The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #76
NanaT
X-Men United!

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 4

^yep totally agreed they need to move forward and introduce new characters set in modern times.

I mean Captain America isn't doing a sequel set in WWII they're moving forward and are setting the movie in modern times.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
Old 05-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #77
Angamb
Banned User

Singer already suggested that on 2011, to go to the 70's and 80's, so it seems like they really had that plan since day one.

The concept is really great, none can deny it.

Its just that some fans want the original cast now, instead of the FC one, with young Scott, Jean, Ororo and co.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #78
NanaT
X-Men United!

the concept works for a stand alone movie not for a whole franchise to be built on it. The novelty of having it set in the past is gone with a sequel and soon all you want is to have a superhero movie set in the present.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #79
Angamb
Banned User

Its a great concept, to see the evolution of the x-men and on different decades, with all the different elements, looks and historical issues of each decade.

Just because some people dont find it interesting doesnt mean it isnt a great concept for a trilogy.

we should leave our prefferences out, when judging certain issues. And a x-men trilogy set in the past is a good idea, wheter we want the original cast back or not.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #80
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?

No I disagree on it being really great.
Just trying to give everything the retro look alone is bound to hit their budget. Not to mention they're limiting what they can do technology-wise to make it believable in relation to the time period of the story AND like others have mentioned, they're limiting the characters they can use.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #81
Angamb
Banned User

well...

when you can have a roster consisting on Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Beast, Havok, Polaris, Banshee, Sunfire and co. ...... its not like you really need more x-men, you know? lol

It could be a great trilogy, because it has potential.

Again, just because you dont find the retro trilogy interesting, it doesnt mean it isnt

Critics and many fans loved FC, so they would love a sequel set in the 70's and another on the 80's, if done by a great director and with a great story, and with Cyclops, Jean and Storm having more focus than on the trilogy.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #82
Double B
Side-Kick

Yes, you can get a trilogy out of it, at most. And lest we forget, that would mean just one more FC film post-DOFP.

But a series of films all set in the 70's/80's? I should bloody hope not.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #83
DarknessOfDeath
Send me an Angel...

I still pay to see where Jean and Scott become headmasters after DOFP. That should be interesting.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #84
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?

I just think it would flop.
Us hardcore fans might be interested, but new ones? Kids?

I can see it now:
Parents- "Hey kids, which superhero movie do you want to go see? The one with the futuristic gadgets and recognizable themes, or the one with 70's flashback that has references to historical events as a bonus?"
Kids- "What's the 70's?"
Parents- "Future superhero it is".

Old 05-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #85
Cherry
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
They might make him a male version of Destiny, able to see the future and sense timelines and temporal portals/anomalies.
Oo, cool idea.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #86
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
I just think it would flop.
Us hardcore fans might be interested, but new ones? Kids?

I can see it now:
Parents- "Hey kids, which superhero movie do you want to go see? The one with the futuristic gadgets and recognizable themes, or the one with 70's flashback that has references to historical events as a bonus?"
Kids- "What's the 70's?"
Parents- "Future superhero it is".
lol and so true!!!

Old 05-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #87
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

the x-men franchise has never really been a big "kids" movie... to be honest.. so i don't think the studio really cares about that. They've never even put out that much x-men movie merchandise compared to more family friendly Spider-man, Superman, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, and Avengers...

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 05-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #88
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
Oo, cool idea.
Thanks. I was just trying to imagine what role he might have in the story. Singer did say that everyone who has been cast has some meaningful part to play. Otherwise, Bishop just has energy absorption... which could be useful in returning the Sentinels' blasts, but it doesn't make him feel vital to the script.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #89
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

The X men films have never made even $500 million at the box office and in many ways X3 didn't make fox much of a profit

But to say kids don't wanna see something set in the 70s, well men in black 3 was a time travel story set mostly in the 60s and i know many kids went to see that film and it made around $700 million which is more then the Xmen films ever made

Just because its a time piece means nothing

Old 05-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #90
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
well...

when you can have a roster consisting on Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Beast, Havok, Polaris, Banshee, Sunfire and co. ...... its not like you really need more x-men, you know? lol

It could be a great trilogy, because it has potential.

Critics and many fans loved FC, so they would love a sequel set in the 70's and another on the 80's, if done by a great director and with a great story, and with Cyclops, Jean and Storm having more focus than on the trilogy.
They've already ditched Havok and Banshee. We probably wouldn't get Sunfire if we just had Sunspot. So your roster wouldn't really happen.

A film in the 80s with Xavier recruiting Cyclops, Jean and Storm would be great for fans and great to see... but I'm not sure it makes that much sense after DoFP. It depends on how things are changed at the end of DoFP but it seems more likely there will be a new timeline in the present day, with the original trilogy stars. I'm not sure how they could incorporate the First Class actors into that unless the characters from both eras end up being thrown together by the timeline changes in DoFP.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #91
Angamb
Banned User

xmaniac, and to other users, Im not saying that I want FC3 after DOFP, hehe, I was just saying that a FC trilogy really had potential, since day one.

I want X4 or X5 next, but that doesnt make me say FC2 and FC3 wouldnt be epic movies and with a pretty decent boxoffice.

If Fox was happy with X1 and X2 numbers, they could get the same with a FC trilogy, specially taking into account how the actors are getting bigger and that the sequels would have even more actors, and they could add a few big names too, along with Scott, Jean, Storm, more 3D.

that is my only point.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #92
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
They've already ditched Havok and Banshee. We probably wouldn't get Sunfire if we just had Sunspot. So your roster wouldn't really happen.

A film in the 80s with Xavier recruiting Cyclops, Jean and Storm would be great for fans and great to see... but I'm not sure it makes that much sense after DoFP. It depends on how things are changed at the end of DoFP but it seems more likely there will be a new timeline in the present day, with the original trilogy stars. I'm not sure how they could incorporate the First Class actors into that unless the characters from both eras end up being thrown together by the timeline changes in DoFP.
If they did do an 80s movie it really would be the first class of X men, judging by the fact it doesn't look like young Xavier will have and X men in DOFP

Maybe the first ever Xmen vs brotherhood

They could foreshadow with sinister in who 20 years later awakens apocalypse

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 05-16-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #93
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Being in a different time period than now wouldn't hinder any sort of X-men storyline. Most of the best X-stories were from their late 70's to 80's comic book run anyhow. I honestly can't say, other than Astonishing when Whedon wrote his run, that there has been any significantly amazing storylines from the past couple of years.

Not to mention, IF DOFP creates a separate timeline between the original trilogy and First Class, they could pretty much get away with doing whatever they wanted too and introduce whoever they wanted to in First Class sequel or sequels.

Last edited by SuperT; 05-16-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #94
Double B
Side-Kick

I still don't see why we can't have a FC3 and an X4 the following year.

Everybody's happy.

Or, they could go totally mad, have some ridiculous timeline smash at the end of this film, and place Fassbender, Lawrence, Hoult, McAvoy, Jackman, Berry, Paquin, Page, Ashmore and Cudmore all in the same timeline in a modern era.

Or not. Just throwing it out there.

*sips wine*

Old 05-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #95
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post
I still don't see why we can't have a FC3 and an X4 the following year.
I think that would be a little overload, not to mention a bit confusing for more casual moviegoers having to keep up with two different timelines from the same franchise? It makes my head hurt and I'm a die hard fan.

Think it has to be one or the other. It depends on what Fox's goal is for the franchise and any other properties or offshoots.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #96
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
I honestly can't say, other than Astonishing when Whedon wrote his run, that there has been any significantly amazing storylines from the past couple of years.
Dark Angel Saga ranks amongst the best imo. Seen many fans and critics say the same about it.

Remender, Bendis and Aaron have gave us some pretty solid modern X stories.

Last edited by def28; 05-16-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #97
Double B
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think that would be a little overload, not to mention a bit confusing for more casual moviegoers having to keep up with two different timelines from the same franchise? It makes my head hurt and I'm a die hard fan.

Think it has to be one or the other. It depends on what Fox's goal is for the franchise and any other properties or offshoots.
I still struggle to see a long-term future in the 80's post-any potential FC3, which is my main concern.

I also remember that comment about wanting to expand the universe and I just feel that relegating the series to a very specific time period does the opposite.

Someone suggested this ages ago, and I really liked it, but it was a FC3, with Sinister, but setting up Apocalypse, who then comes into play in an X4. So the films are tied together, you get to complete an FC trilogy (and not waste the last film on Lawrence/Fassbender/McAvoy/Hoult's contracts) but we also get to see the OT cast again.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #98
Cherry
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think that would be a little overload, not to mention a bit confusing for more casual moviegoers having to keep up with two different timelines from the same franchise?
For the most part I agree, but it wouldn't be two different timelines, I think. Rather, two different time periods in a single, altered timeline. Going back and forth isn't new for Fox, though. We had a modern-day X3, then a Wolverine prequel, then a 60's X-Men, then a modern-day Wolverine, and now a mixed timeline film.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #99
Cherry
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Dark Angel Saga ranks amongst the best imo. I've seen many fans and critics say the same about it as well.
I'm not as familiar with the newer storylines, but I want them to finish out the last (IMO) classic story on film with Age of Apocalypse before tackling any of the newer stuff.

Quote:
Someone suggested this ages ago, and I really liked it, but it was a FC3, with Sinister, but setting up Apocalypse, who then comes into play in an X4. So the films are tied together, you get to complete an FC trilogy (and not waste the last film on Lawrence/Fassbender/McAvoy/Hoult's contracts) but we also get to see the OT cast again.
That would be cool. I also liked what they did in the Wolverine and the X-Men cartoon where DOFP was averted, but it led to Age of Apocalypse. I'd like to see that scenario, which might allow a second crossover film between the two casts, rather than a separate FC3 and X4/5.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #100
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
I still struggle to see a long-term future in the 80's post-any potential FC3, which is my main concern.

I also remember that comment about wanting to expand the universe and I just feel that relegating the series to a very specific time period does the opposite.
There are possible long term issues with both options they have at this time. With First Class, you have the time/era problem, star quality (which is questionable, honestly), and audience reception.

With the original cast, you have longevity questions with how many movies can you conceivably squeeze out of them and if that number is significant enough if they plan on expanding the X-Men universe outside of X-Men, audience interest, as well as where to go with them from here that would make sense.

I certainly wouldn't want to be in Fox's position, they only have themselves to blame, although it definitely would be fun!

Closed Thread