3 1 1.02%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #76
Sun_Down
Groovy

Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

I enjoyed it. The visuals and themes were interesting even if the plot was a little cobbled-together. Really liked Pine, Quinto and Cumberbatch's performances. $10 well spent.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #77
nocomics
Side-Kick

I saw this earlier today and thought it was well done movie and I thought this was the better acting of the two ST movies. There were some powerful acting moments/scenes(Kirk/Spock-Kirk death scene), Enterprise coming out of the water/clouds were visually nice shots.
At first I had issues with how Khan was done there was no real battle between Kirk/Khan, I guess they wanted to just introduce Khan. Also, didn't like they reversed the role of Kirk/Spock at the death scene just felt awkward and having Spock yell 'Kahn' was also awkward, but after a bit I got what they were trying to do(letting Spock be more emotional, while Kirk more logical). I just hope this was just a prelude to a real battle between Kirk and Khan for a future movie. I also didn't see a reason for 'Old Spock' to be in this movie felt it was just a cheap throw in.

nocomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #78
LostSon88
Side-Kick

It's pretty clear why they avoided a full blown Kirk vs. Khan...

Khan would destroy Kirk. Physically, he's simply too powerful.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #79
bullets
bang bang

Kirk was manipulated by Khan and physically beaten by him twice. I think it made more sense for Spock to outwit Khan.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #80
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Exactly.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #81
blksuperman2
Deadly Akuma

Awesome movie. Loved it. I've stayed away from all the spoilers but as soon as
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Harrison started taking out Klingons, I was like "He's gonna end up being Khan".
So the twist wasn't all that impressive to me. Actually before that, I was thinking how awesome of a villian Harrison was and was hoping he'd be a long time villian. After the reveal I kinda thought him too gimmicky but he was still an awesome villian.

The only thing I didn't like about this film is the
addition of (Nimoy) Spock.
. I hope it's not going to be a reoccurring thing where anytime the crew gets into trouble they call the guy from the future and he helps them figure stuff out. Also, now everytime there's something that goes awry in the subsequent films they'll have to take time out and explain that everything is playing out this way because of the events from the first film. Which was one of my gripes about the first film and why I thought it a bad idea to mess around w/ the timeline.

My website :My NEW Fan Art thread
blksuperman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:26 PM   #82
LostSon88
Side-Kick

He didnt really give them any vital information though. He pretty much just said not to take this guy lightly...

Old 05-18-2013, 11:47 PM   #83
Heretic
Side-Kick

First, a bit of background...

I'm not a Star Trek fan. I like Sci-Fi and all...but Trek has never been my thing. Haven't watched but a few of the original movie series, and less than 5 total hours of tv shows of all the series combined. I was dragged to the reboot movie a few years ago and found it a fun popcorn movie that had plenty of fan service lines and scenes to make the crowds happy.

To me, this movie worked. I've heard complaints that it was nothing but pandering fan-service (which I felt the first movie actually should have been and did well)..but honestly it didn't feel that way for me. It gave us some moments to smile about the past, and obviously the movie was a re-imagining of a previously told story, but again...I was fine with that. I did not like the stupid cameo, and hope that this never happens again. I will say that the franchise now needs to move on in its own direction, completely separate from any ties to the original franchise. It looks like the next movie's storyline is already set, so that should be cool. Speaking of which...I really wish that the movie had avoided an on the ground fight scene with the Klingons. When the Klingons show up for the first time ever, you don't have dozens of them picked off by one man, no matter who that man is. To me, that scene should have been an aerial combat/chase scene that ended with the Klingon ship being blown out of the sky by the person who interrupted the scene. It would have done the same thing to set up the next film, but saved face for the Klingons leading into the future.

Last edited by Heretic; 05-18-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #84
blksuperman2
Deadly Akuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSon88 View Post
He didnt really give them any vital information though. He pretty much just said not to take this guy lightly...
Quinto Spock asks him how they defeated
Khan
in his timeline. Then the scene cuts so you are to assume that he gave him pointers on how to defeat him. I just hope that's really the last we see of the
Nimoy Spock

Old 05-19-2013, 01:16 AM   #85
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by blksuperman2 View Post
The only thing I didn't like about this film is the
addition of (Nimoy) Spock.
. I hope it's not going to be a reoccurring thing where anytime the crew gets into trouble they call the guy from the future and he helps them figure stuff out. Also, now everytime there's something that goes awry in the subsequent films they'll have to take time out and explain that everything is playing out this way because of the events from the first film. Which was one of my gripes about the first film and why I thought it a bad idea to mess around w/ the timeline.
I can totally understand why you resent the presence of Nimoy Spock, but for me that was the single coolest part of the movie. I was actually suckered into thinking that Khan was a poor, put upon individual, and then you-know-who's revelation turned everything on its head.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:39 AM   #86
blksuperman2
Deadly Akuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
I can totally understand why you resent the presence of Nimoy Spock, but for me that was the single coolest part of the movie. I was actually suckered into thinking that Khan was a poor, put upon individual, and then you-know-who's revelation turned everything on its head.
That's actually where things seemed to go a little off for me. I was starting to think that Khan had some sort of redeeming quality and you sort of started to forget that he's just some maniac. Then you get the cameo and that's what gives you the feeling. It just took me out of the pace and the mood of the film and I felt it cheapened the climax.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:39 AM   #87
StarkTheProdigy
Side-Kick

Loved the film. A great paced story, great performances by the cast, visuals used effectively, and some awesome character development.

"You experience things, and then they're over."
StarkTheProdigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:15 AM   #88
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post

Some people think it's unnecessary exposition , but I considered it a great set-up for the twist.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:14 AM   #89
Superhero 101
DESI

Loved it very entertaining from start to finish! 9/10

Old 05-19-2013, 04:12 AM   #90
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets View Post
Some people think it's unnecessary exposition , but I considered it a great set-up for the twist.
For some odd reason, I kinda liked his appearance. I kinda gasp when I saw him! Like seeing an old friend!

Old 05-19-2013, 06:03 AM   #91
The Sage
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

I don't really see the reveal of Harrison as Khan to be a twist. There was no misdirection or anything to make us think otherwise during the film. Unless you count Abrams' interviews. When one of my friends heard it, he just smiled and said "I knew it!" And several audience members were gasped or just nodded their heads. It didn't affect my viewing of it.

While not wholly original, they used just the right amount influence from Wrath of Khan. They used the ending, but it was done so powerfully with the role reversal between Kirk and Spock. The chase scene was the highlight for me. My gosh, the way the camera captured it all, the emotion, the acting. Just breathtaking.

JJ Abrams is going to own Star Wars Episode VII. I can't wait to see what he has planned.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:33 AM   #92
phoenixflight
Amazing Amazon

Absolutely loved this movie. 9/10.

- Beautiful scenes (that paid homage to Star Trek old, yet original enough to solidify it in Trek history and leave a lasting memory).
- Great dialog (from heartfelt messages to witty banter, everything said had a purpose that either touched me or made me smile).
- Breathtaking action (from start to finish I was on the edge of my seat with this thrill ride...IMAX 3D is the best way to enjoy this movie).

Definitely looking forward to the next installment.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #93
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

10/10 for me. This movie was absolutely fabulous. It had an emotional core that sets it apart from the standard sci-fi flick. Obviously the big stars Chris Pine, Cumberpatch and Zachary Quinto carried the show, but I think I was most impressed with Zoe Saldana's Uhura, who is certainly no damsel in distress. Her one-on-one battle with Khan in defense of her man Spock was effing BRILLIANT.

The trailers were obviously deliberately misleading as I was believing that was the Enterprise crashing into the ocean and into Star Fleet Headquarters. Again, extremely clever marketing. Bravo to all involved and I'm really hoping that the studio can somehow secure these actors and J.J. Abrams for a third film.

Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #94
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!

4/10 from me. It was humming along as a good 7/10 for most of the movie even after the Khan reveal that we all saw coming more than a year out. But as soon as the WoK ripoff happened this film just took a nose dive and really got me angry. IMO, they hadn't earned the right to retread this and I was actually laughing during what was supposed to be the saddest moment of the film. Anyway, I guess I should have expected no less from Abrams, Orci & Kurtzman.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #95
Megalith
Banned User

The film seemed completely remarkable to me; it's as if nothing happened. And it felt like there were NO LOCATIONS in the movie other than space and Earth.

Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #96
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

9/10, the movie is a fun ride and definitely gives a lot to the fans. I will say that the complaints about the ending are legit, as are, what I referred to as the "Spock Ex Machina".

All things said though the film is a visual wonder and a fast paced thrill ride. However I feel it falls a bit short of the 09 film, and it's disappointing that not only could they grow the audience for Star Trek, this film actually sold fewer tickets than the 09 film.

I do think that some people are being a little too nitpicky. Let's face it, this film is lightyears beyond any of the Star Wars prequels, and the annoying Transformers crap films. On the flip side, this film also doesn't give anyone anything new, and the overindulgence of fan service perhaps turned off normal movie goers.

Yes, Trek has had fan service, but Wrath of Khan did not. In fact that film had the guts to go where no Trek film had gone before. It told a straight forward story within the Trek Universe, borrowing from the TV series, but not requiring that anyone have seen the show to enjoy the movie. Take First Contact, easily the best of the Next Generation films, yet turns off the average movie goer with unnecessary cameos from Reginald Barclay and Voyagers holographic doctor. I felt the 09 film was much more clever about providing fan service without making the general audience feel like they are attending a Star Trek convention.

However, all nitpicks aside. STID is a visual delight and Cumberbatch's performance puts this movie into a classic.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #97
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

8/10. Not as good as the first film but still pretty solid.

Proud Co-founder of Gambit’s Royal Flush
squeekness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #98
godisawesome
Side-Kick

8/10

Like Wrath of Khan, this one was a more personal and character driven story then it's predecessor, and in a lot of ways benefitted from more visceral dialogue and excellent acting. Spock, Kirk, Sulu, and most of the crew got their own subplots and times to shine, with major character development for Spock and Kirk. Spock continues to show significant but not disastrous digressions from his Prime Timeline version, much as Kirk did in the last movie. Both of our heroes have lost family at a young age under adverse circumstances, and they are both a bit more volatile and a bit more emphatic with others. The line Khan delivers about his crew being family is just as valid for the Enterprise at this point: they've all bled, cried, and rejoiced as one family, and the bond is arguably tighter among the whole crew then we expected.

Cumberbatch and Weller provided a wonderfully contrasted ensemble of villains. Weller's Marcus was clearly more pragmatic and sociopathic than Khan, which explains why for most of the film he's clearly got the upper hand on Khan. Khan had 72 weak points and is an emotional superman with an oversized ego. Marcus had one weakness and new how to play his hand up to a certain point. Both men are stalemated until the Enterprise takes Khan's side thanks to Marcus's ruthlessness, and Khan's tunnel vision on his crew and his vendetta leaves him vulnerable to a classic empty-shell con.

Thus, we get a cold, calculating villain we hate once his true colors are revealed, and a sympathetic, hot blooded and passionate villain we fear once he unmasks himself. We understand why Marcus needs to be taken out first, but Khan's short lived alliance with the crew and his more personal body-count make us righteously angry at his inevitable betrayal.

Kirk grows into a true father to his men, appropriate considering his father's fate, Spock comes to understand the true value of emotions and the absolute depth of the crew's bond. Kirk is validated and shown as a true leader by his ability to adapt his plans and trust his advisors. And every single one of us is pumped to see Spock go Hulk on Khan at the end.

The only part that really feels wasted to me is Kirk's death, and not because the idea is bad or it's horrifically executed, but because I really expected creative minds to make a stark contrast between this scene and its predecessor. It's okay, but it only really kicks back into gear once Spock says Khan! as the Vengeance storms past.

-C.S. Lewis
godisawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #99
Asteroid-Man
Ham Sammiches

Pretty good film. I give it a 7.8/10. Rounded up to 8/10 for the poll.

Ke tokhme sokhan ra parakandeam.
Posting Since 09/24/05 10:30 am
Asteroid-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:23 PM   #100
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

7/10

In some ways it's better than the '09 film... the action scenes are better put together and Chris Pine does a more nuanced Kirk than I thought he was capable of. Cumberbatch was excellent as the villain, but the writers failed to write enough good scenes for him. That scene where he overpowers both Kirk and General Marcus in the takeover of the ship has genuine charge and Cumberbatch radiates menace. (I wanted more scenes like that with him, not doing a Loki/Joker impression.) In most of the other scenes, he's either an enigma or poorly directed.

And some of the supporting characters, like Uhura and Bones, aren't given much to do. Uhura gets snippy with Spock, follows Kirk's orders and kicks ass when necessary... not much development on her part. And Bones is just there to be funny, and not really serve a key purpose in the plot (he didn't get one in the previous film either). And when Harrison's true colors are revealed, the writers treat this like an AU fanfic ending for 'Wrath of Khan' rather than trying something more original or daring.

Despite my gripes with the plot, I still enjoyed the movie. It's more of the same but it does a lot better than Iron Man 2 did.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote