The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #126
KingMadness
Side-Kick
 
KingMadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 567
Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
I'm not exactly TDKR's biggest defender but I don't think it's fair to say that Bruce doesn't give a **** about Gotham. Part of the reason why he became a recluse was because he can't be Batman anymore and he can't help Gotham as Bruce Wayne (failed energy project). If anything, he was all about Gotham. The guy pretty much gave his life for Gotham.

"This city needs me."

"I do fear death. I fear dying in here while my city burns with no one there to save it."

"You don't owe this people anymore. You've given them everything."
"Not everything. Not yet."
Do you understand the amount of good a powerful business like Bruce Wayne could have done for Gotham in 8 years? Don't give me that bull****. He let his company go under, hundreds of his employees will now go unemployed. He apparently stopped donating to charities, and the big projects he pursued failed.

Don't even get me started on the recluse part. The guy didn't workout for 8 years. He monitored Gotham in case he needed to be Batman without keeping his body and mind in shape just in case he needed to be Batman.

__________________
Giants~Yankees~Knicks
</crude>AVATAR KORRA GOT A FATTY</crude>

KingMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #127
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

And Bruce Wayne downright tried to do some good by fueling clean energy for his city which he had to shut down when he found out someone could turn it into a nuclear bomb. He gets negative points for trying and not succeeding in doing something for his city?

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #128
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Can't believe the bat forums are still going strong. Commitment.

The movie isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It was however coming off the greatest superhero movie of all time... TDK, not the Avengers. So there's no way it was ever going to get close to the reviews and feedback it deserved.
No one would say The Avengers anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMadness View Post
Bastardizations.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #129
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
No one would say The Avengers anyways
No? Last year? Avengers forums?

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #130
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

Nope.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #131
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

Oh, they were.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #132
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,874
Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

Oh yeah, some Avengers fans even got insulted if you tried to say it wasn't as good as TDK.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #133
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Oh yeah, some Avengers fans even got insulted if you tried to say it wasn't as good as TDK.
The new Star Wars of cinema, right?

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #134
the last son
Side-Kick
 
the last son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,978
Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

This forum is hardly going strong. Its the same people arguing the same points. i'm losing faith in superhero movies. They are all becoming boring and showing me the exact same story.

__________________
"I'm Drunk right now, because I'm an alcoholic"
the last son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:32 PM   #135
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

Don't lose faith in CBMs just because of a part of the forum dedicated to a film that was released a year ago, lol.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #136
the last son
Side-Kick
 
the last son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,978
Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

Oh no not because of these forums. Mainly due to avengers and im3. I mean those films were pure crap. Tdkr wasn't for me but at least it tried. if mos fails I may never see another movie in theaters again.

__________________
"I'm Drunk right now, because I'm an alcoholic"
the last son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:55 PM   #137
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

Well, yah, IM3 didn't lighten my hopes when it comes to the genre at all, but...I'm sure MOS will deliver

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:17 PM   #138
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9,200
Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
Oh no not because of these forums. Mainly due to avengers and im3. I mean those films were pure crap. Tdkr wasn't for me but at least it tried. if mos fails I may never see another movie in theaters again.
Do you only watch CBM's or something?

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:00 AM   #139
CFE
This is a job for...
 
CFE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: At The Movies
Posts: 8,978
Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
Oh no not because of these forums. Mainly due to avengers and im3. I mean those films were pure crap. Tdkr wasn't for me but at least it tried. if mos fails I may never see another movie in theaters again.

__________________
Follow CFE on Facebook

Chas Blankenship's "BAT-MANIA - The Exhibition Blog" -- Chas Blankenship's "SUPER-MANIA - The Exhibition Blog" - Coming Soon
CFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #140
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFE View Post
BTW, have you written a TDKR review, CFE?

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #141
doobie
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 432
Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

Batman Begins is my most powerful movie experience of all time. It just captured the magic of comic books for me in a way no other film has. With every other DC or Nolan Batman film, I waited for the magic to happen again, but it didn't. Now I'm pinning all my hopes on Man Of Steel. If it doesn't once again change my life the way Begins did, superheros in the movies are over for me. I'll watch them if I have to, but I won't get excited about them.

doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #142
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,874
Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

I think there's something to be said for age. Let's face it, we were all 8 years younger in 2005. I can't speak for everyone because we're all different ages obviously, but I know for me personally a LOT changed in those 8 years.

Basically, I think whether you realize it or not, you get more jaded and harder to please with age. I'm really excited for Man of Steel, it looks friggin' awesome, but I'm honestly not sure if it's going to be able to capture the same "magic" for me simply because I'm almost 27 and I'm in such a different place in my life now than I was when I was at 19 (and 23 even). Begins came in at the perfect time in life. Things are just different now too, fanboy culture is more prevalent than ever in the mainstream. Nerd has become the norm. It's like people expect to have a religious experience with these types of movies now.

Even when I really enjoy a CBM now it's a different experience than the pure unadulterated joy I used to get from watching them. In a lot of ways TDKR felt like it was the end of the ride for me. The story told by the trilogy had a huge impact on me personally and there will be no replacing that. That's not to say this MOS franchise won't end up being that special thing for diehard Supes fans and the generation right behind mine, and I hope it is. And if it manages to truly blow my mind in the process and bring me along for the long haul, then awesome! I just am preparing for the possibility of the CBM genre being something I start to slowly enjoy more casually. I'll always go see them because I'm always going to love going to summer movies. But it's probably unfair for me to expect every movie to put me in that state of pure childlike wonder without the effect getting somewhat diluted after a while.

I hope that wasn't too much of a downer rant. And don't get me wrong I really am excited for MoS, easily my most anticipated film of the summer. Just some thoughts that have been stewing around for a while.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #143
JackWhite
Third Man
 
JackWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,608
Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I think there's something to be said for age. Let's face it, we were all 8 years younger in 2005. I can't speak for everyone because we're all different ages obviously, but I know for me personally a LOT changed in those 8 years.

Basically, I think whether you realize it or not, you get more jaded and harder to please with age. I'm really excited for Man of Steel, it looks friggin' awesome, but I'm honestly not sure if it's going to be able to capture the same "magic" for me simply because I'm almost 27 and I'm in such a different place in my life now than I was when I was at 19 (and 23 even). Begins came in at the perfect time in life. Things are just different now too, fanboy culture is more prevalent than ever in the mainstream. Nerd has become the norm. It's like people expect to have a religious experience with these types of movies now.

Even when I really enjoy a CBM now it's a different experience than the pure unadulterated joy I used to get from watching them. In a lot of ways TDKR felt like it was the end of the ride for me. The story told by the trilogy had a huge impact on me personally and there will be no replacing that. That's not to say this MOS franchise won't end up being that special thing for diehard Supes fans and the generation right behind mine, and I hope it is. And if it manages to truly blow my mind in the process and bring me along for the long haul, then awesome! I just am preparing for the possibility of the CBM genre being something I start to slowly enjoy more casually. I'll always go see them because I'm always going to love going to summer movies. But it's probably unfair for me to expect every movie to put me in that state of pure childlike wonder without the effect getting somewhat diluted after a while.

I hope that wasn't too much of a downer rant. And don't get me wrong I really am excited for MoS, easily my most anticipated film of the summer. Just some thoughts that have been stewing around for a while.
We were pretty much the same age when we watched this trilogy. For me, with TDK-Trilogy; everything just clicked with those films. I remember seeing American Psycho back in 2002 and even though I didn't quite get the film upon my first viewing, I really wanted Bale to play Bruce/Batman. Then I remember seeing Memento for the first time in Psychology class during my grad year and was pretty blown away by what Nolan did with that film. I had no idea the Memento guy and Christian Bale would be at the helm for BB. Heck, even when I saw the rest of the cast - Liam Neeson, Gary Oldman, Michael Cain and Morgan freakin' Freeman, I just couldn't believe this was the cast for not just a Batman movie, but a comic book film.

But yeah, I could go on and on and on about my experience with this trilogy, but now's not the time, lol. On to MOS, I'm really excited for it and I'm getting some serious BB vibes with the epic scope yet it being this personal journey. Plus the outstanding, Oscar caliber cast. I'm not a big Superman fan, but this looks like something I could actually champion if it's as good as it looks to be.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #144
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,874
Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
We were pretty much the same age when we watched this trilogy. For me, with TDK-Trilogy; everything just clicked with those films. I remember seeing American Psycho back in 2002 and even though I didn't quite get the film upon my first viewing, I really wanted Bale to play Bruce/Batman. Then I remember seeing Memento for the first time in Psychology class during my grad year and was pretty blown away by what Nolan did with that film. I had no idea the Memento guy and Christian Bale would be at the helm for BB. Heck, even when I saw the rest of the cast - Liam Neeson, Gary Oldman, Michael Cain and Morgan freakin' Freeman, I just couldn't believe this was the cast for not just a Batman movie, but a comic book film.

But yeah, I could go on and on and on about my experience with this trilogy, but now's not the time, lol. On to MOS, I'm really excited for it and I'm getting some serious BB vibes with the epic scope yet it being this personal journey. Plus the outstanding, Oscar caliber cast. I'm not a big Superman fan, but this looks like something I could actually champion if it's as good as it looks to be.
Yeah sounds like our experiences were mirrored. I was a very big fan of American Psycho back in 02-03, and like you I probably didn't fully understand it at the time but I just thought Bale was hilarious and charismatic in the role. I used to always love quoting that movie with friends in HS. I feel like every Batman fan at least subconsciously wanted him to play Batman after that movie.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #145
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun
 
Brain Damage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,861
Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

Begins was one of the best movie experiences of my life. I had incredibly high expectations, and it delivered on every cylinder and then some.

TDK took a bit to sink it. I could tell from the first viewing that there was some real greatness there, but it was only on the second or third that I realized just how great the overall product was. Since then it's become one of my favorite movies.

TDKR was weird. At first I liked it but there were definitely things that didn't work for me - more than I expected. I saw it at midnight in IMAX and planned to go see it at least twice on opening day, but then I woke up and Colorado had happened and lots of fans were bashing the film and there was just a whole lotta negativity in the air, so I didn't. I saw it four or five times in theaters and what's weird is the things I liked, I liked better, the things I didn't like, I liked worse. Now it's a very mixed bag for me, and I'm sad to say I've only watched it twice since buying the blu-ray.

__________________
WHO APPOINTED THE BATMAN?

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #146
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post
Begins was one of the best movie experiences of my life. I had incredibly high expectations, and it delivered on every cylinder and then some.
Agree. Before Batman Begins, I only had that feeling with Spider-Man of watching something that could be so special to the genre, and BB was. It was this phenomenal origin and start to something great. Spider-Man made me feel this way, Batman Begins did, Captain America: The First Avenger made me feel that way and I get the same kind of excitement when I see the Man of Steel trailers and TV spots.

Note: I'm not bringing up Superman: The Movie or Batman '89 as those movies that really got me excited for the genre because I am referring to films that I actually saw at the theatres.

Quote:
TDK took a bit to sink it. I could tell from the first viewing that there was some real greatness there, but it was only on the second or third that I realized just how great the overall product was. Since then it's become one of my favorite movies.
Once more, agree. I saw The Dark Knight at the midnight showing and came out a bit overwhelmed, but also not really contemplating on what I just saw. Nolan broke certain limits with a CBM and I couldn't really wrap my head around it at first because CBMs are usually straight laced that doesn't overlap itself with other genres. I obviously got past that because TDK became my second favorite CBM of all time.

Quote:
TDKR was weird. At first I liked it but there were definitely things that didn't work for me - more than I expected. I saw it at midnight in IMAX and planned to go see it at least twice on opening day, but then I woke up and Colorado had happened and lots of fans were bashing the film and there was just a whole lotta negativity in the air, so I didn't. I saw it four or five times in theaters and what's weird is the things I liked, I liked better, the things I didn't like, I liked worse. Now it's a very mixed bag for me, and I'm sad to say I've only watched it twice since buying the blu-ray.
I disagree with this though, lol. After going through the rounds of TDK, I knew TDKR would be the same in that it would stretch the boards with other genres, as well as this being the final part of this amazing trilogy and I love the fact that it did have some finality to it. I loved some characters others didn't(Blake and Foley...although it took time for me to really like Foley) and I didn't mind characters that others didn't like(Miranda/Talia and how she represented a dark mirrored Rachel). It could have used more time and it could have been broken(no pun intended) into two parts, but the final product was perfectly fine for me.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #147
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,874
Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

Aurora really put a sour note on the whole experience for me. It just was such a punch in the gut to think that fans just like us were murdered in cold blood on a night so many of us had been gleefully anticipating for so long. Still chills me to the bone. I was feeling so good and relieved when I walked out of the movie because the ending just soared for me and everything just felt so amazingly triumphant. I really felt like whatever quibbles might one find with the film aside, the trilogy had ended on the perfect note, and endings are just so damn important and have a huge impact on your overall feeling about a movie. That great feeling I had only lasted about an hour as my friends and I heard the news on the way home.

Moving forward I was able to separate the tragedy from the film itself, but I will forever loathe the filth that is James Holmes for ruining July 20, 2012.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #148
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

The following couple weeks after my own midnight showing, after I found out what totally happened, I continued to look at the exit door in every theatre room I went...you could call it paranoid, because I know I could even call it that. Ready to throw my knife like a ninja star at any second

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #149
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,874
Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

I think everyone tried to be a little more alert after that, at least I know I felt it.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #150
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

The irony in that what Bruce Wayne set out for in the trilogy...for anyone to not be afraid and to be more vigilant...that shooting caused that vigilance so to speak because it called for more people to be vocal if they spot something out of the ordinary.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.