Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #101
def28
Side-Kick

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
I'm not as familiar with the newer storylines, but I want them to finish out the last (IMO) classic story on film with Age of Apocalypse before tackling any of the newer stuff.
If they attempted AOA, and are doing Archangel I would hope they would include elements and character relationships of Dark Angel Saga. Has alot to do with that storyline and is hands down the best Archangel/Betsy stuff you will read. Some sad ****.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #102
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Dark Angel was a good recent storyline, don't know how I forgot that one.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #103
Double B
Side-Kick

Quote:
That would be cool. I also liked what they did in the Wolverine and the X-Men cartoon where DOFP was averted, but it led to Age of Apocalypse. I'd like to see that scenario, which might allow a second crossover film between the two casts, rather than a separate FC3 and X4/5.
I'd like that too. As long as they didn't repeat the 'We need to avert this! Time to time travel!' plot again.

But I do feel Apocalypse is a glaring omission in the movieverse thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
There are possible long term issues with both options they have at this time. With First Class, you have the time/era problem, star quality (which is questionable, honestly), and audience reception.

With the original cast, you have longevity questions with how many movies can you conceivably squeeze out of them and if that number is significant enough if they plan on expanding the X-Men universe outside of X-Men, audience interest, as well as where to go with them from here that would make sense.

I certainly wouldn't want to be in Fox's position, they only have themselves to blame, although it definitely would be fun!
True! On both accounts. Neither are perfect scenarios.

If I were them, I'd try and at least get one more sequel with each (linked with a plot point between the two movies) and then see what they're left with at that point. Rather than putting all their eggs in one basket, so to speak.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #104
Legion
Side-Kick

I have a feeling we will see Apocalypse in this film...

Old 05-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #105
magneto23
Side-Kick

Quote:
There are possible long term issues with both options they have at this time. With First Class, you have the time/era problem, star quality (which is questionable, honestly), and audience reception.

With the original cast, you have longevity questions with how many movies can you conceivably squeeze out of them and if that number is significant enough if they plan on expanding the X-Men universe outside of X-Men, audience interest, as well as where to go with them from here that would make sense.

I certainly wouldn't want to be in Fox's position, they only have themselves to blame, although it definitely would be fun!
I'd argue the cast that has questionable star quality is the originals. Its such an unbalanced cast. EVERYTHING hinges on Jackman. The rest of that cast is has beens or tv stars. FC has hot young rising legit movie stars.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #106
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneto23 View Post
I'd argue the cast that has questionable star quality is the originals. Its such an unbalanced cast. EVERYTHING hinges on Jackman. The rest of that cast is has beens or tv stars. FC has hot young rising legit movie stars.
That's why I put questionable in parenthesis. A lot people have the opinion that the First Class cast doesn't have enough star potential to hold another movie by themselves in comparison to the OT cast.

I personally don't have that opinion but I'm sure it's on the thoughts of Fox execs making the big decisions.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #107
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion View Post
I have a feeling we will see Apocalypse in this film...
I do, too.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #108
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post
Not happy with The Avengers comparison, but then I'm not surprised that it was their main goal with this film.
Its gonna be bigger and better than the Avengers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
I'm expecting DoFP to be the most epic comic film to date, but it won't touch the Avengers at the box office.
Yup! But this movie should at least get $700 million dollars worldwide!

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018

Last edited by psylockolussus; 05-16-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #109
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessOfDeath View Post
Look on twitter and you'll find the majority of fans alike are asking about Jean Grey and Cyclops the most, specifically because they want to see Famke Janssen rise again as the all powerful Phoenix and also see James Marsden be the leader he was always meant to be.
We hear it all the time, though it doesn't its necessary for the story of the film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
i heard many say they gave up on the Xmen films after X3 and its a reason why Origins and FC didn't do that great
They didn't do as great as X3 because they were prequels and featured a brand new cast (except for Hugh). They probably didn't have interest to watch a prequel.

People always blame X3 for the shortcomings of the prequels but thats just not fair. Most prequels don't outgross the main series.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #110
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post
Not happy with The Avengers comparison, but then I'm not surprised that it was their main goal with this film.
Comparisons are kind of stupid but inevitable. Avengers raised the bar and as current King of the Hill everyone wants to top it.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 05-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #111
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
How many movies do people really want to see of superheroes stuck in the 60s and 70s?
1 was okay, but a whole series of them? nah
I doubt they're really thinking of going that route.
Exactly! I don't get why some people here don't get that. Another First Class movie set in the past or the 80s? after that what's next the 90s? I know they might come up with interesting stories like how Cyclops, Storm and Jean Grey became a X-Men, but another prequel movie? Its not gonna make this movie franchise as big as the other movie franchises out there.

They need to move forward to the future.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #112
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
They didn't do as great as X3 because they were prequels and featured a brand new cast (except for Hugh). They probably didn't have interest to watch a prequel.

People always blame X3 for the shortcomings of the prequels but thats just not fair. Most prequels don't outgross the main series.
X3 (and Origins) almost assuredly was one big factor in First Class not being a huge blockbuster (I won't even come close to calling a movie that made close to $353+ million worldwide anywhere close to a failure or letdown). The reason X3 did so well was because it had the good fortune of riding on the backs of two exceptional movies before it, so of course people were coming out in droves to see it.

Unfortunately, with X3 being underwhelming by fans and critics alike then a spin-off right after it being completely panned by critics and fans alike - of course people are going to be skeptical about a new X-Men movie whether it was a prequel or not. There was too much bad blood after the previous two letdowns.

Saying First Class didn't knock it out of the park at the box office because it was a prequel or had a new cast is something I would say is entirely incorrect.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #113
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post
I still don't see why we can't have a FC3 and an X4 the following year.
Because movies are expensive and it might over-saturate the series. Plus its easier for the general audience if they are only following 1 series, not 2 series that 1 is set in the past and 1 is set in the present/future.

Quote:
X3 (and Origins) almost assuredly was one big factor in First Class not being a huge blockbuster (I won't even come close to calling a movie that made close to $353+ million worldwide anywhere close to a failure or letdown). The reason X3 did so well was because it had the good fortune of riding on the backs of two exceptional movies before it, so of course people were coming out in droves to see it.

Unfortunately, with X3 being underwhelming by fans and critics alike then a spin-off right after it being completely panned by critics and fans alike - of course people are going to be skeptical about a new X-Men movie whether it was a prequel or not. There was too much bad blood after the previous two letdowns.

Saying First Class didn't knock it out of the park at the box office because it was a prequel or had a new cast is something I would say is entirely incorrect.
Even if X3 and Wolverine were good movies and got a 80%+ Rotten Tomatoes rating. First Class wouldn't still outgross them. Origins wouldn't still outgross X3. The only prequel films that outgrossed the original series were Star Wars: Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith but if you adjust the ticket prices, the first Star Wars movie is still the most successful Star Wars film. Thats the exact same thing with X-Men, Wolverine outgrossed the X1, but if you adjust the ticket prices, X1 still got more money than Wolverine.

And most of the general audience had no idea about Havok, Banshee and those other mutants that were featured in First Class, they were probably not interested to the movie even if its the best X-Men movie ever.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 05-16-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #114
Rob3880
Side-Kick

For a movie that still ended up grossing a lot of money, First Class really did kinda fly under the radar as far as big time superhero movies go.. But I think it got really good word of mouth, especially once it hit DVD and cable, and is kind of a cult classic now, as much as a big superhero movie can be. I think a lot of the people that didn't want to shell out the dough at the theater were definitely converted after seeing it by some secondary means, cuz the movie is of a very high quality, and you don't see acting like that in too many of these movies. So now DoFP will have a much bigger built in audience right from the get go, but along with that comes much higher expectations, and if they want this new spin on the X-Men to continue, then this one has to deliver. I personally think they need to do one more movie with this cast, make it a trilogy, and then relaunch with Astonishing X-Men, and beg Joss Whedon to direct it. That is, if he isn't signed on with Marvel Films forever. Imagine how awesome that movie would be!

Old 05-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #115
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

The general audience just wasn't familiar with the characters of X-Men: First Class, thats why it didn't do great at the box-office. If that movie featured Wolverine (in a starring role), Storm, Iceman, Rogue, Colossus, the Professor X that people are more familiar with and the Magneto that people are more familar with. It would probably earned more money.

Just imagine what would happen if Marvel Studios released an Avengers: First Class movie featuring Tigra, Ant-Man, Wasp, Hercules, Vision and a younger Nick Fury. It wouldn't be as big as the 1st Avengers movie.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 05-16-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #116
DarknessOfDeath
We're badasses...

With singer back to helm DOFP, there's no doubt in my mind that he'll bring back his A game , which is what he had when he did the first two X-Men films. I have hope but I do have my worries.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #117
Cherry
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Just imagine what would happen if Marvel Studios released an Avengers: First Class movie featuring Tigra, Ant-Man, Wasp, Hercules, Vision and a younger Nick Fury. It wouldn't be as big as the 1st Avengers movie.
That's a pretty good comparison.

Also, I will never understand why people wanted to abandon the OT films and stick with just prequels. I get that X3 was terrible, but wouldn't you guys like closure? And hopefully a chance at redemption for the characters? If FC2 was just a regular sequel, the films as a franchise would still be screwed because it all "ended" with X3. Moving forward like they are gives them the chance to (hopefully) right so many wrongs. And as far as a reboot is concerned, I have committed so many years to this franchise that I wouldn't want them to just abandon it without a proper wrap-up. Had First Class been a complete reboot... that would have felt so wrong.

Last edited by Cherry; 05-16-2013 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Edit: When I say they are moving forward, I mean The Wolverine and DOFP. I realize we don't know for sure what happens next.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #118
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Also, I will never understand why people wanted to abandon the OT films and stick with just prequels.
I feel like a lot of studios and producers like to take a different direction after the 3rd movie in the franchise is released. Whether its moving forward by making a prequel, a TV show, a spin-off movie or just taking a break for a long time. It happens all the time with movie franchises.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #119
batboy99
BTVS

So, I know Emma will not be in this movie, but if there is a sequel to this, would you guys mind seeing her? And as an older character like Singer originally wanted? Played by who?

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!
Old 05-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #120
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I don't want to see an older version of Emma.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #121
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

If I never saw Emma Frost in an X-movie again I'd be fine with that.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #122
batboy99
BTVS

What is wrong with Emma?? Then again, I am biased since she is one of my favorite characters.

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!
Old 05-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #123
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

I wouldn't mind her possibly showing up in a later First Class prequel, older or the same age as Prof X. & Magneto.

They could use her absence from the second movie to show her building her competing school with Xavier, creating her Hellions, or just simply trying to revive the Hellfire Club again.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #124
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I would not mind seeing Emma again, but, to quote Bartleby, I would prefer not to see an older version her.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
Old 05-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #125
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

A cameo of Emma Frost in DOFP would be nice!

Closed Thread