The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #301
Tobias
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
If these films make the kind of money that makes that many movies possible, it changes everything.
Talk to Bale.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #302
TheNextNolan22
A Man Called Sting

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickleweasel View Post
Says who? You?
Says 'Murica.

Stop all this positive thinking. Only negativity is allowed in here.
When it comes to Superman.....Make mine CAVILL
Dats dat.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #303
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
Adjusted for inflated ticket prices 500 million is about what SR did WW. That would be a failure IMO in WB's eyes. I'm not especially optimistic, though compared to Sabelli I look like an optimist, and I think it does 50 million or more than the 500 million SR made. Again, adjusted for ticket prices.
If they look at it like Begins and it is quality, it should be fine.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #304
Mikelus
Islander

Is someone whining about the public not caring? Twitter says otherwise:

Quote:
If Warner Bros. is hoping for 2013's Man of Steel to carry the torch left behind by Chris Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, they're off to the right start.

Early last week, the studio debuted the first full trailer online (second overall when counting the summer's shorter teaser trailer) and it immediately made waves throughout the Internet. In fact, within 24 hours the film was tracking as highly as The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - during the middle of its release week - on our daily Twitter tracking.

Man of Steel yielded over 43,000 tweets on Tuesday, December 11 with an excellent 17:1 positive-to-negative comment ratio. The tweet count represented a 10,674 percent increase in Twitter activity from the day before.

Man of Steel's Twitter activity was also near identical to that of The Dark Knight Rises when its first full trailer debuted online almost exactly one year ago. The Batman finale tallied 41,629 tweets on December 19, 2011, a 997 percent jump from the day before.

Another comparison of note: Marvel's The Avengers debuted its second trailer on February 29 of this year, generating 37,021 tweets on that day and representing an 1,161 percent increase in activity from the day before.

In short: so far, thanks to the large number of online fans and expanded interest that director Zack Snyder and producer Christopher Nolan bring to the franchise reboot, Warner Bros. and DC Comics are definitely hitting the right notes when it comes to the first stage of marketing for this highly anticipated summer tent pole.

http://www.boxoffice.com/articles/20...q=man+of+steel
And that was last year, now there's more promotion and some are still whining about... nothing really.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #305
Sharkboy
Hallelujah Pilgrim

Quote:
Adjusted for inflated ticket prices 500 million is about what SR did WW. That would be a failure IMO in WB's eyes.
600 WW is what they want, i think at the moment in time if 500 feels like the minimum they could get if they released this movie right now, it's pretty damn good.

Or it could hit a billion....and be a really crappy film, and we are stuck with a terrible franchise. who knows?

The Wind Rises - 9/10 Godzilla - 9/10 X-Men: Days of Future Past - 9/10 Edge of Tomorrow - 8/10 22 Jump Street 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 2 - 8.5/10 Transformers: Age of Extinction - 7.5/10 Calvary - 9.5/10
Old 05-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #306
kendalag
Side-Kick

Why is everybody here suddenly acting all down about the prospects for this film? It's like you let one person come here and say a few things and suddenly we have a bunch of people feeling like the world is crashing in terms of box office.

The tv spots & trailers are getting insane viewing from people, we've had spots all over the NBA playoffs, it's tracking from two theater chain services at 125 million opening weekend, by far the biggest # for the rest of the summer, and we have some people wondering if it will make more than Superman Returns all of a sudden.

Now if the film sucks, sure I suppose it could collapse, but come on.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #307
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Talk to Bale.
Bale is out because Nolan is out. That is a completely different situation. If Nolan came up to Bale, told him we are doing another Batman or wanted to direct him in a JL film, he'd do it in a second imo.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #308
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I'm still hoping the film has some time to show or even mention on how Clark has saved people from domestic (earth bound) violence as well and that his heroics weren't just limited to natural disasters and alien invaders.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #309
Tobias
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
If they look at it like Begins and it is quality, it should be fine.
Matching SR's total only - that won't cut it IMO. This film apparently has to reach 600 million to get a sequel. That is the word out there.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #310
STARMAN
Side-Kick

I feel somewhat confident MOS will have good domestic totals. I think it's foreign box office is the real wild card. If you look at AMS it made 262 domestic. But it racked in 490 foreign.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #311
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Matching SR's total only - that won't cut it IMO. This film apparently has to reach 600 million to get a sequel. That is the word out there.
Indeed; if people take away the costs that SR was tallied with from the previous failed attempts, then I think SR only had a production budget of about 204 million whereas MOS is speculated on having a budget of 225 million and considering that Warner Bros. weren't happy with a 391 million result for the box office earnings, with one of the representatives having been supposedly quoted on saying that they thought it should have at least made 500 million worldwide, there is some pressure on MOS on where it needs to reach when it comes to their profits.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #312
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Then it shouldn't be a problem, if this film is everything we hope it will be, it will make that easily.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #313
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
That 600mil number is made up by you and zealots who believe that the only films to get sequels have to make 700-800mil worldwide.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #314
Tobias
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendalag View Post
Why is everybody here suddenly acting all down about the prospects for this film? It's like you let one person come here and say a few things and suddenly we have a bunch of people feeling like the world is crashing in terms of box office.

The tv spots & trailers are getting insane viewing from people, we've had spots all over the NBA playoffs, it's tracking from two theater chain services at 125 million opening weekend, by far the biggest # for the rest of the summer, and we have some people wondering if it will make more than Superman Returns all of a sudden.

Now if the film sucks, sure I suppose it could collapse, but come on.
I'm a pessimist, though not compared to Sabelli, and even I disagree with him the film will fail. That would mean making 500 million or less. MOS is going to do better than that. I'm just not too sure it can make 600 million. I got my hopes up with SR and got burned and won't do that again.

Still, it won't be a failure.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #315
Reel
Side-Kick

It will make at least $800 million everybody chill

Old 05-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #316
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post
You do know they ran one during Supernatural, right? I don't know how Arrow's doing (I don't watch it and really don't have much interest in it because the last couple minutes I keep catching before Supernatural are just painful) but Supernatural is a longer running show with, I'm guessing, a larger viewership than a first season superhero soap opera.

Also, we are still a month away from the movie's release. They are clearly ramping up the promotion. Just relax.
You are probably right.
I still wish they had a TV Spot for both though.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #317
Reel
Side-Kick

Iron Man 3 only made a billion because of word of mouth and that is a terrible film. 6.5/7 out of 10. Man of Steel is a higher class of film 9/9.5 out of 10. Word of mouth is going to be more, coupled with IMAX, 3D, IMAX 3D, 2D options to see the film, we're talking MASSIVE numbers. Chill

Old 05-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #318
Tobias
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Indeed; if people take away the costs that SR was tallied with from the previous failed attempts, then I think SR only had a production budget of about 204 million whereas MOS is speculated on having a budget of 225 million and considering that Warner Bros. weren't happy with a 391 million result for the box office earnings, with one of the representatives having been supposedly quoted on saying that they thought it should have at least made 500 million worldwide, there is some pressure on MOS on where it needs to reach when it comes to their profits.
Yes, that was the word re: SR. 500 million expected. It didn't get there and so MOS has to have a significantly higher bar. Whatever it is though the 00 figure is out there.

Not sure MOS cost 225 million to make. I've read around 200 million. Not sure SR cost 204 million to make. Rumors were it was much higher. We'll never know for sure in either case.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #319
TheNextNolan22
A Man Called Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel View Post
Iron Man 3 only made a billion because of word of mouth and that is a terrible film. 6.5/7 out of 10. Man of Steel is a higher class of film 9/9.5 out of 10. Word of mouth is going to be more, coupled with IMAX, 3D, IMAX 3D, 2D options to see the film, we're talking MASSIVE numbers. Chill
Didn't know that score meant a terrible film? That's more of a decent/good movie.

Stop all this positive thinking. Only negativity is allowed in here.
When it comes to Superman.....Make mine CAVILL
Dats dat.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #320
ThreadPool
Internet Narcissist

Let's not get hyperbolic, Reel. We haven't seen the movie yet...

COME SAY HELLO
SZA
Julia
Old 05-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #321
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
You saw MoS!!!?

Old 05-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #322
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Hello, you must be from the future. Do we have flying cars yet?

Old 05-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #323
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Iron Man 3 is a terrible film to you Reel. Opinions are like A-holes and all that jazz. Just like Transformers is terrible to me but people enjoy it, you should accept that somebody is enjoying Iron Man 3.

And none of us knows what MOS is going to make, we are just making predictions. One thing is forsure it is not going to make less than 200mil domestically and something similar internationally.

I think the movie has 435mil in the bag already. I predicted 600ish mil so I'll wait and see how that turns out.

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 05-16-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #324
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
It won't be a dud. it won't make iron Man money but it will be successful. Enough to fund a sequel.
Man of Steel will likely make Iron Man 1 money. I'd be satisfied if it makes more than that.

Making more than Iron Man 3 money is unlikely. Iron Man 3 is coming out after the successful Avengers' film, is the 3rd film of its series, and has good word of mouth.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #325
Kryptonian Titan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
That 600mil number is made up by you and zealots who believe that the only films to get sequels have to make 700-800mil worldwide.
Exactly.

Closed Thread