefer the novelization so much more than the film itself, although I can't deny that there are few things in the film that is gold in my eyes(the births of Sandman and Venom, and Stan Lee's cameo). Such a downer when Spider-Man 1 and 2 were stellar films and so far, the definitive Spidey films. I will always wonder how Spider-Man 3 would have been if Sam Raimi had it his way with using Vulture. Also, the first on this list where the second film is my favorite of the bunch.

Spider-Man 2 > Spider-Man >>>>>>>>>>> Spider-Man 3

And for #4, I'm gonna give it a tie as there's nothing much of a difference between these trilogies if you ask me...good first films, greater second films, laugh out loud funny third films.

X2: X-Men United > X-Men >>> X-Men: The Last Stand / Blade II > Blade >>> Blade: Trinity.

Last edited by Anno_Domini; 05-26-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #32
Doc Ock
The Desolation of Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
After watching IM3 I came to love IM2 more and more, even watching the film the next day and really loved everything about the film much more. If one didn't like TDKR, I could see them even loving TDK more and more, lol(or BB if we're talking about a "lesser" installment).
Batman Begins is actually my favorite of the trilogy, my opinion seems to always vary regarding TDKT so who knows what I would think a year from now.

A Member of Raimi's "Spider-Man Trilogy" Fans | YOU MUST WATCH DOCTOR WHO | Love Smallville | I still believe in heroes Marvel Studios.
Doc Ock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:25 AM   #33
weezerspider
Side-Kick

I feel like this, the 'best threequel" and the "ASM vs BB" threads have all been made to prove a point that TDK trilogy is king in this genre. All three of the films are in my top 5-10 comic book films of all time and I agree Batman is the best in all three threads, but these threads seems kind of redundant and a bit lame.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #34
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

The only film series that fits what I call a "trilogy" is the X-men series (and barely at that). Let's look at a traditional trilogy, like Lord of the Rings or Star Wars. It is a single continuous story told in three parts. X-men is the only franchise that tried to tell the story of a group of people that continued over three parts, not just the main characters but the villains as well.

The next closest to that would be the Spider-man series that at least told the story of Peter, Mary Jane and Harry, but I really don't consider those films a trilogy.

Sorry the Dark Knight series is not a trilogy in any sense of the word. Nolan might have tried to force it to be one, but it just failed. It's three separate stories, they all exist on their own.

Everything else is what we used to call "serials". IOW they are all independent movies consisting of the same characters.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #35
Thoix
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Sorry the Dark Knight series is not a trilogy in any sense of the word. Nolan might have tried to force it to be one, but it just failed. It's three separate stories, they all exist on their own.
This is false, a trilogy is either one long story and three seperate movies in one series. The Dark Knight Trilogy is the journey about Bruce Wayne and each movie is connected to each other based off that fact. You don't get the full story of Bruce Wayne unless you view the whole trilogy.

Last edited by Thoix; 05-29-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #36
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

Star Wars: ANH can easily be seen as a single film with a beginning, middle AND end.

Squaremaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #37
Max J Power
Trash Boat

1. Iron Man: the first one is the best movie being discussed in this thread, and the second two are good.
2. The Dark Knight: I don't think any of them are great but all three are good.
3. Spider-Man: I like the first two more than the Batman movies but the third one is so bad it knocks Spider-Man down a spot.
4. X-Men: Pretty much the same deal as Spidey: 2>1>>>>>>3. But the first two Spider-Mans are a bit better than the X-Mens.
5. Blade: The first two aren't as good as the other "first two" entries being discussed. They're still pretty good, though, and the third is decent.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #38
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerspider View Post
I feel like this, the 'best threequel" and the "ASM vs BB" threads have all been made to prove a point that TDK trilogy is king in this genre. All three of the films are in my top 5-10 comic book films of all time and I agree Batman is the best in all three threads, but these threads seems kind of redundant and a bit lame.
I kinda agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
Yeah but those people are ****s more or less. :o
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #39
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoix View Post
This is false, a trilogy is either one long story and three seperate movies in one series. The Dark Knight Trilogy is the journey about Bruce Wayne and each movie is connected to each other based off that fact. You don't get the full story of Bruce Wayne unless you view the whole trilogy.
Sorry but no. In fact Bruce Wayne wasn't even the main character in the Dark Knight. The story revolved around Harvey Dent.

A trilogy is like a play in three acts, and it's roots go back to plays in ancient Greece.

As I said, I don't think any comic book movie series is a trilogy, but X-men comes the closest. Comic book movies are serials.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:52 AM   #40
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Sorry, but no. The Dark Knight revolved around both Batman and Harvey Dent actually.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #41
Thoix
Side-Kick

Quote:
Sorry but no. In fact Bruce Wayne wasn't even the main character in the Dark Knight. The story revolved around Harvey Dent.

A trilogy is like a play in three acts, and it's roots go back to plays in ancient Greece.

As I said, I don't think any comic book movie series is a trilogy, but X-men comes the closest. Comic book movies are serials.
The story was about Bruce Wayne. Harvey Dent played a big role The Dark Knight, but everything came back down to Bruce. Again, you do not get the full journey of Bruce Wayne unless you view his complete story as a trilogy.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #42
NewYorkSpider
Heart Of Steel

I would have to say TDK Trilogy with Iron Man in a close second.

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #43
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Sorry, but no. The Dark Knight revolved around both Batman and Harvey Dent actually.
One of my problems with the Dark Knight, even though I think it's among the best in the genre is that Batman is an also ran. I have the same problem with Batman '89 to a lesser extent.

However the story arc revolves around Harvey Dent. "You either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain."

In any case that's a moot point, I don't think any of the Superhero movies count as a trilogy, and if one did it would be X-men, and barely at that.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #44
metaphysician
Side-Kick

The real problem is that you are using a definition of 'trilogy' that no one else uses. Whether it might have once been the operating definition is irrelevant to how its actually used today.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #45
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
The real problem is that you are using a definition of 'trilogy' that no one else uses. Whether it might have once been the operating definition is irrelevant to how its actually used today.
I don't care how many people agree with me. Just because there are three movies doesn't make it a trilogy. Some of these franchises like Iron man and X-men didn't even have the same director for all three films and none of them had an overall story arc written out over three films.

Star Wars and Lord of the Rings are trilogies because there is a complete story told in three parts. I don't consider the Hobbit a trilogy, but it's being forced into one, but at least that is one complete story.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #46
Thoix
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't care how many people agree with me. Just because there are three movies doesn't make it a trilogy. Some of these franchises like Iron man and X-men didn't even have the same director for all three films and none of them had an overall story arc written out over three films.
Nolan and Goyer had already planned out how Bruce's journey would end while writing Batman Begins.

Quote:
Star Wars and Lord of the Rings are trilogies because there is a complete story told in three parts. I don't consider the Hobbit a trilogy, but it's being forced into one, but at least that is one complete story.
The Hobbit will end up being a trilogy just as the way you explained why Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings are. It will be a complete story told in three parts, which is just what The Dark Knight Trilogy did. It was the story about Bruce Wayne and his journey to save Gotham from corruption. The story began in Batman Begins, continued in The Dark Knight, and concluded in The Dark Knight Rises. So by you own definition, it counts as a trilogy, yet you still don't. Again, you don't get the complete story of Bruce Wayne's journey without seeing the whole trilogy.

And while Harvey Dent did play a big role in The Dark Knight, the story is still about Bruce Wane, and everything Harvey did effected Bruce in some way. Everything that happens in The Dark Knight comes back down to Bruce, and continues to effect him in The Dark Knight Rises.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #47
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
However the story arc revolves around Harvey Dent. "You either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain."
That happened to Batman, too, when he took the blame for Dent's crimes. The Dark Knight was still a Batman centric movie.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #48
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Quote:
One of my problems with the Dark Knight, even though I think it's among the best in the genre is that Batman is an also ran. I have the same problem with Batman '89 to a lesser extent.

In any case that's a moot point, I don't think any of the Superhero movies count as a trilogy, and if one did it would be X-men, and barely at that.
If you don't understand that that saying refers to Batman as well, you didn't get the whole point of Harvey Dent's character in the film. The whole film is focused on Batman and Dent's character is simply there to parallel to Batman. Dent and Batman both are heroes for Gotham, helping in different ways. Dent does it 'by the book'. Batman does it by more extreme methods. They both love the same woman. They both meet this unstoppable force in The Joker. The Joker kills the woman they love. This is where the character's branch off. Dent's methods and Dent's heroics can not handle the brutality of The Joker and the death of the woman he loves. Batman, devastated, manages to fight on to stop The Joker because he's stronger than Dent he's the true hero. Dent's story arc re-afirms Batman's heroism. Batman disproves Dent's saying. Batman is strong enough to stand upon his morals and stand is heroic ground despite tragedy, despite the worst being brought upon. He never ceases to being the hero and becoming the villain. Yet, ironically, he does become the villain in the city's eyes at the end. Every character revolves around Batman in TDK. Batman is the main focus. Dent's there to re-affirm Batman's heroism and to show why Batman, in the context of the film, is better than 'going by the book'. He's transcended that to become something greater than a hero like a cop or a politician, which is exactly what he aimed to do in 'Batman Begins'. TDK is the perfect young Batman story. Its the first time his actions have real consequences and its the first time he has to admit being Batman is going to suck, but its worth it.

Regarding TDK trilogy being three separate stories, have you watched all three of them together in a short amount of time? They flow as one story. The most obvious reasons being The Joker card in BB leads to The Joker in TDK. Batman being on the run and retiring in TDKR due to Harvey's death at the end of TDK. The LoS returning in TDKR after the events of BB. It goes deeper than that though.

In Batman Begins, Falcone tells Bruce that he's wrong in thinking he has nothing to lose. Bruce seemingly isn't afraid to die. Bruce goes off on a quest to find himself, still seemingly without that fear of death. Bruce aims to be something greater than a man, a symbol. This idea is still intact in Bruce's mind in The Dark Knight when he meets Harvey Dent. However, Dent inspires him. Dent seems to be doing what Bruce has tried to do, but he's doing it without a mask. Dent also inspires him when he states that he doesn't believe Batman wants to do this forever and he's looking for someone to take his place. At that moment, Bruce realizes Dent could take his mantle and he could live happily with Rachel. From Begins and The Dark Knight, we've seen Rachel, the woman he loves, is the only person who could possibly do the impossible, bring Bruce away from Batman. So, Bruce decides its time for the Dent era of Gotham and the end of Batman. However, Joker has other plans which eventually leads to Rachel's death. At the same time, Dent is scarred physically and emotionally, going off the deep end. In a matter of seconds, Joker ruins the two things possible for Bruce to have a normal life.

Batman defeats the Joker and falsely puts the blame of Dent's actions on himself, falsely keeping the hope of Dent in Gotham. This works for 8 prosperous years for Gotham, but 8 terrible years for Bruce. Bruce didn't want to give up Batman. He needed Batman. Rachel was the only thing he wanted aside from Batman. Yet Bane comes and Batman gets back into action to help his city, and because he finally has a reason to dawn the cape. Amongst all of this, Batman meets a Catwoman, a woman with similarities to him even Rachel didn't share. He also meets John Blake, a young man who has the passion and drive for justice that he himself has. And suddenly, in the form of Catwoman and John Blake, Bruce has what Joker took away from him, a woman to have a normal life with and someone to take the Batman mantle so he can leave and have that normal life. These ideas don't fully develop until he's in Bane's prison, where for the first time since he was a child, he begins to fear death. He begins to realize he has something to lose. So Batman returns to Gotham and defeats Bane and apparently dies. In reality, Bruce gives up Batman and leaves with Selina, something he had wanted to do with Rachel since TDK. John Blake takes over as Gotham's protector, something Bruce thought Dent could do in TDK. And finally, Batman becomes a symbol and a legend, which is what he set out to do in Batman Begins. The trilogy has a specific beginning, middle and end. Its essentially one long story about Bruce Wayne.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #49
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:

So you're just going to forget about the fact that the film is based on Batman becoming The Dark Knight, which is even mentioned by Gordon in the end, huh?

Old 05-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #50
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

I love on this board how when you state an opinion, you get a million people telling you you're wrong. I loved the Dark Knight, but it wasn't a good batman movie, it was a good Joker/Two Face movie. Those characters outshined Batman/Wayne. The best performance of the Bruce Wayne story was in Batman begins.

As I said that was a moot point anyway, they are three different stories that are serial in nature, anyone of them could exist without the other. You cannot have Return of the Jedi if you don't have Empire Strikes Back.