Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #51
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
True enough, but X3 had a budget of 210 m and I expect DoFP to dwarf that film in terms of scale. If Fox is truly looking to put a recharge into this series by giving us something that rivals (or exceeds) the Avengers in scale, then don't you think that DoFP needs at least a 220 m budget? I threw out the 250m number because that was the Avengers reported budget. I know Singer can do wonders with less and scale is not just a product od budget, but still, I think they really need to go all out and give this thing a chance to really make an imprint. I'd hate for Bryan have to pull punches again.
I want them to have as much as possible and if they can get something similar to Avengers it should be enough. It's possible as Avengers certainly wasn't a proven product at the time it was budgeted for.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #52
Angamb
Banned User

Last Pacific Rim trailer:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Will we get huge sequences like those with X-Men vs sentinels?

for some reason, Im having my doubts, specially regarding Singer's old school style.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #53
BMM
Side-Kick

You have to spend money to make money. There is no way the budget for this movie is coming in under $200 million.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #54
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Have you guys even seen the technology they're using in this film?

Old 05-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #55
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland '49 View Post
Have you guys even seen the technology they're using in this film?
Yep, which is why I'm almost sure the budget is well over $200 million. I would be completely shocked if it wasn't.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #56
Double B
Side-Kick

And it's all about what you do with it at the end of the day. X3 had a high budget, but really isn't that impressive visually, bar one or two set pieces.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #57
Angamb
Banned User

yeah

The whole Alcatraz set and battle was that poor that I cant believe the movie had a 200m budget.

It clearly was rushed, since the fights were soo simple and fast. nothing like Nightcrawler intro scene or Wolverine vs Deathstrike

Old 05-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #58
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

It's the part of the budget that goes on visual effects that is relevant to the flashy stuff. If $100m goes on actors for eg then suddenly that visual effects budget doesn't look so impressive. Yeah, Avengers looks a hell of a lot better than X3 for similar money.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #59
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post
And it's all about what you do with it at the end of the day. X3 had a high budget, but really isn't that impressive visually, bar one or two set pieces.
True. The Last Stand had the misfortune of having to resign much of its main cast who, with the success of X2 and departure of Singer, had more leverage during their contract negotiations. Plus, I'm sure a lot of the budget was used just to meet the film's deadline. I'm sure First Class had a similar cost/deadline issue.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #60
Glutton
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
I know about the image inducer...it's stupid! I wish they just went with him looking like a Beast all day every day
Or maybe it's young Xavier messing with Wolverine's head making Hank appear human only to him,who knows?

Old 05-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #61
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
True enough, but X3 had a budget of 210 m and I expect DoFP to dwarf that film in terms of scale. If Fox is truly looking to put a recharge into this series by giving us something that rivals (or exceeds) the Avengers in scale, then don't you think that DoFP needs at least a 220 m budget? I threw out the 250m number because that was the Avengers reported budget. I know Singer can do wonders with less and scale is not just a product of budget, but still, I think they really need to go all out and give this thing a chance to really make an imprint. I'd hate for Bryan to have to pull punches again.
Disney/Marvel could justify an enormous budget for Avengers, regardless of anticipated box office returns, because of the many ancillary revenues available to Disney. Disney can make millions off of the sale of Avengers branded clothing, toys, animation and video games, while FOX can't do the same with the X-Men films.

Though Marvel gave away the store in regards to film rights back in the 90s, they kept control over merchandising (per the pre-Disney sale 10Ks), which is why you couldn't find an X-Men First Class t-shirt back in 2011. Diamond Select has a Logan figure for sale based on "The Wolverine" film, but Disney would have to move Avengers, Star-Wars and Spider-man (Disney purchased Sony's share of the merchandise rights) branded merchandise to make room for X-Men merchandise, and then pay FOX a % of the profit as well. As this is very unlikely to happen, FOX has to be a bit more cautious with its Marvel movie budgets than Marvel Studios.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #62
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
True enough, but X3 had a budget of 210 m and I expect DoFP to dwarf that film in terms of scale.
X3 was also very rushed trying to meet a pre-set deadline. I'd say DOFP will be $200m-ish.

Quote:
I threw out the 250m number because that was the Avengers reported budget.
$220m was the reported budget for TA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
I wonder what's the budget of Pacific Rim. I doubt its 200m
I think it's $185m. GDT is apparently taking a new approach with rendering the CG scenes in an attempt to keep the budget down.

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Old 05-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #63
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
The budget will definitely be 200 plus. Since I think this will be the last film with the OT, I think you have to go all-in. Wolverine/Kitty/Blink probably time traveling. I think that leaves you with Bishop, Iceman, Rogue, Collosus, and Storm in the future. Potential for massive Sentinel action with those four, assuming Rogue is powered up. I don't know how she will get those powers though. Does Juggernaught make a cameo appearance?

I think they can tie it all up nicely is this film though. Future Wolverine will die in the past. Magneto thinks twice about pursuing Rogue in the future (ala X-1) thus preventing the chain reaction of the OT. Past Wolverine stays isolated and pursues a separate path. I think the movie will end with the older versions Jean and Cyke as the headmasters of the school along with Storm, evidencing the alternate timeline where the war is prevented.
I like your thinking; this is a scenario that I could see working. Except for the inclusion of Juggernaut, who isn't part of this production as far as we know. Also, you have kept Bishop in the future. I imagine he would be involved with the time travel or what's the point including him? They might make him a male version of Destiny, able to see the future and sense timelines and temporal portals/anomalies.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #64
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
I think it's $185m. GDT is apparently taking a new approach with rendering the CG scenes in an attempt to keep the budget down.
pretty decent budget then.

thanks for the info. And lets see what Fox and Singer do this time around, now that many studios have made progress regarding big robots and superhero teams.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #65
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I like your thinking; this is a scenario that I could see working. Except for the inclusion of Juggernaut, who isn't part of this production as far as we know. Also, you have kept Bishop in the future. I imagine he would be involved with the time travel or what's the point including him? They might make him a male version of Destiny, able to see the future and sense timelines and temporal portals/anomalies.
Maybe Bishop brings Blink to the attention of the future X-Men? Doesn't really matter to me. At the end of the day, I think you need to wrap up the franchise (in terms of THIS story) while you have whatever is left from the OT. You can do it over multiple films since the FC cast is contracted for another. I still want to see a FC 3 that leads into the recruitment of the main X-Men, and Magneto giving up his cause to rid the world of mankind. Or at least come to some middle ground. That way, the events from TLS are completely undermined.

PS: What good is Rogue going to be without the powers though? You can't just have her randomly picking up Sentinels after the cure subsides, where Paquin is like, "Hey guys, I have super strength now." Juggernaught has to be mentioned.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #66
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Maybe Bishop brings Blink to the attention of the future X-Men? Doesn't really matter to me. At the end of the day, I think you need to wrap up the franchise (in terms of THIS story) while you have whatever is left from the OT. You can do it over multiple films since the FC cast is contracted for another. I still want to see a FC 3 that leads into the recruitment of the main X-Men, and Magneto giving up his cause to rid the world of mankind. Or at least come to some middle ground. That way, the events from TLS are completely undermined.

PS: What good is Rogue going to be without the powers though? You can't just have her randomly picking up Sentinels after the cure subsides, where Paquin is like, "Hey guys, I have super strength now." Juggernaught has to be mentioned.
They might use Warpath instead of Juggernaut.

And how likely is an FC3 if they are keeping many of the returnees from the original trilogy? It's either one or the other surely?

Old 05-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #67
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:

And how likely is an FC3 if they are keeping many of the returnees from the original trilogy? It's either one or the other surely?
I don't want to circle the bushes here. It will come down to box office and what people are more receptive too. Pretty simple. I got my money on FC 3 since that's who they have under contract.

You are probably right about Warpath. Was hoping they'd get Vinnie Jones to do a cameo in the future battles. He could have turned to Rogue and been like, "I'm dying... suck my powers b****."

Old 05-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #68
DarknessOfDeath
Saving the Galaxy...

I like the idea of Jean and Cyke being headmasters at the school once the timeline is changed/altered. WOW... who would have thought that? eh?

And Quill... Your ship is filthy. - Gamora
She has no idea. If I had a blacklight, this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting. - Peter Quill
Old 05-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #69
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
I don't want to circle the bushes here. It will come down to box office and what people are more receptive too. Pretty simple. I got my money on FC 3 since that's who they have under contract.
Possible, I guess, though they would be relying on a film to be led by the remaining First Class crew and with none of the returning OT stars that were in DoFP. I'm not sure a FC3 would be very profitable, without the big names like Jackman, Berry, McKellen, Stewart etc.

Quote:
You are probably right about Warpath. Was hoping they'd get Vinnie Jones to do a cameo in the future battles. He could have turned to Rogue and been like, "I'm dying... suck my powers b****."
Heh... well that might be an option if they want Warpath to stick around for more than one movie.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #70
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:

seeing how this film is linking FC with the origin trilogy who knows, its all in the same continuity

Old 05-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #71
Mako
Galactic Crusier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
Apparently ILM as been using Arnold(GPU) as it's primary renderer, so while it may not cut the budget too much it should give quicker turnarounds.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #72
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Possible, I guess, though they would be relying on a film to be led by the remaining First Class crew and with none of the returning OT stars that were in DoFP. I'm not sure a FC3 would be very profitable, without the big names like Jackman, Berry, McKellen, Stewart etc.

Heh... well that might be an option if they want Warpath to stick around for more than one movie.
I think after DOFP has come and gone and the dust has settled Fox will have to compare FC with the OT. Many feel that Lawrence, Hoult, McAvoy and Fassbender won't be able to carry an X-men movie as well as Jackman, Berry, McKellen and Stewart could and have in the past. I believe X1 outgrosses FC (when adjusted for inflation) and I think that is what Fox will see. The FC are just younger versions of characters already in the OT and they could use their older versions whenever they wanted to but they may be restricted in using certain characters who are too young to appear in the past like kitty, rogue and bobby etc. I personally think that if it becomes a matter of choice and of which would be the most profitable, the team of Jackman, Berry, Mckellen and Stewart have been tried and tested and are capable of holding an X-Men movie. Remember the superhero genre will continue to grow and get bigger and bigger and if the X-Men want to stand a chance against rival superherp teams like the avengers, GoTG and the Justice League then they will need all their big guns. They lie with the OT not with FC

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
Old 05-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #73
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
yeah

The whole Alcatraz set and battle was that poor that I cant believe the movie had a 200m budget.

It clearly was rushed, since the fights were soo simple and fast. nothing like Nightcrawler intro scene or Wolverine vs Deathstrike
Not rushing itself will save money compared to X3. Rushing to meet strict deadlines burns through the cash.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #74
Snikt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
Fox care about money, not giving characters a respectful ending
No offense, but every studio cares about making money; Marvel Studios included.

I know FOX has a so-so track record with the X-Men films, but they've seemed to really turn it around the past two or three years in terms of quality (First Class, Rise of the Planet of the Apes).

Old 05-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #75
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?

How many movies do people really want to see of superheroes stuck in the 60s and 70s?
1 was okay, but a whole series of them? nah
I doubt they're really thinking of going that route.

Closed Thread