The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Trek > Star Trek Into Darkness

Old 05-19-2013, 04:22 AM   #51
Octoberist
point blank

Default Re: What Were Your DISLIKES?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Well, the logistics are kind of iffy. How long did it take them to get from the edge of Klingon space to Earth? A few minutes?

Also apparently you can call a person's cellphone in San Francisco from deep space. Must be some phone plan.

That didn't bother me too much.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:53 AM   #52
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

It does make me wonder why they didn't do that in the previous movie, when Earth was in peril.

Thundercrack85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #53
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

I was more or less enjoying the movie as a typical dumb, scifi action space movie for most of it. I did roll my eyes when Cumberbatch was revealed as Khan. It just screamed, "We have no good ideas of our own so get the Star Trek equivalent of the Joker in this movie NOW!". But I was still enjoying Cumberbatch's performance, such as it was. But when they started the whole ripoff, er.......homage of WoK with a twist that a five year old could have come up with, I was just like no, no, no....you haven't earned the right to be here and do this if you want me to feel anything other than insulted. I was laughing by the time Spock was yelling Khan's name. And I am not now nor have I ever been a Trek fan. But WoK is still one of my favorite movies and a classic. It transcends Star Trek. This last bit in the film took it from a movie that was mildly enjoyable but nothing special(like the first film) to a film that started to really piss me off. I left the movie in a worse mood than I went into it with and that is never a good thing.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #54
cph9fa
Side-Kick

Just saw it today, and enjoyed it more than I thought I would (I grew up with TNG and VOY, but never cared much for TOS). But my biggest gripe (and the only thing that broke my suspension of disbelief) was when the Enterprise's power goes out in Earth orbit, and it suddenly starts to literally fall from the sky. Aside from the transition into that section feeling rushed and coming out of nowhere, that's nothing at all like how orbits work.

cph9fa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #55
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

My only major complaint was the Enterprise itselfs getting a short shrift. We barely got to see it in action, I was expecting one major space based fight with the enterprise and another ship, but no, we didnt get it.

Would have loved to see it trade blows with the Vengeance before the whole Kirk and Khan space-hopping across to it, or even after when Khan took over it.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #56
johnrain
Side-Kick

Hated the fact that the Klingons didn't have battle cruisers respond to the Enterprise crossing the neutral zone to enter their space.

The transwarp beaming thing is too far fetched.

johnrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #57
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

So I just watched JJ's interview on Conan and I was shocked that the clip they showed was about half of the final battle with Khan. Just goes to show you how lame of a final action sequence that is

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #58
Rowsdower!
Mightiest Mortal?

My two big issues with the movie:

1. There was little to know exploration in this film, and not much of an alien presence. These are things I felt were needed, because much of the first film took place on earth. We got to see a little bit of Kronos, but that was pretty much it. We got to see an alien planet at the very beginning, but that was what, 10 minutes? I found the film too earth-centric. It almost felt like an extra chapter to the first film, rather than a true sequel.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I think I could have lived with them aping Wrath of Khan if they didn't ACTUALLY HAVE OLD SPOCK CALL THEM UP AND TELL THEM HOW TO DEFEAT KHAN. I mean, seriously? That was just the epitome of laziness, and it was completely unnecessary. Kirk didn't have to make contact with William Shatner to find out how to fix the reactor. So having Nimoy tell Spock how to defeat Khan was pointless; he should have just figured it out by himself.

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #59
Fox
Side-Kick

My biggest dislike (or perhaps my biggest concern for the future of the series) is actually the portrayal of the women in this film.

Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #60
FreeRadical
HAIL HYDRA!

- 'Harrison' transporting from Earth to Qo'nos (Kronos). What's the point using Starships then?

- Kirk using his communicator to call Scotty from Qo'nos to Earth.

- When the Enterprise was damaged by the Vengance, and they were by the moon, where were the other Starfleet ships? The crew were on home turf, a simple call to any surrounding ships for back up and there you go, a small fleet of starships attacking the Vengeance and the Enterprise pulled back to Spacedock. Earlier Trek films would explain why the Enterprise was by itself, and the time it would take for other ships to come over e.g Nemesis. If a Trek TV show and First Contact can show a fleet of Starships in our solar system attacking a Borg cube, or the Dominion war being shown every week in DS9, why with a larger budget than any of those examples could Into Darkness not show that?

- Khan's blood can bring back the dead.

- Prime Spock's cameo. Didn't think the filmmakers would do it, get Spock to ask Spock Prime how he dealt with a problem back in his universe, but they did.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:33 AM   #61
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Prime Spock cameo was stupid and pointless. It was fan wanking.

I think the tech in this world has become too powerful.

Has beaming ever been that powerful before?

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:36 AM   #62
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

The only tech thing that bugged me was the casual interstellar cell phone call.

Thundercrack85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:03 AM   #63
Supercajun
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadical View Post
- 'Harrison' transporting from Earth to Qo'nos (Kronos). What's the point using Starships then?

- Kirk using his communicator to call Scotty from Qo'nos to Earth.

- When the Enterprise was damaged by the Vengance, and they were by the moon, where were the other Starfleet ships? The crew were on home turf, a simple call to any surrounding ships for back up and there you go, a small fleet of starships attacking the Vengeance and the Enterprise pulled back to Spacedock.
Your first question is because Starfleet confiscated Scotty's transwarp beaming equation and was keeping it secret with Section 31. Harrison was working for Section 31 and got the equation and used it in his nefarious scheme.

The second question is most likely the communicator is somehow tied into the Enterprise subspace communication system and it can boost the range of the communicator while aboard ship.

Third question answer is most likely when Uhura contacted Starfleet and told them that they had Harrison, Marcus probably sent the other ships at Earth on other assignments and then warped in the Vengeance to the Enterprise to get Harrison and destroy Kirk and company.

Supercajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #64
Chris B
Side-Kick

I'd have to agree with those saying the Enterprise could've seen more action than it did. Just a short firefight with the Vengence would've worked.

As good as Cumberbatch was in the role, I would've prefered to have seen Edgar Ramirez or Benicio del Toro as Khan instead if only for faithfullness to Moltanban.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #65
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Cumberbatch was great in the role, but unfortunately due to the script not giving him much memorable to do, I doubt we'll be seeing him on any "Best Film Villains" lists a few years from now.

Shame, really. I love seeing Cumberbatch in a villain role.

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #66
Rowsdower!
Mightiest Mortal?

My issue with Cumberbatch is
that he really didn't feel like "Khan" to me. I think he played a great villain, but it seemed like a totally different character than the Khan we're used to. I'm not talking about his look or his accent so much as his motivations and characterization. The Khan of the original timeline we this sort of sexy barbarian type of guy. He was highly intelligent yes, but he also had this need to conquer and vanquish anyone he view as inferior. He also had a very healthy sexual appetite. The Khan in this version seemed more like an asexual assassin type. I don't know; I just think it would have been better had they made him a different character altogether.

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #67
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I agree, I think he should've been a new character.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #68
warhorse78
Side-Kick

OK, loved the movie, but there were some things I didn't like.

Didn't care for Carol Marcus, she was useless, and nothing more than a pretty face (shame, she could have had some more relevance)

I am not a Star Trek fan, so all this reference to Khan means nothing to me, but even then, I think they already had a good villain, in the Admiral Marcus. Should have just used him, as someone trying to use the Enterprise as collatoral damage to intiate a war with the Klingons. Maybe they could have had Cumberbatch play his top soldier or something, but he should have been an entirely new character.

Too much crying going on.

I hated the Uhura coming down to help Spock. I think it should have been a battle of wits between Spock and Khan, and no one else. Vulcans are superior beings in themselves, it just takes some provocation to spar their violent tendencies, and Kirk dying was perfect for Spock to lose it.

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #69
runawayboulder
Spider-Sense...saturated

This whole thread seems like a lot of nit-picking to me. I saw the film today and loved it. It was a worthy sequel. Sure, perhaps some characters like Carol Marcus and McCoy could have had bigger roles but after all there's only so much time in a movie.

Khan served his role well, he killed a lot of people in San Francisco and exposed a dark secret behind Starfleet and it's top leaders only to be buried again later. That's going to come back and bite Starfleet in the ass when he's woken up once the Klingons come looking for a fight.....a plot that's going to obviously be picked up on in the next movie. Starfleet and Earth are now harboring a man that murdered a ton of Klingons and innocent people on Earth. Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture.

runawayboulder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #70
Fox
Side-Kick

See, if anything I feel like JJ WASN'T looking at the bigger picture. I agree that there's a solid framework for the next film, but I get the impression that a lot of it is going to be ignored.

You can see my full list of issues here:
http://fenskeland.blogspot.ca/2013/0...letter-to.html

I hope I'm wrong.

Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:38 AM   #71
succumbtofear
Man With Chops

Not enough Chekov - TOO much added in CG lens flare. I missed a good 10th of the film from looking away and rubbing my eyes. I know thats JJ's *thing,* but someone needs to tell him to stop it.

succumbtofear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:05 AM   #72
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Would it have killed the writers of this movie to just have it be its own thing and not constantly referencing the older films. It really got annoying. And by the time Spock shouts Khaaaannnn I jusy wanted to pack uo and leave.

I thought the point of this was to reinvent the series. Instead of having a 'Khan' for the new generation they just rehashed an old character.

"Sure thing kiddo, I'll just keep pretending to put food in your mouth and clothes on your gorram back"
Ultra Nolanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:59 PM   #73
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun

A lot of the Khan stuff doesn't really make sense.In the original,Khan was Indian,here he's British.Now,if we take into account Nero screwed up the time stream on the day of Kirk's birth,that should mean that Khan's history remained unaltered.(He was still a tyrant in the 1990's,went into space in '96 And Was Still Indian!) Also I recall him saying he was from 300 years ago,but the time from the actual series stated that it was 200 years.

I can understand (and a lot of people have brought this up) that this is "Space Seed Khan" not the "I will avenge you!" Khan from WoK,but did you see any evidence he would become that character in the future?What does he have to avenge if/when he returns?That Spock caught him and put him back on ice?I just want to see a really ticked off Khan in the sequel,but I don't think they have the means for it based on this film.

Human Torch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #74
Shazam
Side-Kick

Just saw the movie.......My dislike?1. Spock and Uhura being forced together....What made the Nimoy Spock unique was his control of his emotions.....and now he has a main squeeze?? Now he's just like everybody else on the ship.

Last edited by Shazam; 05-31-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #75
Shazam
Side-Kick

Also.....you mean to tell me that the whitest ....pastiest....most blue-eyed guy on the planet replaced Ricardo Montaban? Lou Diamond Phillps wasnt available? Jimmy Smitts? Somebody who could pull off being named Khan Noonian Singn?

Last edited by Shazam; 05-31-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote