The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Trek > Star Trek Into Darkness

View Poll Results: Rate the Movie
10 23 23.47%
9 37 37.76%
8 24 24.49%
7 6 6.12%
6 5 5.10%
5 1 1.02%
4 1 1.02%
3 1 1.02%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 04:35 AM   #101
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger
 
RetrogradeOrbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: In my head, listening to its voice...
Posts: 2,285
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

After my first viewing, half of me liked it, the other half did not. So at the moment I guess that means I don't feel anything about it!

I was disappointed with the reveal of Harrison as Khan. In fact my friend sitting next to me heard me audibly sigh when Harrison said his true name in the brig.

I was also disappointed with the blatant rip off of the TWOK "get the engines back on-line" ending but with the "clever" role reversal.

The rest of the film I quite liked. It was a bit too action packed for my tastes. Sometimes things need to go a bit slower so that an audience can catch their breath.

Perhaps I will like it more on a repeat viewing...

__________________
"Carpe Diem"

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
RetrogradeOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:43 AM   #102
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 36,909
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

I think the film could've benefited from an extra 15 minutes. Not to add anything more, but some quieter scenes where you catch your breathe.

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #103
JayJustROTFL
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 131
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Kind of a fan review...

comicbookgirl19 reviews Star Trek Into Darkness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?client=...&v=hF-kdQgmpVo

JayJustROTFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #104
nightwing06
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,543
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

The talents of the many outweigh the lack of originality in Star Trek Into Darkness
Director J. J. Abrams wisely uses what Trekkies and casual Star Trek fans love of
about Star Trek and it's characters.References and Star Trek in jokes are in place
to satisfy the audience.

Chris Pine as Commander/Captain James T. Kirk, Zachary Quinto as First Officer Spock,
continue to make the characters their own.The friendship and bond that Future Spock
(Leonard Nimoy) spoke of as defining them in 2009's Star Trek continues to grow
with some bumps along the way.
The more than welcome talents of Bruce Greenwood as Rear Admiral Christopher Pike and stern father
figure to Kirk and Peter Weller, as Starfleet Admiral Alexander Marcus definitely make
memorable impressions.
Last but not least Benedict Cumberbatch as renegade ,terrorist Commander John Harrison adds much needed weight
to the film and will likely be one of the most memorable big screen villains of 2013.

Some inconsistancies and old -hat paths the film takes are a bit distracting but that doesnt take away
from the strength of the rousing adventure J.J Abrams has produced.
Im looking forward to where the crew of USS Enterprise boldly goes next.

Scale of 1-10 an 8

nightwing06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #105
Destructus86
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,065
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
I don't really see the reveal of Harrison as Khan to be a twist. There was no misdirection or anything to make us think otherwise during the film. Unless you count Abrams' interviews. When one of my friends heard it, he just smiled and said "I knew it!" And several audience members were gasped or just nodded their heads. It didn't affect my viewing of it.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
While not wholly original, they used just the right amount influence from Wrath of Khan. They used the ending, but it was done so powerfully with the role reversal between Kirk and Spock. The chase scene was the highlight for me. My gosh, the way the camera captured it all, the emotion, the acting. Just breathtaking.

JJ Abrams is going to own Star Wars Episode VII. I can't wait to see what he has planned.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

I had no idea it was Khan until pretty much the reveal. I had a slight guess a little before that but I wasn't sure.


I consider this to be one of the best Trek films ever.

__________________
You are not as important as you think you are.
Destructus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #106
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 23,645
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Watched this last night and absolutely loved it, never really been that much into Trek, but LOVED the last film and LOVED the sequel, it was a great follow up and things were escalated to the maximum. I cant remember that much today because I was drunk when I watched it but I couldnt tear my eyes from the screen and I found it amazing.

Cast were amazing, Cumberbatch owned, the returning cast were superb, the CGI was phenominal, it was hard to tell what was CGI and what wasnt, good story and an amazing ending as well, 9/10, I will be seeing this again as I currently cant decide which one I like most.

__________________
2014 movie ratings out of 10:

1)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(2)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(3)The Lego Movie-7.5(4)Robocop-7.5(5)300:Rise Of An Empire-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #107
BattleCat
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Earth Realm
Posts: 818
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

It was an enjoyable film, but it just didn't feel like star trek to me.

__________________
Arizona Cardinals & Phoenix Suns fan
BattleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #108
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com
 
mkilban2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cleveland/Kent, Ohio
Posts: 2,960
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

I'm not a lurker here but I tried asking this in another forum that Star Trek got brought up and some people got upset and sent me here so...

How are people (Trek fans I'd assume) recieving the movie? I've never seen the TV show itself, and just recently watched Star Trek 1 and Into Darkness the past few days, I personally enjoyed them and the villain in STID was cool and menacing although I wish there was more to him in some way. I also found it cool that Spock Prime (old spock) was telling him about Khan in his own timeline (the star trek wrath of khan movie) I didn't understand his (old spock's) character fully in the first one but after doing some internet reading I realized that this is an alternate star trek universe and he was thrown into it after going thru the black hole in Star Trek 1 (went over my head in the first), so he has a slight knowledge of the stuff going on the the current Enterprise crew which was cool,

the other thing I liked was the whole Kirk going into the radiation thing to fix it then 'dying' which I didn't know mirrored Wrath of Khan with the role reversal but thought it worked well here and we got to really see Spock's human side.. did Trek fans hate or love that? (seeing about 50/50 since reading the past 5 pages)

going into the movies not knowing about the previous trek history was probably a better thing for the sake of not comparing it to past efforts but I enjoyed both films, and I'm looking forward to the next one as well.

8/10

__________________
"1983: I was 14 years old and I still have a nanny.. that was weird!"

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
mkilban2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #109
blksuperman2
Deadly Akuma
 
blksuperman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Black Krypton
Posts: 5,640
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
I'm not a lurker here but I tried asking this in another forum that Star Trek got brought up and some people got upset and sent me here so...

How are people (Trek fans I'd assume) recieving the movie? I've never seen the TV show itself, and just recently watched Star Trek 1 and Into Darkness the past few days, I personally enjoyed them and the villain in STID was cool and menacing although I wish there was more to him in some way. I also found it cool that Spock Prime (old spock) was telling him about Khan in his own timeline (the star trek wrath of khan movie) I didn't understand his (old spock's) character fully in the first one but after doing some internet reading I realized that this is an alternate star trek universe and he was thrown into it after going thru the black hole in Star Trek 1 (went over my head in the first), so he has a slight knowledge of the stuff going on the the current Enterprise crew which was cool,

the other thing I liked was the whole Kirk going into the radiation thing to fix it then 'dying' which I didn't know mirrored Wrath of Khan with the role reversal but thought it worked well here and we got to really see Spock's human side.. did Trek fans hate or love that? (seeing about 50/50 since reading the past 5 pages)

going into the movies not knowing about the previous trek history was probably a better thing for the sake of not comparing it to past efforts but I enjoyed both films, and I'm looking forward to the next one as well.

8/10
Wasn't upset. Glad you found this forum.

I'm a loooong time Trekkie and love(w/ reservation) the direction the revamp has gone. These movies were really geared to the general public who either hated all things Trek or knew nothing about it. Many of my friends only saw the '09 movie because I forced them and they all agreed that it was awesome. So to answer your questions:

1) I think it's received rather well by both the GA and Trek fans (although the latter might feel that this is just a rehash of what we've seen 30yrs ago.)

2) I think it works in the same vein that they were trying to convey in the first film. That no matter what changes were made to the timeline, These characters are destined to remain on the paths that we know of. Good or bad.

Speaking for someone who has seen every single episode of every single season of every series. The '09 movie clearly destroyed everything that you've come to know for basically the last 50yrs. But I've come to accept it as an alternate reality and just enjoy the ride.

__________________
Our story begins with the death of Huo Yuan jia



My website :My NEW Fan Art thread
blksuperman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:01 AM   #110
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 36,909
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Even if the movie doesn't work for some people, at least people are talking about it. There's a discussion going on, so that's always interesting.

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #111
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Mr. Vigilante-10 Years
 
DaRkVeNgeanCe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 12,695
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

9.5/10 I absolutely loved this film, hands down one of the best of its kind.

__________________
GODZILLA
T H E A M A Z I N G S P I D E R - M A N 2 - M A Y 2
1939-2014: 75 YEARS OF THE BATMAN
- BEN AFFLECK IS BATMAN-#TrustBatfleck -
SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #112
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover
 
Motown Marvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Detroit Rock City
Posts: 20,656
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

This is a pretty damn entertaining read...

http://io9.com/star-trek-into-darkne...-faq-508927844
Quote:
Star Trek Into Darkness: The Spoiler FAQ

After making a mere $84 million at the U.S. box office, Star Trek Into Darkness is considered by some to be a disappointment. Perhaps the problem is that it was a touch confusing. To help our readers better understand it, we've complied and answered these Frequently Asked Questions about the movie.

Maximum spoilers ahead...

How does the movie start?

Well, with Kirk and Bones ****ing with a planet of primitive aliens. They steal some kind of holy scroll, and then get chased through a red jungle.

Seems like kind of a dick move.

Well, it’s not very clear, but ostensibly they’ve stolen the scroll to get chased, in order to draw the aliens away from a volcano that’s about to explode.

Okay, that seems reasonable.

Except that 1) when the volcano erupts, it’s going to kill everybody on the planet, so it hardly matters where they are, and 2) Spock is getting dropped down into the volcano to set off a cold fusion bomb.

Wait, what?

Yeah, he sets off the cold fusion bomb and all the lava freezes.

You know cold fusion isn’t actually cold, right? It’s only “cold” in the sense that opposed to regular fusion it’s not a bazillion degrees hot.

Huh.

And did you say Spock was in the volcano? Why the hell didn’t they just beam the bomb in there?

Um, something about the planet’s magnetic field. Although they do beam Spock out of the volcano just a few minutes later, so…

And why did Spock have to go with the bomb to set it off? Are you telling me in the 23rd century that people don’t have a way to detonate bombs remotely? That’s stupid.

Well —

And why the **** is the Enterprise just carrying around a cold fusion suitcase bomb anyways?

Look, you’re getting very upset, and this is just the first scene of the movie.

Okay, fine. What happens next?

Well, Spock’s zipline breaks, so he’s stuck in the volcano, The Enterprise is underwater, so Kirk can’t ascend without the aliens seeing it, thus breaking the Prime Directiv —

WHAT.

The Enterprise is parked in the ocean.

That’s ridiculous. Even the ship designed to function in the vacuum of space could handle the pressures underwater — which I’m 99% sure it can’t — even if the thrusters could function underwater, which makes no sense — and even if the ship could survive flying out of the water without the insanely large surface area of the front part snapping off like a twig — why the ****ing **** did they park it underwater instead of just hanging out in space like they were supposed to?!

Because J.J. Abrams saw the Helicarrier scene from Avengers and got jealous, I guess.

Look, I know Star Trek is science fiction, but hasn’t Trek always at least nominally tried to get science right? Shouldn’t a Star Trek movie give the tiniest **** about such things?

One might presume.

UGH.

Let’s just move on. So Kirk rescues Spock, breaks the Prime Directive by showing themselves to the aliens, the aliens start worshipping the Enterprise, Spock sends a report to Starfleet on what happened, Kirk gets busted, Kirk is removed as Captain of the Enterprise.

What?

Yeah. You know how the first movie was all about Kirk’s journey from a rebellious kid to a more mature leader of men?

Yeah?

Well, we’re doing that again!

I repeat, UGH.

Meanwhile, Rose’s boyfriend Mickey from Doctor Who puts a ring in a glass and blows up the Starfleet library in London.

Why does he do that?

In exchange for Benedict Cumberbatch saving his sick kid. This forces all the Starfleet bigwigs — including Pike, who’s reinstated as the captain of the Enterprise — and Kirk, who becomes Pike’s first officer — to meet at very specific room with large windows at Starfleet HQ to discuss the situation.

That sounds like a bad idea.

As it turns out, it is. Cumberbatch bombed the library just to get all the heads of Starfleet in this room, so he can use a small gunship and shoot the hell out of everyone in it. Pike dies before Kirk manages to destroy the ship with a fire hose, and Cumberbatch beams away.

Pike dies? He doesn’t get in his little wheelchair box?

Alas, no. Because everything is about Kirk, Kirk uses the opportunity to ask Starfleet Admiral Peter Weller for permission to take the Enterprise and go kill the **** out of Benedict Cumberbatch. Weller accepts. After Scotty somehow figures out that Cumberbatch has gone to the Klingon homeworld, Weller gives the Enterprise 72 experimental new photon torpedoes and says when they locate Harrison, they need to just bomb him from orbit.

Eesh. So that “kill the **** out of Benedict Cumberbatch” thing was literal, huh?

Very much so.

That… that doesn’t seem very Starfleet-y to me.

Well, it doesn’t seem very Starfleet-y to Spock, either, who points out to Kirk that it’s both legally and morally wrong to kill even a known terrorist without a trial. But Kirk really, really want to get revenge for Pike, even to the point of firing Scotty when Scotty refuses to allow the mysterious photon torpedoes on board unless he can see what’s in them (something to do with them maybe ****ing up the warp engine).

Kirk fires Scotty? What kind of a Star Trek film is this?

Well, he accepts Scotty’s resignation, but I think your question stands. Anyways, Carol Marcus — who is Admiral Peter Weller’s daughter, although we’re not supposed to know this, and who also has an English accent for some reason — sneaks on board, because she’s a weapons specialist and interested in the torpedoes.

Wasn’t Carol Marcus a molecular biologist in the original Trek universe?

Yeah, I assume the career switch is Eric Bana’s fault.

So then what?

Then Kirk finally decides that murdering a man in cold blood possibly isn’t the right thing to do, and announces they are going to try to catch Benedict Cumberbatch alive. They head to Kronos and are pretty much immediately caught by Klingons, but are saved by Benedict Cumberbatch.

Huh? Why does he save them?

I think mostly to show what a supreme badass he is, since he takes them all out simultaneously, including a few ships, thanks to a very big gun. And then he surrenders.

Huh? What? Why?

Well, he finds out about the weird torpedoes — specifically, the number of them, which is 72 — and then surrenders. There’s actually a reason.

Which is?

Well, as Kirk finds out when he interrogates Benedict Cumberbatch, Cumberbatch made the torpedoes for Peter Weller, and inside each torpedo is one of his cryogenically frozen people, because as it turns out that Cumberbatch is actually —

Khan.





Aren’t you shocked? Aren’t you surprised at this incredible reveal?

No, I’m just angry. When the movie was announced, Abrams and whoever clearly stated that Cumberbatch would be playing a canon Trek character, and everybody guessed it was Khan. Then they promised he wasn’t playing Khan. And then they said Cumberbatch’s character’s name was John Harrison, even though there’s no previous Trek character named John Harrison, and again we knew it was Khan. And they tried to make it this whole big mystery as if we were all morons who had some how forgotten a classic Trek character named John Harrison, like they were actually going to pull one over on us when we were telling them over an over again that we knew it was Khan and the only thing they were accomplishing by denying it was 1) being *******s and 2) insulting our intelligence.

Well —

And furthermore, using Khan just proves that nu-Trek is going to be nothing more than the greatest hits version of Star Trek, and not even the original hits — some new band covering the old hits. It means that Abrams doesn’t have any original ideas for Star Trek, and is content to rehash the **** people enjoyed the first time. Of all the classic Trek characters to bring back, of all the classic stories they could have brought to mass audiences for the first time, or even bad stories that they could have improved, they go with the one character everybody already ****ing knows because they think all we want to see is the same old ****.

You seem to have strong feelings about this.

I do. Also, did you say Khan put his frozen people in torpedoes?

Yes.

He’s a brilliant strategist and that’s the best plan he could come up with? To hide the people he so desperately wanted to save in explosives? What the **** was he going to do if Kirk hadn’t conveniently had all those torpedoes on him? And why did Peter Weller give Kirk all 72 torpedoes to kill a single dude in the first place?

…um… Eric Bana?

**** you.

Don’t shoot the Frequently Asked Question Answerer, please. Anyways, Kirk verifies the frozen torpedo people with thanks from Carol Markus and Bones, gets some coordinates from Khan, and calls Scotty, the person he’d so recently let go and asks him to check it out. As it turns out, Peter Weller is building a giant combat starship out there because he wants to militarize Starfleet because he’s certain we’re going to meet more races like the Klingons and also because he’s a dick. Weller is also the one who found Khan floating in space, woke him up, and forced him to use his intellect and powers to make badass weapons for him.

Why was Khan floating in space?

Actually, this Khan has the same origin as the original Khan; he’s a genetically engineered warrior, created for the Eugenics Wars of the 1990s. He ruled part of Asia befor —

Wait, what? The Eugenics Wars of the 1990s?

Yes.

We didn’t have any Eugenics Wars in the 1990s, unless you count Dawson’s Creek.

Yeah, but Gene Roddenberry didn’t know that when he created Khan in 1967.

But we do, because it’s 2013.

But it’s canon! Don’t you like canon?

I like it when it doesn’t get stupid. And why the hell would Abrams and crew stick to Khan’s origin timeline, even though it makes zero sense, but also suddenly change him to a white dude? That’s cherry-picking the stupidest parts of canon and non-canon!

I don’t know. I think it’s nice that in this day and age, a white male can still be cast as an Indian played by a Mexican. White men really have come a long way!

I’m going to punch you in your throat.

Anyways, that’s Khan’s deal. Weller flies the Killerprise to meet Kirk and steal his prisoner, so he 1) doesn’t get caught being an evil dick and 2) can continue being an evil dick and militarize Starfleet. He beams his daughter onto his ship, and then starts firing. The Enterprise takes more direct hits than it does in the entirety of the original TV series.

Huh.

But before Weller fires the final shot, Scotty, who has snuck upon the Killerprise and apparently been waiting for this exact moment, resets the Killerprise’s power, forcing it to boot back up like Mac (and almost as long). Since the Enterprise has no weapons or shields, Kirk takes the opportunity to team up with Khan and they fly over to the Killerprise; Scotty lets them in.

What?

Yeah, Kirk teams up with Khan! Isn’t that cool? The two enemies, forced to work together to take out a greater enemy?

No, because Khan’s an *******. Kirk’s being a moron.

In Kirk’s defense, it only takes him 5-10 minutes to realize he’s made a horrible mistake. This mistake is confirmed when they reach the bridge and Khan beats the **** out of Kirk and Scotty, breaks Carol’s leg, and crushes Peter Weller’s head in his hands.

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I figured.

Meanwhile, Spock calls old Spock to ask him what the deal with this Khan guy is.

I thought Old Spock has agreed never to tell New Spock anything so he could live his own life and all that jazz.

Yes. And we know this because Spock says “I had vowed never to tell you anything of your future because I want to live your own life and blah blah blah” just before adding “but Khan is an ******* and here’s exactly how we defeated him.”

Sigh.

Khan offers to trade Kirk and the others for his people and their torpedo beds, which acting captain Spock agrees to. Of course, Spock arms all the torpedoes right before Khan beams them over, so the Killerprise explodes (although not before shooting the Enterprise several million more times).

Brilliant strategist, eh?

He was a little excited. Also, he still had Peter Weller’s skull juice all over his hands; that would distract anybody.

So we’re done?

By no means. The Enterprise is pretty much dead and has entered Earth’s orbit, meaning it's falling really, really fast. The problem is that the warp drive is misaligned, so —

Wait a minute. I know what’s happening here.

— so the ship can’t stop falling, but the warp drive room is full of radiation and —

Goddammit. GODDAMMIT

— so Kirk runs into the Warp Drive room and kicks it back into place —

OH GOD IT’S KIRK THIS TIME THAT’S EVEN WORSE

— and then Spock realizes what’s happened and he runs down to the room where he sees Kirk dying behind the locked glass door and —

AAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGHHHHH

— and Kirk puts his hand on the glass and Spock puts his hand on the glass and he makes the Vulcan salute and Kirk dies and —

NO DON’T YOU SAY IT

— Spock —

NO GODDAMMIT DON’T YOU SAY IT

— Spock yells —

AAAAUUUUUUUUURRRRRRGRGGGGGGHHHHH

“Khhaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnn!”

****.

Why don’t you like it?

I liked it just fine, the first time I saw it in Wrath of Khan. Of course, the reason I like it is is because Kirk and Spock’s friendship has been part of pop culture for 15 years, so Spock’s death and Kirk’s anguish was given some actual agency, instead of now, when Kirk and Spock have known each other for four hours of screentime, two of which they didn’t like each other. I also liked it the first time because it was new and not a crass, creatively bankrupt attempt to manipulate the audience’s emotions, not through sadness because there’s clearly no way Kirk is actually going to stay dead, but because the scene is nothing more “HERE IS SOMETHING YOU HAVE SEEN BEFORE WITH A SLIGHT DIFFERENCE SO YOU WILL LIKE IT” as opposed to even trying to give us something, anything, genuinely new.

Oh.

So next movie is “The Search for Kirk,” I suppose?

Nah. See, Bones drew some of Khan’s blood to figure out why he was so strong and resilient, and he injected it into a dead Tribble because… because I suppose Bones’ hobby is inject dead things with various people’s blood? It’s a little weird.

/sound of facepalm

As it happens, as soon as Bones’ hears Kirk has died, the dead Tribble comes back to life, thanks to Khan’s blood!

/sound of gun being loaded

The Killerprise has crash-landed on San Francisco, and Khan is of course fine despite the destruction of many, many high-rise buildings and thousands upon thousands of people. Spock chases Khan down, they have a fist fight on top of some moving flying cars, and with help from Uhura they get their man. And they bring Kirk back to life!

Uh-huh. So they’ve just eliminated death forever.

Beg pardon?

Kirk was dead for many, many minutes of radiation poisoning, right? He gets injected with Khan’s blood —

A synthesized version of it.

— even better. So what wouldn’t Khan’s blood fix? Decapitation, but most other mortal wounds? Poisons? Phaser blasts, I bet. Certainly most other illnesses and cancers and such. And probably aging, at leats to an extent. So basically Bones has discovered the secret to eternal life, and not only will no one on the Enterprise ever need to die again unless their body is somehow destroyed, but all of the civilization — heck, probably galactic civilization – will be irrevocably changed because of this amazing discovery.

Uh, I don’t think so. I think they just save Kirk and then forget about it.

Of course they do. And I suppose the Tribble that Bones brought back to life multiplies like Tribbles do and causes its own horrible situation?

No, it’s just not mentioned again. Maybe Bones kills it with his bare hands to keep it from spawning. Or maybe he injects it with Mountain Dew or something, since that’s how he rolls.

/sound of gun being cocked

And then Kirk gives a speech at Starfleet a year later, because everything is all about him, and then they start on their five-year mission! Which will almost certainly involve Space Whales, since that’s the next biggest thing people remember about Star Trek. The end!

__________________
Dear Prudence, won't you come out and play?
Motown Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #113
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com
 
mkilban2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cleveland/Kent, Ohio
Posts: 2,960
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blksuperman2 View Post
Wasn't upset. Glad you found this forum.

I'm a loooong time Trekkie and love(w/ reservation) the direction the revamp has gone. These movies were really geared to the general public who either hated all things Trek or knew nothing about it. Many of my friends only saw the '09 movie because I forced them and they all agreed that it was awesome. So to answer your questions:

1) I think it's received rather well by both the GA and Trek fans (although the latter might feel that this is just a rehash of what we've seen 30yrs ago.)

2) I think it works in the same vein that they were trying to convey in the first film. That no matter what changes were made to the timeline, These characters are destined to remain on the paths that we know of. Good or bad.

Speaking for someone who has seen every single episode of every single season of every series. The '09 movie clearly destroyed everything that you've come to know for basically the last 50yrs. But I've come to accept it as an alternate reality and just enjoy the ride.
you saying they go down paths we basically already know if, either good or bad made me think of something.. Is anyone on the current Enterprise crew in the movies a person who essentially is a bad person or goes towards a bad path?

__________________
"1983: I was 14 years old and I still have a nanny.. that was weird!"

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
mkilban2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #114
mclay18
Sexed-up archery
 
mclay18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,689
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Obviously the big stars Chris Pine, Cumberpatch and Zachary Quinto carried the show, but I think I was most impressed with Zoe Saldana's Uhura, who is certainly no damsel in distress. Her one-on-one battle with Khan in defense of her man Spock was effing BRILLIANT.
She just shot him with a phaser several times, without wavering. I was expecting Uhura to go bananas and land a punch or two herself.

__________________
Think McFly Think


"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #115
Chris B
Side-Kick
 
Chris B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,243
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

I caught STID yesterday and I'm very satisfied with how it turned out. It definitely matches ST09 in quality, maybe even exceeds it.

My only complaint was that while his performance itself was good, Benedict Cumberbatch just feels miscast as Khan to me. I think they should've gotten someone closer to Richardo Moltaban, so I am a little disappointed that they weren't able to work something out with Benecio del Toro.

__________________
"Is it fear or courage that compels you, fleshling?"
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #116
Hulk1968
An agent of chaos...
 
Hulk1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 639
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Saw it today in 3D...surprisingly it worked.

Overall, an excellent film even if it was similar to WOK.
9 stars out of 10.

__________________
My Toho / Godzilla 2014 teaser trailer edit:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Hulk1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #117
blksuperman2
Deadly Akuma
 
blksuperman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Black Krypton
Posts: 5,640
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
you saying they go down paths we basically already know if, either good or bad made me think of something.. Is anyone on the current Enterprise crew in the movies a person who essentially is a bad person or goes towards a bad path?
No, sorry, what I meant is that the essence of the characters still remain even though the history has been altered. So both the good and bad traits the characters had are still threre. ie. Kirk being a male chauvinist hot-head who doesn't follow the Prime Directive. Spock being cold and distant.

I do like how they've allowed Spock to show some emotions and reinforce that he is indeed half/human. TOS and movies seemed to forget this fact.

__________________
Our story begins with the death of Huo Yuan jia



My website :My NEW Fan Art thread
blksuperman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #118
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com
 
mkilban2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cleveland/Kent, Ohio
Posts: 2,960
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
I caught STID yesterday and I'm very satisfied with how it turned out. It definitely matches ST09 in quality, maybe even exceeds it.

My only complaint was that while his performance itself was good, Benedict Cumberbatch just feels miscast as Khan to me. I think they should've gotten someone closer to Richardo Moltaban, so I am a little disappointed that they weren't able to work something out with Benecio del Toro.

was Benecio del Toro originally up for that role of Khan? He would have been cool to see, I've always liked him.


Quote:
Originally Posted by blksuperman2 View Post
No, sorry, what I meant is that the essence of the characters still remain even though the history has been altered. So both the good and bad traits the characters had are still threre. ie. Kirk being a male chauvinist hot-head who doesn't follow the Prime Directive. Spock being cold and distant.

I do like how they've allowed Spock to show some emotions and reinforce that he is indeed half/human. TOS and movies seemed to forget this fact.
oh okay cool.. yeah I liked those things too, and I love the Kirk-Spock relationship that shouldn't work but does.

__________________
"1983: I was 14 years old and I still have a nanny.. that was weird!"

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
mkilban2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #119
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 23,645
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Saw it for a 2nd time tonight, still loved it, had a few more problems with it but still think its amazing and at the very least it matches the 1st movie. Both movies in this new series so far have been amazing to me.

__________________
2014 movie ratings out of 10:

1)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(2)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(3)The Lego Movie-7.5(4)Robocop-7.5(5)300:Rise Of An Empire-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #120
Chris B
Side-Kick
 
Chris B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,243
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
was Benecio del Toro originally up for that role of Khan? He would have been cool to see, I've always liked him.
Yep. He was initially cast before the contract negotiations fell through. After which, Abrams looked at a few other Hispanic actors before settling on Cumberbatch.

__________________
"Is it fear or courage that compels you, fleshling?"
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #121
Dugath
Side-Kick
 
Dugath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 824
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

"Seems like kind of a dick move.

Well, it’s not very clear, but ostensibly they’ve stolen the scroll to get chased, in order to draw the aliens away from a volcano that’s about to explode.

Okay, that seems reasonable.

Except that 1) when the volcano erupts, it’s going to kill everybody on the planet, so it hardly matters where they are, and 2) Spock is getting dropped down into the volcano to set off a cold fusion bomb."

I actually believe the reason they got the "aliens" to chase them so it would lessen the chance of the shuttle being seen.

Dugath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #122
Cannikin
Side-Kick
 
Cannikin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 372
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blksuperman2 View Post
I do like how they've allowed Spock to show some emotions and reinforce that he is indeed half/human. TOS and movies seemed to forget this fact.
All Vulcans have emotions. It's their philosophy and education that teaches them to control them. NewSpock has apparently chosen to reject his upbringing. Nimoy Spock showed emotions from time to time when he would lose control of his Vulcan teachings due to toxins or Pon Far.

Nimoy Spock's entire 40+ year story arc has had to do with his acceptance of emotions and using them to add humanity to his logic. But regardless of whether he feels them, it is inappropriate for a Vulcan to show them. It would be the equivalent of one of us acting like a soccer hooligan at work. It would be an inappropriate, out of control display. Even after he decided logic did not have all of his answers in the first film, he continues to be the same controlled Spock on the outside. When Spock takes his mother's advice in Voyage Home and allows his feelings to surface, he still maintains his control over them.

NuSpock on the other hand, has been screaming, being cocky and smirking for two films. I hope they tone it down a bit. So far, he's had more emotional range than any other member of the cast when he should be showing the least. It was dramatic for NimoySpock to have an outburst when you're used to seeing him in control, but Quinto's emotions aren't dramatic because they've been out of control since his first scene.

Classic Spock outbursts...plus 2009 Spock
http://www.startrek.com/article/one-...pocks-emotions

__________________
Whatever! Just don't tell anyone I'm Batman, or I'll kill you with my superpowers.
Cannikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:15 AM   #123
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade
 
Axl Van Sixx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,542
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Did anybody else have the big plot twist involving Cumberbatch's character spoiled for them before they saw the movie? If so, how did it affect your enjoyment? I had the twist spoiled for me by an inconsiderate poster in the Superman forum, and I was amazed that he didn't suffer any infractions for that and everybody just yawned (I guess they'd already seen the movie, so who cares, right?).

In the end that didn't even matter, because I had it further telegraphed for me by some idiot in the comments section at another website and finally from a local movie reviewer in my town, who actually gave away the twist in his crappy three-paragraph review immediately after raving about how much this movie will keep you guessing.

For some reason, it seemed to be impossible for half the people who saw this movie to talk about it without dropping that massive spoiler. Ultimately, it was a valuable lesson for me in not reading forums or comments sections on the net in the days immediately after a new movie has come out. I had thought common courtesy would prevent people from throwing around spoilers like that without any warning, but I was wrong. Rest assured, I will not be in those forums from now until after I've watched Man of Steel.

Rant over. In the end, I'm pleased to say that in the end, it didn't affect my enjoyment of the movie THAT much. Yes, it would have been so much better if I had actually had that moment of surprise when Harrison reveals his true identity, as the friends who I saw the movie with did. But luckily, Abrams kept the plot unpredictable for the rest of the duration and I was never quite sure what was going to happen next.

As undeniably entertaining as the film was, I do wonder if it was perhaps a bit homage-heavy. While I appreciated the regular references to the original, like hints at Sulu's potential as a captain, I do think that their incorporation into the main plot may have been a bit excessive. I know Abrams is trying to balance new ideas with the classic elements fans want and expect, but at times I felt that constantly evoking the familiar - particularly in the film's last act - may have worked against the film standing on its own two feet, creatively speaking.

Still, great performances, dialogue, special effects, action, and Cumberbatch makes for a much more intriguing and formidable villain than Eric Bana. I would definitely say this movie was at least as entertaining as the first one, if not more.

__________________
"Without revolutionary theory there can be no revolutionary movement." - V.I. Lenin

"Socialism needs democracy like the human body needs oxygen." - Leon Trotsky

Proud supporter of the International Marxist Tendency.

Last edited by Axl Van Sixx; 05-25-2013 at 04:22 AM.
Axl Van Sixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:44 AM   #124
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 4,455
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
This is a pretty damn entertaining read...

http://io9.com/star-trek-into-darkne...-faq-508927844
Pretty entertaining. But this could be done to almost any movie. Specifically any remake of any movie.

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #125
hunteri
Newbie First Class
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 26
Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
This is a pretty damn entertaining read...

http://io9.com/star-trek-into-darkne...-faq-508927844

I have to agree to most of this article. I am a trek fan. As a movie this was a 8/10 but as a trek movie this was 4/10. It had the characters from trek but no the soul. I was really hoping for something fresh and original, especially since they started there own timeline (and made a big deal about it). It just felt like a bad remake to me with a lot of illogical plot points (
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Khan's super blood, cold fusion, 72 frozen bodies and 72 torpedoes (didn't anybody notice all the bodies where missing and now there are exactly 72 torpedoes).


I don't know...i really wanted to love this movie but i cant. Sorry for the mini rant.

hunteri is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.