The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Trek > Star Trek Into Darkness

View Poll Results: Rate the Movie
10 23 23.47%
9 37 37.76%
8 24 24.49%
7 6 6.12%
6 5 5.10%
5 1 1.02%
4 1 1.02%
3 1 1.02%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 12:22 AM   #51
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hooked on a feeling.
Posts: 22,910
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomed_hero View Post
I also think it was knida used as a mirror to the orginal like i said before, one at the end of a long friendship and one being the beginning of a long friendship.
And it was about having to actually face death. Spock couldn't understand why Uhura was so angry with him because he only allowed himself to think about the logic of making that sacrifice and not what it meant to the others. Logic kept him from comprehending Kirk's anger and recklessness for needing to avenge Pike's death.

Kirk sacrificing himself made him realize the emotional weight of that kind of sacrifice and the anger that comes because it had to happen.

It didn't matter that it didn't have the decades of friendship behind it like the first death did. They were told that they were lifelong friends, but at this point, they were still trying to figure out how that friendship worked. But the emotion of what happened is what really bonded them and made them understand each other better than they ever have before.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:22 AM   #52
Doomed_hero
Side-Kick
 
Doomed_hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Camelot
Posts: 8,885
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

I just think people are ignoring how the characters evloved in the face of kirks sacrfice. It is something that does not go away simply cause Kirk came back. Spock still felt the same emotions and learned the same lessons from kirk's death even if he did come back

__________________
Luke: Never. I'll never turn to the Dark Side. You've failed, your highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me.
The Emperor: So be it... Jedi.
Doomed_hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:29 AM   #53
SpitCurl
Side-Kick
 
SpitCurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 379
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
SpitCurl, I suggest you keep your critiques of the film limited to the film itself, and not to wondering or assuming what those who disagree with you find entertaining.

Thank you.
How is that not a valid inquery? If you're in a discussion about music, wouldn't it be helpful to know if the person your'e discussing it with has any historical knowledge of music (generally going hand in hand with developing taste), or if perhaps they're just really young and through no fault of their own haven't had exposure to more than Top 40 radio?

I just most of these circular arguments clogging up threads are mostly due to people arguing with people that are in no way on their level, either experience or agewise, and why that's such a taboo thing to bring up I can not fathom.

Ps, that's all rhetorical. I know any answer will just be a firm but polite regurgitation of your initial "suggestion", so I'll play nice

__________________
The Hype: where an even-keeled temperament is its very own superpower.
SpitCurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:34 AM   #54
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hooked on a feeling.
Posts: 22,910
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitCurl View Post
How is that not a valid inquery? If you're in a discussion about music, wouldn't it be helpful to know if the person your'e discussing it with has any historical knowledge of music (generally going hand in hand with developing taste), or if perhaps they're just really young and through no fault of their own haven't had exposure to more than Top 40 radio?

I just most of these circular arguments clogging up threads are mostly due to people arguing with people that are in no way on their level, either experience or agewise, and why that's such a taboo thing to bring up I can not fathom.

Ps, that's all rhetorical. I know any answer will just be a firm but polite regurgitation of your initial "suggestion", so I'll play nice
Because suggesting someone else *must* enjoy a lower form of entertainment simply because they liked something you didn't is obnoxious and stupid. Your opinion does not put you on a higher plane of existence anymore than it puts someone else on a lower one.

People will disagree with you on occasion. Keep the snide remarks about your differences to yourself. It's not that difficult.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:00 AM   #55
Harley2004
Side-Kick
 
Harley2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 662
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

I thought it was as good as the first one, which to say it about a 7 or 8 out of 10. Very solid performances all the way around, particularly Zachary Quinto. Nothing groundbreaking about it.

JJ Abrams, style of directing is interesting. Everybody brings up the lens flares and it's pretty legitimate because they were they are very clearly and at times pretty distracting. Also I think the 2009 movie was shot on film and this I know was shot in red epic. Which made it visually look different and not as good, IMO.

This movie was loads funner than Ironman three but I get the sense that of the big blockbuster movies of the summer and even the year, Theres going to be some solid ones like this and then there is going to be Man of steel,which would be set apart. Maybe.

Harley2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:09 AM   #56
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Schlosser85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 18,913
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Quote:
I just most of these circular arguments clogging up threads are mostly due to people arguing with people that are in no way on their level, either experience or agewise, and why that's such a taboo thing to bring up I can not fathom.
Are you referring to yourself? Because you're acting like a child.

State your own opinion of the film and don't pick apart someone else's or act like they're stupid for disagreeing with you.

__________________
Quote:
In the rain the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
...


Two wrongs just make something more wrong.


Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:18 AM   #57
Frodo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,371
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
I don't think it's the same at all. The real Spock and Kirk were friends for like twenty years. When Spock died, he stayed dead for an entire movie. Imagine Wrath of Khan if Spock just sat up in his space coffin at the end and said, "Don't worry guys I'm all better now, lol." It would have completely robbed the movie of any sense of gravity, loss, and emotional depth.

The new Star Trek movies aren't really going for that anyway, which is fine, but to say that the new movies are just as impactful to the current target audience as the older movies were to people who had been fans of the series for decades is just not true.
I get what you're saying but I disagree in the sense that the audiences of today who don't have the perspective of the original series may find Kirk's sacrifice emotional , even if its not in the same way STWOK was emotional. That's what I mean when I say that it reaction to the Khan storyline may depend on where one comes to this film.

If you're someone who's seen this stuff or a variation of this stuff before , you may not find it as emotionally moving or you'll fee the other version did it better . However, you have a whole new generation of people , including those who aren't big trek fans anyway, who haven't seen this story done in a different way before . They may react to the film in a much more emotional way than those die hard fans who know this stuff by heart by now. Tha's at least seems to be the initial reaction i've seen so far among the non trek fans.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:46 AM   #58
Pickle-El
Side-Kick
 
Pickle-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,657
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Better than the first to me. More suspenseful. I'd give ST1 a solid 8/10. And this was a 9/10 for me. John Harrison was an engaging character. He really commanded attention. And, was matched by Kirk and Spock. Strong Tri-fecta there. Lets not even go into the action..gotta be seen in IMAX! Brilliant scenes.

Almost washes the bad taste from IM3 out of my mouth...almost. A great summer film.

Pickle-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:56 AM   #59
LostSon88
Side-Kick
 
LostSon88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BAY AREA!!!!
Posts: 8,316
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Fantastic. ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC. I never give movies a 10/10 but this comes pretty damn close.

That is my review.

__________________
My life is like school on a Sunday...no class.
LostSon88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:27 AM   #60
def28
Side-Kick
 
def28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,406
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

I dug it. Overall I thought this was a pretty flat script at times and the first was much tighter. But it was a damn good time at the theatre and that's all I ask for. The Klingon battle was pretty friggin rad.

Alice Eve needs to be in every movie. Perfect Woman.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:50 AM   #61
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!
 
hopefuldreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 11,265
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomed_hero View Post
not really cause the death was about the character arcs and not there for a emotional impact. in that moment Kirk and Spock where both forced to face death and in many ways see things from eachothers point of view like never before. I expected the death to be reversed, it was about the moment more. They kinda let you know spock was coming back at the end of Kahn, yet the emotional impact is still there in that film, however this was a mirror, that death scene was the end of a long friendship where Spock can really tell Kirk how he felt, This was a moment early in there friendship, where Spock relizes he and Kirk are friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
And it was about having to actually face death. Spock couldn't understand why Uhura was so angry with him because he only allowed himself to think about the logic of making that sacrifice and not what it meant to the others. Logic kept him from comprehending Kirk's anger and recklessness for needing to avenge Pike's death.

Kirk sacrificing himself made him realize the emotional weight of that kind of sacrifice and the anger that comes because it had to happen.

It didn't matter that it didn't have the decades of friendship behind it like the first death did. They were told that they were lifelong friends, but at this point, they were still trying to figure out how that friendship worked. But the emotion of what happened is what really bonded them and made them understand each other better than they ever have before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomed_hero View Post
I just think people are ignoring how the characters evloved in the face of kirks sacrfice. It is something that does not go away simply cause Kirk came back. Spock still felt the same emotions and learned the same lessons from kirk's death even if he did come back
So agreed with all of this.

I don't see why Kirk being revived takes anything away from the impact of his sacrifice.

He didn't KNOW Khan's blood could save him before he did it. None of them did. He made that choice, to sacrifice himself for his crew. And that moment has such a strong emotional impact because mortality and loss were being so heavily considered throughout the film.

I don't think anyone in a cinema audience would expect anything BUT a revival afterwards. He's the main character... of course something would happen to bring him back. That's how summer blockbusters work. They are not designed to be something 'shocking' where they actually kill off the main character... and I wouldn't want them to be. I am a self confessed fan of happy endings, and kind of hate ambiguous ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitCurl View Post
Most of these circular arguments clogging up threads are mostly due to people arguing with people that are in no way on their level, either experience or agewise, and why that's such a taboo thing to bring up I can not fathom.
If you don't like argueing with people who 'aren't on your level' feel free to leave.

I agree, it'd certainly clear up some of the clogging going on in this thread

__________________
I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."


*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #62
VM1138
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 148
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

The only thing I miss about Kirk from the originals is his "I always thought I'd die alone" thing. I thought that was really powerful, and I'm not sure they can bring that back now that he's technically been dead and he wasn't alone.

I thought his sacrifice was powerful, too. My one suggestion for the next film is that they tone back the action somewhat. This movie was one action setpiece after another, and I felt the characters didn't have enough time to breathe.

We can have some character development without them being under duress. Now, I thought it worked in this movie, I loved it, I just hope we get some more quiet character moments in the next one. I mean, friends talk about things, you know? I'd like to see McCoy, Kirk and Spock together trying to have fun, like in Final Frontier. Things like that.

VM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #63
DorneyDave
Side-Kick
 
DorneyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,345
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitCurl View Post
I just...I just don't know how anyone could walk away from this movie thinking it had a great script? I wanted to enjoy it, but...

Sorry, I couldn't keep up with your arguments because clearly I'm on such a lower level than you. This was me the whole time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtObrnaovrI


But actually...I'll just say to all of your points you made...I don't care. It was nitpicking. I don't nitpick movies asking "why couldn't they do this" or "why not this".....sorry. Maybe I'm just dumb.

I loved the script because it funny, quick and had great character moments. The villain was great and the stakes felt very high to me. All the emotional beats hit for me. That's why I thought the script was great.


Last edited by DorneyDave; 05-17-2013 at 10:24 AM.
DorneyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #64
DorneyDave
Side-Kick
 
DorneyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,345
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitCurl View Post
How is that not a valid inquery? If you're in a discussion about music, wouldn't it be helpful to know if the person your'e discussing it with has any historical knowledge of music (generally going hand in hand with developing taste), or if perhaps they're just really young and through no fault of their own haven't had exposure to more than Top 40 radio?
Having historical knowledge of ART bears no means on someone's opinion. If they like the top 40 songs, they like it. It doesn't make them dumb, or "misguided" because they don't know other music. It also doesn't make your opinions more valid because you have different tastes, which you consider "better"

DorneyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #65
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney
 
RachelDawes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In a courtroom or tied up in a warehouse
Posts: 8,717
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Really enjoyable movie. I give it an 8/10

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
PROS

- The humor was wonderful.
- The Klingons were appropriately frightening. I hope they play a central role in the next movie.
- The cast was excellent, especially Cumberbatch. Everyone nailed the emotional moments.
- The plot constantly kept me guessing. I was afraid after Khan spoke to Kirk that he actually was a good guy and we'd get another summer movie in which the rumored villain turned out not to be real. I was pleased to find out this was not the case.

CONS

- Carol Marcus was useless.
- Karl Urban's acting bugged the hell out of me.
- Cumberbatch's character had such an extraordinary build-up but fell rather flat in the second half.

__________________
RIP Heath Ledger, the Best Joker Ever.

Last edited by RachelDawes; 05-17-2013 at 09:08 PM.
RachelDawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:14 PM   #66
Cosmic
Theosophist
 
Cosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Tower of Fate
Posts: 3,348
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

I saw this last night and really enjoyed it for the great action, acting, special effects and art design. As someone said earlier, it's a blockbuster action flick wrapped in Star Trek clothing. As a longtime Trek fan, that's kind of disheartening to admit, but I still liked it for what it was.
I was blown away by some of the shots in this film. Loved the look of Kronos, and the Klingon ships and makeup.

The Enterprise losing all power and the ensuing action was wonderful. I knew what was going to happen almost all the way through, but I was still on the edge of my seat.

All of the combat choreography was top-notch. Loved the battle on Kronos. Uhura was badass. Bruce Greenwood and Peter Weller played powerful roles. The pace of the whole movie was frantic, but it slowed down enough at times to let these seasoned veterans work their magic, and it worked.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I really wanted John Harrison to be the actual villain. After he escaped to Kronos, it felt like he could've been at the center of a truly awesome and original conspiracy. After the reveal, I felt a big letdown. Also, as mentioned earlier, even though Cumberbatch was great, he was so different from Khan in a way that the other cast was not from their respective characters...it just felt like shoehorning something that doesn't quite fit. Especially frustrating, because I was thinking this rogue ex-Federation agent was going to pull off something truly original and epic.


I have some major nitpicks...some, I felt really brought the movie down from what it could've been. I recommend it for casual moviegoers, but I know some of the longtime TOS fans will hate it, and I can understand why.

Rated 6/10.

__________________
Not only can Krypto now talk like a human, but his powers are far superior to mine! I can no longer be his master! -Superboy, Adventure Comics #239
Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:16 AM   #67
bullets
bang bang
 
bullets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: in the abstract
Posts: 27,506
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

This is the most fun I've had at the theater in a long time. I loved every bit of it. It might be part of the excitement , but I give the film a 10/10.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:27 AM   #68
ironman_rick
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 219
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Just caught the movie......

Wow, it is awesome. One of the better movies from this year. I hope it grosses huge numbers because I want a third movie.

The cast had enormous chemistry between each other.

The only problem I had with this movie was Khan. His performance was quite robotic.He showed no emotions at all. Is he supposed to be like this ? (I never saw the old star trek movies). Even Spock was crying at the end of the movie.

ironman_rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:34 AM   #69
Merlo
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 220
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

The movie was real good. My major problem would be with out Khan was dealt with in the end, the guy is advanced and in the end just said
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
screw it you got me and was put into the freezer. They could have taken him to earth since he chose to comply, putting him back in can be dangerous, what if someone in the future that knows nothing about him assumes that it's ok to let him out and let's him out?


I would say that the movie is better than Star Trek, it doesn't just have one hot girl but two, it also has more action and more awesome visuals too. The acting is great and seeing Peter Weller in it was cool, I didn't know that he was in this and didn't think that his role would be as big as it was in the movie, I might see this one last time at the theater and will definitely hook myself up with a copy of it on blu ray. I will concede that the movie in execution is a tad generic in terms of story.


Last edited by Merlo; 05-18-2013 at 04:45 AM.
Merlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #70
johnrain
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 285
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Why would Harrison escape to the Klingon homeworld?

johnrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #71
LostSon88
Side-Kick
 
LostSon88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BAY AREA!!!!
Posts: 8,316
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Because he presumed the Federation would never go after him there...

__________________
My life is like school on a Sunday...no class.
LostSon88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #72
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger
 
The Caped Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New York City
Posts: 28,207
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrain View Post
Why would Harrison escape to the Klingon homeworld?
It wasn't him it was Marcus did it so he could start his war with The Klingons that is inevitable to break out soon enough.

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #73
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!
 
jonathancrane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Caverns in Arkham Island
Posts: 6,812
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets View Post
This is the most fun I've had at the theater in a long time. I loved every bit of it. It might be part of the excitement , but I give the film a 10/10.
Your post summarizes how I feel right now. Once the euphoria wears off, I will be a bit more objective in my eventual review-post, but, right now, all I can say, is, damn, it is a great film.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Aaron
"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #74
Destructus86
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,620
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

10/10
It was fantastic. Very emotional, exciting and beautiful.

I never really thought Abrams could top his first film...I felt maybe it was just a fluke the first was so good. But he proved me wrong. This really raised the bar for Trek films.

SPOILER BELOW







oh and just to add....Spock yelling Khan was WAY more dramatic and emotional than when Kirk did it in the original film.

__________________
Ephesians 4:2
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.

Last edited by Destructus86; 05-18-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Destructus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #75
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 35,602
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

An enjoyable movie but not as good or as tight as Star Trek.

A very convoluted and contrived final act.

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.