Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #26
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
I find funny the comments from fans who say: 'the general audience lost interest in the original cast'

yeah, because if Fox and Singer did another movie with Wolverine, Cyclops, Storm, Rogue, Iceman, Kitty, Colossus, Angel, Nightcrawler and Gambit, with awesome effects and action sequences, the general audience would say: 'this looks boring, I wont watch'

Especially one with some proper powers from Rogue, Iceman & Colossus with 2017-quality-visual effects!

Old 05-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #27
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
I find funny the comments from fans who say: 'the general audience lost interest in the original cast'

yeah, because if Fox and Singer did another movie with Wolverine, Cyclops, Storm, Rogue, Iceman, Kitty, Colossus, Angel, Nightcrawler and Gambit, with awesome effects and action sequences, the general audience would say: 'this looks boring, I wont watch'

i heard many say they gave up on the Xmen films after X3 and its a reason why Origins and FC didn't do that great

i'm thinking the formular of the films became dull for many people, as it did feel like FOX were playing it safe to much

and general audiences aint all fans of the comics, they just know pretty much what the films tell them, you may not like to think that but its true, its why wolverine seems to be the top dog because its what we have been shown

you could say FC changed that and gave us something different, but sadly many didn't bother to see it untill it came out on dvd

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 05-16-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #28
DarknessOfDeath
We're badasses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
i heard many say they gave up on the Xmen films after X3 and its a reason why Origins and FC didn't do that great

i'm thinking the formular of the films became dull for many people, as it did feel like FOX were playing it safe to much

and general audiences aint all fans of the comics, they just know pretty much what the films tell them, you may not like to think that but its true, its why wolverine seems to be the top dog because its what we have been shown

you could say FC changed that and gave us something different, but sadly many didn't bother to see it untill it came out on dvd
I was one of those ppl who gave up on X-Men, thinking after what Fox did to X3, was it. I want to see the old cast back and they deserve a second a chance to ignite the flame once again. With DOFP, I am hopeful cause of Singer's return and I hope he gives us plenty of surprises.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #29
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post
That would be a first. I've never seen an action-packed movie which is also cerebral. If Singer can achieve it, kudos to him.

The Avengers, like the majority of CBM, meant nothing to me in terms of character development. I've never cared much about those characters even in their solo movies, and The Avengers didn't change this; I still don't care. It was completely different with X-Men - I didn't know anything about the X-Men before I saw the first film and by the end I was emotionally drawn to the mutants. This is the one thing I care about when I think about the X-Men, much more than great CGI and 3D.

But since James McAvoy seemed to be quite enthusiastic about the script, and he's an actor invested in the emotional development of characters, it gave me some hope that at least Charles and some other characters will a have good, emotional character arcs, and it won't be just a CGI fest like The Avengers.
That's crucially important sure but to me the action is very important as well. I have between 600 - 800 X-comics to read for great X-Men stories which don't face the restrictions that a film does (actually not all of them are great lol). Seeing them work on screen together using all their powers co-operatively, even as a mere visual effects tech demo rather than a film would be something I could rewatch tonnes of times!

But yeah, of course everyone wants the full package with some real emotional involvement with the characters and a memorable story.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #30
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Especially one with some proper powers from Rogue, Iceman & Colossus with 2017-quality-visual effects!
E X A C T L Y.

and just because X3 left a bad taste on many fans and some general viewers, it doesnt mean it will happen again with DOFP, specially if the apocalyptic timeline and the action sequences are awesome this time.

This sequel will change many things, regarding general public's vission of this franchise.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #31
Endeavor
Que bolŠ con el timbeque?

Quote:
I did... and I used to be a huge X-Men fan before X3.
I only saw Wolverine Origins in the theater because someone else paid for the ticket.
First Class I saw when it aired on tv, and I'm glad I did, because both movies were just okay for me, although FC was admittedly better.

I'm willing to give DOFP a chance, but I'm not going get my hopes up and expect the best CB movie of all times. If it does pleasantly surprise, great. They'll have won me back.
If however it's another X3 or Wolverine Origins, then that will be the last nail on the X-Men coffin for me.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #32
BenKenobi
Banned User

Quote:

I don't know if this is referring to my post or not, but my point was that the general audience has lost faith in the studios ability to pull off a proper X-Men film and the original cast is going to be needed to get the franchize attention.

I'm sure the film makers want to go ahead with X4/X5, because quite frankly, Origins Wolverine and X3, shoehorned so many cameos that the possible characters to be used in any prequels were extremely limited and they want to fix that. I just personally don't think they're going to keep the original cast playing these same characters.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #33
BenKenobi
Banned User

Quote:

exactly some people here fail to realize this.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #34
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
according to wiki (which may be wrong) but X2 had a budget of $110 million and made $407,711,549 and it says X3 had a budget of $210 million and it made $459,359,555

now thats a big budget, so they could have done all this stuff in X3, i don't think it matters if its 2017 or not

ironic that they went for the cheap colossus approach in X3 and didn't have a bulk of screen time

Old 05-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #35
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
according to wiki which might be wrong but it says X3 had a budget of $210 million and it made $459,359,555

now thats a big budget, so they could have done all this stuff in X3, i don't think it matters if its 2017 or not

ironic that they went for the cheap colossus approach in X3
True, but in 2017 those same effects will be a lot cheaper and there will be more techniques available & they'll be more developed. Avengers looked great and large scale on a similar budget. No reason why DOFP can't do with every character what many of us have been wanting for a long time, but particularly with those 3 characters.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #36
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Quote:
the biggest X-men movie in terms of scale to date most likely

whether its the best X-men film is unknown, and whether it makes more then the avengers is unknown also
I'm expecting DoFP to be the most epic comic film to date, but it won't touch the Avengers at the box office.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #37
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Quote:
True, but in 2017 those same effects will be a lot cheaper and there will be more techniques available & they'll be more developed. Avengers looked great and large scale on a similar budget. No reason why DOFP can't do with every character what many of us have been wanting for a long time, but particularly with those 3 characters.
I would hope the budget for DoFP is at least 250 m.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #38
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
I know about the image inducer...it's stupid! I wish they just went with him looking like a Beast all day every day
Are you writing the checks to the makeup designers??? Didn't think so. I'm sure Nicholas Hoult could also use a breather from the furball costume toward the end of FC.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #39
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post

Given that the last X-Men film earned just $353 million at the box office, the lowest in the series to date, it would be enormously risky for FOX to agree to anything close to that number. There will likely be a budgetary bump from XMFC, maybe to around $180 million, but I don't think FOX can count on enthusiasm for reuniting the original cast will result in huge box office numbers.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #40
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
Don't know if it will be that high but even if it's anywhere close, as long as it's used efficiently unlike X3 then DOFP will look amazing, as good as or better than Avengers.

Last edited by Iceman; 05-16-2013 at 12:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #41
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
Given that the last X-Men film earned just $353 million at the box office, the lowest in the series to date, it would be enormously risky for FOX to agree to anything close to that number. There will likely be a budgetary bump from XMFC, maybe to around $180 million, but I don't think FOX can count on enthusiasm for reuniting the original cast will result in huge box office numbers.
there is a chance they will take a big risk and give it an £200 Milllion budget

playing it safe has never done fox any favours

after all they are gonna have alot of CGI machines and alot of characters powers to do after all, well unless there isn't that many sentinal shots after all

Old 05-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #42
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
great point. And lets not forget about Transformers trilogy, who did a good job designing big robots sequences, so as of today, there is no reason for Fox to not display big robots and superpowers on the same movie with a similar budget to X3.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #43
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Transformers had a budget of $150 million in 2007

so i suppose FOX could make DOFP with $180 million

Old 05-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #44
Angamb
Banned User

definetly.

I wonder what's the budget of Pacific Rim. I doubt its 200m

Old 05-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #45
Mr.M
Side-Kick

The budget will definitely be 200 plus. Since I think this will be the last film with the OT, I think you have to go all-in. Wolverine/Kitty/Blink probably time traveling. I think that leaves you with Bishop, Iceman, Rogue, Collosus, and Storm in the future. Potential for massive Sentinel action with those four, assuming Rogue is powered up. I don't know how she will get those powers though. Does Juggernaught make a cameo appearance?

I think they can tie it all up nicely in this film though. Future Wolverine will die in the past. Magneto thinks twice about pursuing Rogue in the future (ala X-1) thus preventing the chain reaction of the OT. Past Wolverine stays isolated and pursues a separate path. I think the movie will end with the older versions Jean and Cyke as the headmasters of the school along with Storm, evidencing the alternate timeline where the war is prevented.

Last edited by Mr.M; 05-16-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #46
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
I think the movie will end with the older versions Jean and Cyke as the headmasters of the school along with Storm, evidencing the alternate timeline where the war is prevented.
That I could live with.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #47
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Saying people didn't see First Class because none of the original characters or actors were in it is silly and not quite accurate.

The movie came well after two awfully written and critically received sequels (X3, Origins) that all had the original cast or parts of them in it. Heck, it came out five years from the last team movie, people were too spurned, and certainly at the time no one other then real hardcore fans for yearning for a new X-movie.

It had a lot going against it and it did quite well frankly.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #48
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
Quote:
Don't know if it will be that high but even if it's anywhere close, as long as it's used efficiently unlike X3 then DOFP will look amazing, as good as or better than Avengers.
True enough, but X3 had a budget of 210 m and I expect DoFP to dwarf that film in terms of scale. If Fox is truly looking to put a recharge into this series by giving us something that rivals (or exceeds) the Avengers in scale, then don't you think that DoFP needs at least a 220 m budget? I threw out the 250m number because that was the Avengers reported budget. I know Singer can do wonders with less and scale is not just a product of budget, but still, I think they really need to go all out and give this thing a chance to really make an imprint. I'd hate for Bryan to have to pull punches again.

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 05-16-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #49
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

If the action is trying to be on the same scale as The Avengers, it will almost assuredly have a budget on the high 100's if not over 200 million. There's no way you can get stellar effects with a budget any lower than that.

Look at Origins - it had a $150 budget and the effects were terrible.

Last edited by SuperT; 05-16-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #50
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
The budget will definitely be 200 plus. Since I think this will be the last film with the OT, I think you have to go all in
See you would be giving fox to much credit if you believe they will put alot of money into this film because its the last with the OT

Fox care about money, not giving characters a respectful ending