2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #26
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

I thought it was spectacular. Easily my favorite film of the year so far.

I had heard about the Khan spoiler before I saw the movie (thanks, internet ), but it didn't ruin the reveal for me at all, as by then Cumberbatch had already made the role his own and proved an even more terrifying villian now that we were also getting to see him on the loose, in addition to his attacks on the Enterprise crew.

Now, I've been a Star Trek fan for a long time. Wrath of Khan was actually the first Star Trek film I'd seen in the theater, although I was only about 8 at the time, and as I recall, was sitting on my mom's lap for the last half hour of the movie. But I'll never forget what a shocker Spock's death had been. There was a lot of sniffling in that theater during those final scenes.

I loved JJ's take on Star Trek the first time around, as I felt he truly honored the camaraderie and spirit of adventure of the original Enterprise crew, but it was still a pretty nervy step to take on that death scene...and I think he nailed it. To have the roles reversed, to see Spock's reaction to the death of his friend was pretty amazing. It didn't matter that, unlike the original scene, it wasn't the end of a lifelong friendship, but a premature end to what should have been a lifelong friendship. (and it didn't matter that we knew Kirk wasn't going to stay dead - we knew Spock wasn't going to stay dead the first time around either)

Not to mention seeing Spock go on a full-out rampage in the last act, which was pretty damn wild. I don't think I breathed for the last 20 minutes.

The action sequences were amazing, and the crew was just in top form. I'm glad I hadn't read any reviews or watched any of the clips beforehand, because I got to see it all fresh, and it was pretty damn great.

Can't wait to see it again.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #27
nogap87
Side-Kick

If you enjoyed the '09 movie, I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't enjoy this sequel. Great story, great action, and not a weak link in the cast.

nogap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #28
Kevin Smith
Banned User

STID was fantastic. I actually liked it better than the first one, and I liked the first one a lot. All around great film. Can't wait to see it again. Movie to beat this year. Everything is pretty much perfect in it, it hits all the right notes.

Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #29
Kevin Smith
Banned User

I went in knowing Khan was the bad guy but I was still very surprised by much of what I saw....it was not predictable to me.

Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #30
DarKush
Side-Kick

I saw the film today. I was disappointed. I'm of two minds with it. I think the casual moviegoer will enjoy the film especially if they liked Trek 2009. As a diehard Trek fan I didn't enjoy the film as much.

Granted many other diehard fans will have a different reaction. I felt it was unnecessary and creatively lazy to mash up Space Seed and Wrath of Khan, with maybe a dash of the Augments arc (from Enterprise) and Section 31 (DS9 and Enterprise). The homages to TWOK got cringe worthy especially for the Kirk sacrifice scene and its immediate aftermath.

NuKhan was too glacial for my tastes. Cumberbatch did exude menace but very little charisma like Prime Khan. And there were a lot of little things that annoyed the Trek fan in me enough that I didn't find STID as good as Trek 2009. In fact, I found Oblivion more enjoyable and heartfelt than STID.

I wonder if it might be time for JJ and crew to hang it up. At least they have pretty much redone TWOK, and maybe, just maybe that will unshackle future Trek films from trying to recreate it or emulate it.

DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #31
DorneyDave
Side-Kick

I just got back, will post a longer review later.

But this is one of the best films I've seen in years. I absolutely loved it. LOVED IT.

10/10

Great script, awesome cast once again, KHAN was AWESOME, breathtaking action. I loved the parallels to TWOK and the tweaks to it.

Just great.

Last edited by DorneyDave; 05-16-2013 at 10:21 PM.
DorneyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #32
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Overall, it was entertaining but I was slightly underwhelmed. I am going again on Saturday.

I thought Pine was really good. I loved seeing Kirk so vulnerable, crying over Pike's death and then later being scared when he was dying. The Wrath of Khan radiation scene worked for me.

Cumberbatch was good but not given enough to do. I was expecting him to be more of a main villain instead of half the movie being more Admiral Marcus' machinations. I thought the time spent on Marcus undercut Khan.

Two wrongs just make something more wrong.

Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #33
Lighthouse
Fairness, Equality, Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
It was okay. It was a poor mans wrath of khan and it didn't really work so well. The premise of the story had me hooked, but as it unraveled it just became a mediocre rehash that was nothing short of lackluster and underwhelming.
This. When the death scene came up, I groaned, because I immediately knew Chekov's gu..er..Khan's blood was going to come into use. An unearned moment that ended up having no real impact anyway.

...Or when your hands are cold, you rub them together, you see, that's good, that feels good! There's so many good things! But you're not here - I'm here. I wish you were here. I wish you could talk to me. 'Cause I'm a friend. - Peter Falk (Wings of Desire)
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #34
SpitCurl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorneyDave View Post
I just got back, will post a longer review later.

But this is one of the best films I've seen in years. I absolutely loved it. LOVED IT.

10/10

Great script, awesome cast once again, KHAN was AWESOME, breathtaking action. I loved the parallels to TWOK and the tweaks to it.

Just great.
I just...I just don't know how anyone could walk away from this movie thinking it had a great script? I wanted to enjoy it, but...

As someone who knows nothing of Trek but the '09 film and WOK and a handful of TNG episodes briefly glimpsed as a kid (I'm the prime audience for this film) I thought it was completely absurd. I generally LOVE summer-time popcorn flicks, but this was just... ugh.

How can people ignore how low the stakes were in this film? I mean, given the ridiculous resolution of the "Kirk sacrifice" (and how quickly it was resolved - way to completely undermine it, Team Abrams), can anyone possibly care what happens to any character going forward when we know death itself can be undone with a bit of magic, hand-wavy hemoglobin?

Plus, just how bone-headed was that whole resolution given the 72 other options available to the crew? Was it just to give Spock a "hero" moment?

And hey, what about the incongruity of Kirk looking mostly like Kirk from TOS and Spock looking mostly like Spock and Uhura looking mostly like Uhura, etc, while He Who Shall Not Be Named suddenly becomes the pastiest of pasty white guys? Wouldn't the new timeline have been created after He Who Shall Not Be Named was born? If so, shouldn't he still vaguely resemble the last actor to portray him, much as Karl Urban vaguely recalls McCoy? How is it that in the same universe (but different time-line) he suddenly become a beady-eyed British dude with weird cheek bones?

I suppose if you invoke the "turn off your brain and have fun with it" excuse, you can look past all that (and many other examples I left out), but... the thing is... I DID turn off my brain I enjoyed '09 Trek mainly because I wasn't expecting King Lear and I went with the iffier choices. And I went into this one w/the same lowered expectations of "ooh, pretty!" but it STILL managed to be f**ktarded. How does that happen?! How much more can I turn off my brain before I'm either comatose or, like, an infant?

Last edited by SpitCurl; 05-16-2013 at 11:14 PM.
SpitCurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #35
Lighthouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitCurl View Post
I just...I just don't know how anyone could walk away from this movie thinking it had a great script? I wanted to enjoy it, but...

As someone who knows nothing of Trek but the '09 film and WOK and a handful of TNG episodes briefly glimpsed as a kid (I'm the prime audience for this film) I thought it was completely absurd. I generally LOVE summer-time popcorn flicks, but this was just... ugh.

How can people ignore how low the stakes were in this film? I mean, given the ridiculous resolution of the "Kirk sacrifice" (and how quickly it was resolved - way to completely undermine it, Team Abrams), can anyone possibly care what happens to any character going forward when we know death itself can be undone with a bit of magic, hand-wavy hemoglobin?

Plus, just how bone-headed was that whole resolution given the 72 other options available to the crew? Was it just to give Spock a "hero" moment?

And hey, what about the incongruity of Kirk looking mostly like Kirk from TOS and Spock looking mostly like Spock and Uhura looking mostly like Uhura, etc, while He Who Shall Not Be Named suddenly becoemes the pastiest of pasty white guys? Wouldn't the new timeline have been created after He Who Shall Not Be Named was born? If so, shouldn't he still vaguely resemble the last actor to portray him, much as Karl Urban vaguely recalls McCoy? How is it that in the same universe (but different time-line) he suddenly become a beady-eyed British dude with weird cheek bones?

I suppose if you invoke the "turn off your brain and have fun with it" excuse, you can look past all that (and many other examples I left out), but... the thing is... I DID turn off my brain I enjoyed '09 Trek mainly because I wasn't expecting King Lear and I went with the iffier choices. And I went into this one w/the same lowered expectations of "ooh, pretty!" but it STILL managed to be f**ktarded. How does that happen?! How much more can I turn off my brain before I'm either comatose or, like, an infant?

...Or when your hands are cold, you rub them together, you see, that's good, that feels good! There's so many good things! But you're not here - I'm here. I wish you were here. I wish you could talk to me. 'Cause I'm a friend. - Peter Falk (Wings of Desire)
Old 05-16-2013, 11:30 PM   #36
Doomed_hero
Side-Kick

Quote:

And hey, what about the incongruity of Kirk looking mostly like Kirk from TOS and Spock looking mostly like Spock and Uhura looking mostly like Uhura, etc, while He Who Shall Not Be Named suddenly becomes the pastiest of pasty white guys? Wouldn't the new timeline have been created after He Who Shall Not Be Named was born? If so, shouldn't he still vaguely resemble the last actor to portray him, much as Karl Urban vaguely recalls McCoy? How is it that in the same universe (but different time-line) he suddenly become a beady-eyed British dude with weird cheek bones?

Alot of this is just nitpicking to be honest. the character arcs where well written and it had some great action scenes and acting. I did feel there was high stakes of war and a super human loose who was better and stronger then everyone. I dont belive it was a perfect script but some of your logic just seem like nitpicking and reaching.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #37
Lighthouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomed_hero View Post
Alot of this is just nitpicking to be honest. the character arcs where well written and it had some great action scenes and acting. I did feel there was high stakes of war and a super human loose who was better and stronger then everyone. I dont belive it was a perfect script but some of your logic just seem like nitpicking and reaching.
The character arcs are totally undercooked, and Kirk's death being reversed by a magic plot device removes any kind of emotional impact.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #38
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Wow this movie was to good to be true. Phenomenally cast, Great action, solid story, super soundtrack and as an added bonus nice homage to both the classic Star Trek and WOK.

The Caped Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #39
Doomed_hero
Side-Kick

not really cause tyhe death was about the character arcs and not there for a emotional impact. in that moment Kirk and Spock where both forced to face death and in many ways see things from eachothers point of view like never before. I expected the death to be reversed, it was about the moment more. They kinda let you know spock was coming back at the end of Kahn, yet the emotional impact is still there in that film, however this was a mirror, that death scene was the end of a long friendship where Spock can really tell Kirk how he felt, This was a moment early in there friendship, where Spock relizes he and Kirk are friends.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:58 PM   #40
SpitCurl
Side-Kick

Quote:
No disrepect, but.. no. Critiquing the engine room for looking like a brewery is a nit-pick, - ie, something that has no bearing on the plot or reflects on the quality of the writing, but irks you, anyway.

Not being able to reverse the "Kirk Sacrifice" until Spock ran down and captured He Who Shall Not Be Named is not an incidental nit-pick, it's entirely integral to the plot and needs to be addressed given the literally DOZENS of other enhanced humans at the crew's disposal who could've served the same purpose.

He Who Shall Not Be Named not even remotely resembling the character as Spock Prime would've known him is also a plot point, as why wouldn't Spock just assume on apperance alone that this dude was not who he claimed to be? "UH... yeah... I went heads-up w/this mang twice and uh.. that's not him."

The "Kirk sacrfice" being undone (and telegraphed) so quickly afterward made it totally pointless (if you didn't already know it was coming) and also sets up a HUGE narrative problem in any Trek film going forward (assuming no have-wave/invocation of the "turn off your brain" clause) in that there are NO stakes for this crew, not when they have gallons upon GALLONS of magic hand-wavy hemoglobin at the ready should the need arise.

But honestly, we're going to go in complete circles here if you believe these things consitute nitpicks. I sort of wonder what other films you consider great (not as an insult, but just so I know what level the playing field is. I mean, if you think the old "Ernest" films are awesome unironically, then I can't really debate this with you).

Quote:
not really cause tyhe death was about the character arcs and not there for a emotional impact. in that moment Kirk and Spock where both forced to face death and in many ways see things from eachothers point of view like never before. I expected the death to be reversed, it was about the moment more. They kinda let you know spock was coming back at the end of Kahn, yet the emotional impact is still there in that film, however this was a mirror, that death scene was the end of a long friendship where Spock can really tell Kirk how he felt, This was a moment early in there friendship, where Spock relizes he and Kirk are friends.
But they're not really forced to face death. Facing death means, you know, facing it. At some point, YOU will have to face death - either your own, or that of a loved one, and you will have to accept the finalilty of it, the same as every human being who has ever lived has had to do, or be undone by it. But see, that's the thing about death.. it's death. If it's not final - at least as far as the characters know - then it's no more dramatic than Spock running off to find a band-aid for Kirk because he has an ouchy. It was shown early in the film that there was *magic hemoglobin*. And Spock only let He Who Shall Not Be Named live because he knew they needed him, because *magic hemoglobin*, so no, there is no lesson, there is no facing death, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't clear at the end of WOK that Spock would be back, at least not to the other characters. For them, at that moment, death was a real thing. Now? It's a really mild flu.

Last edited by SpitCurl; 05-17-2013 at 12:10 AM.
SpitCurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #41
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

SpitCurl, I suggest you keep your critiques of the film limited to the film itself, and not to wondering or assuming what those who disagree with you find entertaining.

Thank you.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #42
Frodo
Side-Kick

I think the emotional impact of the death scene, like pretty much most of STID, may depend on if you're coming to the whole Khan/ Star Trek thing for the first time. Alot of times, the diehard fans of these type of fantasy, Sci fi, Superhero genre etc properties ,take for granted or forget that, just because we've seen iconic things like TWOK a million times , that the GA have also seen it a million times.

The reality of the situation is that, TWOK is a 30 year old film , and you have a couple of generations in the GA who are coming to this materal fresh and are being introduced to Khan for the first time.

So while scenes like Kirk's "Death" may seem like rehash for diehard trek fans , to most people its something new, and has an emotionally impact because they're coming to the star trek universe without having seen all the iconic stuff from the old series.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:09 AM   #43
Lighthouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
I think the emotional impact of the death scene, like pretty much most of STID, may depend on if you're coming to the whole Khan/ Star Trek thing for the first time. Alot of times, the diehard fans of these type of fantasy, Sci fi, Superhero genre etc properties ,take for granted or forget that, just because we've seen iconic things like TWOK a million times , that the GA have also seen it a million times.

The reality of the situation is that, TWOK is a 30 year old film , and you have a couple of generations in the GA who are coming to this materal fresh and are being introduced to Khan for the first time.

So while scenes like Kirk's "Death" may seem like rehash for diehard trek fans , to most people its something new, and has an emotionally impact because they're coming to the star trek universe without having seen all the iconic stuff from the old series.
Except that the death scene is completely undermined 10 minutes later.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:09 AM   #44
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Wow this was even better than the first. Way more fanservice in this one an the twists were great. Only criticism is that the ending felt very rushed, but aside from that a great film. Can't wait for the third which should be the Klingon war.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:09 AM   #45
Doomed_hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
No disrepect, but.. no. Critiquing the engine room for looking like a brewery is a nit-pick, - ie, something that has no bearing on the plot or reflects on the quality of the writing, but irks you, anyway.

Not being able to reverse the "Kirk Sacrifice" until Spock ran down and captured He Who Shall Not Be Named is not an incidental nit-pick, it's entirely integral to the plot and needs to be addressed given the literally DOZENS of other enhanced humans at the crew's disposal who could've served the same purpose.

He Who Shall Not Be Named not even remotely resembling the character as Spock Prime would've known him is also a plot point, as why wouldn't Spock just assume on apperance alone that this dude was not who he claimed to be? "UH... yeah... I went heads-up w/this mang twice and uh.. that's not him."

The "Kirk sacrfice" being undone (and telegraphed) so quickly afterward made it totally pointless (if you didn't already know it was coming) and also sets up a HUGE narrative problem in any Trek film going forward (assuming no have-wave/invocation of the "turn off your brain" clause) in that there are NO stakes for this crew, not when they have gallons upon GALLONS of magic hand-wavy hemoglobin at the ready should the need arise.

But honestly, we're going to go in complete circles here if you believe these things consitute nitpicks. I sort of wonder what other films you consider great (not as an insult, but just so I know what level the playing field is. I mean, if you think the old "Ernest" films are awesome unironically, then I can't really debate this with you).
Well still feel your non insults are kinda back handed insults. But I am not going to get to worked up on this cause its just a movie. The Kirk death scene was important for reasons I stated earlier. second, Spock didnt show a picture of Kahn to Old spock so there is really no basis for what you are saying there. I get him looking different then the orginal but feel the actor did a good job and know this is a reboot. So i kinda find that to be a nitpick as its more of a outside view point and had nothing to do with the film i am watching.

I agree on why didnt they get blood from the rest of the 72, but find it can be explained away in some ways, not saying smart ways but also said it wasnt a perfect script.

But you have your view point and i have mine and it could go in circles so we will just have to agree to disagree.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #46
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

We all knew that the first version of the death scene was permanent either.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:12 AM   #47
Doomed_hero
Side-Kick

Quote:

I also think it was knida used as a mirror to the orginal like i said before, one at the end of a long friendship and one being the beginning of a long friendship.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #48
Lighthouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
We all knew that the first version of the death scene was permanent either.
Yeah, but it's done in a much more organic way and natural way. Kirk coming back is a magic plot device, saving Spock is a whole movie on it's own.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:19 AM   #49
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quote:

I don't think it's the same at all. The real Spock and Kirk were friends for like twenty years. When Spock died, he stayed dead for an entire movie. Imagine Wrath of Khan if Spock just sat up in his space coffin at the end and said, "Don't worry guys I'm all better now, lol." It would have completely robbed the movie of any sense of gravity, loss, and emotional depth.

The new Star Trek movies aren't really going for that anyway, which is fine, but to say that the new movies are just as impactful to the current target audience as the older movies were to people who had been fans of the series for decades is just not true.

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:19 AM   #50
jmc
callin' it like I see it

I will say this, the one thing the almost ruined the movie for me was Kirk being brought back to life. I understand doing a parallel version of Wrath of Khan, but they should have gone the whole way. It wouldn't have bothered me had they gone all Search for Spock in film 3 with Kirk, but to me all this did was play with my emotions. Funny thing is it dawned on me about 30min from the end they were going to go all Wrath of Khan, but I assumed it would be Spock again, and was shocked when it turned out to be Kirk. I should have known better, but for a moment I genuinely believed they actually killed Kirk and I was really upset about it, I thought 'Man, they actually did it'...... then they ruined it.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote