The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #951
TheNextNolan22
Oh Hi There Mistah J!

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sentinel View Post
Just some random musings. Will post this in the "GIRL OF STEEL" Thread as well.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
It's possible Kara could've gone into one of the nutrient cryo-sleep pods as the ship crashed. It'd basically serve the same function as an airbag, only it'd have to be deflated (read "deactivated") from the inside.

Plus, given that the pods seem to preserve the people inside, she'll retain her age. The question is why would the Jor-El AI (yes, I'm pro-Jor-El dying, sue me ) not reveal Kara's presence on the ship?

We obviously know that, since this ship IS the Fortress of Solitude that it left Krypton AT LEAST 5-7 years before it's destruction. Therefore Jor-El and Lara must have stayed behind after launching Kal-El into space.

Maybe Jor-El followed the Codex signature of Kara's explorer ship to the Sol system (by the way, how would the Kryptonians know that our system would be called the "Sol system"? Were they already aware of human life on Earth and simply adopted the name for the sake of convenience?) so that's how he knew to send Kal-El along that trajectory?
This has been bugging me too.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #952
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Prequel comic is incredibly interesting; and good too.

I wonder where Kara and Dev-Em are in modern day earth? Dead? Hiding among people? Cryo sleeping? Who was that person walking out of the ship?

Like Clark would have said; so many questions...

Old 05-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #953
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
amen to that.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #954
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrishAvenger View Post
Chances of a new spot tonight?
We might get one with the Knicks game tonight but I expect a new one tomorrow with the Grizzlies and Spurs.

~SHH SIX~
Old 05-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #955
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Not too impressed with the comic. All the Kryptonians basically sound like us using expressions like 'sweet dreams' and 'eye for an eye'. Like that's common writing 101 not to do silly stuff like that. I blame Geoff Johns.

So Kara's ship is the one that lands on Earth. It isn't shown what happens to her but she's in the pilot seat when they crash land. Earth was not it's original destination. But somehow Jor-El must learn that it landed on Earth because he sent Kal-El there with the key to find and unlock it. This is way too confusing. And I'm not really sure how 'canon' we're to believe it is. I mean I know Goyer is credited as a writer but as far as I'm concerned, until it is explicit on film it is not canon.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #956
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Was Superman smilling while flying during that Wal Mart footage?

Old 05-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #957
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

It's obviously left as a mystery for a reason. And the comic is a very clear canon-esque prequel as it directly ties in to things that will happen and appear in Man of Steel. I love that last page.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #958
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Yep. Im guessing he's having fun with his powers.

~SHH SIX~
Old 05-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #959
TheNextNolan22
Oh Hi There Mistah J!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
That's what I thought too. Then someone brought it up that he's looks like a kid in a candy store when he's flying in that shot. I guess that'll make the people who say "he's so brooding in the suit" shut up.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #960
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Not too impressed with the comic. All the Kryptonians basically sound like us using expressions like 'sweet dreams' and 'eye for an eye'. Like that's common writing 101 not to do silly stuff like that. I blame Geoff Johns.

So Kara's ship is the one that lands on Earth. It isn't shown what happens to her but she's in the pilot seat when they crash land. Earth was not it's original destination. But somehow Jor-El must learn that it landed on Earth because he sent Kal-El there with the key to find and unlock it. This is way too confusing. And I'm not really sure how 'canon' we're to believe it is. I mean I know Goyer is credited as a writer but as far as I'm concerned, until it is explicit on film it is not canon.
Not that wordings like that bothers me personally (I see the Kryptonian dialogue as translated to us with idioms and such we recognize even though the Kryptonian grammar and such probably would be way different), but note that while the story is from Goyer, Snyder and Johns, they are not the ones doing the actual scripting to the story.

And blaming Johns for bad writing? Johns is great imo.

Last edited by 747; 05-18-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #961
Kane52630
Bio-Digtial Jazz, Man.

Superman...smiling?

Where's all of those people complaining about his lack of enjoyment now?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 05-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #962
Kane52630
Bio-Digtial Jazz, Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naite22 View Post
Seriously. I think i'm better off standing my ground on this one, and not take it back... Nope, I ain't joking. Don't know this dude. Why should I be joking? Isn't he openly and directly dizzing MOS and Henry? What am I missing?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 05-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #963
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sentinel View Post
Just some random musings. Will post this in the "GIRL OF STEEL" Thread as well.

It's possible Kara could've gone into one of the nutrient cryo-sleep pods as the ship crashed. It'd basically serve the same function as an airbag, only it'd have to be deflated (read "deactivated") from the inside.

Plus, given that the pods seem to preserve the people inside, she'll retain her age. The question is why would the Jor-El AI (yes, I'm pro-Jor-El dying, sue me ) not reveal Kara's presence on the ship?

We obviously know that, since this ship IS the Fortress of Solitude that it left Krypton AT LEAST 5-7 years before it's destruction. Therefore Jor-El and Lara must have stayed behind after launching Kal-El into space.

Maybe Jor-El followed the Codex signature of Kara's explorer ship to the Sol system (by the way, how would the Kryptonians know that our system would be called the "Sol system"? Were they already aware of human life on Earth and simply adopted the name for the sake of convenience?) so that's how he knew to send Kal-El along that trajectory?
Looking forward to reading the comic. I'm not entirely sure of the context, but would Jor-El know that Kara was in that ship? Or that someone even survived?

Old 05-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #964
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
Yep. Im guessing he's having fun with his powers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
That's what I thought too. Then someone brought it up that he's looks like a kid in a candy store when he's flying in that shot. I guess that'll make the people who say "he's so brooding in the suit" shut up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Superman...smiling?

Where's all of those people complaining about his lack of enjoyment now?
I really do hope this makes the complainers wait to see the actual film before complaining that he is acting like Batman. Duh, of course he is lonely and sad at first. He's different from the other kids and knows it and he finds out he is an alien from another goddamn planet confirming just how different he is. That makes him lonely and yes a little brooding until he finds out what to do with his life, finds his destiny. It's called character developement people.

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 05-18-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #965
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Berg View Post
Ah, okay. Thanks. Well, if she's on Earth already then it would be nice if she went and lived with the eskimos/Inuit or something.

Could be the case.
Yeah so kara lived on Earth thousands of years ago.

I'm not buying this. I feel like it's just a Easter-eggery (Kara, Thanagarians) type prequel that provides what could work as backstory for the scout ship on Earth and not clash with the narrative of MOS. The movie is surely not going to go into any of this however. We will just see the ship crash land in the arctic.

I consider it about as canon as all the Star Wars novels that have been released and continued the story of Luke, Leia and Han and whatever. Watch how Episode 7 is going to completely disregard all of them.

If they were to to go about bringing in Kara into the sequels which I very much doubt, they could use this as a base, but through the scripting process of different people giving it a pass and rewrites, plus casting influencing the direction they go in, it will no doubt be very different.

I stand that it's just a fun easter egg type 'prequel' that Goyer plotted that fills some blank spot of the movie. But I don't consider it canon.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #966
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ WAAH! It's TOO MUCH LIKE BATMAN BECAUSE CLARK IS FISHING and the colors are bleak!

*Haterz, you kind of look STOOPID.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #967
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Berg View Post
So Kal-El is not the first Kryptonian/alien on Earth?
Well, we've kind of known that for a while with the scout ship being the FOS and there being sleep pods on it. Now we just know who was in the scout ship (Kara and Dev-em). We also know that Dev-em has been cast in the movie, so either he survives the crash and lives on earth, or he's in flash back scens on Krypton.

Edit: Never mind, didn't see the rest of the discussion. This has been covered.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #968
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah so kara lived on Earth thousands of years ago.

I'm not buying this. I feel like it's just a Easter-eggery (Kara, Thanagarians) type prequel that provides what could work as backstory for the scout ship on Earth and not clash with the narrative of MOS. The movie is surely not going to go into any of this however. We will just see the ship crash land in the arctic.

I consider it about as canon as all the Star Wars novels that have been released and continued the story of Luke, Leia and Han and whatever. Watch how Episode 7 is going to completely disregard all of them.

If they were to to go about bringing in Kara into the sequels which I very much doubt, they could use this as a base, but through the scripting process of different people giving it a pass and rewrites, plus casting influencing the direction they go in, it will no doubt be very different.

I stand that it's just a fun easter egg type 'prequel' that Goyer plotted that fills some blank spot of the movie. But I don't consider it canon.
Yeah, I was just saying in the Supergirl thread it could very well just tie-in in the comics and they don't have to deal with Supergirl at all in MOS, unless they want to in the future.

I am not entirely sure of the story in the comics as I have yet to read it, but it's not thousands of years ago that it landed is it?

Old 05-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #969
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

I think Kara is hidden somewhere in cryo sleep, maybe even buried. Or maybe she took some kind of escape pod and is drifting in space?

We also know Dev-Em will be in the movie. Played by this guy.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #970
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Regarding the use of "Sol" in reference to our solar system, let's have a little fun and go through the process of reverse-Kryptonian linguistics, shall we? I'll also post this in my "Kryptonian Thread" for the sake of convenience.

I'll use my translation of the Kryptonian text from DSRW

as a template. Bear in mind this is ALL HYPOTHETICAL, based on conjectures made from Kryptonian names (family, personal, and common nouns i.e. "H'Raka") as well as my own imaginative philological attempts at a reverse transliteration.

So, using the phrase Hxh vurk'tā syktā edeag (my interpretation of the "You are not alone" text) coupled with H'Raka, Kelex, Kelor, Dev-Em, Zor, Jor, Elsi, Dar-Enx, Syra Ten-Ar, Rao, etc., I can infer some patterns amid the apparent "chaos", and assuming that the Kryptonians did indeed know of human life on Earth and (presumably) intercepted one or both of the Voyager "golden phonographs", I can safely assume that their variant of "Sol" being phonologically similar wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

However, since I never assume that it isn't "that simple," and since Kryptonian is a language far more ancient and homogenous than any human language, and for the sake of adding a little "flavor", let's assume that their approximation of "Sol" would be Xha, with a pronunciation of "K'shay-OH".

EDIT: I arrived at the final form Xha, based on Rao (which I assume will be pronounced "ROW" in the film)..I assume the -ao phoneme as being Kr. "star"

Last edited by Dark Sentinel; 05-18-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #971
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
Prequel comic is incredibly interesting; and good too.

I wonder where Kara and Dev-Em are in modern day earth? Dead? Hiding among people? Cryo sleeping? Who was that person walking out of the ship?

Like Clark would have said; so many questions...
If they crash landed on Earth, how COULD they be dead? They'd be superhuman at that point. Unless one killed the other somehow.

Also, for those that can't see the comic. It actually shows someone opening the door an leaving the scout ship after it crash lands, so YES there is a Kryptonian on earth.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #972
Marvin
Side-Kick

WB sure does seem interested in these NBA sports fans.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #973
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
Not that wordings like that bothers me personally (I see the Kryptonian dialogue as translated to us with idioms and such we recognize even though the Kryptonian grammar and such probably would be way different), but note that while the story is from Goyer, Snyder and Johns, they are not the ones doing the actual scripting to the story.

And blaming Johns for bad writing? Johns is great imo.
We'll have to agree to disagree on Johns. It astonishes me that he can be writing the Shazam back-up strip on Justice League which is fairly good, and yet be writing the main story and Justice League of America which is absolute dreck. Nothing he's done has been excellent though. Birthright is far stronger than Secret Origins. Morrison and Waid are just in another league, and yet Johns gets so much more exposure and power in the company.

As for the Kryptonian dialogue, yeah I see what you're saying, but I don't see why a writer wouldn't at least try come up with a new way that they would interact, instead of just using Earthlike expressions. Morrison did it excellently in Action Comics. They all spoke like a completely different society that is very analytical and scientifically informed.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #974
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
WB sure does seem interested in these NBA sports fans.
It's a good audience to go after. I'm a bit of an NBA fan myself. I'm rooting on the Heat.

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #975
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree on Johns. It astonishes me that he can be writing the Shazam back-up strip on Justice League which is fairly good, and yet be writing the main story and Justice League of America which is absolute dreck. Nothing he's done has been excellent though. Birthright is far stronger than Secret Origins. Morrison and Waid are just in another league, and yet Johns gets so much more exposure and power in the company.
I've had this (drunken) debate about Johns with a friend. Johns is very commercial and he has been criticised as not having written something as memorable as "Birthright" or Morrison's. But his more commercial style is probably why he does have more power in the company.

Closed Thread