The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Trek > Star Trek Into Darkness

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman
 
Warhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: B.P.R.D.
Posts: 24,372
Default What Were Your DISLIKES?

Go ahead. Discuss.

__________________

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."
 
DKDetective's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,098
Default Re: What Were Your DISLIKES?

Do we need spoiler tags in here?

I'm rather tired so I'm not going to do Cliffs notes without much argument.

Part 1:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

1. Khan being whitewashed.
2. Uhura - I get that they are trying to elevate a female character and I think that is wonderful in terms of the Trek ideals of diversity and equality, but she wasn't given much to do and it just felt like all her importance stemmed from being Spock's girlfriend, which is a major step backward.
3. That J.J. doesn't seem to understand that the warp nacelles are not thrusters/rocket engines. I feel like they have missed a lot of interesting opportunities to depict warp travel in an interesting, unique way.
4. Where was the "epic Chess Match of life and death" that was promised? There wasn't much cat and mouse intellect or strategy to the film's conflicts.
5. The aliens and the weird cyborg guy on the Bridge
6. Klingons and Kronos (so disappointing after how awesome Victor Garber was in the deleted scenes from 09)


To Be Continued...

__________________
Avatar by Kane52630
DKDetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #3
Schlosser85
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Schlosser85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 18,496
Default Re: What Were Your DISLIKES?

Cumberbatch didn't get enough to do.

__________________
Quote:
In the rain the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
...


Two wrongs just make something more wrong.


Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
DorneyDave
Side-Kick
 
DorneyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,317
Default Re: What Were Your DISLIKES?

The fact that it had to end.

DorneyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A world I long to see.
Posts: 22,696
Default Re: What Were Your DISLIKES?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorneyDave View Post
The fact that it had to end.
That was the same problem I had with the first movie as well.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #6
Lighthouse
Fairness, Equality, Bacon
 
Lighthouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: A beach somewhere.
Posts: 10,813
Default Re: What Were Your DISLIKES?

They take the best villain in Star Trek history and squander him in a almost minor role.

__________________
...Or when your hands are cold, you rub them together, you see, that's good, that feels good! There's so many good things! But you're not here - I'm here. I wish you were here. I wish you could talk to me. 'Cause I'm a friend. - Peter Falk (Wings of Desire)
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 4,828
Default Re: What Were Your DISLIKES?

Honestly, I went in not knowing for sure it was Khan. I hadn't read any spoilers and the trailers were ambiguous. I was, quite certain, however that "John Harrison" was a misnomer. And I was leaning toward Gary Mitchell due to appearance and demeanor.

When he said "I am Khan" I feel like he didnt 100% sell it. He's so pale and thin. It was kind of weird coming out of his mouth. But 10 minutes later I was pretty into it. Soon after that I didn't care and enjoyed the rest of the movie thoroughly.

And the only other thing that bothered me was in the first 30 minutes or so Kirk got demoted, Spock reassigned, Kirk promoted, Pike dies, Kirk promoted, Spock reassigned and then Scott quit...

It's like... Why even do all that? The Scotty one ended up making sense... But I could have lived without the rest.

__________________
2014 Cinematic Adventures:
Noah | Captain America: The Winter Soldier | The Amazing Spider-Man 2 | Godzilla | X-Men: Days of Future Past | Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #8
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."
 
DKDetective's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,098
Default Re: What Were Your DISLIKES?

That mess of demotions/promotions was their acknowledgement of the fact that promoting Kirk from cadet to captain was a silly idea last time. As much as I didn't like Kirk's shortcut to the chair, I understood why they did it last time. People don't want to watch a series of movies about Kirk slowly working his way up the ranks. However, by drawing attention to the problem in such a half-hearted way, I feel like they highlighted how absurd it all was.

__________________
Avatar by Kane52630
DKDetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:52 PM   #9
Lighthouse
Fairness, Equality, Bacon
 
Lighthouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: A beach somewhere.
Posts: 10,813
Default Re: What Were Your DISLIKES?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
That mess of demotions/promotions was their acknowledgement of the fact that promoting Kirk from cadet to captain was a silly idea last time. As much as I didn't like Kirk's shortcut to the chair, I understood why they did it last time. People don't want to watch a series of movies about Kirk slowly working his way up the ranks. However, by drawing attention to the problem in such a half-hearted way, I feel like they highlighted how absurd it all was.
It's funny you mention that because that's almost how I feel these movies are; just watching Kirk's origin story. Is it not weird that their 5 year mission is starting in movie 3, which will probably be the last one this cast does?

__________________
...Or when your hands are cold, you rub them together, you see, that's good, that feels good! There's so many good things! But you're not here - I'm here. I wish you were here. I wish you could talk to me. 'Cause I'm a friend. - Peter Falk (Wings of Desire)
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #10
Soapy
It's happening again...
 
Soapy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: What Were Your DISLIKES?

It would be kind of interesting if the next one actually took place over the entirety of the five year mission.

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:53 AM   #11
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 4,828
Default Re: What Were Your DISLIKES?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
That mess of demotions/promotions was their acknowledgement of the fact that promoting Kirk from cadet to captain was a silly idea last time. As much as I didn't like Kirk's shortcut to the chair, I understood why they did it last time. People don't want to watch a series of movies about Kirk slowly working his way up the ranks. However, by drawing attention to the problem in such a half-hearted way, I feel like they highlighted how absurd it all was.
See I didn't think Kirk's promotion in 2009 was that silly. The alternate reality pushed everything up. Kirk became captain, McCoy Chief Medical Officer, Scott Chief Engineer. Sulu was way too young/inexperienced to be helmsman. But they proved themselves against Nero, and Pike gave them his blessing. "Fate" had the crew of the Enterprise start a little earlier. Same with Khan. He was awoken at least 10 years before he should have been. It's not when these milestones happen, its just that they happen. I appreciate the concept.

In my opinion they shouldve just stuck to their guns from 2009 and avoided the mess of demotions/promotions. In fact, Scotty's resignation wouldve had a lot more impact if that were the case.

__________________
2014 Cinematic Adventures:
Noah | Captain America: The Winter Soldier | The Amazing Spider-Man 2 | Godzilla | X-Men: Days of Future Past | Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:11 AM   #12
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."
 
DKDetective's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,098
Default Re: What Were Your DISLIKES?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
See I didn't think Kirk's promotion in 2009 was that silly. The alternate reality pushed everything up. Kirk became captain, McCoy Chief Medical Officer, Scott Chief Engineer. Sulu was way too young/inexperienced to be helmsman. But they proved themselves against Nero, and Pike gave them his blessing. "Fate" had the crew of the Enterprise start a little earlier. Same with Khan. He was awoken at least 10 years before he should have been. It's not when these milestones happen, its just that they happen. I appreciate the concept.

In my opinion they shouldve just stuck to their guns from 2009 and avoided the mess of demotions/promotions. In fact, Scotty's resignation wouldve had a lot more impact if that were the case.
I agree very much that they should have stuck to their guns. As you say, it would have more impact when Kirk's decisions are questioned and when he is finally forced to learn from his mistakes. I just have such a hard time believing that he can go from getting in so much trouble that they are ready to send him back to the Academy and then, within a matter of hours, he is back as Captain. He never earned his second chance. As much as I dislike how quickly and easily the crew comes together, I can understand and appreciate it in terms of movie logic - most people besides hardcore Trekkies like me wouldn't be willing to sit through a series of Hornblower-style tales that methodically examine such a character as Kirk's rise through the ranks and what it takes to make such a hardened leader.

Personally, though I can't stand all of the talk about destiny and fate in Star Trek 09. That is space fantasy sort of thing that belongs in Star Wars. Star Trek has always been a humanist, atheistic franchise (except DS9 to an extent). There are so many episodes revolving around exposing false gods as sham alien entities for a reason.

__________________
Avatar by Kane52630

Last edited by DKDetective; 05-17-2013 at 06:15 AM.
DKDetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #13
VM1138
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 142
Default Re: What Were Your DISLIKES?

Well, let's not forget, he only got to be captain again because Pike was killed and he was basically the only officer left standing other than Marcus. And Marcus used him for his own ends, so it makes sense that Kirk was sent out. I don't have a problem with that aspect.

And I really liked the Scotty sub-plot. I'm glad they gave him something to do in this one.

Also, Pine did a great job. I really saw him grow into the captain's role. By the end of the movie he had become more serious, even his speaking tone had a bit of gravitas to it, and he acted more like a captain. Hopefully by Star Trek 3 he maintains his boyish charm, but carries himself more like Shatner's Kirk. A whimsical glint in his eye, but otherwise not a clown.

VM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #14
Frodo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,297
Default Re: What Were Your DISLIKES?

I think my only quibble would be the whole " now you're Captain now you're not thing" in the opening strecth. It kinda felt like a rehash of Star Trek 09 and ultimately was left by the waste side after Pike dies and he's made Cap again. I can see that the writers were trying to get across that Kirk had'nt really earned the position yet but I didn't feel at least that the whole situation was compelling enough from a non trek fan pov, to really justify Kirk losing the seat. It just seemed like a plot device which they pretty much get rid of quickly.

I think they should have done a stunt that was far more risky ala making waves with the Klingons or something like ,that which would really give pike a reason to demote Kirk and Spock.

That said , from the into of the villan on , I liked it.

Frodo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #15
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman
 
Warhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: B.P.R.D.
Posts: 24,372
Default Re: What Were Your DISLIKES?

Yeah, Kirk was expendable. It makes sense that Admiral Marcus sent him out there as a Captain. He was going to be marooned and killed anyway.

__________________

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #16
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 24,854
Default Re: What Were Your DISLIKES?

The only thing that bothered me was the closeup shot of Harrison in his cell, when he was turned to the camera. Not the best effects.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
DarthSkywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #17
jacobed
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,646
Default Re: What Were Your DISLIKES?

I didn't really like all the copying of other films. I was hoping this would be its own thing and not worry about what fans want or what other movies did. Really failed hard at that. The third act just kind of fell apart for me. But I did still love the movie. Easily the best blockbuster of the year so far

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #18
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun
 
Brain Damage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,861
Default Re: What Were Your DISLIKES?

The dialogue was awful throughout. Good God, the amount of exposition given to us over and over again would make Chris Nolan's head spin.
The villain was majorly underused after a terrific set up.
The finale is the most anti-climatic thing I've seen in years.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Seriously, you don't set up a villain to be so superior both mentally and physically and have him defeated by getting hit in the head hard with a piece of metal.
During the last scene, when everything is wrapping up, I kept thinking Khan was going to show up and the REAL 3rd act would begin. I kept thinking "There's no way they could possibly end now". And it just did. Such a weaksauce ending.

__________________
WHO APPOINTED THE BATMAN?

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #19
Silvermoth
Avenger
 
Silvermoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,367
Default Re: What Were Your DISLIKES?

I think the ending could have been a bit more epic. There was so much buildup, I was really suprised when it ended.

__________________
Mutant and proud.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #20
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney
 
RachelDawes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In a courtroom or tied up in a warehouse
Posts: 8,665
Default Re: What Were Your DISLIKES?

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
While STID was a good movie, it wasn't great and didn't really represent a step up from the first movie.

Carol Marcus was totally useless. I assumed she was on the ship just to be killed and was shocked when she not only lived but ended up joining the crew.

Khan was a bit of a waste here. The first half of the movie set him up brilliantly but then he really didn't do all that much in the second half. As someone above me noted, he was defeated in a rather lame way.

__________________
RIP Heath Ledger, the Best Joker Ever.
RachelDawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #21
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 21,213
Default Re: What Were Your DISLIKES?

My dislikes:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
-Cupcake and the other redshirt were killed a bit too easily and perfunctorily, as if the hand of Abrams came in from the sky and plucked them out of the movie just for convenience

-The transition from the warp battle and the Enterprise almost crashing to the Earth seemed to be missing some expository script in between those two points

__________________
Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:30 PM   #22
nbanflguy
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 167
Default Re: What Were Your DISLIKES?

I don't think Khan was defeated too easily
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
He survived a ship crash from space, went on the run, multiple really high jumps, a intense fist fight with Spock, getting shot by Urah's stun gun like 5 times from close range, and finally getting knocked out after repeated blows to the head with a piece of metal.

nbanflguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #23
Skrilla31
Side-Kick
 
Skrilla31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 783
Default Re: What Were Your DISLIKES?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
I didn't really like all the copying of other films. I was hoping this would be its own thing and not worry about what fans want or what other movies did. Really failed hard at that. The third act just kind of fell apart for me. But I did still love the movie. Easily the best blockbuster of the year so far
I loved it but I agree. I had no idea about any spoilers so when he revealed himself to be Khan it hit me kind of hard. Totally wasn't expecting that.

Maybe this has all gone over my head, but I still don't see the point in connecting the two universes. Was it really necessary to put Leonard Nemoy in these things? I mean god sakes, couldn't everyone just live with the fact that these new movies were a re-imagining? Did they HAVE to make it so that it takes place within the same continuity? WHO CARES. That's like having Christian Bale's Batman take his cues from Michael Keaton's Batman in The Dark Knight. "Watch out Bruce, The Joker is unlike any enemy you've faced before. You need to be extra careful when dealing with this maniac. Trust me, I know."

And yet despite this major problem I have with it... I still thought it was awesome.

Skrilla31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:10 AM   #24
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!
 
Tony Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: In a cave with a box of scraps
Posts: 7,792
Default Re: What Were Your DISLIKES?

The ending was a bit rushed but that's about it.

By the way people revealing the twist with John Harrison need to use spoiler tags. I feel like this is the Mandarin thing all over again where people weren't even being coy about leaking spoilers.

__________________
“Whenever you see somebody crossing over to something it gives it pop. Like Murder She Wrote and Magnum [P.I.] — great crossover. I got excited.” Joss Whedon on Spider-man joining the Avengers.
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:19 AM   #25
dru-zod2501
Side-Kick
 
dru-zod2501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 739
Default Re: What Were Your DISLIKES?

As much as I liked it, my biggest complaint was the repeatedly absurd coincidences needed to move the plot forward, totally ruined the flow
For example:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Scotty just happens to throw a tantrum and quit so he's away from the disabled Enterprise and conveniently close enough to Earth to investigate the random coordinates the villain just happens to give out so Scotty can be on the battleship to disable it just when it's about to fire on the Enterprise?????


not the only thing that comes to mind, but it was things like that that annoyed me

dru-zod2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.